New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dorukans rift

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Dorukans rift

Does anybody have any idea what's happening over at Dorukan's rift? Just a recent thought I had on the rifts.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Dorukan's rift

As far as we know, it's an uncontrolled tear in space and time surrounded by the desolate, pulverized remains of what once was Dorukan's fortress.

Although it would probably be reasonable to speculate that it might have grown in size and tentacles of the Snarl might have reached out through it, it's still probably in the most remote location of the four Gates destroyed so far (no woodland creatures, goblinoid cities, or massing armies are known to be nearby).
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Dorukans rift

Nothing different than what's happening at Azure City, I'd say.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Nothing different than what's happening at Azure City, I'd say.
    Other than the key difference that the rift in the Redmountain Hills isn't overshadowing a major metropolitan area.

Although fundamentally, yes, Dorukan's rift has probably grown as well, it just doesn't have the same number of people around to check on it and find out. Then again, that's easily solved by somebody scrying on the location in question, assuming the Snarl doesn't just fry the mind of anyone who tries.
    Last edited by TheNecrocomicon; 2016-11-02 at 01:48 PM.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Other than the key difference that the rift in the Redmountain Hills isn't overshadowing a major metropolitan area.

Although fundamentally, yes, Dorukan's rift has probably grown as well, it just doesn't have the same number of people around to check on it and find out. Then again, that's easily solved by somebody scrying on the location in question, assuming the Snarl doesn't just fry the mind of anyone who tries.
    I'm not sure scrying would work, given Cloister.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    Cloister having worn off by now is a distinct possibility.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by theasl View Post
    Celia said it disappeared "right before Xykon moved in".
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Three panels later she says "And then, poof! One day, it was back."

However, the Cloister has to have expired by now, given the length of time it's been since it could have last been cast at Dorukan's Gate.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Default Re: Dorukans rift

Of course, depending on exactly how the rate of growth for rifts work, the Redmountain Rift could be colossal by now. On the other hand, I seem to remember Redcloak suggesting the Azure City/Gobbotopia Rift's growth had slowed, but we have no idea if that's a function of time since the Gate was destroyed or of the Rift's overall size.

And it's possibly Dorukan's self-destruct sequence was designed specifically to make sure the Gate was destroyed in a safe manner (ie, not induce or minimize Rift expansion), as opposed to "smashed by sword". But this is all getting into wild speculation.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    Then nothing different than what's happening at Lirian's rift, I'd say.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Huh. Figures, I even missed the adjacent panel....

Still, I'm wondering if Xykon's Cloister wore off when Roy threw him into the Gate. A diviner from Azure City scried the area after the mountain blew up, after all; that wouldn't have worked if Cloister was still active.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

However, the Cloister has to have expired by now, given the length of time it's been since it could have last been cast at Dorukan's Gate.
    Wait, how long has it been? Has there been some keeping-track-of-the-timeline thing going on that I've missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    Of course, depending on exactly how the rate of growth for rifts work, the Redmountain Rift could be colossal by now. On the other hand, I seem to remember Redcloak suggesting the Azure City/Gobbotopia Rift's growth had slowed, but we have no idea if that's a function of time since the Gate was destroyed or of the Rift's overall size.
    Of course, since the Azure City was the smallest, Dorukan's rift could easily have a much larger equilibrium size.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Still, I'm wondering if Xykon's Cloister wore off when Roy threw him into the Gate. A diviner from Azure City scried the area after the mountain blew up, after all; that wouldn't have worked if Cloister was still active.
    That's a distinct possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Blade Wolf View Post
    Ah, thank you very much GreatWyrmGold, you obviously live up to that name with your intelligence and wisdom with that post.
    Quotes, more

Winner of Villainous Competitions 8 and 40; silver for 32
    Fanfic

Pixel avatar by me! Other avatar by Recaiden.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWyrmGold View Post
    Wait, how long has it been? Has there been some keeping-track-of-the-timeline thing going on that I've missed?
    I'm not sure if there is a timeline anywhere on the forums, but this one is pretty simple.

The Cloister spell one week per caster level. And we know that it's been close to a year since Team Evil conquered Azure City (if not a year by now). The Class/Level thread's estimates of Xykon's level, as far as I know, range from low 20s to low 30s. Given the estimates of time between Xykon's defeat at Dorkuan's Gate and his conquest of Azure City, and the time between #702 and now, it's possible Xykon, if he re-cast the spell not long before the OOTS arrived, would have had to be at least level 60 or so for it to still be active. And I'm not sure that's either practically or mechanically possible.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure if there is a timeline anywhere on the forums, but this one is pretty simple.

The Cloister spell one week per caster level. And we know that it's been close to a year since Team Evil conquered Azure City (if not a year by now). The Class/Level thread's estimates of Xykon's level, as far as I know, range from low 20s to low 30s. Given the estimates of time between Xykon's defeat at Dorkuan's Gate and his conquest of Azure City, and the time between #702 and now, it's possible Xykon, if he re-cast the spell not long before the OOTS arrived, would have had to be at least level 60 or so for it to still be active. And I'm not sure that's either practically or mechanically possible.
    Mechanically, totally possible. There is no level cap, so the only thing preventing him from reaching level 60, mechanically, is a lack of things that grant exp to him.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!