New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Druid question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Druid question

Hey all.

I'm going to be running a new campaign here in the near future, and have the pleasure of "breaking in" a buddy of mine who's never played D&D. He says he likes the general feel of a Druid, but isn't interested in Wild Shape. It was at this point that I realized I never really paid much attention to the Druid class or its alternates. I've done a bit of a cursory search and am coming up relatively empty handed.

Is there any published alternatives for Druids who want to not have shape-shifting, or would it perhaps be better to point him in the direction of being a "druid-like" nature cleric of some sort?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Druid question

Is this 3.5 or Pathfinder?

If it's 3.5 or some mixture, the variant druid from Unearthed Arcana (p. 58) trades away wild shape for several monk and ranger abilities.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

There's always the Unearthed Arcana variants.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...terClasses.htm

The druid might choose to give up her wild shape ability in exchange for becoming a swift and deadly hunter.

Gain
    Bonus to Armor Class when unarmored (as monk, including Wisdom bonus to AC), fast movement (as monk), favored enemy (as ranger), swift tracker (as ranger), Track feat (as ranger).

Lose
    Armor and shield proficiency, wild shape (all versions).
    That might be more like what he's looking for.

EDIT: never been swordsaged before
    Last edited by Jarmen4u; 2016-11-02 at 09:01 PM.

Strength is being able to crush a tomato, Dexterity is being able to dodge a tomato, Constitution is being able to eat a bad tomato, Intelligence is knowing a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to put a tomato in a fruit salad, Charisma is being able to sell a tomato-based fruit salad
    But..... isn't a tomato-based fruit salad... salsa?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I apologize, should have been more specific. Yes, it is indeed 3.5. I will investigate this UA varient. Thank you :).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: Druid question

Have you seen eggynacks druid encyclopedia?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...Druid-Handbook

There are several options for trading away wildshape. All of them are weaker than wildshape, but a well played druid is going to be amazing even intentionally weakening itself by trading it out.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well, thank you for your speedy responses! I've brought the UA alternative to his attention and he seems pretty keen on it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Ranger has the druid's animal companion and woodsy feel; clerics have a plethora of nature deities and nature-related domains to pick from. Here's some Druid ACFs that will remove or change wild shape:

Spoiler
    Show

City-Shape (CS, web): Smaller wild shapes, but gain the ability to change into vermin.

Deadly Hunter (UA, p 58): Gain bonus to AC when unarmored and fast movement (as monk). Gain favored enemy, track, and swift tracker as a ranger. Lose armor and shield proficiency and wild shape.

Aspect of the Dragon (DrM, p 11): You don't gain wildshape. Instead take on various aspects of dragons.

Drow Druid (DU, p58): Wildshape into a monstrous spider instead of animals.

Halfling Druid Substitution Levels (RW, p 157) 5th level: Undersized Wildshape (wildshape limited to smaller forms, usable more times per day)

Shapeshifter (PHB 2, p 39): Lose animal companion and wildshape. Gain the ability to change into several forms, with set bonuses, at will.

Waste Vermin Wildshape (SSt, p 47): Wildshape into a wasteland vermin, lose 1 wildshape/day.

Don't forget that Wildshape isn't a class feature until 5th level, so he could always just start a regular druid, and then if by level 5 he still feels the same, then he can make a choice about it. I think that you might want to ask what exactly it is about the druid that he likes, especially if it's fluff. Many classes can easily be fluffed to be more in-tune with nature, and if it's more of a character personality thing than a fluff thing, he could play most any class, really. I think that if he's okay with a more complex character sheet, cleric and druid probably offer the most versatility in terms of build if there's something specific he's looking for.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!" – Kubrick, "Dr. Strangelove"
    I do still exist. I'm active on discord. Priestess of Neptune#8648