New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Bad Naming Conventions

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilarRaven View Post
    I've also used Mitsubishi, and Suzuki.
    Don't feel too bad about Suzuki. It's a legitimate and somewhat common Japanese surname; the company was named after the dude who started it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Amevil. Yesi Amevil.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berenger View Post
    Amevil. Yesi Amevil.
    And suddenly I need to write down the names of EVERY Ace attorney character ever.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berenger View Post
    Amevil. Yesi Amevil.
    I have a strange urge to name my dwarf Murr daHobo.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    I have a nasty habit of copying character names from campaign journals.

I've played a Paddock, a Marilus, a Kemen, a Murdoc, a Vardon...
    and that's not counting the names taken from other games like Aribeth, Griswold, and Kerensky. I'm just glad my group hasn't picked up on my lack of naming imagination.
    Kerensky made me die

Quote Originally Posted by Âmesang View Post
    WORLD OF GREYHAWK® has a character named Melf ("male elf"). All other names invalidated.

(Though to be fair, I believe the character was made by one of Gygax's children who was quite young at the time.)
    Wait, is that where Melf's acid arrow comes from?

Anyway, we had a ranger named Power. A player also accepted the PH tip to use Enkyl as his dwarf's name. It meant "up the ***" in the local dialect.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Enzin Red-Chert
    Yxpin Däble
    Kanone Phoderr
    Mia Tzschield
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2016-11-15 at 03:18 PM.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

7. - Top - End - #97

Played in a game once where there was a fighter named Marvin Mcguy. He was an NPC.

Oddly enough, we used nothing but having him use a Bastard Sword and a Tower shield and have him be a 10th level fighter, and just using the feats from core and Complete Warrior, he was a surprisingly effective character.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Wait, is that where Melf's acid arrow comes from?
    Yes.

The named spells were characters and members of the Circle of Eight. Melf, Bigby, Nystul, Mordenkainen, Tenser, Otto, Otiluke, Drawmij, Rary. Same goes for a lot of the "named" items.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Perishment TrowelChef? I can keep doing this all day.

Oblivion SpoonHatter

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

It is not quite an RPG thing but I would like to give due to one...
    Spoiler: Hiro Protagonist
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    It is not quite an RPG thing but I would like to give due to one...
    Spoiler: Hiro Protagonist
    Show
    I want that book as a movie RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D+1 View Post
    I want that book as a movie RIGHT FREAKIN' NOW.
    Who's going to play the main character? I mean he's a black Asian man, it's not like there are any African-American or Asian actors.

In all seriousness, I love the book (and as this thread shows, Hiro Protagonist makes some sense as a taken name), but this is the main problem I can see there being for a film. I was actually okay with the casting in GitS (seeing as the Major is in a full replacement body), my problems with that are they seem to have gone for a rather generic plot and so had to change the Major's character (she knew who she was, as far as I understood it the pondering was 'am I literally the same person'). I have half a feeling Takeshi Kovacs is only getting a TV series because he spends the entirety of Altered Carbon (an awesome book) in a white body.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #103

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    This naming trend can work out quite well if a key part of the character's personality is their pompousness/vanity/inflated ego/delusions of grandeur/scam. Like, the person playing the character intends the character to be full of s***.
    My current character: Kadal Sandford aka Kadal the Hunter, aka Kadal Monstersbane, aka Old Deadye, aka the Hawk of Darromar. All self-applied, naturally.

A game I used to play in had a halfling cleric called Randy Inappropriate Goblinsqueezer. Little badass, that guy.

14. - Top - End - #104

MonkGuy

And in the solo campaign I'm running now I came up, on the spot, with the name Jones for a caravan guard on the same caravan as the hero.

Later the hero opened an ancient magical glass bottle that summoned a shadow version of herself from the plane of shadow, which I put in as a potential main plot hook for the campaign. She had Jones with her at the time and she tried to persuade Jones to open the bottle for her. She failed her persuasion check; if she hadn't then the BBEG of the campaign would have been the shadow version of Jones the caravan guard.

15. - Top - End - #105

MonkGuy

[Job] is really, really common IRL for surnames (and often, less-obviously through archaic forms, given names), though. Smith, Cooper, Thatcher, Fisher, Carter, Baker, Archer, Gardener, Farmer, Fletcher, Carpenter, Tailor (often spelled "Taylor" in surnames), Weaver, Cook...and that's just a few of the obvious ones in English.
    Apparently in Britain, 8% of surnames are occupations, 19% nicknames, 23% relationships, and 50% placenames.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38003201

You weren't born an armorsmith, but your great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather might have been a really good armorsmith and it ended up as the family name. And surnames have a way of making their way into given names, such as Taylor.
    And there's a good chance the smithy was a family business, so you may well have been born to be an armoursmith.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluedrew View Post
    The worst name I have seen would be the blaster wizard that was drafted but was never used: Joe Fireball. The character of Austin Fizbang was used instead.
    On flip it round though, and ''Fireball Joe'' sounds like exactly the sort of nickname someone would get if they used that spell excessively.

EDIT: My problem with FR names is thst they feel like they're trying too hard. Candlekeep, Waterdeep, Silverymoon, the Moonsea, the Moonshae Isles, Moonwood, Neverwinter, Icewind Dale, Fane of Shadows, High Forest, Sword Coast, Castle Darkhold, etc...

Although, really, I shouldn't complain much about place names. I'm originally from Kentucky, a state with such place names as Monkey's Eyebrow, Oddville, Blandville, Fearville, Lynch, Vortex, Viper, Dwarf, Paint Lick, Black Gnat, Thousandsticks, Cutshin, Possum Trot, Tyewhoppety, Marrow Bone, and Hell-for-Certain.
    http://mentalfloss.com/article/69445...ish-town-names
    Including Westward Ho! (And yes, the exclamation mark is part of the name)
    And even the normal names sound like a cheesy fantasy setting when translated into modern English:
    http://www.omnimap.com/cgi/graphic.p...67-1081GBd.jpg
    http://www.omnimap.com/cgi/graphic.p.../67-1081Ed.jpg
    http://www.omnimap.com/cgi/graphic.p...7-1081GBd1.jpg

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm fairly solid when it comes to giving my PCs reasonable first names. It's when we get into surnames that I have my doubts. Like my first paladin, the half-orc paladin Madokar Valortouched. So called because he was born with a birthmark in the shape of Iomedae's holy symbol, the Sword of Valor.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    You get one apostrophe.

Ever.

Use it wisely.
    But I run/play a lot of things set in the fantasy equivalent of the Americas or the Pacific Islands >_>

On that note, I have a character right now named 'Opae. It's literal for "shrimp." She is not short. At all.
    Last edited by raygun goth; 2016-11-18 at 11:42 PM.
    "Scary magical hoodoo and technology are the same thing, their difference is merely cultural context" - Clarke, paraphrased

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

So I'm currently in a supers game, and my character is likely going to prison for at least a few sessions. As this is a setting with heroes like 'Mister Strong' and, I kid you not, Captain Awesome (the local Superman expy), I was considering that my next character would be a hyperintelligent uplifted orang-utan who knows Kung Fu and has a load of skill ranks.

The name I've decided to use?

Skillmonkey

It fits the setting, and works for the character.

Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by raygun goth View Post
    But I run/play a lot of things set in the fantasy equivalent of the Americas or the Pacific Islands >_>

On that note, I have a character right now named 'Opae. It's literal for "shrimp." She is not short. At all.
    I've got a half-giant gladiator named Ayanna, which roughly translates to "flower".
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    An elf named Cotton Shortz was named by a player at my table. Twerpy little punk (both the player and character).

As far as bad naming conventions go, I'm going to throw the X-Blade and War-X naming pattern that WotC got up to when coming up with stuff for 3.5.
    Don't forget all the Noun of Verbing magic items. That one goes back to at least 1st edition AD&D.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    For my 'bad naming conventions', anything with an apostrophe is banned in my games as I need to be able to pronounce it. I have a gag where I pretend that elven is just English with all the vowels replaced by apostrophes, and in some settings I'm not far off the mark. It's mainly elves where players fall into this trap, apparently it makes the names sound more exotic. It annoys me more than names with extra Xs or Zs, because at least those I can pronounce.
    "New rule: All apostrophes in fantasy names are now pronounced 'boing'." - Evil Overlady Issendai.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    See also, the various names of official D&D pantheon deities over the years. Most of them look like they came out of a random syllable generator.
    ISTR one D&D setting int he 1980s had a goddess of luck named "Arenji". I wonder if the author was an early computer geek?

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    So I'm currently in a supers game, and my character is likely going to prison for at least a few sessions. As this is a setting with heroes like 'Mister Strong' and, I kid you not, Captain Awesome (the local Superman expy), I was considering that my next character would be a hyperintelligent uplifted orang-utan who knows Kung Fu and has a load of skill ranks.

The name I've decided to use?

Skillmonkey

It fits the setting, and works for the character.
    I've made supers characters based entirely on a turn of phrase I thought was funny. (For City of Heroes, but I think still applies.)

From a name in Astro City, I made a short, rodentine humanoid with a large mallet - the Sledgehamster!
    A bitter teen mad scientist was Nerd Rage.
    A bro-ish pyrokinetic with a poorly-hidden geeky side was Burning Hans. (His sister, Scorching Raye, never got to show up.) He only avoided calling himself "Chuck Roast" because it had already been taken. (A bit of luck, that.)
    A killer robot disguised as a stuffed doll was the Shreddy Bear.

And I've seen more variations on "Icy Hot" for characters with thermal powers than I can count.
    One amusing team was a pair of women with revealing outfits and bladed weapons: Excessive Cleavage and Gratuitious Cleavage.
    Last edited by Arbane; 2016-11-20 at 01:57 AM.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    I've made supers characters based entirely on a turn of phrase I thought was funny. (For City of Heroes, but I think still applies.)

From a name in Astro City, I made a short, rodentine humanoid with a large mallet - the Sledgehamster!
    A bitter teen mad scientist was Nerd Rage.
    A bro-ish pyrokinetic with a poorly-hidden geeky side was Burning Hans. (His sister, Scorching Raye, never got to show up.) He only avoided calling himself "Chuck Roast" because it had already been taken. (A bit of luck, that.)
    A killer robot disguised as a stuffed doll was the Shreddy Bear.
    I ran a game with a few of these. Particularly notable was an electricity based superhero who's alter ego was of a waifish teenager - name of Short Circuit.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Oblivion SpoonHatter
    Null AugerAuger

I regret nothing.

One of my players is using Jeremy Kool. His excuse? "We know a guy who's last name is Kool, so it's a viable surname?"
    What time is it?

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannoneer View Post
    Null AugerAuger

I regret nothing.

One of my players is using Jeremy Kool. His excuse? "We know a guy who's last name is Kool, so it's a viable surname?"
    I had Gong Lee Master of the Flying Cow Kick in one of my M&M games. That was a fun character, the Master of bit was "borrowed" from a Hong Kong kung fu movie we all watched with really bad subtitles.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannoneer View Post
    Fun fact: 'kool' is Dutch for 'cabbage'. Just something that made this even funnier to me.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Fun fact: 'kool' is Dutch for 'cabbage'. Just something that made this even funnier to me.
    Jeremy Dutch-Cabbage. There's an interesting name.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Something fun is to string together the most posh/pompous/upper-crust sounding names possible. E.g., "Chauncey Percival St. John Billingsworth-Smythe IV, Esq."
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Colossus in the Playground

"Chauncey Percival St. John Billingsworth-Smythe IV, Esq."
    Lord of the Privy Seal, First Baron Lancaster-upon-Lancaster, O.B.E., Ph.D., K.G., Q.E.D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #118

Valentinez Alkalinella Xifax Sicidabohertz Gombigobilla Blue Stradivari Talentrent Pierre Andri Charton-Haymoss Ivanovici Baldeus George Doitzel Kaiser III.

Don't hesitate to call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    "Insert God Name"'s + "Insert Offensive Body Part".
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    It is always ok to start in a tavern.
    as long as the tavern is ON FIRE.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

Reginald Mortimer Humphrey Fairchild Delafontaine III

At Your Service. I managed to get "Mortimer Humphrey Delifontain Fairchild the III" from memory + spell check.

Also Stealth Marmot... correct me if I'm wrong but is it Vash for short?

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by cluedrew View Post
    also stealth marmot... Correct me if i'm wrong but is it vash for short?
    i hate it when you call me by my real naaaaaame!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    "Insert God Name"'s + "Insert Offensive Body Part".
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    It is always ok to start in a tavern.
    as long as the tavern is ON FIRE.