New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: A Faerie Affair - IC III: In the Court of the Faerie King

Opal thanks Cloverfield as he flits away. Once in the room, she spends 20 minutes admiring the weapons and armor without touching them. Then, she removes her armor, washes up a bit, combs her hair, and goes to bed.
    Last edited by Stan; 2016-12-15 at 06:07 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152

BardGuy

Kyu enters her room, looking around in awe. She first tests the bed making sure it's as comfortable as it looks. Her next thought is to go through all of the brushes and powders making mental note of what she would use the next day. Kyu frowned when she looked on the painting but ignored it. She didn't plan to spend a lot of time in her room anyway.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor is baffled. "Oh, ah... No. There are definitely drow and giant spiders and some weird spider monsters out there, but I don't think they work for Reena or anything..." Or could they? Some fey were working with them, true, but Kor had got the idea that they'd been coerced. It seemed like there was some bad blood between the courts, so it wouldn't be easy to find the truth.

"So, seems like people here really don't like Reena's court, huh? Have you guys fought or something?"

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Astra finishes the day with twice as many dictionaries as what she started with! You'll need a feat to dual-wield them, though. :P

Meanwhile Kyu finds that the room is pretty well equipped. You could create almost any look you wanted to with this stuff...

Spoiler: Kor
    Show
    "Oh, yes, all the time. It's her fault we've all had to wear this stupid frippery for the last two months..." She waves disdainfully at her dress, which is covered in intricate embroidery. "Though at least your arrival has put a stop to that. Millie!" She summons a servant. "Burn all my dresses, would you? Replace them with something... simple and rugged, like what humanoid adventurers wear."
    Lydia Seaspray by Oneris!

Spoiler: Acclaim
    Show
    Winner of Spellbrew Contest I & Subclass Contest II
    Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    That is the perfect ending. Thread done, Ninja_Prawn won.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    We love our ninja prawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    NinjaPrawn, you are my favourite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    Ninja you're like the forum's fairy godmother.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkMinty View Post
    This is why you're the best, Ninja Prawn.

A Faerie Affair

Homebrew: Sig

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna takes a moment to consider the bath, but ultimately decides she's much too tired and weary to care about such things and decides to soak for a while, trying to wash the dirt from her body before she takes an early rest. A nagging thought goes through her mind, but ultimately she lets it slip away in her drowsiness as she falls asleep.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Okay, so the nobles were kind of weird.

"I guess that's neat". So was their arrival an excuse for getting to have a change of wardrobe?

"Well, it's getting late so I think I'd like to find my room and get some sleep", Kor says to Applehoney. It seemed they would have long days ahead of them.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Today is the 2nd of Mirtul, 1492. It is morning.
    You all gain the benefits of a long rest and those of you who did not have inspiration gain it!

You all wake up to your first morning in the Palace of Jewels. Golden bright sunlight lances down through the trees and everything is perfectly still, as if the faeries' enclave is a little pocket of timelessness that can never be touched by what goes on outside. Each of you receives a fine breakfast and a set of options to consider.

Spoiler: General Notice
    Show
    As I mentioned in the OOC, your days in the enclave will be broken down into four sessions (morning, lunch, afternoon, evening/dinner). You may take up to two short rests between whichever sessions you wish. The options below are generally available for anyone.

Shopping. There is a thriving market where a wide variety of things can be found. Soren's faeries do not trade in cash; you must secure credit from the Royal Order of Coin-Counters first (this will be tracked on the accounting tool). Spellcasting services (such as Sending) are also available.

Visit someone. You can arrange to visit pretty much anyone, either at their home, workplace or for a meal, provided they are available. This includes other party members.

Attend Court. The King holds Court in the afternoons. This is effectively a public forum where most political business is conducted.

Visit the Library. If there's something you want to research, you can spend a session here.

Enter the Vault. King Soren's treasures are stored here. It is open to the public for tours, and if you're in his good books, he may even loan you things from it.

Schmooze with Nobles / Wrestle with Bureaucrats / Conspire with Insiders. You can spend a session gaining influence with one of the main Court factions. Random things might happen.

Venture out of the Enclave. This may take multiple sessions or even days, depending on how far you want to go.

Pick Fights with Spies. They're everywhere.

Sell Secrets to Spies. If you have any.

Wildcard! Anything else you can come up with.

Spoiler: Astra and Kyu, in His Majesty's Chamber of Commerce
    Show
    The two of you have already received a stack of invitations to join various guilds, councils and committees; it will probably take you a couple of hours just to go through all the paperwork. A quick scan of a few of them indicates that joining a guild will give you the right to practice its trade (which will earn you credit) and vote on guild business.

Being members of the Special Department for Miscellaneous Business gives each of you 50gp of credit to start off with.

Jasper has invited both of you to meet with him regarding some Miscellaneous Business he'd like you to do. It doesn't appear to be urgent.

Spoiler: Kor and Ori, at the Applehoney mansion
    Show
    Kor is awoken early by a small flock of brightly-coloured birds that have gathered around him. Wait, what's this? One of them appears to have a message tied to its leg... unraveling the tiny strip of paper, you discover... oh my. This is a love letter, from... Lord Mistychime to Lady Applehoney!

Orianna has a letter on her nightstand. It comes from Daved Candycake, one of the warlocks bound to Hefeydd, asking if you would like to have lunch with him.

Lady Applehoney is looking very different today. With messy, tangled hair and dressed in drab travelling clothes, you almost wouldn't recognise her. Once you've had breakfast, she has a favour to ask of you: "you see darlings, I've been trying to re-equip my armsmen so that we're ready to give Reena's lads a kicking. The problem is, those pencil-necks at the Chamber of Commerce won't deliver the weapons I've requisitioned! I filled in all their accursed forms and everything! Perhaps you could could speak to those pixie-friends of yours and see if you can't... hurry things along?"

Spoiler: Opal, in the Royal Palace
    Show
    You wake to find a single folded note on your nightstand: an urgent summons from Cloverfield including directions to 'Secret Room 5M'. It contains a letter of credit, indicating you have 100gp worth of credit to your name.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

8. - Top - End - #158

OldWizardGuy

Opal gets up and quickly makes herself presentable. She opts to leave her chain mail in the room and takes most of her things out her bag, leaving in the chalk, flute, group treasure, and her stones. To that, she adds her hammer and the letter of credit. She also straps her shield to her back. She leaves with the summons in her hands so she has the directions handy.

Opal feels naked without her armor and gear but she thinks it might be better to not play the part of the warrior all the time. She can appear in court in full armor if the King and Cloverfield think it's appropriate.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Astra is quite overwhelmed by all the papers. She skims them all during breakfast and winds up deciding to join the healer's, alchemist's, and wizard's guilds just because she actually knows something about them. She also dares to join the misc thing... Out of curiosity but also because Jasper wanted to talk about it or something. She signs those papers and sends them back to be reviewed.

That alone took some hours. The other invitations are set aside but not discarded. Then Astra leaves to try and meet Jasper at the appointed time and place.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2016-12-18 at 10:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

BardGuy

Kyu's enthusiasm for the papers and council maters is close to zero. She takes her time to find the paperwork to join the Glassblower's Guild, signs it and is done with it. She then takes her time to arrange herself fairly well, putting on light make-up and choosing her least travel worn clothing. Kyu proudly wears her belt of warmth anyways, after all it's so warm! Then she leaves to attend court.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Opal
    Show
    The Secret Room 5M (which is next door to Secret Rooms 5L and 5N, according to the signs) is a dark, cramped little meeting room, furnished only with a small table and a few faerie-sized chairs. You'll have to sit on the floor while you talk with the three faeries you share the room with, unless you'd rather stand.

Your co-conspirators are Goldfeather, Cloverfield, and one you haven't seen before. A woman with a bright orange mohawk and a distinctly militaristic style of dress, she greets you with a raspy voice: "Miss Stone, good morning. You look well. The name's Bronzeshield. Grand Marshall Clara Bronzeshield."

"She commands the King's armies," Cloverfield fills in, "and his real name is Lord High Wizard Smokesong." She must mean 'Goldfeather'.

"Let me explain something," he says. "We want the same thing you do. The drow invasion is the most serious threat to the Court since... well since the last drow invasion. We want to - need to - march against them with all our strength."

Bronzeshield cuts in: "but I can't do that as long as Reena's forces threaten our southern border."

"And besides, the King won't give the order to march unless he's convinced they're a real threat. I'm his closest adviser, but he won't listen to me; all the squabbling with the Chamber of Commerce and the noble houses has left it so no one trusts anyone. That's why we need you. Are you in?"

Spoiler: Astra & Kyu, OOC
    Show
    There's less to say about your morning, so I'm going to hold you where you are a little bit while the others catch up. Looks like you've both got plans for 'lunch', so I don't need anything else from you right now.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna quickly pens an affirmative response and sends it as soon as she can find a courier, then she goes to find Kor. She doesn't have much success before breakfast time, though, and opts to instead simply attend and discuss with him some plans afterwards.

As Lady Applehoney gives her request, Orianna listens carefully for a moment as she samples her food, then asks, "Your armsman? What possible reason could they have for denying you such supplies, especially given the dangers Reena might pose?"

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor read the letter quickly. He was rather unsure what to do with it. He wasn't really that interested in the contents, but it might be scandalous, depending on who this Mistychime fellow was. Applehoney, despite the sweet name, seemed rather eager to go to war. Maybe they'd have to manipulate her or something later. But maybe he was assuming too much. He didn't know Applehoney yet after all...

To get out of the dilemma, Kor just eats the letter. This court thing sure was going to be exhausting.

--

Yeah, Applehoney really did look like she was ready to go fighting. "Soo... You're really seem ready to fight. What did Reena do?"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Kor & Ori... Kori?
    Show
    The love letter tastes of perfume. It's gross.
    "What didn't she do?" Applehoney replies. "We've been at war, off and on, for as long as anyone can remember. Like last year, at the Feast of the Moon, when she replaced the King's clothes with..." she trails off for a moment... "well it was scandalous anyway. Then back in 1484, when she lured a load of humans to our copper mines. Now that was a debacle. And I'm sure her agents have infiltrated the Chamber of Commerce - that must be why they won't deliver my weapons..."

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor eats and drinks lots of sweet stuff to get the perfume taste out of his mouth. Why would you put perfume on a letter. Ugh.

Kor listens Applehoney rant about Reena. Didn't really sound like war to him, more like pranks. "Spies? I guess that's possible..."

Kor finishes his breakfast. "Well, I'm off to see the court". Kor wants to see if he might get to see the king's treasury. Must be lots of shinies there.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Swapped new prepared spells for Kor. Doesn't seem like we'll be doing that much fighting.

16. - Top - End - #166

OldWizardGuy

Opal sits with her legs criss cross, knees near her chest, to leave plenty of room. She smiles during the introductions then listens.

"My name is Opal Orlaith. I'm in as long as the plan isn't to attack and destroy Queen Reena's forces. That would mean many dead on both sides and benefit only the drow. Do you have a plan to get her to also refocus her forces on the drow? Then the King might listen to reason. I'm a neophyte of courtly intrigue."
    Opal snorts slightly as she breathes out. "I mean, obviously. But I will play whatever role on the royal stage that you direct me to."

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

At Applehoney's comments, Orianna gives her head a shake. "Quite awful. I'll see what I can do your for armsmen." When she can look away, though, she does give a small smirk at the whole situation.

Orianna stops Kor as they leave Reena's presence. "Actually, I'd received notice from a friend in the court who wanted to meet. One of my patron's close confidants. Would you perhaps be interested in joining me, Kor?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Kor did want to see shinies, but then again it most likely made more sense to travel together. This was an odd place, and probably dangerous in its own right. And there was time to see the treasury later.

"Oh, sure"

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "Excellent," replies Cloverfield. "There are several things that you and your friends can help with. Our first problem is the nobility..."

The wizard picks up the thread: "they feel Reena's insults most keenly, and have been the loudest agitators for war. You need to find a way to sate them. Perhaps gain them some measure of revenge, or just distract them long enough that their influence with the King diminishes."

"The second thing will be the merchants. We've managed to keep them divided against each other up to this point, but that upstart Jasper Sandyshore is on the brink of unifying both sides of the Chamber of Commerce."

"On its own, that isn't such a bad thing. We'll need them to be productive for when we take the fight to the drow. The problem is that master Sandyshore wants all the power for himself. I believe he plans to usurp the King and install a puppet of his own! He must be taken down, by any means necessary."

The Grand Marshall provides the third issue. "Finally, we really do need to do something about Reena. I agree with you that we should seek a diplomatic solution. It will not be easy, however. There is a long history of animosity between the two Courts, with many wrongs to be righted from both sides." She looks you square in the eye. "We would like you, Opal, to get close enough to the King to find out what he would need to forgive her - and to get close enough to her to do likewise. Bring them to the negotiating table, and do whatever needs to be done behind the scenes to make a deal possible."

"I can teleport you into Reena's Court, don't worry about that," Smokesong confirms. "The Queen's High Wizard is for us, too, so you should be able to get some help from her while you're there."
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-01-02 at 04:38 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

20. - Top - End - #170

OldWizardGuy

Opal sits and tries to absorb everything. The situation is more complex than she is used to.

"Um, I'm more than willing to try but this might be beyond me. Can we organize some kind of competition? It should be something that the King is way better at than Jasper, so Jasper's status drops a bit as part of it. Ideally, it would drain everyone's anger somewhat. If we were able to include Reena's court, then maybe it would allow everyone to get a chance to get back at those they feel slighted by while also bringing the courts together."

Opal pauses to think, fidgeting with the rocks in her pocket. She shouldn't be making all these decisions on her own but she was isolated at the moment. She would try to meet with the others later today if she could. For now, she'd try to get things moving.

Opal shrugs and spreads her arms, being honest rather than trying to invoke confidence.

"Hey, how about we get the King to challenge Queen Reena to a competition? I'm thinking of a two part competition. The first part is a monster hunt. Then everyone writes a short poem about their trophy. That way, the powerful and the witty both have a chance. A great quatrain about stepping on a spider might be as good as a simple statement about killing a drow priestess. We can insinuate that the poems are a chance to hide insults against rivals to get more people involved - you could do things like compare the hideous trophy to an outfit many will recognize. Scoring is both individual and group. Maybe the best 3 or so individuals get a prize. Then the individual scores are totaled and the court with the most points would win - a - whatever both royals would covet. This would give everyone an indirect war with minimum direct combat. We could also set the boundaries for the competition to where there is Drow activity to both start the fight early and encourage nobles to travel about in the forest and see for themselves the destruction going on. I have no idea who the judge or judges would be as they have to be neutral to the two courts. I know it's crazy and weird. Do you think the courts would go for it? If so, I can pitch it to the King as a way to get back at the queen, then go meet the queen to issue the challenge and hopefully get her to agree."
    Last edited by Stan; 2017-01-01 at 10:13 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    They consider your proposal and respond positively. "That could definitely work," says Cloverfield, while Smokesong/Goldfeather grumbles that "something like that would take a while to put together..."

"We can do it, though. Hmm... if we combined it with some kind of... military tattoo? Yes, that would give us an excuse to mobilise the army to help with preparations. We'll sort out the details, Miss Orlaith. In the meantime, it would help if you could spend some time getting on-side with the King. Being as you're a newcomer to the Court, you must have plenty of fresh stories to tell him... and he'll need to respond to those gifts you all brought him as well."

If there's one thing that all of you have taken away from your first morning with the faeries, it's that everyone here is very intense! It looks like this mission is going to be very tiring... but maybe lunchtime will offer opportunities to take some breaths?

Spoiler: Astra
    Show
    "So, yes, miscellaneous business..." Jasper begins. "You may have noted the ridiculous amount of embroidery everyone was wearing yesterday... and how no one is wearing it today. Without going into all the details, that was actually a 'prank' Reena's court played on us; she manipulated the fashions so that all of our industrial manpower would be tied down with pointless needlework so that she could get ahead of us in the arms race. Your arrival, however, has suddenly made the 'adventurer' look trendy, which has freed up a significant amount of labour-power... which is ours to redistribute.

I'd like to reopen the copper mines and start making weapons again, only... the key to the tunnels seems to have gone missing. It's a gaudy, human-sized, brass affair, set with polished malachite in a floral pattern; you can't miss it. Could you... help me look for it, by any chance?"

Spoiler: Kyu
    Show
    You head off to the Royal Palace at lunchtime. It's busy, even though the King isn't in yet.

(1d6)[4]

Hold on, what was that? Please make a Wisdom (Perception) check.

Spoiler: Kori
    Show
    The two of you meet with Daved and head out to a taproom on the fringes of the Enclave. It is quieter and less ostentatious than the parts of the faerie court you have seen up to now, though still quite full and well-appointed. The warlock is an older faerie with bushy eyebrows and a huge feathered hat. His voice is calm as he introduces himself.

"Ah, you must be Orianna. And one of your travelling companions? I am Daved Candycake; please to meet you. Our... mutual friend... mentioned that you would be coming here, so I was understandably curious. What brings you all the way out here?"
    Last edited by Ninja_Prawn; 2017-01-02 at 05:44 PM.

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Astra nods along, listening to Jasper's explanation. Hm. So maybe they wouldn't look so out of place now! Cancel shopping for fancier clothes. Or shoes, even (though the 'traveling' outfit did come with some already).

"Huh. That's kind of... weird. How do you know this whole fashion thing was Reena's doing?" she asked with a shrug. "I mean, we just came here and boom! Now we've set some other kind of trend apparently..."

Astra giggled at that a bit, and then they moved on to the next business. "You mean, you want me to just search high and low for a key...?" she asked, at first giving Jasper the strangest confused look of 'what are you thinking' to sheer excitement. "Oh! Wait! I just- my spell book!" she stuttered all over the place, dropping her bag to the floor to fish her spell book out of it. "I've recently learned how to cast a magic spell which might help you!"

She was, of course, referring to the Locate Object spell. "But theoretically, the magic only has limited range. So it would be best to begin casting the spell around areas you believe it may be in. Shall we go there first? Or is there other business to attend to?"

Spoiler: edit
    Show
    If you want to make things faster, you may have Astra cast Locate Object on your next update.. but it doesn't seem things need to be expedited anyway.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2017-01-03 at 09:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

BardGuy

Kyu quickly turns around and squints her eyes to try and find whatever she thought she saw.

Perception: (1d20+1)[18]

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

"Hi! I'm Korialstrasz. You can call me Kor." Man, that faerie's name didn't fit his face, at least anymore. Huge eyebrows... Kor tears his gaze off Daved's forehead. "Well, we are here on Lydia's behalf... Trying to sort this mess out, I suppose. Oh hey, what do you know of a lord called Mistychime?".

25. - Top - End - #175

OldWizardGuy

Opal listens and nods to Cloverfield. "Ok, then. Do you know when, where, and how I should approach the King? Should be privately or at court? Ooh, what should I wear? Not that I have many options, mind you. And what should I say? I was sweating stones the last time I addressed the King."

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Orianna nods to Kor's description, taking a seat once introductions have been finished. "Yes, you are correct. My companion Kor has given you most of it. We've seen a lot of dangers in our journey here, which has given us great concern. Please, if you would not mind telling us, what's happening in the court?"

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    "That's understandable," says Cloverfield, "he does have a powerful presence. He's really quite personable in private though, so that would probably be the best way to go. I can get you in to see him pretty much any time you want - except afternoons of course - just look for me around the Palace."

Spoiler: Kori
    Show
    Daved scratches his chin. "Well, there's always a lot going on. Your arrival has been on everyone's lips this morning, but that will die down soon enough." It isn't clear whether he means this to sound reassuring or unfortunate. His whole demeanour is so... unexpressive. "The main thing that keeps people occupied is the war. The generals have had me drilling the troops night and day in how to fight humanoids, so I figure maybe Reena has brought in some mercenaries...

As to Lord Mistychime, yes, I know of him. On his... third wife now, I think? Afraid I don't know much more; I don't really socialise with his sort."

Spoiler: Kyu
    Show
    Yes, there is something. It's the wall, over there... you eye seems to skip over it, like it doesn't quite fit in right. On closer investigation, you find a secret passage!

Spoiler: Astra
    Show
    "Oh, we know it to be her doing," he explains, "because she sent a messenger a few months ago, with an honour guard all in plain black uniforms. So of course, all the fashionistas immediately determined that our Court just had to dress in the opposite fashion. It was a cunning gambit, really, but don't worry; we'll get her back."

He then leads you out of the door, talking as he goes. "There certainly is other business to attend to, but it can wait if you can find the key now. Ah, but it is good to have a mage in the Special Department again... those racketeers that run the Spellcasting Services are never easy to deal with. Now then, I expect the key will be in this building somewhere. Is that good enough, or do we need to narrow it down further?"

Show
    We love our ninja prawn.

A Faerie Affair

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

Astra is rather skeptical of how Reena's all-black uniforms caused... whatever crazy fashion trends she witnessed recently. But then again, she had no idea how these Faerie politics worked. Ah how she pined for her far less complex social life back home.

"Well, I think just searching about this building shouldn't be too much trouble. The spell can last quite a while while I search. So let's see..."

Astra begins to cast the Locate Object spell and says, "A human-sized, brass key, inlaid with malachite..." and continues concentrating on that thought.

If she can sense a direction, she follows it around walls and through doors and over other obstacles as best she can. If she senses nothing, she continues further into the building to see if she will begin to sense that kind of key.

29. - Top - End - #179

BardGuy

Kyu's eyes twinkle as she finds the secret passage. "This looks like adventure!" She says to herself. Kyu will check that she is alone or at least that no one is paying attention to her and when she can pass unnoticed Kyu will sneak into the secret passage. She will cast dancing lights if it's too dark inside.

30. - Top - End - #180

OldWizardGuy

Opal stops to consider the options. It's really not her way to charge forward, outside of battle. And she's the least convincing speaker in the group. She really should confer with everyone first. But she didn't know exactly where anyone was. Twisting indoor passages always confused her a bit so she doubted she could find them before the afternoon, so a day would probably be wasted. Each day would probably mean another place suffering Pinkleaf's fate. She hopes her friends will understand. She faces Cloverfield directly.

"Actually, perhaps it would be best to try now, while it's still fairly early. If that's ok with you. Lord High Wizard, Grand Marshall, this has been very helpful. I look forward to being of service to you in the future."