New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Preparing for the Hunt; A Blood Hunter Handbook

Half-Orc ; A few words; Savage Attacks. Relentless Endurance. Those alone are incredibly powerful abilities, but they do wonders for a blood hunter. Why? Because Savage Attacks applies to your rite die as well. And while this works better for strength builds, the race features are worth a glance alone.
    Why would Savage Criticals apply to Crimson Rite damage die? Savage Critical specifies that it's weapon damage.

Would you add another die to a Paladin smite?

Anyway, crimson rite is pretty much the best DPS ability in the game, I don't think you need to add another die to Crimson Rite (adding one to the weapon damage is fine though)

I mean, I play a half orc blood hunter, ghost slayer (or whatever that one is called) with crossbow expert... I feel bad for my teammates sometimes, dealing like 40 damage a turn. It's really not fair & I don't need an extra crimson rite die when I crit.
    I'm working for the Empire. But don't worry… I'm not going to garrote you!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Douche View Post
    Why would Savage Criticals apply to Crimson Rite damage die? Savage Critical specifies that it's weapon damage.

Would you add another die to a Paladin smite?

Anyway, crimson rite is pretty much the best DPS ability in the game, I don't think you need to add another die to Crimson Rite (adding one to the weapon damage is fine though)

I mean, I play a half orc blood hunter, ghost slayer (or whatever that one is called) with crossbow expert... I feel bad for my teammates sometimes, dealing like 40 damage a turn. It's really not fair & I don't need an extra crimson rite die when I crit.
    I would say yeah, as it's a boost to the weapons attack; if I have a barbarian or a half orc a frost band weapon, it would get extra dice for the ice damage as well. If visual ques can be reviewed, the paladin in the players handbook is a half-Orc as well

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nishant View Post
    I would say yeah, as it's a boost to the weapons attack; if I have a barbarian or a half orc a frost band weapon, it would get extra dice for the ice damage as well. If visual ques can be reviewed, the paladin in the players handbook is a half-Orc as well
    I believe you're misunderstanding the ability.
    "When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon's damage dice again and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit."
    First, it explicitly states "one of the weapon's damage dice, not any other source. Second, it only allows you to add a single additional die no matter how many dice you're rolling for the critical hit. Thus, with this feature, on a crit with a greataxe they'll be doing an extra 1d12 damage, but on a crit with a greatsword they'll only be doing an extra 1d6 damage.

So no, it does not allow you to add more Crimson Rite damage beyond the standard additional for the critical hit.

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #34

So I just reached 7th level with my TWF Ghost Slayer in Curse of Strahd. He's doing rather well, but I think I'm at the point of diminishing returns. As I understand it, this campaign ends around level 10. The current Blood Hunter (v1.8) doesn't get an upgrade to its Rite damage until level 11, and I'm looking at one more Malediction at level 10. That's pretty much it, aside from an 8th level ASI/Feat pick. (Which could be the most important thing of all.)

So do I stick with the Blood Hunter, or go with three levels of Ranger (revised) and take the Underdark Scout archetype?

Level 1: Natural Explorer = Advantage on Initiative; Favored Enemy = +2 Damage v. Undead (stacks with WIS bonus from Rite of the Dawn)
    Level 2: Spellcasting = Hunter's Mark; Fighting Style = Defense, +1AC
    Level 3: Underdark Scout ZOMG! First round advantage v. foes who haven't yet acted, extra 1st round attack, +10' move in first round, 90 darkvision.

Or should I take the Feat (probably Toughness cuz I need 100+ HP to fight Strahd!) at 8th level, then just MC into Ranger for 2 levels before it's all over? Maybe 2 levels is enough, with Favored Enemy, Rite of the Dawn and Hunter's Mark I'll have 3 attacks per round doing 3d6+9 v. Undead.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Toughness is a nice counter to the Crimson Rite damage. I'd probably take that at 8, then grab the two levels of revised Ranger.

Plus, those HPs will come in handy over the next few levels, while the Archtype would only come into play at the very end of your campaign, it sounds like.

Granted, the same could be said about getting the Ranger levels sooner, but each level is only adding to your damage output, which as a BH/Ghostslayer shouldn't be a problem, whereas the HP loss is.

6. - Top - End - #36

I'd like to point out that dueling isn't as bad as mentioned in the guide. A melee Dex-based Profane Soul who focuses on Frenzy or Channel will get no benefits from TWF, as Frenzy/Channel and TWF are mutually exclusive, and will get no benefits from GWF, as there aren't any Dex-based versatile/2H weapons. If they choose to focus on those Frenzy/Channel, Dueling is the only one of the three they'll get benefits from, and the benefits of it really aren't that bad.

Also, great combination: Diabolic Channel and Vampiric Touch.

Edit: Also, Blood Curse of the Fallen Puppet can be amazing when used on a Paladin. As they are still conscious the, they can also Smite with their attack.
    Last edited by Sicarius Victis; 2017-01-19 at 11:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Cool! I was looking for some time for something like that! :D

8. - Top - End - #38
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

A bit of necromantic magic on this thread.

With the UA release of the Druid's Circle of Spores, a 2 level dip can greatly increase the damage output of the Profane Soul. The spore damage scales with character level at 6, 10, & 14. When the Wildshape feature is used to activate the spores, the static spore damage doubles and each melee attack adds 1d6 poison. Since concentration is not used for that feature, a Profane Soul can cast Hex on top of it. If Shillelagh is one of those Druid cantrips, Pole Arm Master on a double-rited quarterstaff makes damage output obscene.

Assume a level 10 character with 18 WIS. Profane Soul 8 / Spore Druid 2; once you have the Blood Rites, Shillelagh, Symbiotic Entity, and Hex active, the damage per round looks like this (assuming all attacks hit):

2d8 + 1d4 + 12 bludgeoning (WIS PaM) + 3d6 elemental (Blood Rites) + 3d6 necrotic (Hex) + 3d6 poison (Symbiotic Entity) + 18 poison (Halo of Spores)

Tack on anther 6 if you chose Dueling Fighting Style
    Last edited by Ventruenox; 2018-01-09 at 06:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

The recent buff to the 10th level Dark Velocity feature makes playing (V)Human hurt slightly less if your DM actually uses lighting. Still comes online a little late, giving you a whopping 30ft. Darkvision on top of the speed.
    Last edited by Lodestar; 2018-01-09 at 08:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Don't forget that Matt Mercer updated the base Blood Hunter in December. The only change(that I can tell) is that he added the 2 new warlock patrons from Xanathar's to the Profane Soul.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I can't believe I missed this thread. I'm glad for once it got necroed.

Just a point about the Barbarian multiclass, it's got a pretty serious drawback if you go Order of the Lycan.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by Rogerdodger557 View Post
    Don't forget that Matt Mercer updated the base Blood Hunter in December. The only change(that I can tell) is that he added the 2 new warlock patrons from Xanathar's to the Profane Soul.
    They also gained shield Proficiency.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Dudewithknives View Post
    They also gained shield Proficiency.
    Upon further review, several blood maledicts were changed, the ability gained on leveling up was changed a bit, and the high level(11 & 18) Abilities were changed for the Lycan.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Halfling in the Playground

So i'm playing a human (v) polearm master under the order of the profane soul class with The Undying.
    Any suggestions on Warlock spells? (This includes Xanathar)
    you only have access to lvl 2 spells until lvl 11.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Anyone have a good way of preventing stealth lost from the aether mutantgen?

16. - Top - End - #46
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

G'day guys. I'm relatively new to D&D, but I think I have a decent enough understanding of the basics. Can someone help me understand why a Dex build is a better option than Str for the Order of the Lycan?

17. - Top - End - #47

I would recommend dex for the order of the Lycan. The Lycan gains +1 AC when wearing heavy Armour which incentives you to go for dexterity. Also as the claws damage is fixed having a high strength will not help you as strength is primarily used for heavy weapons and it is better to use the claws as you can make extra attacks with the claws that benefit from crimson rite. Also dex is better for AC and stealth so I would recommend focusing on dex as dex is the more useful stat and the subclass counters most of the weaknesses of strength with advantage for strength checks and saves countering having a low strength score.

18. - Top - End - #48

Crossbow expert should be sky blue for blood huters for one reason. Crossbow expert allows you to make an extra attack as a bonus action with a hand crossbow if you attack with a one handed weapon. The hand crossbow counts as a one handed weapon meaning not only does it let you use a shield but it means you only need to apply the crimson rite to one crossbow to get its benefit for your extra attack rendering it superior to duel wielding as crossbow expert gets the same amount of attacks but only needs to take the crimson rite damage once.
    Last edited by Brutalitops; 2018-05-27 at 08:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wardarth View Post
    G'day guys. I'm relatively new to D&D, but I think I have a decent enough understanding of the basics. Can someone help me understand why a Dex build is a better option than Str for the Order of the Lycan?
    It comes back to the fact that blood hunters don't get heavy armor.

Conventionally, strength builds and Dex builds are about equal. Dex builds are more flexible, strength builds hit harder and have better AC.

But since hunters don't get heavy armor, if they want to have good AC and be strength based they need good strength and good Dex. So it's inefficient.

But if you start with a +2 to strength you can pick up heavy armor at level 4, and not be behind on ASI. So no big.
    Last edited by strangebloke; 2018-05-27 at 03:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brutalitops View Post
    Crossbow expert should be sky blue for blood huters for one reason. Crossbow expert allows you to make an extra attack as a bonus action with a hand crossbow if you attack with a one handed weapon. The hand crossbow counts as a one handed weapon meaning not only does it let you use a shield but it means you only need to apply the crimson rite to one crossbow to get its benefit for your extra attack rendering it superior to duel wielding as crossbow expert gets the same amount of attacks but only needs to take the crimson rite damage once.
    I'm afraid that despite Crossbow Expert sparing you from the Loading property, it does not spare you from the Ammunition property, which if not explicitly, logically requires a free hand. A crossbow expert still cannot use a shield.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/25...sing-a-shield/

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
    It comes back to the fact that blood hunters don't get heavy armor.

Conventionally, strength builds and Dex builds are about equal. Dex builds are more flexible, strength builds hit harder and have better AC.

But since hunters don't get heavy armor, if they want to have good AC and be strength based they need good strength and good Dex. So it's inefficient.

But if you start with a +2 to strength you can pick up heavy armor at level 4, and not be behind on ASI. So no big.
    After rolling, The character stats I have are: STR 17, DEX 11, CON 11, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 6

Half orc so it'll bring my totals up to STR 19, DEX 11, CON 12, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 6

Unfortunately, this character is already active in a campaign, and it was before I found this page (Least I chose the race well), however with what you guys have said, and going back and reading through it again, I understand now how Dex overall a better option in future given the AC bonus without heavy armor (i'm not planning on going heavy anyway as medium better fits the rp flavour to me) and that the predatory strike can be Str or Dex based. I may talk to the DM about swapping my str and dex, since we're only just started the campaign. Thanks for the help mate.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I like it. Bookmarking this for my eventual BH.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Thanks for putting this together!

With all the new updates to the class, namely gaining shield proficiency, will you be updating the post?

24. - Top - End - #54
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Strongstaff View Post
    Thanks for putting this together!

With all the new updates to the class, namely gaining shield proficiency, will you be updating the post?
    Considering how the Blood Hunter Class has gotten revised once more(likely due to that fact that one of that one is being played in Critical Role), as well as the Order of the Lycan, I would hope so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post

"Fighting a Death Gish? If you have a death wish."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Any chance there will be an update to this page? This is extremely helpful but unfortunately with it being homebrew it's changed a lot and the page could do with an update or a new guide could be made.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Stranger in the Playground Retired Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Nishant hasn't posted for 11 months now. It is likely time for a new guide to be built.

27. - Top - End - #57

NecromancerGuy

re: monk dip for lycans, may also be worthwhile just for buffing up your normal unarmed attacks a bit, so rites applied to your unarmed attacks to take advantage of hybrid form won't go to waste when your hybrid form is unavailable or just inadvisable.