New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Bayonetta now on Steam for $20

http://store.steampowered.com/app/460790/
    http://www.pcgamer.com/bayonetta-is-...ing-it-happen/

Apparently it's a remaster, capable of 4K resolution and HD textures. And while you can certainly use a controller, it's also been optimized for mouse and keyboard - which actually aren't half bad! (Provided your mouse has more than 3 buttons on it of course - in true Bayonetta fashion, you'll need to punch, kick, jump, dodge and shoot at a moment's notice.)

My sincere hope is that if this is successful, the WiiU will lose its death grip on the sequel. That would be good news for everyone, console gamers and PC alike. So what are you waiting for, go out and buy it
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bayonetta now on Steam for $20

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Apparently it's a remaster, capable of 4K resolution and HD textures. And while you can certainly use a controller, it's also been optimized for mouse and keyboard - which actually aren't half bad! (Provided your mouse has more than 3 buttons on it of course - in true Bayonetta fashion, you'll need to punch, kick, jump, dodge and shoot at a moment's notice.)
    Really? Sheesh, that's surprising. I can't imagine trying to play a game like Bayonetta on a mouse and keyboard. Though, then again, I can't imagine playing anything that isn't either turn-based or an RTS on a mouse and keyboard, so that's partly me, I'm sure. Still, lack of an analog stick seems like it would be a big issue.

Anyway, not getting it myself - I already have it on both X360 and Wii U, and I'm sure my PC couldn't run it anyway - but it's nice that it's available for more people now I suppose. Hopefully it does well and helps fund a Bayonetta 3. Or Metal Gear Rising 2, or another stellar Platinum action game altogether - I'm not actually picky when it comes to them.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

3. - Top - End - #3

Oh, I played the hell out of it back on my 360 so it's nothing new for me. But, not having bothered with a WiiU myself, I thought I was doomed to miss out on the sequel, and this is definitely a promising step.

As for the controls - Yeah, I was surprised too, I never thought M+K could work for a game like this, but they found a way. Though for the record, you can still use a gamepad if that's your bag - but they've done a really, really good job of making the PC controls work. You can even (for example) use the mouse wheel to scroll through the combo list while you're practicing and things like that. And of course, mouse controls make the "Angel Attack" minigame a breeze - I got all headshots easily. I only needed to do a couple of remaps - by default, Mouse3 is her gun, but I dodge pretty much as often as I punch or kick, so that was getting pride of place with the others. They even let you do things like a circular mouse motion for the Bullet Climax move.

Now that you mention it - Metal Gear Rising is on Steam too, so I'll go ahead and add that to my wishlist. As for other Platinum Games, I'd love it if Vanquish came to PC, and/or got a sequel.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

So that's what that link on the 8-Bit Bayonetta page meant...

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Though, then again, I can't imagine playing anything that isn't either turn-based or an RTS on a mouse and keyboard, so that's partly me, I'm sure.
    Definitely you.

Shooter are keyboard things, and I prefer it for side-scrollers with 8-directional movement (the exception is Metroid controls, diagonal aiming). The only reason I busted out a controller for Super Meat Boy is because the dev belligerently hates keyboard and refused to let you change controls or default it to an intuitive setup in the first place (or even tell you what the setup is, have fun figuring out what those gamepad control prompts mean!).

Totalbiscuit also likes to test keyboard controls, and his word on Metal Gear Rising was "controller preferred, but keyboard works." I still used a controller for it, and I'll probably use it for this, because I have one.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2017-04-11 at 09:51 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I played the hell out of it back on my 360 so it's nothing new for me. But, not having bothered with a WiiU myself, I thought I was doomed to miss out on the sequel, and this is definitely a promising step.
    I still wouldn't get your hopes up for that to come a non-Nintendo system, since Nintendo funded the development. I could maybe see it getting a Switch port, but anything else seems very farfetched.

I only needed to do a couple of remaps - by default, Mouse3 is her gun, but I dodge pretty much as often as I punch or kick, so that was getting pride of place with the others.
    Yeah, I can't imagine anyone used guns more than they dodged in Bayonetta - well, anyone who was good enough to get past the first level, anyway. I found I barely ever used the guns myself. Mostly they seem to exist just to keep the combo counter going and deal with the handful of occasions that those small flying angel heads pop up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Definitely you.

Shooter are keyboard things,
    Oh! Yeah, I am aware that a lot of people prefer them for that, and they do make more sense to me for that than for other genres. Aside from Mass Effect (which I play on consoles, like basically everything that isn't Hearthstone) I basically don't play shooters at all, though, so they slipped my mind there.
    Last edited by Zevox; 2017-04-11 at 10:20 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

6. - Top - End - #6

I still wouldn't get your hopes up for that to come a non-Nintendo system, since Nintendo funded the development. I could maybe see it getting a Switch port, but anything else seems very farfetched.
    Eh, Resident Evil 4 was originally intended to be a Nintendo exclusive too and look how that turned out. I don't see it being as farfetched as you seem to. Not to mention the WiiU's audience was never that great.

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone used guns more than they dodged in Bayonetta - well, anyone who was good enough to get past the first level, anyway. I found I barely ever used the guns myself. Mostly they seem to exist just to keep the combo counter going and deal with the handful of occasions that those small flying angel heads pop up.
    They're also good for chip damage on certain boss and miniboss fights when they're too far away for melee. (That flying snake-thing comes to mind.) The bazookas are pretty funny too.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Eh, Resident Evil 4 was originally intended to be a Nintendo exclusive too and look how that turned out.
    The difference being, that was a game developed by Capcom independently of Nintendo, and while they initially claimed it would be a Gamecube exclusive, they announced the PS2 version before the Gamecube one even shipped. Bayonetta 2 was actively funded by Nintendo themselves, and if you think Nintendo are the sort to allow anything they own to go to somebody else's console, you don't know them very well. (Especially after they saw what a hash Philips made of their right to use Link on the CD-i).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Saw this today along with a review of the port which said pretty favorable things so I'm thinking of nabbing it. I mean I enjoyed Dark souls 1 and that was a pretty shabby port, but I was just happy that game made its way to PC. A good port of a game though is even better which this one seems to be. On top of that decent Mouse and Keyboard options are nice. I do have a gamepad but using gamepads too much causes the one knuckle joint I have with arthritis to flare up and make my whole knuckle swell

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    The difference being, that was a game developed by Capcom independently of Nintendo, and while they initially claimed it would be a Gamecube exclusive, they announced the PS2 version before the Gamecube one even shipped. Bayonetta 2 was actively funded by Nintendo themselves, and if you think Nintendo are the sort to allow anything they own to go to somebody else's console, you don't know them very well. (Especially after they saw what a hash Philips made of their right to use Link on the CD-i).
    They helped fund it but it's still a third-party publisher (Sega). If they didn't include some kind of expiration clause, I'd be surprised.

How about this as an example then - Microsoft helped Bioware fund the development of Mass Effect 1 as a PC and XBox exclusive. Eventually that expired and Mass Effect came to both the Playstation and WiiU. See, it's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Saw this today along with a review of the port which said pretty favorable things so I'm thinking of nabbing it. I mean I enjoyed Dark souls 1 and that was a pretty shabby port, but I was just happy that game made its way to PC. A good port of a game though is even better which this one seems to be. On top of that decent Mouse and Keyboard options are nice. I do have a gamepad but using gamepads too much causes the one knuckle joint I have with arthritis to flare up and make my whole knuckle swell
    I've been consistently getting Gold and Platinum with my mouse and keyboard setup. Dodging is just as hair-trigger as its always been.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Downloaded last night, haven't got to play yet.

Will play with a pad. My wrist doesn't super-like keyboard controls anymore, so for something that works well on a pad, I'll definitely play it with a pad. Even things that aren't super-great with a pad I'll run through it with one - Call of Duty singleplayer for instance. But a really fast FPS is still worth keyboarding it up for; DOOM, Titanfall, stuff like that.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

You can hook an XBOX or PS4 controller to your PC and use it to play the game, assuming the PC port allows you to swap the control scheme.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.