New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Mass Effect Andromeda: To Boldly Go

Quote Originally Posted by SorenKnight View Post
    It's worth noting that you can't have access to the Asari Huntress without spending hours grinding or participating in the micro transactions. That's a far cry from something that's likely to be available from level one.
    Well, there's a third option if you're on PC, but most people who care about ME3 already put in their grinding time years ago.

Personally I didn't find any scene with Kai Leng in it to be at all dramatic or satisfying.
    Killing him was pretty satisfying to me and I think several others.

It would be really cool if the Geth had their own separate project, so that everyone thinks their dead, but we discover their colony at some point in the game.
    They're too popular to be gone I think. Better still, if they left the same time we did (between ME2 and ME3) they'll be the Geth we know and love rather than the potential super-AIs they could have become through Legion's apotheosis (or, of course, dead.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Well, there's a third option if you're on PC most people who care about ME3 already put in their grinding time years ago.
    What's the third option? I play on PC and I've never heard of it.

most people who care about ME3 already put in their grinding time years ago.
    No, most people who care about ME3's multiplayer will have put in their grinding years ago. But ME3 isn't a primarily multiplayer game and a substantial number of people who love the game don't like or play the multiplayer. Myself for example, I played a lot of the ME3 multiplayer simply because I had it and not any other multiplayer shooters, but I always found it to be insufferably dull.

I am well aware, I'm simply sharing my experience. In fact I think your well in the majority here. It was a lot like the Final Fantasy XV tie in movie for me, beautifully animated badass action, but without any real emotion or investment.

3. - Top - End - #63

What's the third option? I play on PC and I've never heard of it.
    Option 3 is using a memory-editing tool like CheatEngine to gift yourself a pile of credits, then spam PSPs until you get all the classes and skins (and hopefully guns) you want. They don't monitor ME3 anymore so pretty much everyone is doing it, or at least they were back when I switched from console to PC a year ago.

No, most people who care about ME3's multiplayer will have put in their grinding years ago. But ME3 isn't a primarily multiplayer game and a substantial number of people who love the game don't like or play the multiplayer. Myself for example, I played a lot of the ME3 multiplayer simply because I had it and not any other multiplayer shooters, but I always found it to be insufferably dull.
    Without meaning to offend - why on earth do you care then?

I am well aware, I'm simply sharing my experience. In fact I think your well in the majority here. It was a lot like the Final Fantasy XV tie in movie for me, beautifully animated badass action, but without any real emotion or investment.
    Never seen it so that analogy is lost on me. But fine - I acknowledge that there are some folks out there for whom even Kai Leng's death meant more Kai Leng and so they hated it. That's ultimately irrelevant to my original point, which was that the omniblade is pretty much here to stay in the franchise now, and that Absurdly Sharp Blades are far more dramatic in cutscenes. (Not to mention that ME barriers appear to work like Holtzman Shields, so having a knife that can cut through armor is going to be highly practical.)

Speaking of the omni-blade, we have leaked box-art, and it features prominently on one:

Spoiler
    Show
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #64

BlueKnightGuy

Without meaning to offend - why on earth do you care then?
    That particular statement that you quoted was more of a nitpick with your phrasing than anything else. The larger point is that an unlockable option in a side feature of a game isn't comparable to a base option in the meat of the game.

5. - Top - End - #65

That particular statement that you quoted was more of a nitpick with your phrasing than anything else. The larger point is that an unlockable option in a side feature of a game isn't comparable to a base option in the meat of the game.
    I agree it's not, but when said base option doesn't exist in the main game without modding, you kinda don't have a choice. So the MP route (and note that you can in fact play MP completely solo) is at least an option.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #66
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

You're the first other person I've encountered who does.
    I liek it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I tend to agree, but stabbing him and saying "No gunship this time, you son of a bitch!" was pretty damn satisfying. Great line delivered while shanking the most annoying character of the franchise.
    That is a baldfaced lie.

Kai Leng isn't a character. He's a plot device wrapped in Marysuium. Characters have a personality.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I liek it, too.

That is a baldfaced lie.

Kai Leng isn't a character. He's a plot device wrapped in Marysuium. Characters have a personality.
    ..which makes shanking him all the more satisfying.

Hated the character, loved watching him die.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    I liek it, too.

That is a baldfaced lie.

Kai Leng has a personality: he's evil, and more importantly, petty. He sends you an email taunting you for not stopping him, just because he feels like rubbing it in (he also ignores the fact that he was losing the fight until he called in gunship support, which makes the email that much more infuriating). But yes, he is a plot device, and it bothers me that he escapes from Shepard on two separate occasions through the magic of cutscenes—cutscenes which make Shepard look like a slow-witted noncombatant and strip away all of his or her class abilities, instead forcing the elite Alliance commando to fire occasional half-hearted pistol shots instead of tossing Kai Leng like a rag doll, making that idiotic palm-gun (seriously, ME weapons have strength proportional to length—a palm-gun is silly) of his explode, or tearing him apart with heavy weapons fire. Or even scraping him off the car onto the underside of one of the Citadel's skybridges.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    (seriously, ME weapons have strength proportional to length—a palm-gun is silly)
    If I remember right (From the Game) Kai-Leng's supposed to be Cybernetic. Given how he holds his arm when firing, it's possible his entire lower arm and palm acts like a barrel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    I'm not feeling conquery.

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    If I remember right (From the Game) Kai-Leng's supposed to be Cybernetic. Given how he holds his arm when firing, it's possible his entire lower arm and palm acts like a barrel.
    He has cutting-edge, Illusive-Man-Sugar-Daddy versions of the Phantom implants - so yes, he has a high-powered palm blaster like they do.

Quote Originally Posted by VoxRationis View Post
    Kai Leng has a personality: he's evil, and more importantly, petty. He sends you an email taunting you for not stopping him, just because he feels like rubbing it in (he also ignores the fact that he was losing the fight until he called in gunship support, which makes the email that much more infuriating). But yes, he is a plot device, and it bothers me that he escapes from Shepard on two separate occasions through the magic of cutscenes—cutscenes which make Shepard look like a slow-witted noncombatant and strip away all of his or her class abilities, instead forcing the elite Alliance commando to fire occasional half-hearted pistol shots instead of tossing Kai Leng like a rag doll, making that idiotic palm-gun (seriously, ME weapons have strength proportional to length—a palm-gun is silly) of his explode, or tearing him apart with heavy weapons fire. Or even scraping him off the car onto the underside of one of the Citadel's skybridges.
    Just because long guns are powerful, doesn't mean short ones can't be. Just look at the Carnifex and Executioner; hell, the Scorpion and Acolyte are even tinier but they straight up fire explosives.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #71
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

And, since it's somewhat apropos, my Mass Effect Savage Worlds hack

http://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/p/savag...ss-effect.html
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

I enjoyed killing him in the sense that "gosh, I finally don't have to deal with this awful excuse for a character anymore". It's not like I was relieved some great nemesis had finally fallen...I was just glad I didn't have to endure any more of the ****ty writing that surrounded him.

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    I enjoyed killing him in the sense that "gosh, I finally don't have to deal with this awful excuse for a character anymore". It's not like I was relieved some great nemesis had finally fallen...I was just glad I didn't have to endure any more of the ****ty writing that surrounded him.
    Oh I definitely agree, but what I was specifically referring to was that the omniblade was a visceral way of taking him out. It's dramatic and brutal and fun, and I'm glad it and other melee weapons are apparently sticking around in the series.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #74

BlueKnightGuy

Oh I definitely agree, but what I was specifically referring to was that the omniblade was a visceral way of taking him out. It's dramatic and brutal and fun, and I'm glad it and other melee weapons are apparently sticking around in the series.
    Well of course. Variety is the spice of life after all. Or death, as the case may be.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

With how they are going for a classless system in ME:A, I wonder how that will impact the MP side of the game?

Being able to customise a character for MP might be fun if you could do it for the different races.

16. - Top - End - #76

Chimera

I'd assume that multiplayer is going to have a class system. It's just that your Ryder has free multiclassing.

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    I'd assume that multiplayer is going to have a class system. It's just that your Ryder has free multiclassing.
    Wouldn't surprise me if companions also have restrictions on what powers they have access to.

18. - Top - End - #78

OldWizardGuy

Origin is having a Black Friday sale.

Question: does anyone who has the games in Origin know if they actually have all the DLC for mass effect series available? I'd rather have everything in one place and I don't want to fiddle around with Bioware points et al.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by darksolitaire View Post
    Origin is having a Black Friday sale.

Question: does anyone who has the games in Origin know if they actually have all the DLC for mass effect series available? I'd rather have everything in one place and I don't want to fiddle around with Bioware points et al.
    Mass Effect Trilogy has most of it but IIRC there will still be some fiddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Inarius View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if companions also have restrictions on what powers they have access to.
    Yes, and I expect a bonus power system too - i.e. you can freely spec Ryder, but some specialized powers like Reave will be locked until you get the squadmate who'll teach you that ability to be loyal.

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiousLeader View Post
    My prediction is that there will still be a "kit" setup, with a set of base powers, and then you can swap those out from within a somewhat wider pool for that kit. So for example, you'll have a class called "Turian Technician" that starts with a bunch of tech powers - let's say, Tech Armor, Overload, Incinerate, and Defense Drone. But then you can swap out some of those for others, like dropping Tech Armor for Adrenaline Rush since all Turians go through Soldier training, or dropping Overload for Arc Grenade to give you more burst but less sustain. But you wouldn't be able to go whole hog and replace Incinerate with Singularity because he's not biotic. Stuff like that.

This will also enable Bioware to make certain specialty powers (e.g. powerful stuff like Flare or Pylon) into rare rewards for their inevitable loot box system.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2016-11-23 at 09:24 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #80

OldWizardGuy

Mass Effect Trilogy has most of it but IIRC there will still be some fiddling.
    Not the answer I was hoping for, but thanks. I guess I don't need to replay them anytime soon.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Looking forward to this, I loved all of the Mass Effect games when Kai Leng wasn't on screen. I won't be buying on day 1, mainly because I don't have a device that can play it (I'll likely get a PS4 eventually, but I'm not in a position to right now), but from what I can tell it looks great.

I'm not a big fan of exploration games, but I have to admit that ME1 is my favourite of the series because the levels just feel bigger. I didn't hate the Mako, didn't particularly like it but I loved the idea of it and I personally didn't have too many problems with controlling it (but then again I mainly used it in missions and got out to fight), so I'm looking forward to the Nomand.

Things that specifically make me intrigued are the Jetpack and return to a non-initiated cover system (hopefully better than ME1's, but then I rarely used cover in ME1 if I wasn't an Infiltrator). It feels like combat is going to be more dynamic and characters are expected to be on the move, I look forward to trying out a character who doesn't use cover (because really, I don't like cover shooting that much). Plus jetpacking around the map will be fun, although I suspect it'll work on a limited amount of thrust instead of letting me soar though the sky, but anything that allows me to play Juan RicoRyder is a good game.

As far as the story goes, if we get something as good as ME3 (which isn't bad as much as it is not as good as expected) it should be fine. I'm not happy on these new villains as far was I've seen, but I hope that there's a variety of them so we don't get stuck with discount Saren for the entire game (because while I enjoyed Mass Effect 1 I don't need another ME game with the same villain).

Actually, now that I think about it, the only ending in the series so far I actually liked was ME1, because of the final level to reach and defeat Saren. If they can let me defeat a villain that I've been fighting against for the entire game again MEA will be awesome, rather than the letdown of Harbinger.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I didn't hate the Mako, didn't particularly like it but I loved the idea of it and I personally didn't have too many problems with controlling it (but then again I mainly used it in missions and got out to fight), so I'm looking forward to the Nomand.
    In the actual missions, the Mako was excellent - every mission had mostly flat or gently rolling ground that was easy to steer on, and its durability and firepower were great.

The problem is on all the random exploration planets. Such places tend to have large amounts of hilly and mountainous terrain, often with sharp curves and/or near-vertical inclines with no obvious way around, which has to be navigated through to reach the special loot/explorer/resource locations. In that kind of terrain the Mako's steering goes straight wildly swerving to hell, and on the steeper slopes finding the path that's just barely gentle enough to drive up can be an exercise in frustration.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

23. - Top - End - #83

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
    In the actual missions, the Mako was excellent - every mission had mostly flat or gently rolling ground that was easy to steer on, and its durability and firepower were great.

The problem is on all the random exploration planets. Such places tend to have large amounts of hilly and mountainous terrain, often with sharp curves and/or near-vertical inclines with no obvious way around, which has to be navigated through to reach the special loot/explorer/resource locations. In that kind of terrain the Mako's steering goes straight wildly swerving to hell, and on the steeper slopes finding the path that's just barely gentle enough to drive up can be an exercise in frustration.
    The open world areas aren't really that bad. Most of them have a route you can use to traverse them that is as smooth as the main mission areas you use the Mako in. Some of those routes tend to be very round about though and the worst worlds tend to be the Garden Worlds like Elantia and Ontarom.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

The open world areas aren't really that bad. Most of them have a route you can use to traverse them that is as smooth as the main mission areas you use the Mako in. Some of those routes tend to be very round about though and the worst worlds tend to be the Garden Worlds like Elantia and Ontarom.
    You're probably totally right. But all I remember is getting bored looking up where **** was then pointing he mako in the right direction and reading a book until I got there.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Most worlds have easy traversal around hard parts of the map. But a lot of the notable locations (read: OCD fodder) are buried deep in hard parts.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    Most worlds have easy traversal around hard parts of the map. But a lot of the notable locations (read: OCD fodder) are buried deep in hard parts.
    You call it OCD fodder, but when most of us played the first game we had no idea what would and wouldn't carry over to future titles. We basically had to do all these annoying little meaningless quests or risk missing out of future plot points.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

You call it OCD fodder, but when most of us played the first game we had no idea what would and wouldn't carry over to future titles. We basically had to do all these annoying little meaningless quests or risk missing out of future plot points.
    That seems like a very specific level of knowledge, given that the general expectation would not be for that stuff to carry over at all, and also because (at a guess) many of us played the first game without any knowledge of 'future titles'.

However, I think the basic point is fair since there was no knowing ahead of time whether that stuff would be relevant later in the same game.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lethologica View Post
    That seems like a very specific level of knowledge, given that the general expectation would not be for that stuff to carry over at all, and also because (at a guess) many of us played the first game without any knowledge of 'future titles'.

However, I think the basic point is fair since there was no knowing ahead of time whether that stuff would be relevant later in the same game.
    I just know that it was the reason I did all that annoying stuff even though I didn't care about it. It's like "I already spent 60 hours on this game...am I really going to miss out on potential future plot lines because I didn't want to do the last bunch of gathering quests?"

If I'm remembering correctly, at least one or two of those types of quests had a (small) effect on future games as well.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

I just know that it was the reason I did all that annoying stuff even though I didn't care about it. It's like "I already spent 60 hours on this game...am I really going to miss out on potential future plot lines because I didn't want to do the last bunch of gathering quests?"

If I'm remembering correctly, at least one or two of those types of quests had a (small) effect on future games as well.
    The matriarch discs for the Conrad Verner quest.
    What time is it?

30. - Top - End - #90

Agreed - sowing in useless 100% completion quests is enough of a crime to begin with, but doing it in a series where you import your saves is downright sadism.

Having said that, my hope is that they do a "Dragon Age Keep" style of import for future titles, where it's abundantly clear which activities will matter and which won't.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy