New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    A354: All special materials count as masterwork automatically so whatever the material says it costs to make a weapon out of it.
    That's not correct. Adamantine and Mithril automatically make the item Masterwork but that is specific to those 2 special materials and stated as such.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

2. - Top - End - #962
    Spamalot in the Playground

A354: Your dagger would cost 304gp. The calculation can be found in two places.

First, there is a MWK Cold Iron Longsword on CRB 471 that costs 330gp; 15gp * 2 = 30 for the cold iron, +300 for masterwork.

Second, from the 3.5 DMG 284, there is an example given of a +2 cold iron longsword that costs 10,330gp, and the breakdown is explained in detail - 15*2 = 30 for the cold iron, +300 for masterwork, +8000 for the +2 enhancement, +2000 for enhancing a cold iron item.

Both examples agree (and for the latter, PF would have no reason to change it) - what you double is the base cost of the weapon itself, and everything else gets added on top of that.

In both cases, cold iron is not automatically masterwork the way some other materials are.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-11-26 at 01:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #963
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    That's not correct. Adamantine and Mithril automatically make the item Masterworms to also apply tok but that is specific to those 2 special materials and stated as such.
    Huh. It seems I was mistaken. My apologies.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 355 If a creature increases by two size categories, does it grow to 4 times its original size and 64 times its original weight?
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2017-11-27 at 02:48 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #965

A355 partial: Mythic Enlarge Person states "factor of 25" for two size categories; make of that what you will. (Too lazy to math out the size portion.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #966
    Ettin in the Playground

Q356

Is there an equivalent to 3.5's Battle Caster feat for Pathfinder - i.e. a feat for those able to cast in light armor to permit them to cast in medium armor, that doesn't require arcane armor training as a prereq?
    Hail to the Lord of Death and Destruction!
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR THE YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

A356: it's not a feat, but the Bloodrager class allows for ignoring arcane spell failure chance in up to medium armor armor, the steelblood archetype allowing for heavy armor. though that is specifically for bloodrager spells, so unless your DM allows otherwise, that probably wouldn't be viable.

Shielded mage does that for shields... not armor though.

that's unfortunately all i can find right now.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #968
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q357: Is there any way to remove Bleed other than making the DC15 Heal check or applying some form of magic?
    It annoys me slightly that even a single point of bleed damage appears to be a death sentence for anything without a nearby healer and I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

9. - Top - End - #969

A357: You can provide first aid to yourself. Not sure why this is an issue since bleeding to death without medical assistance is something that happens quite frequently in our world. Anyway - yes you need the heal check or magic, but since the Heal skill doesn't require training and there are no penalties for failure, you can simply take 20 on yourself, which will take about 20 rounds, i.e. 2 minutes. You would need one heck of a Wis penalty before you're completely incapable of first aid this way.

The skill states you can't try again until you see proof of the first check's failure, but "I'm still bleeding" is fairly convincing proof. And if you're unconscious and bleeding, yeah you'll probably die without outside help - but that again is pretty realistic.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-12-01 at 01:53 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #970
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A357: You can provide first aid to yourself. Not sure why this is an issue since bleeding to death without medical assistance is something that happens quite frequently in our world. Anyway - yes you need the heal check or magic, but since the Heal skill doesn't require training and there are no penalties for failure, you can simply take 20 on yourself, which will take about 20 rounds, i.e. 2 minutes. You would need one heck of a Wis penalty before you're completely incapable of first aid this way.

The skill states you can't try again until you see proof of the first check's failure, but "I'm still bleeding" is fairly convincing proof. And if you're unconscious and bleeding, yeah you'll probably die without outside help - but that again is pretty realistic.
    That was beautifully combined sarcasm and helpful information delivered Psyren. I take my hat off to you. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    GM'ing is like handling a roasting pork shoulder; the adventure is long, fraught with peril, and when done well delicious in its payoff.
    It's best with friends, something to drink (alcohol if you need/want), jokes and a good sense to accept and enjoy everything with one another for the full experience.
    Mistakes get made sometimes, laugh it off, make up, and go kill the monster to take his loot.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

My issue is not so much the heroes bleeding to death (although 20 damage before the bleed is removed will render most low-level adventurers unconscious before they or their friends finished taking 20), it is creatures bleeding to death. There are many ways for characters to get access to bleed from level one or two, and any creatures with animal levels of intellect or a lack of prehensile limbs will simply bleed out.

It just seems wrong for a lvl1 adventurer to be able to poke a CR9 Tyrannosaur (to take a somewhat hyperbolic example), causing it to die seventeen minutes later with no way of stopping this from happening.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post

Bloodblock is another solution, though whether you consider alchemy 'some form of magic' may render it a moot point.

As for Bleeding out animals, that's actually a valid hunting strategy that happens in nature in the real world. If a creature is bleeding as profusely as a Bleed effect does, they are going to die. It's what our real life ancestors did to large animals like mammoths instead of fight them: stick them with a barbed spear or such and let them bleed themselves to death instead of having a several people die trying to kill it outright. It doesn't take being super well-trained to outlive an animal and get some dinner for your tribe.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

13. - Top - End - #973

What Cieyrin said regarding animals - and it's not just human hunters that bleed out their prey, other animals use that tactic too. But just to address this bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Rungo View Post
    My issue is not so much the heroes bleeding to death (although 20 damage before the bleed is removed will render most low-level adventurers unconscious before they or their friends finished taking 20),
    You don't actually have to take 20, you can take 10 (if you're skilled enough, have bandages on you, or both), or failing that you can roll and hope for that 15 or higher - a 1 in 4 shot, so it should happen sooner than taking 20 would. But to reiterate my previous response - caring for yourself when you're bleeding profusely enough to die without such care is indeed difficult, and should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ArendK View Post
    That was beautifully combined sarcasm and helpful information delivered Psyren. I take my hat off to you. :D
    For the record, I truly wasn't trying to be, it was genuine confusion on my part.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-12-01 at 07:00 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #974

Q358 Could a Titan Mauler/Fighter
    apply Effortless Dual-Wielding (advanced weapon training) to Jotungrip to reduce the penalties of dual wielding two handed weapons?

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ettin in the Playground

A 358 It does appear that Jotungrip does make two-handed weapons of your size eligible for Effortless Dual-Wielding to further reduce its effective size for two-weapon fighting purposes, provided said two-handed weapon is one that you have weapon training in. So if you want to to dual-wield greatswords, you'll need Weapon Training(Heavy Blades), which won't help you with dual-wielding greataxes or butchering axes.

Q 359 Does a creature with DR/Epic's natural weapons pierce DR/Magic?

Q 359b Does a creature with DR/Magic or Epic's natural weapons count as magical for being able to effect Incorporeal creatures?
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2017-12-07 at 03:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

16. - Top - End - #976
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q360 Am about to start running Skull & Shackles but cannot find the rules for waves or whirlpools.
    I suspect it's right in front of me but I still can't find it.

17. - Top - End - #977

A359: While "DR/magic beats DR/magic" is clearly stated, and "DR/epic beats DR/epic" is also clearly stated, they are not actually stated as overcoming each other. It's easy enough to infer but your GM will have to make that leap.

A360: Don't know if there are rules for naturally-occurring ones, but there are spells that create these like Vortex that you could reverse-engineer.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #978
    Pixie in the Playground

Q361: When a Cryptic lands a critical hit with Disrupt Pattern, is the additional damage from the feat Improved Disruption, the magic item Bracers of Disruption, and the Insight Branding Pattern (assuming it was applied to the same target in the same round) multiplied?

Note: In the sources I have access to (Just the SRD and Hidden Intentions PDF) none of the above say that they aren't multiplied on a critical hit, nor do they make any reference to Enhanced Disruption, which does specify that its dice aren't multiplied on a critical hit. The implication I get is no, based on similar effects (including One Pattern), but I wanted to be sure.

Q362: When a Brutal Disruptor (Cryptic Archetype) uses Channelled Disruption and lands a critical hit with one of their melee attacks that round, is Disrupt Pattern's damage increased based on the weapon's critical hit multiplier, or is it treated like Spellstrike?

Note: I assume this only applies to the 1d6 + Int Mod damage of Disrupt Pattern plus whatever else would be affected in my first question, where applicable.

Q363: How do the Magic Weapon properties from an Amulet of Mighty Fists and a Ratfolk Tailblade interact when making a tail attack with the latter? I know it only gets the higher of the two enhancement bonuses from either item, but does it get all of the properties from both?

19. - Top - End - #979

A363: Yes, so long as the properties in question are legal for natural attacks then you should be able to combine them. It's worth noting that the Amulet lets you add properties without the +1 minimum that most other weapons (including the tailblade itself) have, so use that fact to maximize your magical real estate for properties. This effectively gives you a maximum of +14 worth of properties to put on your tail attack (with the +1 minimum from the blade), or perhaps more effectively, +5 enhancement on the blade with +10 worth of properties between blade and amulet to allocate.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #980
    Ettin in the Playground

A 361 Flat numbers usually get multiplied, so Improved Disruption and Branding Pattern should be multiplied, as they aren't called out like One Pattern is. Bracers of Disruption, as they provide extra dice, should work in the same way as Enhanced Disruption in that it doesn't get multiplied on a crit.

A 362 It's like Spellstrike or Explosive Missile, the base die + Int mod (+ other flat numbers) gets multiplied by 2 on a crit, it doesn't matter what the crit mod of the weapon is. No Falcata/Tongi shenanigans.

A 363 You get the higher of enhancement bonus and the special properties of both.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

21. - Top - End - #981
    Orc in the Playground

Q364 Is elemental a subtype that indicates kind?
    LGBTitP

Quote Originally Posted by ViperMagnum357 View Post
    I think I would agree with Boggartbae

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

A346 No, elementals of a specific type would also have the appropriate elemental subtype [fire, earth, air, water]
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ettin in the Playground

These are more Pathfinder Society specific but...

Q 347 According to the animal training FAQ, I can attempt to train an animal in a number of tricks equal to my ranks in Handle Animal between scenarios OR one purpose. Is the point of training purposes in Society that I only need to roll one Handle Animal check instead of for each trick individually? Do I need to have enough ranks to teach a purpose all at once equal to how many tricks the purpose teaches?

Q 348 Purchased animals come untrained unless noted. If I bought a purchased animal at character creation and have a rank in Handle Animal, can I attempt to teach it a trick before play starts or is there no point in buying a non-combat trained animal before you have a scenario under your belt?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

24. - Top - End - #984
    Orc in the Playground

Q349 If I call a creature using planar binding, kill it, and animate it as an intelligent undead with create undead, then make it my friend using command undead, will it still leave after the Day/level duration for open ended tasks from planar binding? Will I still need to make a Charisma check to get it to serve me?

Q350 Same scenario as above, but I turn the creature into an unintelligent undead. Will it leave after 1 Day/level?
    LGBTitP

25. - Top - End - #985
    Troll in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q351

Is casting attribute of (10+spell level) required for spell completion items(scrolls)? What about spell trigger items(wands)?

26. - Top - End - #986
    Ettin in the Playground

A 349-350 Planar Binding is instantaneous and a conjuration(calling) spell. The duration is for tasks, not the effect of coming to you, so provided its body doesn't revert back to its home plane like many outsiders do, you can animate its corpse as an undead and do with it what you will.

A 351 Scrolls explicitly require you have the required ability score to be able to attempt to cast it. Spell trigger items only require the spell be on your spell list to use them effectively.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #987
    Orc in the Playground

A347
    From the FAQ:
    "Alternatively, you may train one animal for a single purpose as long as you have enough ranks in Handle Animal to train the animal in each trick learned as part of that purpose. You may take 10 on Handle Animal checks to teach an animal companion tricks."

And from the SRD:
    "Training an animal for a purpose requires fewer checks than teaching individual tricks does, but no less time."

Since there are no general purposes that allow an animal to exceed its maximum number of tricks known, it would appear that the only point to training an animal a purpose in any scenario is that it takes fewer skill checks (which makes it a little pointless because you can also take 10)

A348
    The FAQ says this:
    "You can teach any animal a trick so long as you follow the rules for Handle Animal"

which would presumably include the time rule:
    "The following tricks can be taught to animals by training the animal for a week and making a successful Handle Animal skill check against the listed DC."

however the FAQ also puts a limit of 1 trick per rank during each scenario:
    "Once per scenario, you may attempt to train the animal companion a number of times equal to the number of ranks you have in the Handle Animal skill."

I see nothing here that limits training to between scenarios, so you could presumably start with an untrained animal and train it during play. Remember that most animals can be purchased already trained, and the SRD states that (for dinosaurs at least) the price is 1.5 times the regular untrained price.
    LGBTitP

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Q:352 Any spells / other things for bards /sorcerers that grant gaze attacks or other eye-related things? got burning gaze, lock gaze, and medusa's bane on the list, wondering if there's anything else, hoping i can give 'em to my familiar or somethin.
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-12-14 at 01:32 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #989
    Orc in the Playground

Q353 since monsters with epic hit dice don’t use the same rules for epic character, does that mean that they can get 5 iterative attacks from BAB? i.e. +30/+25/+20/+15/+10/+5 for a construct with 30 hitdice
    LGBTitP

30. - Top - End - #990

A 353: As Pathfinder does not have epic rules, you may be looking for the 3.5 thread.