New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Q 99 Is someone immune to fear (like a Paladin with Aura of Courage) also immune to Intimidating Force's attack negation?

Q 100 Does fear immunity make you not subject to the use of the Intimidate skill or just the Demoralize Opponent usage of it?
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2017-01-17 at 02:39 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Spamalot in the Playground

A99/100: Fear immunity blocks "all uses" of Intimidate, as well as anything that inflicts a fear-based condition (shaken, frightened, panicked) whether it is called a fear effect or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding A99-The pfsrd is down atm, but I recall Intimidating Force not being a Fear effect, as well as it working on the attack and not the opponent, unlike the Fear the Reaper maneuver (same maneuver level), which targets the opponent and has both a wider use and slightly stronger effect (as well as has the Fear tag, and explicit wording on affecting the opponent). Likely Intimidating Force works even on attacks from fear-immune enemies as it doesn't target the enemies themselves.
    The one and only Tuvarkz across all the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    Regarding A99-The pfsrd is down atm, but I recall Intimidating Force not being a Fear effect, as well as it working on the attack and not the opponent, unlike the Fear the Reaper maneuver (same maneuver level), which targets the opponent and has both a wider use and slightly stronger effect (as well as has the Fear tag, and explicit wording on affecting the opponent). Likely Intimidating Force works even on attacks from fear-immune enemies as it doesn't target the enemies themselves.
    I wouldn't allow it - it works due to the initiator's countenance "inspiring fear", and more importantly from a RAW standpoint, it is a use of Intimidate. DSP may rule differently than I would though.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

If you wildshape into a salmon, can you breath underwater?

What size is a Salmon?

What size is a whale?

6. - Top - End - #186
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q. #102
    Is it possible to discern the class of a caster after successfully identifying the spell he's casting with a Spellcraft check?

My wizard wants to belittle a sorcerer for being such, but I need an in-game reason for his insight.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

A 101a Polymorph effects that grant swim speeds grant the ability to breathe while in water, so yes.

A 101b While there is no official stats for Salmon, there is for Pufferfish, which are a similar size, which I'd say makes them Tiny.

A 101c It depends on the whale. The common whale in Bestiary 2 is Gargantuan, which puts it outside normal Wild Shaping. Orcas, in the Bestiary meanwhile, are Huge and Narwhals from Bestiary 5 are Large.

A 102 Spellcraft won't tell you the class of the caster of the spell you identify, just what the spell is. There are other telltale signs of class, like if they need a divine symbol of some sort or if they didn't bother with material components but otherwise you'll just have to figure it out via other means.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 103

Does a level 7 Pack Mule (fighter archetype) run at x4 or x3 while carrying a heavy load (assuming light or no armor)? The pertinent excerpt is "At 7th level, a pack mule can move at his normal speed while carrying a heavy load."
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Barbarian in the Playground

Imp

Q 104

Does the Blade skill "Focused Offense" mean that you add 1.5x your STR mod to attacks with weapons you wield in 2 hands?

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

A104:

Once an exeption is given, it does nor automatically carry over to other rules without being especially called out to do so.

In case of this archetype, it means that one aspect of the heavy load condition is ignored, not the whole condition and everything that comes from it. So that Fighter can move w/o restriction, but is still considered to carry a heavy load when it comes to running,

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kkplx View Post
    Q 104

Does the Blade skill "Focused Offense" mean that you add 1.5x your STR mod to attacks with weapons you wield in 2 hands?
    It has the same wording as Unchained Rogue's Finesse Training, which has an FAQ specifying that the handedness affects the modifier like it would for Str, so it follows that Focused Offense does the same thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #192
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q105

If either the Alter Ego template or the Trompe L'oeil template are applied to a normally commanded creature can the resultant Construct also be commanded in the same fashion? By the same person?

Q106

Do the Integrated Weapons of Robots or weapons and armor incorporated into a Construct using the Armor Modification or Weapon Modification qualify for the Trompe L'oeil's Enhancement Bonuses?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2017-01-21 at 12:15 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193

A103: It's not absolutely clear, but "normal speed" should include running speed.

A105: Even assuming you could apply these templates to a creature that currently exists in the world, and do so while it is under such an effect (how?), it would likely depend on the specific method you're using to command them. For instance, something like Dominate Person would cease to work because the monster has become a construct and is now an invalid target for the spell.

A106: Integrated weapons appear to be treated as natural weapons except for targeting purposes, which means they would not get the bonus.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Q107 Are arrows destroyed when you use them, or can you retrieve them after battle?
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2017-01-22 at 11:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195

A 107 It depends on whether it hits or misses:
    Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.
    Last edited by Firest Kathon; 2017-01-22 at 05:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    A 107 It depends on whether it hits or misses:
    What about thrown spears?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    What about thrown spears?
    Thrown weapons in general (except shuriken, which follow ammunition rules that Firest Kathon quoted) are reusable, they don't break on impact.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    Q 108 What about thrown spears?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 108 Thrown weapons in general (except shuriken, which follow ammunition rules that Firest Kathon quoted) are reusable, they don't break on impact.
    A 108 addendum To expand on the answer: Thrown weapons are not ammunition, and as such (normally) do not break when using them.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 109: Does the "echo" spell from Echoing Spell count as a spell slot?

Q 110: What happens with a scroll or other magic item being used to cast an Echoing Spell?

Q 111: Does the "Echo" spell from Echoing Spell qualify as a prepared spell for abilities that have you expend prepared spells?

Q 112: Going into 3.PF, can an "Echo" spell be fed to Versatile Spellcaster to cast a spell?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q 113 How can you count as a Hag? Using as levels as possible? Any type of hag works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Therefore, you just need a taller statue -- or a sufficiently high pedestal for your statue, if you're a cheese-weasel -- to permanently kill any god in 2e.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Q114 How exactly does the Sun Blade's "special sunlight ability" work? It seems vague.
    Specifically, what action is "swinging the sword above your head"? Does it provoke AoOs? What does the dim glow do? Is it just dim light (assumabley, but I'm not fully sure)? Or raise the light level by a step? I need some clarification on this.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

A 109 A spell and its echo are contained in the same slot, regardless of whether you're prepared or spontaneous. It's not creating another slot, it's letting you use the same slot twice for the spell modified by Echoing Spell.

A 110 An Echoing spell scribed on a scroll wouldn't have that instance expended when you cast it till you cast the Echo as well. Magic items that use charges, like wands, I don't think there's a clear answer for.

A 111 The spell and its echo reside in the same slot, so for a prepared caster, the slot isn't expended till you also use the echo.

A 112 The spell slot isn't expended till you also use the echo, so you can feed that slot into Versatile Spellcaster. You couldn't feed the original spell and the echo into Versatile Spellcaster to get a higher slot, as it's still one slot.

A 113 Either by being one of the various types of hags or have the Coven hex (at least for joining a hag's coven).

A 114 It is vague, it's wording hasn't changed since D&D 3.0, pretty much. Anyways, a Sun Blade's Sunlight ability is a combination of command word and use activated; as such, it falls under the Activate a Magic Item action, which is a Standard action that doesn't provoke. To keep swinging it is to Concentrate on it, which is also a Standard action that doesn't provoke. The dim glow being dim light makes the most sense, as either its making Bright Light while being Concentrated on or Dim Light while it lingers. It makes no indication that a Sun Blade's Sunlight increases the light level outside its radius, so by RAW it doesn't. RAI it probably should but, again, it's 3.0 wording that barely changed from 2nd Ed and earlier.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

A 109 A spell and its echo are contained in the same slot, regardless of whether you're prepared or spontaneous. It's not creating another slot, it's letting you use the same slot twice for the spell modified by Echoing Spell.

A 110 An Echoing spell scribed on a scroll wouldn't have that instance expended when you cast it till you cast the Echo as well. Magic items that use charges, like wands, I don't think there's a clear answer for.

A 111 The spell and its echo reside in the same slot, so for a prepared caster, the slot isn't expended till you also use the echo.

A 112 The spell slot isn't expended till you also use the echo, so you can feed that slot into Versatile Spellcaster. You couldn't feed the original spell and the echo into Versatile Spellcaster to get a higher slot, as it's still one slot.
    So what you're saying is that Echoing Spell lets you cast a spell and spend the slot on something else? Because this gets quite broken when you have access to other things to spend spell slots on, like Reserve feats and some magic items. It bloats flexibility quite impressively.
    Last edited by Morphic tide; 2017-01-25 at 10:43 AM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    So what you're saying is that Echoing Spell lets you cast a spell and spend the slot on something else? Because this gets quite broken when you have access to other things to spend spell slots on, like Reserve feats and some magic items. It bloats flexibility quite impressively.
    If that something else is cast the exact same spell, yes, or do you mean to use the slot after casting the original spell?
    I'm not sure how it breaks Reserve feats, as being a Spontaneous caster was generally enough to be able to use it all day. Getting to use the same slot twice I guess makes them more valuable for prepared casters, though Wizards already had the Split Slot arcane discovery, which more efficiently split it and it didn't have to be the same spell in the new slots you made.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

If that something else is cast the exact same spell, yes, or do you mean to use the slot after casting the original spell?
    I'm not sure how it breaks Reserve feats, as being a Spontaneous caster was generally enough to be able to use it all day. Getting to use the same slot twice I guess makes them more valuable for prepared casters, though Wizards already had the Split Slot arcane discovery, which more efficiently split it and it didn't have to be the same spell in the new slots you made.
    Well, it's crazy because it basically lets you cast the spells, then use the slot again for either recasting the same spell or something that normally requires spending a spell slot or prepared spells. Metamagic rods also get some odd uses, in that you can apply one metamagic to one casting and a different one to the other casting.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Well, it's crazy because it basically lets you cast the spells, then use the slot again for either recasting the same spell or something that normally requires spending a spell slot or prepared spells. Metamagic rods also get some odd uses, in that you can apply one metamagic to one casting and a different one to the other casting.
    I suppose, but I think you'd need metamagic reducers to get something really cool going but metamagic reducers are silly, anyways. Either way, further discussion on Echoing Spell should probably move to its own thread at this point.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 113 Can I use the Master Craftsman feat to Craft Magic Arms and Armor with Profession (midwife) or Craft (shoes) or to Craft Wondrous Items with Profession (farmer) or Craft (ships)?
    Extended signature here. Contains: 2 avatars, 3 quotes, a doggo and his friends.

Kitchen Crashers: an adventure building Iron Chef - First edition running 20/04/18-18/05/18.

28. - Top - End - #208

A113: Since you must be able to use the chosen skill to make the item, your GM has to sign off on whatever you select. Your choices seem unlikely to work without a very permissive one; I recommend something much more generic and martially-inclined, like Profession (Hunter) to craft magic bows, leather, and fetish accessories, or Profession (Blacksmith) to make various metal swords, armor, steel necklaces and the like.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-01-25 at 10:20 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #209
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q114: Does the "Energy" Psionic weapon enhancement placed on a firearm allow it to be fired repeatedly without ever needing to reload?
    Last edited by Kaskus; 2017-01-26 at 01:25 AM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

A 114 Yes.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!