New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    Q366: Other than the Titan Mauler barbarian archetype and the Goblin racial feat that lets them use medium sized firearms, is there a feat/class feature/racial ability/etc. that allows characters to use weapons that are normally too large for them?
    A 366 As has been mentioned for previous questions like this, this may be better for a topic than a simple question, but I can think of two other methods off the top of my head, the Titan Fighter and Artillery Team, as well as Effortless Lace can help with the penalties for using weapons not your size.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2018-01-12 at 06:52 AM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 366 As has been mentioned for previous questions like this, this may be better for a topic than a simple question, but I can think of two other methods off the top of my head, the Titan Fighter and Artillery Team, as well as Effortless Lace can help with the penalties for using weapons not your size.
    Noted.

Titan fighter is also an option, and Artilery Team looks cool. Preferably I'd like a character that uses weapons that are actually bigger, rather than items that increase the effective size of the weapon.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q367 if two allies flank an opponent does a third ally in melee not on the opposite site gets the +2 bonus.
    Something like this:
    AEB
    XCX

E is enemy
    A and B are allies
    Does C gets the +2?
    Last edited by Myth27; 2018-01-14 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Bold

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 367

You only get flanking if you can draw a line from the center of one of your squares to the center of an ally's square that passes through two opposite sides of the opponent. See pages 152 and 153 of the PHB for visuals.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

A367: No. Think of it like that: It´s not like E is getting the "flanked" status, but A and B are gaining the "flanking" status. This is important because there're feats and class features that modify this.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q368
    Circle of Death vs Swarm with 10HD - does it work?
    The reasoning being, each creature _in_ the swarm certainly has <9HD and thus should be affected.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ettin in the Playground

A 368 RAW, no, swarms are treated as a single creature with a single pool of HD, so a 10 HD swarm would be immune to Circle of Death.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ettin in the Playground

A 368 Addendum: Difference between type and subtype. Both, "Swarm" and "Troop" exclude individual targeting by RAW and create a new discreet rules entity.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q369: Swarm vs fire elemental.
    Does the swarm take fire damage when it deals damage?

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Ettin in the Playground

A369: Yes.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 370 How do Gun Tanks and Alkenstar Fortress Plate interact, if at all? Do they stack or are they redundant by RAW?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Spamalot in the Playground

A370: Assuming you specifically mean the Bullet Deflection ability, by RAW they do stack*, because one gives you half your armor bonus back as an armor bonus, and the other gives you half your armor bonus as a deflection bonus.

*They stack if they both apply, for example against a firearm attack made against you within the first range increment (would normally target touch AC, you get the full AC from your armor back instead.) Also you would only get the enhancement bonus re-added once. Against other types of attacks, you might only have one apply (e.g. alchemist bomb - Gun Tank applies, Fortress Plate does not) or neither (rays.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q371
    As a Paladin with the Chosen one Archetype, worshipping Iomedae (LG) am I restricted to LG familiars? Can i take the Azata Lyrakien since it agrees on the outsider side of the rules, and just make it a LG Azata?

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ettin in the Playground

A 371 Chosen One's True Form requires the familiar share alignment with their deity. Deities with paladins are LN, LG, or NG, so no Azata would answer the call, especially since Lyrakien serve Desna, who doesn't have any paladins. Changing the alignment would be a GM call, so not by RAW.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #1035

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 371 Chosen One's True Form requires the familiar share alignment with their deity. Deities with paladins are LN, LG, or NG, so no Azata would answer the call, especially since Lyrakien serve Desna, who doesn't have any paladins. Changing the alignment would be a GM call, so not by RAW.
    Expanding on that, that means the only available familiars for a LG deity are Cassisian and Harbinger right? Or are there other options I can't see?

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Lisselys View Post
    Expanding on that, that means the only available familiars for a LG deity are Cassisian and Harbinger right? Or are there other options I can't see?
    A371b: Lantern Archons as well. I'm certain there are others, however.

Edit: nvm, lantern archons are not on the list. I thought they were on a list somewhere, but apparently not. Going by the list on pfsrd, you are correct. Those are the only LG outsiders available.
    However, you may be able to talk your gm into allowing a normal familiar with both the resolute and celestial templates applied, making it lawful good.

Q372: Could a mythic legendary item be used as a phylactory?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2018-01-16 at 10:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ettin in the Playground

A372: No. The requirements for a phylactery are specific and they don't cover mythic.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    A372: No. The requirements for a phylactery are specific and they don't cover mythic.
    A372 rebuttal: The requirement simply states it requires 120,000 gp and must be crafted by the lich himself.
    Nothing says it cannot be imbued with more magic than just the phylactory, and mythic legendary can be imbued into anything...
    So wouldn't it be possible so long as the item was crafted by the lich himself?
    Alternatively, couldn't the lich take the phylactory as his legendary item?

19. - Top - End - #1039

A372: You could make a phylactery, become Mythic, and then choose that wondrous item for the Legendary Item mythic path. All of the above require GM permission though.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q373: are there any rules for the interaction of two-weapon fighting and ranged weapons? Specifically one-handed firearms and hand crossbows, either dual-wielding them or wielding one alongside a melee weapon. Do they count as one-handed or light for the bonuses, or can one not use the TWF feat to attack with both sword and pistol in the same round? The combat section has notes for which thrown weapons count as light or one-handed when being dual-wielded (dual-thrown?), but not ranged weapons capable of being fired from one hand.
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2018-01-16 at 09:08 PM.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

21. - Top - End - #1041

A373: Hand crossbows and light weapons with a range increment (e.g. daggers) all count as light. Most of the rest count as 1H unless they need 2 hands to use (e.g. most bows and crossbows.) TWF interacts with these categories as you'd expect.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2018-01-16 at 10:19 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A373: Hand crossbows and light weapons with a range increment (e.g. daggers) all count as light. Most of the rest count as 1H unless they need 2 hands to use (e.g. most bows and crossbows.) TWF interacts with these categories as you'd expect.
    Unless they were errata'd at some point, Light and Heavy crossbows have special TWF rules they inherited from 3.5, namely that they can be fired with 1 hand and thus can be TWF. Heavy crossbows are 1H and Light crossbows are light weapons, as well as a special penalty for firing them 1 handed (-4 for heavy and -2 for light).
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    A372 rebuttal: The requirement simply states it requires 120,000 gp and must be crafted by the lich himself.
    Nothing says it cannot be imbued with more magic than just the phylactory, and mythic legendary can be imbued into anything...
    So wouldn't it be possible so long as the item was crafted by the lich himself?
    Alternatively, couldn't the lich take the phylactory as his legendary item?
    The Lich template and the Phylactery item and the creation of both are linked. You can't have the one without the other. The phylactery entry states that this is an example form and other forms are possible, but excludes other items (and also doesn't got into it what happens when you take an pre-existing magic item or a Bonded Object).
    So, as this is the RAW thread, "no" is the RAW answer, everything else is "ask you gm" (The Mythic Lich does it, but the template doesn't come with rules how to become one and transform the phyactery)

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Ettin in the Playground

A 373 Addendum: That's a multi-part question.

1) Non-Firearms ranged weapons are generally in the 2H category, Firearms come divided in the 1H and 2H category. Specific beating general, individual ranged weapons come with overriding rules attached.

Quotes from the PRD, Ultimate Equipment:

Hand Crossbow:
    "You can shoot, but not load, a hand crossbow with one hand at no penalty. You can shoot a hand crossbow with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two light weapons."

Heavy Crossbow:
    "Normally, operating a heavy crossbow requires two hands. However, you can shoot, but not load, a heavy crossbow with one hand at a –4 penalty on attack rolls. You can shoot a heavy crossbow with each hand, but you take a penalty on attack rolls as if attacking with two one-handed weapons. This penalty is cumulative with the penalty for one-handed firing."

2) Solve the reloading problem and TWF works fine with ranged weapons. It can even be combined with ranged combat feats like Rapid Shot.

3) Firing a ranged weapon while in melee triggers an AoO as usual, even when TWFing it along a melee weapon. There's the "Sword and Pistol" feat that solves that (Ultimate Combat)

25. - Top - End - #1045

OldWizardGuy

Q374 I need help determining the cost of a custom item. A Command Word Item that cast Stoneskin 2/day, would you add the material component cost for Stoneskin (250gp*50, if I understand the rules correctly) before or after you divide by 2.5 (dividing by 5/number of daily charges).

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Ogre in the Playground

A375: The material cost is always added after all other calculations have been made. We can see this after examining an Ioun Torch, (which, while it does use a permanent duration spell as the enchantment), we can see that the market price is 75gp, which the cost to make is 62.5gp, since the half price for creation only goes towards the base item, not the spell components. Or as another example, the PFSRD states that wands that cast spells that have expensive material components add the cost of the material to the base price and the cost to create the wand per charge.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2018-01-17 at 07:07 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Titan in the Playground

Q375: Silly question but just in case.

Making my first character with a familiar, it has four hit die while the base creature has one. Are the saves and other things not altered by being a families still the same as the one hit-die version of the creature, or do they go up with the additional hit die?

edit: Saves are modified by being familiar. herp.

Edit:

Q376 The two-headed feat says "Special attacks that are based on the head" For the "Two heads are better" segment. Does that include Poison from a bite? Or no?
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2018-01-18 at 01:06 AM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1048

A375: Familiars use their master's base saving throws if those are higher, so they can scale that way. They do not add any other bonuses from the master (e.g. from gear, or from the master's ability scores) so you'll want to buff or outfit your familiar if you expect it to be in harm's way. (Generally, the more expedient option is to just keep it out of combat - most GMs will leave it alone if it is not an active participant in a fight, particularly if there are enough other targets on the battlefield to keep their monsters occupied.)

A376: Could you link that feat? All I'm finding is a (third party) template.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Titan in the Playground

Here you go

and thanks!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1050

Yeah, that's what I saw. As mentioned, that's not a feat, rather it's a third-party template. You should be able to do a poisoned bite with both heads and get the bonus from what I can tell.

(As a sidenote, that template is really poorly written - by RAW, it takes no penalties to any form of attack sequence, which includes things like iteratives or rapid shot.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy