New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about Pathfinder.

If your question is about D&D 4e, ask here
    If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here.
    If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread regarding it.
    If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here.
    If you want to find a certain feat or ability, Lists of Stuff and X stat to Y bonus are both useful threads.

The Procedure:

Do:
    Label your questions with bold Q#s.
    Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
    Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
    Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
    Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
    Specify if your question is for a system other than Pathfinder (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
    Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
    Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
    Answer a question that’s already been recently answered.
    Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
    Post to debate the answers given.
    Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
    If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
    If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
    If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
    How do I play Pathfinder? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
    What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
    Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
    Q.1. Are there any Large for PC races?
    Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
    Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
    Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

The previous thread can be found here.

Please start over with the numbering.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

confused Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Q#1

My Dm has an npc with protection from energy cast on it.
    I got a feature that treats inmunity as Resistance 40 minus my caster lvl.
    Prot from energy states "grants temporary inmunity...when the spell absorbs x damage, it is discharged"
    He ruled that prot from energy is not the same than having an inmunity.

Is he correct?
    Last edited by pilvento; 2016-11-08 at 05:05 PM.
    english not base lenguage, sry for the grammar, thanks.

Kael Proudmoure, Swifblade (avatar by Loki Eremes)
    Unlimited arcane technique: Spell, Sword, and Fist.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

A1: This feature of yours sounds homebrewed, in which case your GM would indeed be the ultimate authority on how it interacts with immunities and pseudo-immunities.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

A 1 Can you name the feature that lets you treat Immunity as Resistance 40? I know I've read that somewhere but I can't remember where from.
    In any case, Protection from Energy's Immunity isn't exempt from it, Energy Immunity is Energy Immunity and treated as such for effects, even if it's not a permanent ability.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q2: Is there a way to count corpses or dead creatures as creatures for the purpose of spell effects?

Q3: Does a creature buried by Hungry Earth stay buried at the end of the spell's duration?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

A2

Would Animate Objects do the trick for you? Aninate Dead?

If I may ask, what are you trying to do?

7. - Top - End - #7

A3: As written, no:

Timed Durations

Many durations are measured in rounds, minutes, hours, or other increments. When the time is up, the magic goes away and the spell ends.
    In addition, the specific way this spell buries you is via a grapple check; if the spell ends, the earth cannot roll to maintain the grapple and thus the grapple will automatically fail, releasing the victim.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    A2

Would Animate Objects do the trick for you? Aninate Dead?

If I may ask, what are you trying to do?
    The idea I encountered was being able to cast spells that target/affect creatures on corpses while leaving them inanimate, so neither of those spells would really fit in with that.

Was trying to understand Hungry Earth so I googled it and saw a discussion of Hungry Earth where a claim was put forward that dead creatures still count as creatures for certain spells, so one could use the spell to hide bodies. Didn't seem to be addressed in that thread and I didn't want to Necro it.
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The idea I encountered was being able to cast spells that target/affect creatures on corpses while leaving them inanimate, so neither of those spells would really fit in with that.

Was trying to understand Hungry Earth so I googled it and saw a discussion of Hungry Earth where a claim was put forward that dead creatures still count as creatures for certain spells, so one could use the spell to hide bodies. Didn't seem to be addressed in that thread and I didn't want to Necro it.
    Hmm, the idea intrigues me. However, by my admittedly limited understanding of the rules dead stuff becomes objects.

However it wouldnt surprise me if, by RAW, when a creature dies no rule explicitly makes it an object instead of a, now modified by not having ability scores, creature.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    (This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)
    I dont understand the rules here and i dont understand the sub-forum.

None of the subforums specify Pathfinder.

Where is it that I post Pathfinder Questions and discussion?

I mean you say "This thread is for all simple RAW questions about Pathfinder."

But then you say "If your question is about D&D 4e, ask here"
    I am confused.
    Last edited by DrDeth; 2016-11-11 at 05:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q4:

A creature is tagged with Dimensional Anchor for 13 minutes. It runs away, breaking line of sight, and has a 6 round head start. Does this count as a "functioning spell" for the purposes of Detect Magic? Can they track this creature from the lingering aura of Dimensional Anchor? How often will they need to stop and concentrate to continue tracking the aura?
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrDeth View Post
    I am confused.
    Copypasta error most likely explains the erroneous mention of 4e in the OP. The description for this subforum means Pathfinder discussions go in this sub-forum.

Quote Originally Posted by The GITP Forums
    D&D 3e/3.5e/d20

The forum for conversations specifically related to the rules and procedures of Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition, 3.5 Edition, or any fantasy game using the d20 system or a variant thereof (commercially published or not).
    Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Q5 I can't find the guidelines to determine the price of a magic item with 2 (or more) bonuses.
    For example an item that grants an ability bonus costs: bonus squared x 1000
    What's the price of an item that grants 2 or more ability bonuses of +2? do you add the separate prices together and multiply the sum by a fixed number (like 1.5)?

I am confused.
    "here" should have a link to the thread where you can ask D&D 4e questions. That is also true for the other "here" that follow. This thread is about simple pathfinder questions
    Last edited by Red Bear; 2016-11-12 at 05:54 PM. Reason: double posting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I am confused.
    "here" should have a link to the thread where you can ask D&D 4e questions. That is also true for the other "here" that follow. This thread is about simple pathfinder questions
    Last edited by Red Bear; 2016-11-12 at 05:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

A 5 It's under Adding New Abilities in the Magic Item chapter of the Core Rule Book. Having multiple abilities on the same item costs 1.5 what it would cost normally. So say you have a Belt of Incredible Dex +2 (which costs 4000 gp) and want to add +2 Con. According to the formula, +2 Con is 4000 gp but it's in the same slot, so you pay 6000 gp (4000 x 1.5) to make it +2 Dex/Con, for a total price of 10,000 gp, which is the price for a Belt of Physical Might.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

16. - Top - End - #16

A4: The (de)buff moves with the creature - there will be nothing to detect if the creature itself has moved away. The "lingering aura" is for free-standing/area spells, like Hallow or Entangle.

More importantly, if the party is running after someone who has been prevented from teleporting away, you should probably use the Chase rules instead.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

mmm new thread smell...

Q 6: Meta-magic doesn't actually increase the level of a spell correct? So if I hae a supped up maximized, intensified fireball. Assumign Iproepared the spell that way, could I use a Pearl of Power to regain the ability to cast that meta-magiced spell?
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

A 6 No, a metamagiced spell is actually the size of the slot it's in. An Intensified, Maximized Fireball fits in a 7th level spell slot (not including mitigators), so it takes a Pearl of Power(7th) or Runestone of Power (7th) to recharge the slot, as according to this FAQ.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #19

Basically, you get all the downsides of the higher spell level, with none of the upsides, because you already got your benefit (namely, the metamagic effect itself.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #20

Q7 I appologize if outside the scope of the thread, but does pathfinder have anything close ability or flavor wise to the 3.5 dragon shaman?

21. - Top - End - #21

A7: Nothing first-party, aura-based classes aren't really a PF thing. You could probably create something workable using 3rd-party though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Q8. Does the feat Pass for Human negate the time penalty from the rogue talent Quick Disguise for dressing as a different race? Or if I have both of those, could I disguise myself as a human of the same age and sex in a full-round action?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

23. - Top - End - #23

A8: Yes, you would get the faster time. The minute disguise time would count as a "penalty for disguising yourself as another race" (since not doing so would be faster), and therefore Pass For Human negates it.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 9.: Does Tremorsense negate concealment? Obscuring Mist for example.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

25. - Top - End - #25

MindFlayer

A9: No, it just pinpoints their square. So you can attack them (with a weapon, attack roll spell, or area of effect spell), but they still get 50% miss chance and immunity to individual targeted spells.

26. - Top - End - #26

A9: This one is hotly debated and unfortunately we haven't gotten an official clarification yet. Some people run it like blindsight, some like blindsense; in both cases, you can use it to identify someone's square, but only one lets you ignore any concealment they might have.

Personally I go with the blindsense ruling as only blindsight and touchsight specifically mention defeating concealment, but your GM could reasonably go either way.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 10 What's the CL of any of Living Monolith's spell-like abilities? Class Level? Character Level? I was wondering for the Enlarge Person initially but none of them seem to have one listed that I can see...
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #28

A10 It's the first line in the Class Features section:
    The caster level for powers that duplicate spell effects is equal to the living monolith's character level.
    Last edited by Firest Kathon; 2016-11-18 at 04:10 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

NecromancerGuy

Q11: What rules or guidelines would cover turning an uncovered pit into a pit trap?

Q12: Are there any rules or guidelines that would cover altering the surface area of a pit trap(as opposed to it's depth) and the effect it would have on CR, or is the CR definitely the same whether it's a 10x10 area pit or a 100x100 area pit?

Q13: Are Wizards the only spellcasters who can research new or variant spells by RAW?
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Q14: Sword-devil ranger archetype (published in the Worldscape #1 comic) has an ability Slashing Fury which affects "a single light or one handed slashing weapon". Is it supposed to mean "(Light) or (one-handed slashing) weapon", or "(light or one-handed) slashing weapon"? I would suppose it's the second, except the iconic sword-devil in the same book has "Slashing Fury (longsword, shortsword)". Shortsword isn't a slashing weapon.
    Last edited by jamieth; 2016-11-21 at 01:00 AM.
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature