New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

A 269 Objects would have a CMD of 10 - 5 (for Dex 0) - 2 (AC modification) +/- size modifier, so effectively 3 +/- size modifier. As they do not have a strength score, the relevant modifier is treated as +/- 0.
    An inanimate object has not only a Dexterity of 0 (–5 penalty to AC), but also an additional –2 penalty to its AC.
    Any penalties to a creature’s AC also apply to its CMD.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 270 Is the amount of time it takes to craft a magic item based on the cost of the material components or the market value of the item?
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2017-05-23 at 12:45 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Spamalot in the Playground

A270: It's based on price, i.e. the market value (the higher amount.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

Q271: What skill do you use to ID alchemical items? No Knowledge skill seems to cover it, it's not a magical item so Spellcraft doesn't apply, and Craft (alchemy) doesn't say anything about identification.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ogre in the Playground

A 271: There are no rules for identifying alchemical items. Much like there are no rules for identifying a weapon or armor (magical properties not withstanding). The identification of mundane (non magical) gear is automatic.

However, it would not be a stretch to allow the Craft[Alchemy] to be the skill used to identify such items, if you wish to suspend the rule that mundane gear is automatically identified. Basing the DC around the Craft DC of the item in question.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Q. 272 what is the result if someone is using a spellcraft check to understand what type of spell is being cast at a given time if the person casting the spell is speaking in a language that the person trying to use the spellcraft check doesn't understand
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

7. - Top - End - #547
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A 272. That has no mechanical effect, if they pass the spellcraft DC to identify the spell they do so.

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Q. 272 what is the result if someone is using a spellcraft check to understand what type of spell is being cast at a given time if the person casting the spell is speaking in a language that the person trying to use the spellcraft check doesn't understand
    Language does not affect verbal components. It's more like math than vocabulary; universal.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

A272 addendum Spell identification isn't reliant on the presence or absence of components, which is why you don't have any issues identifying spells without components, psychic spells, or spell-like abilities, or why a Silent Still spell isn't automatically unidentifiable.
    Last edited by Tuvarkz; 2017-05-24 at 02:20 PM.
    The one and only Tuvarkz across all the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

10. - Top - End - #550

A272 addendum correction: While you can identify a spell with no components, you still must be able to perceive it; the same penalties and factors that apply to Perception apply to your Spellcraft check. So if someone is casting a silent spell behind a door and you can't see it, you get no roll. But if they cast that same spell out loud, you could perceive the verbal component and make a check.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #551

MindFlayer

A272 correction to the addendum correction: You can never identify a spell from hearing a verbal component behind a door, you must actually see the spellcaster as he casts the spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellcraft skill
    Identifying a spell as it is being cast requires no action, but you must be able to clearly see the spell as it is being cast, and this incurs the same penalties as a Perception skill check due to distance, poor conditions, and other factors.
    Last edited by Slithery D; 2017-05-24 at 05:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q273: Is there any way that the damage from Constrict can be a critical, such as if it's part of a grapple caused by a grab from a natural weapon attack that was a confirmed critical hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

13. - Top - End - #553
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A273 not that I can find. Constrict is automatic and does not require its own attack roll.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

A273 Addendum. Right. Construction and co. are automatic.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Orc in the Playground

Q274 If I use Martial Flexibility (or barroom brawler) to gain Advanced Weapon Training (a Combat Feat without daily uses) to gain Item Mastery (a non-feat option without daily uses) to gain a specific Item Mastery feat (non-combat feats with daily uses), do I reset my daily uses upon gaining the Item Mastery feat or not? Martial Flexibility's text about stacking uses specifically mentions combat feats you gain, and barroom brawler does not mention daily uses at all, but I was wondering if the use-stacking text was the default assumption or if, by default, uses reset upon gaining/losing a feat.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q275: 6/1 BAB character with TWF feat: Do I have to do +4 1st main hand, +4 offhand, and -1 2nd main hand, or can I do the offhand attack at the end? I play a TWF character who was intended to use a reach weapon and light shield. Main hand attack with reach weapon, then 5ft step in for the offhand shield bash. If I can't do the shield bash at the end of the new attack string, it messes up my idea(and I'll have to TWF with a different weapon).

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ettin in the Playground

A275: Iterative attacks are always calculated in order from highest to lowest. Additional attacks like TWF or Rapid Shot are part of this order and also start from highest. So your order of attacks will me +4(m), +4(o), then -1(m).

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ettin in the Playground

A 274 Martial Flexibility does not reset daily uses for feats gained with it, even if you chain like that. Barroom Brawler is 1/day, so in theory you'd only get your Item Mastery once in a day, so it would be at full uses, anyways, so it's a moot point.

Sidenote: Brawlers don't have Weapon Training to qualify for Advanced Weapon Training, neither do Free-Style or Martial Master Fighters, so you'd either need to multiclass a Fighter that does have Weapon Training with a level of Brawler or take Barroom Brawler as such a Fighter.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #559

NecromancerGuy

+3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

A275
    "Level-dependent variables" means d6/level based stuff.
    Aka if you're CL 5 and take a negative level, your shocking grasp deals 4d6 damage instead of 5d6.
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

21. - Top - End - #561

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    A275
    "Level-dependent variables" means d6/level based stuff.
    Aka if you're CL 5 and take a negative level, your shocking grasp deals 4d6 damage instead of 5d6.
    So it's only for effects that you generate, not effects that target you?
    Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #562

NecromancerGuy

Q276: Do auras like Fiery Aura of Burning Skeletons stack? That is, if I have a creature that is surrounded by 8 Burning Skeletons, would they take 8d6 Fire Damage at the start of their turn or only 1d6?

Q277: Does an aura that specifies damaging creatures, like the Fiery Aura of Burning Skeletons, also damage objects if unspecified? Would a Burning Skeleton cause a big explosion by entering a room full of gunpowder or would they only cause an explosion if they attacked the gunpowder?

Q278: Are auras something that can be suppressed and activated by default?
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

A276: No. Each aura is handled separately. (So you´ll end up with 8 separate 1d6 fire damage rolls)

A277: By RAW, anything that can only affect creatures, will only affect creatures. (And yes, it is plausible to want to model more realistic physics, but that´ll open up Pandora´s Box)

A278: No. Auras are always on unless the specific aura has a suppression clause.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q279: I am playing a Sorcerer 12/Dragon Disciple 8. This makes my caster level and my character level not sync up by 2. At Level 19, I should be able to select the Level 19th bloodline spell, but can not yet cast 9th level spells. Do I select that spell, but only gain the ability to cast it at Level 20?
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

A279 Yes
    DD has specific text on this:
    This ability does not grant bonus spells to a sorcerer unless he possesses spell slots of an appropriate level. Such bonus spells are automatically granted if the sorcerer gains spell slots of the spell’s level.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    So it's only for effects that you generate, not effects that target you?
    A275 cont No, you would also count as one level lower for things dependent on the target's level, e.g. holy word.

Edit: I hadn't noticed that I was in the Pathfinder thread, my answer should be double checked by Pathfinder players, sorry.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2017-05-29 at 02:26 PM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A275 cont No, you would also count as one level lower for things dependent on the target's level, e.g. holy word.

Edit: I hadn't noticed that I was in the Pathfinder thread, my answer should be double checked by Pathfinder players, sorry.
    A275 His info is correct. Negative levels treat you as one level less... so a 5th level wizard with fireball and shocking grasp would deal 4d6 with both. Please note, the wizard does not lose his fireball even though he is effectively cl 4... pathfinder negative levels do not cause spell loss like they do in 3.5.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-05-29 at 02:50 PM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Q:280 Would it be possible to record a bard or skald only spell in a spellbook even though it can't normally be cast by prepared casters? There's a bardic performance that lets bards temporarily add a spell written in a spellbook to their list of spells known. So it would be actually useful to have a bard only spell in a spellbook.

29. - Top - End - #569

A 280: Yes, this is possible.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q281: Do spellbooks with divine spells exist?

Q282: Can only classes who cast like a divine wizard benefit from them?
    Avatar made by Mehangel - "Neigh?"