New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Quote Originally Posted by Segrain View Post
    A142 cont.

It can also be done with a feat or two.
    Worth pointing out that the first link is from a 3.5 supplement, i.e. pre-Pathfinder. If your GM is fine with that, great, but just calling it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #272
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q143: What effect does having a nonability for Constitution have on an undead creature like a Skeleton or Zombie's Fortitude Save modifier?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

A143
    Quoth the rulebook:
    Quote Originally Posted by Undead
    No Constitution score. Undead use their Charisma score in place of their Constitution score when calculating hit points, Fortitude saves, and any special ability that relies on Constitution(such as when calculating a breath weapon’s DC).

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q144

When creating undead with Animate dead skeletons, zombies, and Beheaded each have variants that can be explicitly created.

Is it only Beheaded which have language that allows them to be created with more than one variant applied to a single undead?
    I've seen skeletons with both exploding and bloody discussed but I cannot seem to find any explicit text for their creation.

5. - Top - End - #275

A144: Regarding creation of the variant skeletons, you missed this line:

Numerous variant skeletons exist, such as those whose bones burn with an unending fire and those who drip with gore and reassemble themselves over time. Both of these variant skeletons can be created using animate dead, but they count as twice their normal number of Hit Dice per casting. Once controlled, they count normally against the controller's limit.
    As for a list of explicitly creatable undead, I think the thread you're working on is going to be the best resource on that subject. Have you tried asking on the Paizo boards for more examples? It's a safe bet that there's at least a few folks there who have gone through every Adventure Path, Gazeteer, and other obscure source that currently exists.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #276

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A144: Regarding creation of the variant skeletons, you missed this line:

As for a list of explicitly creatable undead, I think the thread you're working on is going to be the best resource on that subject. Have you tried asking on the Paizo boards for more examples? It's a safe bet that there's at least a few folks there who have gone through every Adventure Path, Gazeteer, and other obscure source that currently exists.
    Oh I think you misunderstand, I know they can be made. But I have seen mention that they can be made to have both variants in one skeleton. Sort of a doubled variant if you will.
    So far only Beheaded seem to have text explicitly allowing for the mixing and matching of variants in this fashion.

Was asking if Skeletons could be made to have multiple variations in one undead like Beheaded can. Figure it's either a houserule or I missed something.

Edit: Also posted over at the Paizo boards as suggested. Thanks.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2017-02-07 at 10:31 AM.

7. - Top - End - #277

I don't see why not, but I would make the HD restriction stack. There's nothing explicit either way though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #278

Q145

When a spell applies a template does the template become the same type of effect that the spell is?

More directly, when Animate Dead is cast on the corpse of a Construct, a Flesh Golem for example, are the skeleton or zombie templates then considered a Necromancy effect that the Construct is immune to thereby making Animate Objects not function on that corpse?

If this is too complex for the RAW thread there is also a thread for discussion here.
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2017-02-07 at 02:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #279

A145: Constructs don't leave corpses - they are automatically destroyed at 0HP or less, just like undead themselves are. In game terms, destroyed things more or less cease to exist.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #280

A145: Constructs don't leave corpses - they are automatically destroyed at 0HP or less, just like undead themselves are. In game terms, destroyed things more or less cease to exist.
    That cannot be right, Necrocraft explicitly require undead corpses.

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    That cannot be right, Necrocraft explicitly require undead corpses.
    Depends on how you read "or their corpses" - but regardless, have you found anything similar for construct corpses?

EDIT: The closest I could find were the spells Reboot and Memory of Function - but neither of those specifically consider a dead construct to be a "corpse." (Nor even "dead" for that matter.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-02-07 at 05:20 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Q146

So i'm making a Goblin Rogue character, currently only level one. Notice though that the favoured class option for Goblin Rogues is as follows.

Quote Originally Posted by Goblin Race
    Add a +1 bonus on the rogue's sneak attack damage rolls during the surprise round or before the target has acted in combat.
    If i were going with this favoured class bonus, how would it apply? Would i just get +1 sneak attack damage and that's it? Would i get annother +1 at level 2, giving me 1d6+2 sneak attack at level two? Or would it only apply for each level that my sneak attack increases?
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-02-07 at 07:31 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283

A146

Quote Originally Posted by Racial Favored Class Benefits
    In most cases, these benefits are gained on a level-by-level basis—your character gains the specified incremental benefit each time she gains a level. Unless otherwise noted, these benefits always stack with themselves. For example, a human with paladin as a favored class may choose to gain 1 point of energy resistance each time she gains a level; choosing this benefit twice increases this resistance bonus to 2, 10 times raises it to 10, and so on.
    [...]
    This is not a permanent or irrevocable choice; just as characters could alternate between taking skill ranks and hit points when they gain levels in their favored class, these benefits provide a third option, and characters may freely alternate between them.
    Thus, a Goblin Rogue who picks racial favoured class bonus on the first level (and therefore deals +1d6+1 damage with sneak attacks when it applies) may on the second level take another instance of the same bonus for a total of +1d6+2, but may instead choose a standard option of extra hit point or extra skill rank.
    This increase is entirely separate from the standard progression of the sneak attack as class feature; Goblin Rogue at level five would have sneak attack of +3d6 as normal, and when his racial favoured class bonus applies, it would instead deal anywhere between +3d6+0 and +3d6+5, depending on how many (if any) times over the course of those levels he chose the racial bonus.
    Last edited by Segrain; 2017-02-07 at 10:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you!

my rogue is going to be so awsome
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q147. What do I need to perform basic Craft (Alchemy) item creation? Are Artisan tools (alchemy)(5gp, 5lb) sufficient? There is a lot of alchemist items in kits, but I think they are geared at characters with the Alchemist class, not Craft (alchemy) users.
    Last edited by Kriegerr; 2017-03-08 at 08:15 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286

A147 You need nothing except ranks in Craft (Alchemy). From the rules on the Alchemist's Lab:
    Without this lab, a character with the Craft (alchemy) skill is assumed to have enough tools to use the skill

17. - Top - End - #287

NecromancerGuy

Q148: Does mundane ice have a price or value listed anywhere?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ettin in the Playground

A 148 Not that I've been able to discern, outside alchemicals that make ice, like Liquid Ice or Quick Freeze Oil. Similarly, there doesn't seem to be a price for water, outside setting specific stuff, like if you're in a desert with oases that are being monetized.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

19. - Top - End - #289

Q 149 Question regarding Climb speeds. According to the PFSRD:

Quote Originally Posted by Climb Speed
    A creature with a climb speed has a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks. The creature must make a Climb check to climb any wall or slope with a DC higher than 0, but it can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened while climbing. If a creature with a climb speed chooses an accelerated climb (see above), it moves at double its climb speed (or at its land speed, whichever is slower) and makes a single Climb check at a –5 penalty. Such a creature retains its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) while climbing, and opponents get no special bonus to their attacks against it. It cannot, however, use the run action while climbing.
    Without a climb speed, you climb at 1/4 your land speed, or 1/2 with an accelerated climb. With a climb speed, it says you can use an accelerated climb to move at up to 2x your climb speed or your land speed, whichever is slower.

It says nowhere that I can find that you, by default, use your Climb Speed when climbing, as opposed to 1/4 your land speed. Am I missing something?

Bonus question: If your Climb Speed is actually higher than your Land Speed, can you Climb faster than you can move on normal ground? Does an accelerated climb actually slow you down by limiting you to your land speed?

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 150: Can Fey Caller be mixed with Synthesist? It's one of the only two Summoner archetypes I could find that did not replace or change anything Synthesist did directly, but I'm wondering if the Fey Eidolon counts as altering the Eidolon feature that Synthesist does. If so, silly fairy Synthesist with assloads of SLAs is a go.

Q 151: More confirming suspicions, but Blood Casting doesn't specify class restrictions on spells able to be cast during a Rage. Does this mean that one can make a Bloodrager/Summoner and keep full function of both(discounting Concentration spells, obviously)? If so, extra-angry half-orc Synthesist that eats their foes instead of summoning monsters is a workable setup.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 152 Can a 2nd lvl Kobold Snare Setter create (Su) Ranger Traps that last for 1 day?

As far as I can parse the text, the "learn ranger trap" feat replaces the DC calculation and duration calculation for ranger traps from the trapper archetype with (10+1/2 character level+Wis modifier) and (1 day per 2 character levels), but does not distinguish between extraordinary and supernatural traps (apart from the -2 DC for extraordinary traps, which is explicitly mentioned in the feat).

22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q153
    The Berserker weapon enhancement [MICp29] says, "a berserker weapon deals an extra 1d8 points of damage on any successful attack while you are raging" and not "on a successful hit" the way most damage-bonus enhancements do. Does this mean it would do damage while touch attacking an opponent for a trip? Consider a flail or whip with this enhancement.
    Last edited by Fitz10019; 2017-02-11 at 02:29 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293

NecromancerGuy

Q154: Do any PF sources detail what happens to a familiar whose master dies?
    Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #294

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Q154: Do any PF sources detail what happens to a familiar whose master dies?
    A154: The FAQ sidebar here says the following:

"Once dismissed, an animal familiar is just a normal animal of its type (a special familiar from the Improved Familiar feat reverts to a normal creature of its type)."

So that, at least, is the information about what happens if the bond is deliberately broken by a still-living master. That's the best I can find.

25. - Top - End - #295

Q155
    From what I can tell Create Undead and Create Greater Undead target "one corpse" and say that they require "...a dead body..." to function. Am I missing something or will just any old corpse do the trick? Are there listed or implied size, shape, or quality control limitations I am unaware of?

Q156
    Can my character choose to fail a save against a SU ability that mimics a spell?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2017-02-12 at 10:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #296

A149a: It's found as the inverse of this rule:

Land

Land speed is the normal mode of movement for creatures that do not burrow, climb, fly, or swim.
    If a creature has a climb speed therefore, they cannot use their land speed by default to climb with, because only creatures without a climb speed can do that.

A149b: Yes, by RAW it is possible to climb faster than you can move on the ground, provided you don't use "Accelerated Climb." Given the language present in accelerated climb, this may not have been intended.

A150: "Fey Eidolon" is not a modification or replacement of the eidolon ability itself, therefore this combination is allowed until they add that text via FAQ/errata. (Rather, it sets your unchained eidolon's subtype.)

A151: While the two archetypes can be combined, a Synthesist cannot take separate actions from his eidolon and therefore you can't actually use the lynchpin "Blood Feast" ability (which requires a standard action from each of you by RAW.)

A152: By RAW the feat is more specific and thus you use the longer duration. RAW is a double-edged sword though - by RAW, the feat only gives you one trap, and all other traps you learn from the class feature fall under the general Ranger Trap rules, which specify hours per level for Supernatural traps.

A153: Wrong thread

A155: As long as the corpse counts as a corpse (i.e. it's intact) it should work. Generally it won't matter though as most of the CU creatures have specific stats (e.g. wights and mummies) whether you start from a hill giant or a halfling.

A156: Though the part after the comma specifically refers to spells, the first part is a complete clause, rendering it ambiguous and thus up to a GM to have the final say. I would let players skip any saving throw they wanted personally, unless of course they were under someone or something else's control.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #297

A149a: It's found as the inverse of this rule:

If a creature has a climb speed therefore, they cannot use their land speed by default to climb with, because only creatures without a climb speed can do that.

A149b: Yes, by RAW it is possible to climb faster than you can move on the ground, provided you don't use "Accelerated Climb." Given the language present in accelerated climb, this may not have been intended.
    I would not have thought of applying the inverse to come to the conclusion. Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

A) Are there any one-handed reach weapons? Or feats that let me use a reach weapon one handed? B) Assuming there is a way, if I have an effect that cares about staying within reach, could I attack with a punch and the swap over to the reach weapon to move farther away while maintaining the effect?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Q157
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    A) Are there any one-handed reach weapons? Or feats that let me use a reach weapon one handed? B) Assuming there is a way, if I have an effect that cares about staying within reach, could I attack with a punch and the swap over to the reach weapon to move farther away while maintaining the effect?
    A157: Whips are one handed reach, but don't threaten. Lances are one handed reach while mounted. Shields brace let's you onehand a spear or polearm if you also have a sheld equiped
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Q 158: Which path of war Class and Archatype combos are designed for unarmed combat specifically? (I know Broken Blade has a lot of unarmed maneuvers but I'm looking for more like monk unarmed damage progression type stuff.).
    "I Burn!"