New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Q178
    I believe you can as you technically gain the class feature but you don't get a talent. A bit iffy, though.

Q179
    The summons get a second turn on their init -20 so if a monster had +25 init and rolled a 10 they would get there first turn at initive count 35 and their second turn at initive count 15. Summoned monster generally have there own init roll although its a common houserule for them to act on the summoners turn due to the simplicity of it, especially in post by play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    Therefore, you just need a taller statue -- or a sufficiently high pedestal for your statue, if you're a cheese-weasel -- to permanently kill any god in 2e.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quick note for the thread - while the PFSRD is under construction, you may want to use the archived version of the site for your links instead: https://sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/

A172: There isn't such an instrument, so an Actor bard would be stuck with visual bardic performances (pretty much like a Dancer bard would be.) In addition, primarily-visual performances like these two are still capable of being perceived by others' hearing - just incorporate stomps, claps and the like as appropriate for any performance that doesn't specifically require singing or an instrument. (For example, you'd be able to Inspire Competence this way, but not Countersong.)

A173: Anti-army spells tend to be things like (un)natural disasters - Storm of Vengeance, Earthquake, Curse Terrain etc. Would one of those work?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #333
    Barbarian in the Playground

A179 Correction: Summoned monsters act on your initiative.
    Quote Originally Posted by Summon Monster
    It [...] acts immediately, on your turn.
    There is, however, no issue with negative initiatives (which could also be the result of a low roll and a negative Dex modifier), so it would act again at (its [= your] initiative - 20), as per the Dual Initiative mythic universal monster rule.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    PF statblocks list is under "Language" as it is a means of communication, whereas the 3.5 statblocks do call it a special quality - but despite where the statblock puts it organizationally, it is definitely still the latter because it is a special ability. Special abilities only come in two flavors - special attacks and special qualities, and telepathy isn't an attack.

Similarly, the PF statblock has a "Senses" line where special qualities like blindsense and scent are listed, but those are still special qualities (because if they are not attacks, they must be the other by definition.) PF didn't diverge from 3.5 in that regard.
    Any chance of getting a source and page number on this so me and mine can confirm independently? Also so I can make note of it for future discussion.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A172: There isn't such an instrument, so an Actor bard would be stuck with visual bardic performances (pretty much like a Dancer bard would be.) In addition, primarily-visual performances like these two are still capable of being perceived by others' hearing - just incorporate stomps, claps and the like as appropriate for any performance that doesn't specifically require singing or an instrument. (For example, you'd be able to Inspire Competence this way, but not Countersong.)
    Given I need an instrument to cast Bard spells as per Mute, I have a follow-up:

Q 180 Would Perform do stomps, claps, finger snaps or spoons fall under? Percussion? Would they count as an musical instrument for the purposes of Mute?

Q 180b Would whistling fall under Perform(Wind) or Perform(Sing)? Is it a musical instrument for Mute?

Q 180c Are finger cymbals Percussion instruments?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

6. - Top - End - #336

Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Any chance of getting a source and page number on this so me and mine can confirm independently? Also so I can make note of it for future discussion.
    It's shown in several places as a consequence of PF's statblock design. Take for example the special ability "Fast Healing" - in 3.5, this is purely contained in the special quality section of their statblocks. In Pathfinder, it was moved to the HP line (Bestiary pg. 6, and numerous statblocks in that book) - but it is still explicitly a special quality (Bestiary 300, and for example in the Shield Guardian entry, a golem template you have likely come across in your studies.) Similarly, in various animal entries their low-light vision or energy resistance are described as special qualities, but in the statblock they are listed under Senses or Defenses respectively.

What PF did was to organize special qualities more logically, so that you could look at one standard place for that monster and see if they had certain kinds of standard ability (special senses, healing, etc.) that you'd need to be aware of, but that wouldn't get lost in a pile of other SQs unique to that monster. But that organization didn't stop any of them from being special qualities as the examples above prove.

Hope that helps - if not, we can probably take it to its own thread.

A180a-c: Sorry, my response above was specific to the bardic performance ability. For actual spellcasting, since you can't provide verbal components on your own, you'll need the Mute's ability to use a specific instrument tied to a perform skill as an alternative in order to do so. This basically means that Acting on its own would be insufficient for spellcasting, and you'd need a backup skill of some kind. Basically, Mutes need an instrument to cast their bardic spells, and performances like Dance, Acting, Comedy and Oratory would not work for Mute spellcasting on their own.

Alternatively, if you figure out a way to make your spellcasting psychic, you can bypass your verbal components with thought components instead and ignore that drawback entirely.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-02-21 at 06:39 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

Q-181

Stupid question, but just want to clarify.

Headband of Mental Prowess. Lets say i get a +2 headband granting me +2 Charisma and +2 inteligence. it says i gain mak skill ranks for a mental skill same as a headband of vast intelligence, which says it gives max ranks for one mental skill per +2 bonus.

Since i'm technichly getting two +2 bonuses from the mental prowesse, do i get two max-rank skills as a result?

Pretty sure i don't and that only applies to the intelligence bonus, but just wanted to be sure.

@V Thanks!
    Last edited by Draconi Redfir; 2017-02-22 at 09:51 PM.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

A 181 Yes, it's skill ranks of your character level in one skill per +2 Int.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #339
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A181 clarification:

You only get the skill for INT modification, not the charisma. A headband of mental prowess giving +2 int and +2 cha will only grant a single skill, while a +4 int and cha will give two skills. So no, the +2 headband will not give 2 skills.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q182
    psion 5(Telepath),Thrallherd 7. I use mind control using the once per day reduced cost.

Does this mean I can reduce the cost to 1, then augment it to using 11pp using mental intrusion for a total DC of base 19 before modifiers?

11. - Top - End - #341
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q183: What would the CR for a Massacre Wasp be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

12. - Top - End - #342

A183: The base CR is 7 and the template (whichever one you use) adds another +1. I'd probably add 1 more for the other abilities they get, for a total of 9.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

A 182 Thrallherd's Mind Control is still limited by your Manifester Level, the once/day ability doesn't allow you to double spend based off your thrallherd level. It lets you manifest at reduced cost, so if your Thrallherd manifested Mind Control at full power for your Manifester Level (11 pp), using the ability reduces it by 7, so you get an 11 pp power while only spending 4 pp.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #344
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q184
    How could one give orders to newly created Animated Objects in the vacuum of space?

Q185
    Can Fabricate be used offensively against an enemy ship (either space or seafaring) or are they attended objects?

Q186
    What are all of the sources in which the Clockwork subtype is presented?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2017-02-26 at 10:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #345

DwarfClericGuy

Q187: CRB 141 states that two handed weapons get 1-1/2 Str to damage, without caveats. When wielding a two-handed weapon in one hand, such as with Shield Brace, would you still get your strength and a half?
    Last edited by Sayt; 2017-02-27 at 11:48 PM.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

A187
    You only get 1x STR to damage, as well as power attack only netting you +2 to damage per -1 to attack.
    However, to note: With Shield Brace, you are still two-handing the weapon-You still get 1.5x STR and +3 to damage from power attack.
    The one and only Tuvarkz across all the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

17. - Top - End - #347

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tuvarkz View Post
    A187
    You only get 1x STR to damage, as well as power attack only netting you +2 to damage per -1 to attack.
    However, to note: With Shield Brace, you are still two-handing the weapon-You still get 1.5x STR and +3 to damage from power attack.
    I'm looking to see if there is a specific rules citation that contradicts the rules given on the "Light, One-handed and Two-handed melee weapons", which states that two handed weapons recieve 1-1/2 Str to damage.

Likewise, Power attack only cares about the handedness of weapons, not how many hands you're holding them in. For example a lance is still a two-handed weapon while mounted, you can just wield it one-handed without penalty (It isn't actually stated to be a one-handed, a thing making Swashbuckler's sad.)
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground

...There's contradictory faqs on the matter.
    http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9qno
    Power Attack: If I am using a two-handed weapon with one hand (such as a lance while mounted), do still I get the +50% damage for using a two-handed weapon?
    Yes.

posted May 2013
    http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9quw
    Weapons, Two-Handed in One Hand: When a feat or other special ability says to treat a weapon that is normally wielded in two hands as a one handed weapon, does it get treated as one or two handed weapon for the purposes of how to apply the Strength modifier or the Power Attack feat?
    If you're wielding it in one hand (even if it is normally a two-handed weapon), treat it as a one-handed weapon for the purpose of how much Strength to apply, the Power Attack damage bonus, and so on.

posted July 2013
    says you only get 1x. Guess the latter overrides the former due to being more recent, but the contradictory FAQ is still there.
    The one and only Tuvarkz across all the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

19. - Top - End - #349

DwarfClericGuy

Those aren't contradictory, they apply in different situations. The lance doesn't tell you to treat it as a one-hander while mounted, it says you can wield it one handed. (See quarterstaff master for contrasting language)
    Last edited by Sayt; 2017-02-28 at 03:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #350

Q188 How do alchemical splash weapons and/or Alchemist bombs interact with effects that apply on dealing damage, such as a spell delivered via (ranged) Spell Strike, or a Path of War Maneuver? Is only the main target affected by that bonus effect, or would those who take splash damage also be affected?

21. - Top - End - #351

A184: It's not actually clear how animated objects get orders normally. The spell says that they attack whoever you "designate," and the spell is used in their creation as Constructs, but beyond that, no details are given. Assuming verbal commands are required, you would need a way to deliver those without vocalizing, like telepathy; if the commands instead are mental, problem solved.

A185: I couldn't find anything explicit, but the given that the captain can boost his ship's saving throws per GMG, I would consider it attended. Similarly, per Skull & Shackles, Animate Objects cannot be used on a ship without the pilot's consent, which further suggests attendance.

A186: Given the potential scope of this one, your best bet is to start a thread on the Paizo forums so that every obscure AP and Gazette can be crowdsourced/collated.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-02-28 at 08:49 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ettin in the Playground

A 188 While splash weapons and alchemist bombs are able to fulfill being ranged attacks for Spellstrike and maneuvers, it's unclear whether those damaged by the splash would be affected like the primary target. I'm inclined towards not, since it should only be things you actually target. If you use a Scatter weapon, I feel it's slightly more likely to affect each target, since you roll attack rolls against each creature in the cone, so they are being individually targeted.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Polymorph Any Object:
    Q189: Can an enemy stronghold be polymorphed into a bird then killed?

Q190: What would happen to the people inside it?
    Q191: What would happen to the stronghold once the spell duration expired? Would it change shape into a pile of rubble?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-03-01 at 02:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #354

A188 addendum A thrown splash weapon has only one target, which is the creature suffering the direct hit. It may also have effects on creatures next to the target, but these are not targets and as such would not be targeted by any sepll or maneuver which is applied to the thrown splash weapon attack.

Bombs (but not thrown splash weapons) thrown by alchemists are special, because their splash damage is "always equal to the bomb’s minimum damage". If a maneuver therefor modifies the bomb damage, this would also affect the splash damage of the bomb.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Q192: "Way of the Wicked" Adventure path, book two. There are posion fish that live in a lake in "The Horn". What are the stats of their poison? (Effect, transfer, saves, etc.) Room C-11.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q193: Incorporeal Creatures with Damage Reduction. Suppose you hit them with a magic weapon that doesn't bypass DR. In what order are the effects applied -- (a) deduct DR first, then take 50% off the rest, or (b) reduce by 50% first, then deduct DR?

I believe it should be (a) because this best emulates the 3.5 rule it is supposed to streamline, and (b) would mean incorps are super difficult to hurt, but I'd like to make sure.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

27. - Top - End - #357

28. - Top - End - #358

A189-191: All of these depend on whether your DM considers "strongholds" to be "objects", and for him/her to determine what happens when containers are polymorphed.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Q194: Is there any archetype for the Rogue that grants an ability similar or identical to Bardic Knowledge? Slayer could work too, but I'd rather get one for Rogue if it's available.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

30. - Top - End - #360

A 194: The answer seems to be no for archetypes of Rogues and Slayers, but you can get it on any character with Variant Multiclass Bard.