New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

A13: No - the line you're thinking of that only mentions wizards is on CRB 219, however the line on CRB 221 opens it up to all arcane and divine casters. Furthermore, both Game Mastery Guide and Ultimate Campaign expanded the spell research guidelines considerably. (There's also the Sorcerer's "unusual spells through study" clause on CRB 71, but that one isn't necessary as previously noted.)

A14: The shortsword thing was likely a typo, though I haven't seen the comic in question and have no idea what sort of design process comics go through. However, I will say that I've always found it odd that a shortsword is piercing-only when a dagger is both piercing and slashing. 3.5 had this same issue and I think Paizo copied it without really thinking it through.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A14: The shortsword thing was likely a typo, though I haven't seen the comic in question and have no idea what sort of design process comics go through. However, I will say that I've always found it odd that a shortsword is piercing-only when a dagger is both piercing and slashing. 3.5 had this same issue and I think Paizo copied it without really thinking it through.
    Q14 Addendum:

Not to derail the thread, it's unlikely to be a typo since, according to statblock, Slashing Fury does apply to Red Sonja's shortsword attacks. So, more likely Eric Mona (who, apparently, designed this archetype) forgot about SS's being piercing. Thanks!
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #33

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    Q14 Addendum:

Not to derail the thread, it's unlikely to be a typo since, according to statblock, Slashing Fury does apply to Red Sonja's shortsword attacks. So, more likely Eric Mona (who, apparently, designed this archetype) forgot about SS's being piercing. Thanks!
    Bold is actually what I meant when I said "typo" It was shorthand.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Q15. I know you can't add the same ability score to a roll multiple times, but can I replace the same one multiple times? Like if I have "replace Str with Wis" for attack rolls and "replace Str with Dex" for attack rolls, do I get to add both my Dex and Wis modifiers?
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Q16
    Does Immune to critical hits mean immunity to sneak attacks as well?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

A16
    Not explicitly. There's no rule which translates immunity to one into immunity to the other. While most creatures immune to critical hits are immune to sneak attacks, some, like Aeons, are immune to one but not the other
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

A15 No. After you repaced Str with Dex, you can no longer replace it with Wis as now Dex has taken its place. You only get to choose either one (but you can switch depending on the situation, e.g. after taking Dex damage).

8. - Top - End - #38

Q17
    If a Divine Fighting Technique is acquired via it's optional prerequisite, what happens if the alignment/worship requirement for said prerequisite is no longer fulfilled?
    Normally, if you no longer fulfill the prerequisite of a feat, it becomes inactive (at which point you'll probably retrain it). However, in this case it's somewhat unclear since you replace a class feature with a specific benefit, instead of actually getting the feat - and at least in some cases, you're bypassing other feat prerequisites as well.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

A 17 If you lose access to the domain, alignment or other feature to bypass the normal requirements, it gets suppressed until you atone, just like any other such feature lost that way.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

10. - Top - End - #40
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q18: What feats are necessary to make a Golem Manual? Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Construct, or both?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Q19 does a character with Darkvision not see anything right after its range? Example: A character has Darkvision 30ft, in the darkness the square 35 ft from him, is it completely dark for him?

Q20 How does improved familiar (feat) work? Do I apply all the bonus/abilities according to the wizard level normally or is there some kind of "level adjustment"?
    Last edited by Red Bear; 2016-11-26 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo

12. - Top - End - #42
    Barbarian in the Playground

A18 Craft Construct, as listed in the construction requirements in the item entry.

A19 Yes, the vision ends exatly at the listed range, unless they have another way to see into the square (e.g. a light source).

A20 The improved familiar gets the abilities according to your wizard level, without adjustments.
    Last edited by Firest Kathon; 2016-11-26 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Typo

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 21: Can one roll for a skill check with Use Magic Device, to use a quicken metamagic rod if you haven't identified it as such yet?

Q 22.: If someone has Claw Claw Bite, Tail attacks. Can they choose to use their tail 4x times in place of claw claw bite?
    Last edited by killem2; 2016-11-27 at 09:55 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

A 22 No, you can use each natural attack once in a round normally, the exceptions being for Animal Companions and Eidolons of characters with an effective Druid or Summoner level of 9 that don't have at least 3 natural attacks to qualify for Multiattack or Haste, for example.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    A 22 No, you can use each natural attack once in a round normally, the exceptions being for Animal Companions and Eidolons of characters with an effective Druid or Summoner level of 9 that don't have at least 3 natural attacks to qualify for Multiattack or Haste, for example.
    RE Q 22 / A 22: It appears my players have a different concern. The player in question has a greatsword in which he can make two attacks with it as a full attack. He was grappled and this could not use it. Instead he chose to use his bite attack. He wanted to use it multiple times in one round much like he could use his great sword in one round.

What is allowed?
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    RE Q 22 / A 22: It appears my players have a different concern. The player in question has a greatsword in which he can make two attacks with it as a full attack. He was grappled and this could not use it. Instead he chose to use his bite attack. He wanted to use it multiple times in one round much like he could use his great sword in one round.

What is allowed?
    I'll refer you to the Natural Attacks subsection of the Attack action, which says high BAB doesn't increase your number of attacks with natural weapons like it does for manufactured weapons. It's on page 182 of the Core Rulebook as well. With the grappled status, he is correct that he can't use a two-handed weapon but the bite has the advantage where he doesn't have to draw it first to attack whoever is impeding his movements. Being grappled doesn't stop you from using all your natural attacks, since they individually don't require two hands, so he can use his bite, both claws and tail slap just fine, though he would have to drop the greatsword if he wants to use both claws.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I'll refer you to the Natural Attacks subsection of the Attack action, which says high BAB doesn't increase your number of attacks with natural weapons like it does for manufactured weapons. It's on page 182 of the Core Rulebook as well. With the grappled status, he is correct that he can't use a two-handed weapon but the bite has the advantage where he doesn't have to draw it first to attack whoever is impeding his movements. Being grappled doesn't stop you from using all your natural attacks, since they individually don't require two hands, so he can use his bite, both claws and tail slap just fine, though he would have to drop the greatsword if he wants to use both claws.
    And if he just has a single bite attack? No claws, now tail, no nothing. Just a bite? Even though with a manufactured weapon he'd get more than one attack, if he only has one bite (natural) attack, that's all he can use correct?

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    And if he just has a single bite attack? No claws, now tail, no nothing. Just a bite? Even though with a manufactured weapon he'd get more than one attack, if he only has one bite (natural) attack, that's all he can use correct?
    You get one attack per "limb" in PF; generally, the only way to get more than one bite in a full-attack is to have more than one mouth (barring Haste and the like.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

A 21: Metamagic rods are use-activated magic items that do not explicitly state they need a command word, thus no UMD check is required to activate it, even if the effects of the rod are unknown. Anyone casting a spell can use the rod to determine its effects, provided they knew they were holding some form of metamagic rod.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2016-11-28 at 02:05 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

20. - Top - End - #50

NecromancerGuy

Q23: Can metamagic be added to magic items that cast spells? If so, where are the rules or guidelines that cover that?
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

A 23 Yes. The rules may be found here, under Magic Items and Metamagic spells.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2016-11-28 at 02:25 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Q 24 Can a Bag of Holding be placed inside of a Glove of Storing? The gloves can hold any one item that is 20 pounds or less... the bag can hold a bunch of items, but counts as a single item that is 15 pounds (Bag type I) or 5 pounds (Handy Haversack).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

A 24 Yes. The gloves of storing merely shrink the bag of holding, as per normal use of the item.
    If I had one ...

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 25a The coins altered by Coin Shot become Simple Thrown Weapons. Does that mean I get Strength to damage?

Q 25b Can I select the altered coins for feats like Weapon Focus? Can I use Deadly Aim with them? Is it a Light weapon for Two Weapon Fighting purposes?

Q 25c Can I temporarily enchant the altered coins with spells like Flame Arrow or Greater Magic Weapon? Are the altered coins a valid target for a Magus' Arcane Pool?
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2016-11-29 at 06:03 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #55

A25a: As written yes, you'd get Str because thrown weapons get that.

A25b(i): You can use Weapon Focus - they are thrown weapons - but it's a bit niche as your WF would only work with coin weapons.
    A25b(ii): Deadly Aim will work as long as you're not targeting touch AC (e.g. they are outside that first ranged increment.)
    A25b(iii): They don't count as light weapons unless they say they are, at least by RAW.

A25c: Yes to all but these effects will only last until you attack once, so you could end up burning through a lot of resources trying to enchant your purse. Note also that they are only treated as ammunition for drawing them, so you'd have to buff the coins individually.

Flame Arrow is a weird case. You'd either need exactly 50 coins (i.e. 17 castings of the spell), or it wouldn't work at all because they aren't ammunition (they're just drawn that way.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2016-11-29 at 06:37 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #56

NecromancerGuy

Q26: Does preventing a creature from being able to heal naturally, such as through Bestow Curse, then cause that creature to be unable to heal ability damage without magical intervention?
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-11-30 at 06:10 AM.
    Homebrew

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

A 26 Yes, though I think there's alchemical remedies to ability damage as well, so quasi-magical intervention should still work.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Q27 Is there a way for a medium character wielding a reach weapon to have a reach grater than 10 feet (like 15 or 20) without becoming large? (and I mean a "real" reach threatening with a melee weapon so no whip or snap shot)

29. - Top - End - #59

DwarfClericGuy

A27:A few, the first too come to mind would be: the lunge feat (Offensive), the longarm spell (Offensive and Defensive), and the Combat patrol feat tree (Defensive), and the Aberrant Bloodrager gains a rage power (And can learn/cast longarm, as it happens)
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Clanhold Warden - Dwarf Racial Archetype for Dreamscarred Press' Warder
    Glorious Thunder - The God's own wrath as a Paladin's ranged option.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Orc in the Playground

Q28
    If I take 10 levels of Arcane archers that gives me 7 times " +1 level of existing class " under "spells per day". Does my caster level increase by 7 or 10 or 0 ?