New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Q320 For the school familiar archetype, my familiar learns an enchantment cantrip. The cantrip I choose is Daze. What is the save dc for the cantrip since the familiar is casting it?
    Last edited by Hamste; 2017-07-04 at 10:53 AM.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ettin in the Playground

A 320 School Cantrip uses the familiar's stats for setting the DC but the master's CL, so essentially your Will DC will be 10+familiar's Cha mod, as it's a spell-like ability.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 321: A "text beats table"-question. The Westcrown Devil PrC has "Council´s Secret" every even class level. Alternatively, you can advance a psychic spellcasting class instead, meaning a 5/10 progression. Now, the real question is, would that work with the Prestigious Spellcaster feat?

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 322: Feat interaction / Specific beats general: Overwatch Vortex works with readied actions. Cunning Intuition works with "fluid" readied actions (You do not need to declare a specific action, you just declare a "ready state"). How do those two feats interact, if they interact at all?

5. - Top - End - #665
    Spamalot in the Playground

@ Q321/322: Are either of those online yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    @ Q321/322: Are either of those online yet?
    Westcrown Devil is from Adventurer´s Guide, so apparently too new to be online, Cunning Intuition is from Ultimate Intrigue, so online, Overwatch Vortex is WMH, so online for a little while by now.

Addendum to Q321:
    "Council’s Secret: At 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter, a Westcrown devil gains a rogue talent,
    selected from those available to rogues. The Westcrown devil treats his character level as his rogue level for the purpose of determining the talents’ effects. At 6th level, whenever the Westcrown devil would select a rogue talent, he can select an advanced talent instead.
    Alternatively, the Westcrown devil can focus on occult studies instead. If he chooses this option, when he would gain a talent via this ability, his spellcasting ability in a psychic spellcasting class he has increases by 1 level instead.
    The Westcrown devil can gain a level of spellcasting in this way once, plus one additional time at 6th and 10th levels."
    Last edited by Florian; 2017-07-08 at 09:11 AM.

7. - Top - End - #667

I'm an idiot, I had searched for "Cunning Interaction" and of course nothing came up

A322: For the most part they don't interact. Overwatch Style and Vortex require a very unique kind of readied action (a full-round ready) that you can't normally take and is therefore not on Cunning Intuition's list, so you can't choose to ready a full-round action and then retroactively turn it into those two using Cunning Intuition.

However, Overwatch Tactician is different - in that one, you ready two attacks as a standard action (i.e. the regular "ready.") So you can use Cunning Intuition to ready an unspecified standard action, and then if you're in Overwatch Style and your trigger fires, you can choose that standard action to be the two attacks that OT would grant you, or you can choose something else entirely (e.g. casting a spell or activating an item.)
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #668
    Banned

Q323

Question about Air elementals and Whirlwind (Su) special attack.
    How many times can air elemental attack with Whirlwind in 1 round ? For example it is 2 round when air elemental using Whirlwind and he has full fly speed (100 feet).
    So, potentially, air elemental can moves into or through the creature’s space 20 times in 1 round and make 20 attacks in 1 round. And he can attack 20 times 1 creature in 1 round (after each successful attack just throwing creature away with free action). So...how does it works ?

9. - Top - End - #669
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Q324

A: An Arcane Archer shoots an imbued arrow with the spell "line in the sand" behind an enemy which someone is fighting. It looks like the arcane archer now threatens said creature and thus through the definition of "flanking" that creature is now considered flanked. Is it?

B: If that creature moves within his "line in the sand" at range, and that archer has snapshot (Which allows attacks of opportunity with a ranged weapon) does he get to make attacks of opportunity against an enemy who moves within his threatened range through the spell, regardless of that creature being outside melee range?
    Last edited by Nibbens; 2017-07-08 at 11:59 PM.
    Roll some dice, make some stuff up!
    Current campaign: City of Progress Campaign Journal
    This guide!

A reading of notable information in The City of Progress, here.

10. - Top - End - #670

A323: This is a known ambiguity with the whirlwind ability. Your GM will have to make a ruling, though it's worth pointing out that if your GM does go with the "repeated back-and-forth movement = multiple slams" ruling and the creature fails a reflex save to avoid the damage, it can also voluntarily fail the second right afterward to get picked up, thus avoiding further damage.

A324: This won't work because the spell says you can attempt an attack of opportunity. Nothing guarantees your attempt will succeed - and in fact, not being able to meet the requirements for an AoO (i.e. threatening with a melee weapon) your attempt will automatically fail.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 325

Can you combine Cleave* and Vital Strike?

*They changed Cleave? Really? To a useless standard action even?
    So far, I'm NOT a fan of PF's changes to feats.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ogre in the Playground

A 325 No. Vital Strike cannot be combined with Cleave. Cleave is a standard action, while Vital Strike is an attack action (which is a type of standard action). So unless you can somehow manage 2 standard actions in a turn, you can't combine the two.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

13. - Top - End - #673

And even if you could, they would be separate attacks anyway. So you could do them both in one turn (one then the other) but not on the same attack.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #674
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Q 325

Can you combine Cleave* and Vital Strike?

*They changed Cleave? Really? To a useless standard action even?
    So far, I'm NOT a fan of PF's changes to feats.
    Cleave is not a "useless standard action." Cleave was more useless in 3.5. Now, you basically can get an extra attack action as long as you hit. And Great cleave is a lesser version of whirlwind attack... giving you attacks on everyone within reach as long as you keep hitting.
    Regardless, yes you cannot combine cleave with full attack feats.
    You can use both in a turn with mythic abilities that give you extra standard actions if playing with mythic.

Q326: Can you whirlwind attack with shocking grasp?
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-07-11 at 02:33 PM.

15. - Top - End - #675

A326: Yes and no. If you're holding the charge,you can indeed make multiple attacks, but the first one that hits will discharge your SG. Furthermore, unless you are a magus, you will need to use unarmed strikes or natural attacks to deliver this charge.

What you probably want in a whirlwind instead is a multi-touch spell like Chill Touch.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #676
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilarRaven View Post
    A 325 No. Vital Strike cannot be combined with Cleave. Cleave is a standard action, while Vital Strike is an attack action (which is a type of standard action). So unless you can somehow manage 2 standard actions in a turn, you can't combine the two.
    A 325 addendum If you have Weapon Trick(Two-Handed) and meet the prereqs for Cleaving Smash, this becomes a reality.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2017-07-12 at 06:02 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #677
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q238: How does Slipstream interact with Air Walk? If Air Walk lets "the subject [...] tread on air as if walking on solid ground" and Slipstream "carries the target along the surface of water or the ground" does that allow the wave to go with you? Or does it just follow you around on the ground below?

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

A238: Basically, there is no interaction. The spell effect only really activates when a) touching solid ground or b) touching on water. Airwalk just uses to convoluted way to tell you that you fly without having an actual fly speed (or having to use the rules for the sly skill).

19. - Top - End - #679
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Q239:

Question about Spiritualist`s archetype Shadow Caller:

Spoiler: Shadow Bond
    Show
    A shadow caller’s shade remains stable while adjacent to the shadow caller, or while up to 5 feet away from the shadow caller for every 5 levels the shadow caller possesses. If the shade moves beyond this distance, it is automatically dismissed back to the Shadow Plane (preventing the shade from being summoned back for 24 hours) unless the shadow caller concentrates as per the etheric tether ability. However, if both the shadow caller and shade are in areas of total darkness, the shade can move any distance from the shadow caller. If the shade is beyond its maximum distance and enters an area of dim or brighter illumination, it immediately returns to the Shadow Plane and cannot be summoned for 24 hours.

This ability replaces etheric tether.

So if I am 1st level spiritualist then shadow wonot disappear only when it adjacent to me?

20. - Top - End - #680
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A239: Correct. It can only move 5 feet away which is adjacent.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 240: The duration of status effects overlap, not stack, correct? Like, If a level 1 cleric cast Bless and then a level 3 cleric cast Bless, you would use the duration of the 3rd level cleric's spell, right? Instead of combining the two durations?

What about the same condition but from two different sources. Say, for the sake of argument, a good aligned creature was hit by Unholy Blight and failed their Will save. They get sickened for 1d4 rounds, so lets say they're sickened for 3 rounds. But later during that same round, the same good aligned creature was hit by some other arbitrary ability that sickens them for 5 rounds. Are they sickened for 5 rounds or 8?
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2017-07-13 at 12:55 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 241: Does possessing an item that allows a character to use an ability count as being able to perform said ability for the purposes of qualifying for prerequisites and such?

Example, If Joe Schmoe the Fighter is wearing a pair o' boots that let him cast Dimension Door x/day, could he pick up the Dimensional Agility line of feats?
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2017-07-13 at 01:38 PM.
    If I had one ...

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

A241: Yes for permanent function items.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

A 240 For redundant effects, durations generally overlap, not stack. For spells, if one expires or is dispelled and the other is still in effect, it still provides its effect.

A 241 addendum Spell abilities from magic items don't qualify for meeting prereqs of feats or prestige classes. A Cape of the Monteback doesn't meet the prereq of Dimensional Agility to cast dimension door, as you are not casting it by using the magic item's ability to do so.
    If you're using, say, a Belt of Giant Strength +2 to increase your Strength from 11 to 13, after wearing it for 24 hours, you can use your new score to qualify for Power Attack.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2017-07-14 at 06:03 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

25. - Top - End - #685

A241 addendum: In 3.5 you unequivocally could qualify via magic items, and the feat/PrC would deactivate if you no longer did. (The latter was of course some degree of debate.) I'm curious if PF actually laid this out somewhere that I couldn't locate.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A241 addendum: In 3.5 you unequivocally could qualify via magic items, and the feat/PrC would deactivate if you no longer did. (The latter was of course some degree of debate.) I'm curious if PF actually laid this out somewhere that I couldn't locate.
    "A character can't use a feat if he loses a prerequisite, but he does not lose the feat itself. If, at a later time, he regains the lost prerequisite, he immediately regains full use of the feat that prerequisite enables."

"Use Activated: This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory.

Many use-activated items are objects that a character wears. Continually functioning items are practically always items that one wears. A few must simply be in the character's possession (meaning on his person). However, some items made for wearing must still be activated. Although this activation sometimes requires a command word (see above), usually it means mentally willing the activation to happen. The description of an item states whether a command word is needed in such a case."

So we get that use activated items with a permanent or continuous effect will count, like a Belt of Physical Perfection (after 24h) or a Ring of Evasion, but the aforementioned Cape of the Montebank will not, as the ability is not there unless activated.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFamilarRaven View Post
    Q 241:Example, If Joe Schmoe the Fighter is wearing a pair o' boots that let him cast Dimension Door x/day, could he pick up the Dimensional Agility line of feats?
    Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    So we get that use activated items with a permanent or continuous effect will count, like a Belt of Physical Perfection (after 24h) or a Ring of Evasion, but the aforementioned Cape of the Montebank will not, as the ability is not there unless activated.
    A 241 addendum What Florian writes here is correct in almost all cases when it comes to meeting prerequisites. However, note that the Dimensional Agility prerequisites say (my emphasis):

"Ability to use the abundant step class feature or cast dimension door."

While there are tons of items which will grant the effect of spells (Boots of Speed), or let the user complete the casting of a spell (scrolls and wands), I don't think there is even a single one which grants a non-caster the ability to actually cast a spell. So unless you can find an option which explicitly allows you to meet the prerequisite of Dimensional Agility without actually having the ability to cast the spell, Joe Schmoe the Fighter is out of luck.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    Joe Schmoe the Fighter is out of luck.
    Well, there´s this: http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Magi...'s%20Tunic

Personally, I do like using Fetchlings and http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Feat...hadow%20Walker
    This will open up the whole Dimensional Agility feat chain without the need for items or dipping.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q242:
    How many hp should a wall of flesh have? (Stone to flesh on a wall)

30. - Top - End - #690
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 243

Is there some spell or item that eliminates the armor check penalty on stealth, similar to the iron silence spell from the 3.5 Spell Compendium?

EDIT: other than buffs to the skill like the shadow armor enhancements.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2017-07-19 at 02:07 PM.