New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

If you find a GM willing to read it that way, more power to you I say.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #812
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q294
    Do I use the individual monsters CR value to award XP or the encounters CR?

3. - Top - End - #813
    Bugbear in the Playground

A 294 Per monster: "Each monster, trap, and obstacle awards a set amount of XP, as determined by its CR..."

Though note the sum of all XP gained from each individual monster/trap/whatever in an encounter should always be equal to that of the XP sum of the entire encounter (see also Ad Hoc CR Adjustments).

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 295 If a character is slowed by armor, do they take the penalty to Acrobatics for jumping for moving at a slower speed? For example, if a Human Ranger wears a Breastplate, reducing her speed to 20', does she take a -4 penalty for jumping alongside the armor check penalty?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

A 295 No, it specifies that the penalty is only for creature with a base speed of less than 30 feet. Thus, even though a human's speed while wearing breastplate is twenty, their base speed is still thirty. So they don't get a penalty. However, the penalty does stack with armor check penalty for creatures' whose base speed is less than 30.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2017-09-12 at 03:43 AM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q296

Tactician Fighter and Heritor Knight.

Skill and Heart as One (Ex): If the heritor knight has the weapon training class feature, her heritor knight levels stack with her fighter levels for the purpose of that ability.
    Let's say the build is Fighter 5/Heritor Knight 4. Do you gain Weapon Training I as if you were a Fighter 9?
    Last edited by Fenryr; 2017-09-15 at 03:44 PM.
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

7. - Top - End - #817

A926: That's correct.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ettin in the Playground

A926 dispute: Inheritor Knight's Skill and Heart as One specifies if you have the feature. A Tactician Fighter does not till 9th level, so a Tactician Fighter 5/Inheritor Knight 4 would not gain the feature. It's the same as if said Tactician Figher wore a Sash of the War Champion, they wouldn't gain Bravery, because they don't have the feature. They would advance Armor Training, as Tactician Fighter 5 has Armor Training 1, so they'd be treated as a Tactician Fighter 9 and thus have Armor Training 2.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

9. - Top - End - #819

I actually missed the archetype and just saw "Fighter"

Yeah, it won't give you the class feature if you gave it up.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #820
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q297: Does a creature who's natural attacks count as magic for the purpose of damage reduction affect incorporeal creatures?
    Specifically, can an astral construct hit a wraith? Astral construct has dr 10/magic, which means its natural weapons strike as magic for the purpose of overcoming dr.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-09-17 at 05:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #821

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Q297: Does a creature who's natural attacks count as magic for the purpose of damage reduction affect incorporeal creatures?
    Specifically, can an astral construct hit a wraith? Astral construct has dr 10/magic, which means its natural weapons strike as magic for the purpose of overcoming dr.
    Incorporeal Creatures and "Counts as Magic": Say I have an attack that counts as magical for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction, such as from the monk's ki pool (magic). Does that mean I can't harm an incorporeal creature at all, since the attack doesn't count as magical for that purpose?
    Such attacks should also be able to harm incorporeal creatures as if the attack was magic. This will be reflected in future errata.
    Here.

But I am not sure 'bout havin' DR/magic makes your natural attacks count as magic.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Here.

But I am not sure 'bout havin' DR/magic makes your natural attacks count as magic.
    That is clear raw under the rules for dr in the bestiary. Thank you for the link, will show to gm. For the record, my gm ruled it as such pending further investigation.
    So all was good.

13. - Top - End - #823

That's how it works in 3.5 due to Rules Compendium. I'm not sure if that part of the rule carried over to PF though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #824

RangerGuy

Q298

Reign of Winter Spoilers, book 5.

Spoiler: SPOILERS
    Show

For the sake fo the argument let's say you can use Dispel Magic as immediate action and you're not flat-footed.
    In reality it's PoW material.

It says "multiple targets (all targets in area)" unlike the spell, that says "Area cone-shaped burst". Could you attempt a Dispel against only the "attack" you receive? Or the maneuver from PoW to redirect all the targets?

15. - Top - End - #825

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    That's how it works in 3.5 due to Rules Compendium. I'm not sure if that part of the rule carried over to PF though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    That is clear raw under the rules for dr in the bestiary.
    Relevant RAW:

"Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. /snip/ Such creatures’ natural weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction."

Q298 Could you attempt a Dispel against only the "attack" you receive?
    A 298: This question has very little to do with to your question concerning Redirecting Flux specifically, because not only are spells and maneuvers very different abilities with different rules, but Redirecting Flux also makes no reference to dispel magic and hence has nothing to do with dispel magic. (Note also that "for the purposes of maneuvers, stances, and other abilities in Path of War and related Dreamscarred Press products, an attack is a combat action that requires an attack roll".)

But for completeness sake, suppose we were instead talking about dispel magic, you can sort of use it as an immediate action counterspell also in a game including only CRB content. In such a case, during your turn you'd have to target the opponent (creature/object/thing) you want to prevent casting with a dispel magic used as a counterspell. If your dispel magic counterspell succeeds when the targeted opponent attempts to cast a spell, the spell simply does not happen and thus have no effect on you or anyone else. This is regardless of whether the triggering spell specifically targets the caster, you, any other creature(s)/object(s) or squares.

Q298 b Or the maneuver from PoW to redirect all the targets?
    A 298 b: As written, you can indeed use Redirecting Flux against the spell, and redirect all the targets in range regardless of the specific effects being redirected. However, it appears to me that the unusual "multiple targets (all targets in area)" may very well be the result of sloppy design/editing, and actually was intended to say basically "all of area H7 besides the space occupied by the caster", especially when considering the normal target of the spell in question.

(In the future, please post questions related to PoW or other DSP content in the appropriate thread. This thread is intended only for material published by Paizo.)
    Last edited by upho; 2017-09-18 at 03:57 PM.

16. - Top - End - #826

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    Relevant RAW:

"Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. /snip/ Such creatures’ natural weapons (but not their attacks with weapons) are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction."
    Thank you, was having trouble finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 299

Are there any feats that can add spells known to a Favored Soul, in the way that some bloodline feats add spells known for Sorcerers? I'm aware of Extra Spell, but I'm looking for other options.
    Wrong thread?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by upho View Post
    (In the future, please post questions related to PoW or other DSP content in the appropriate thread. This thread is intended only for material published by Paizo.)
    I don't think anyone has had a problem fielding DSP questions here unless it's unclear on intent, in which case that is the thread to ask them directly.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #828

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    I don't think anyone has had a problem fielding DSP questions here unless it's unclear on intent, in which case that is the thread to ask them directly.
    Oh, seems I was mistaken about the posting guidelines for some reason. Thanks! And what you're saying seems very reasonable, and especially good for people like me who basically never play/GM any PF games without DSP content.

19. - Top - End - #829

I've been answering psionics questions in here since the beginning, and some pact magic as well. I'm less versed on the other stuff though.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 299 A Mauler Familiar who uses Battle Form shifts from whatever size they were to Medium. One sentence sticks out to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Familiar Folio, Mauler, Battle Form
    In battle from, the mauler's size becomes Medium and the mauler gains a +2 bonus to Strength (this stacks with the normal Strength adjustments for increasing in size).
    To determine what those size adjustments are, am I using the Size Changes table in the Bestiary?

For example, if my Mauler Owl shifts into Battle Form, does its base physical stats at 3rd level change from Str 7, Dex 17, Con 11 as a Tiny Mauler to Str 17, Dex 13, Con 13?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

21. - Top - End - #831

A299: The Bestiary table is for the GM to advance, customize or otherwise create new monsters. For all PC shapeshifting abilities/features, you're supposed to actually use "Ability Adjustments from Size Changes" in the Core Rulebook, under polymorph, per explicit dev confirmation.

This means that your Tiny Owl will end up with Str 13 (+6) rather than 17 (+10), and Dex 15 (-2) instead of Dex 13 (-4.) Its Con will remain unchanged.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

22. - Top - End - #832
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 300

When crafting a construct with an intelligence score, does it need to be crafted with the feats and skills in its stat block or can you craft it with different ones?
    Last edited by Zsaber0; 2017-09-22 at 03:57 PM.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

A 300: Not answerable using RAW. This´d mean going "Variant"....

24. - Top - End - #834

A300: You can't craft a creature that doesn't exist in the world. Any creature that does exist has whatever is in its stat block. Unless your specific creation method says otherwise, only the GM can add a customized creature to the world for you to then craft.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #835

Q301

Under PF mythic rules, if Bob is a 10th tier mythic character and is disintegrated to ash, the ash dumped into the ocean and spread for miles along currents, where does he return to life, as per the Immortal (Su) quality?
    Last edited by rigsmal; 2017-09-25 at 04:39 PM.

26. - Top - End - #836

A301: Mythic is a more "narrative" system than the base game, and so the effects of these powers should serve the plot in some way rather than being prescribed. (Even becoming Mythic in the first place requires GM involvement, after all.) If you're looking for a suggestion, I would say the spot you got disintegrated is where you actually "died," regardless of what was done with the remains afterward, but again this should be plot-driven rather than having one specific answer.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

A 301 There isn't really a RAW answer to this, though my instinct tells me that, provided Bob's body is spread so quickly in the intervening time till he respawns, he rezes in the spot he was disintegrated. It's really a GM call, though. It could be roll randomly to determine where the most of his body has gathered in the mean time.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

28. - Top - End - #838

Q302

If I cast lesser create demiplane on the astral plane, plane shift to the demiplane, then cast antimagic field, do I get dumped back onto the astral plane?

29. - Top - End - #839

A302: Not "dumped" per se but conditions of the background plane (Astral or Ethereal) will persist within your AMF bubble.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ettin in the Playground

A 302 Addendum: Complicated. What you describe basically doesn't work, as apparently you can´t disrupt a demiplane from the inside, it being not targetable. Casting an AMF would more or less accomplish nothing in this setup.