New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

A344: Metamagic does not work on SLAs. There are a handful of similar feats that work on them (e.g. Quicken Spell-Like Ability) but the regular feats won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #932
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q345

Can I read a tome of leadership while under the effect of long term care (24 hours)?

Thanks

3. - Top - End - #933

A345: I don't see why not, as long as you're conscious. If you're disabled or worse, I would say you probably can't take the (consecutive full-round) actions needed.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

Q346: If Something increases with level, but does not clarify CLASS level (i.e. Bard's performance (He can use this ability for a number of rounds per day equal to 4 + his Charisma modifier. At each level after 1st a bard can use bardic performance for 2 additional rounds per day. ), Sorccer bloodline abilities (At 5th level, these claws are considered magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming DR. ) and some spells (1d8 points of sonic damage per 2 caster levels (maximum 5d8) ) is it safe to assume they mean character level, thus would increase even if the character took a level in a different class? (probably not the case for thgat last one since it said caster level. just making sure.)
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #935

A346: The general rule for class features is that they depend on your levels in that specific class. CRB pg. 31:

Note that there are a number of effects and prerequisites that rely on a character’s level or Hit Dice. Such effects are always based on the total number of levels or Hit Dice a character possesses, not just those from one class. The exception to this is class abilities, most of which are based on the total number of class levels that a character possesses of that particular class.
    Bardic Performance and Sorcerer Bloodlines are class features, so they fall under this rule.

Spells are different however - your caster level increases when you take levels in a prestige class that advances spellcasting.

If you want sorcerer bloodline abilities to scale with character level rather than sorcerer level, you have two other options - the Eldritch Heritage line of feats, which grant a sorcerer bloodline to a class that doesn't have one, or the sorcerer variant multiclass, which does something similar.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #936
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A345: I don't see why not, as long as you're conscious. If you're disabled or worse, I would say you probably can't take the (consecutive full-round) actions needed.
    Dispute A345:

Rest. For most creatures resting means sleeping.
    I sided with the GM on this one (Griffin is at my table). Unless it's something meant to be not taken too literal?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

7. - Top - End - #937

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Dispute A345:

I sided with the GM on this one (Griffin is at my table). Unless it's something meant to be not taken too literal?
    Be careful of what you pull from the PFSRD, that page isn't actually an official PF glossary - rather it's cobbled together by the site owner from various sources, many of them 3.5. Moreover, there is no rule that you need to be sleeping to receive long-term care. If you want a site that focuses solely on first-party PF rules and content, use the official Paizo PRD or Archives of Nethys instead.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ogre in the Playground

Q347: Are there any templates or methods in Pathfinder (3pp or otherwise) that allow a constuct to have an intelligence score? Or rather, that allow a construct to gain levels in a class? Or should I just homebrew something?
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

9. - Top - End - #939

MindFlayer

A347: See the Awaken Construct spell.

10. - Top - End - #940
    Troll in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q348: I'm looking for the RAW on condition stacking, ie fatigued+fatigued = exhausted, shaken+shaken = frightened, sickened+sickened = nauseated.

11. - Top - End - #941

A348a: Fatigue-stacking is on CRB 567.
    A348b: Fear-stacking is on CRB 563.
    A348c: As far as I can tell, there is no "sicken-stacking" at all unless a specific ability says otherwise.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

12. - Top - End - #942

RangerGuy

Q349

Frightful Presence says "An opponent that succeeds on the saving throw is immune to that same creature’s frightful presence for 24 hours." But Aura: Fear does not. So you roll every round?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

13. - Top - End - #943

A349 Yes, unless specified differently in the creature entry.

14. - Top - End - #944
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q350:
    Does any of the following count as a magic weapon for the purposes of overcoming dr/ magic?
    A headband wrapped around your fist in an unarmed strike.
    A staff of fire used to strike an oponent.
    A magic lute used as an improvised weapon.
    A magic statue pushed on top of a creature.

15. - Top - End - #945

A350: None of those count; "magic weapon" has a specific definition when it comes to overcoming DR (CRB 562). It does not refer to any magic property at all being present on the object.

Damage Reduction may be overcome by special materials, magic weapons (any weapon with a +1 or higher enhancement bonus, not counting the enhancement from masterwork quality), certain types of weapons (such as slashing or bludgeoning), and weapons imbued with an alignment.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #946
    Bugbear in the Playground

A350: RAW, only items with actual magic weapon enhancements and natural attacks of creatures having DR/magic can be used to overcome DR/magic. So none of the items in your list would do so (unless they actually also had magic weapon enhancements in addition to their other magic properties). From Pathfinder RPG Bestiary:

"Some monsters are vulnerable to magic weapons. Any weapon with at least a +1 magical enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls overcomes the damage reduction of these monsters."

(Notably, not even an Amulet of Mighty Fists with several expensive magic weapon special abilities would overcome DR unless it also has at least a +1 magic weapon enhancement bonus.)

EDIT: Ouch! Stalker-ed by Psyren. /EDIT
    Last edited by upho; 2017-11-20 at 10:11 AM.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

A350 rebuttal:
    Technically, doesn't the headband have an enhancement bonus?
    Edit nvm, the bestiary wording thwarted that interpretation.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-11-20 at 10:28 AM.

18. - Top - End - #948

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    A350 rebuttal:
    Technically, doesn't the headband have an enhancement bonus?
    Edit nvm, the bestiary wording thwarted that interpretation.
    So did the CRB one, a headband is not a weapon.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #949
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

So did the CRB one, a headband is not a weapon.
    It is with the throw anything feat, and I could see a belt being used as an improvised whip. But the bestiary leaves no room for error. Question closed.

20. - Top - End - #950

"Improvised Weapons

Sometimes objects not crafted to be weapons nonetheless see use in combat."
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

21. - Top - End - #951
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Q351: What size is a Werebatkin Skinwalker who uses Bat Shape?
    Explanation: The feat links to the bat entry multiple times and bats are diminutive creatures. However, Beast Shape 2 normally only gives you creature forms from Tiny to Large. My personal interpretation is that it leads to you becoming an actual bat (so diminutive sized) with the ability score changes and limitations from Beast Shape 2 (so attribute modifiers as if you are a Tiny animal and no Blindsense as that would require Beast Shape 3), but I am wondering what others think.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ettin in the Playground

A 351 Like other feats and items that the developers didn't think as thoroughly as desired, it's unclear. The consensus I've seen on other threads about Bat Shape is you become a diminutive bat with the limitations of Beast Shape II. In a home game, I'd say use the spell that actually lets you go to diminutive (Beast Shape III) but that's neither here nor there.

It also appears to be following what Fox Shape did, which does the same thing for Kitsune and foxes but makes sense, since foxes are normally tiny. So I'm going with they probably copy-pasted, changed entries about foxes to bats and called it good.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

23. - Top - End - #953

I'll add that Bat Shape doesn't actually link to the bat entry, rather the PFSRD did that - they tend to autopopulate links in some entries which leads to the mistaken impression that the designers had a specific link in mind for a given ability. So be careful when you see links on that website.

Having said that, in this case the intent appears to have been to make you look like an actual bat, given the Disguise bonus to impersonate one. So I would go with Cieryn's suggestions - either make you a bat with BS2 limitations, or edit it slightly to be BS3. Though the latter is more powerful as it gives you the bat's blindsense, that is honestly what I would go with.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

24. - Top - End - #954
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Thank you Cieyrin and Psyren for the responses. That helps a lot.

I'll add that Bat Shape doesn't actually link to the bat entry, rather the PFSRD did that - they tend to autopopulate links in some entries which leads to the mistaken impression that the designers had a specific link in mind for a given ability. So be careful when you see links on that website.
    Also thanks for pointing that out, I had not even considered that possibility before.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Titan in the Playground

Q352: Other then Bard, Sorccer, and wizard, what Paizo classes cast Arcane spells? Got a class ability that lets me take one spell from any arcane class, and i'm looking for something bard and sorcerer don't already have, if that is possible.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #956

A352: Witch, Bloodrager and Summoner should probably be your first ports of call as they have unique (or typically divine) spells that not available on the other three. Magus has a lot of overlap with Wizard but they get some spells discounted and have a couple of uniques as well. The remainder are Arcanist (which share the sorc/wiz list) and Skald (has the bard list.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

Q353: Naming conventions and overlap, aka "claws and claws". Say a base race gives "claws" and the chosen class gives "claws" and a racial trait gives a +1 trait bonus with damage of claws, does it matter which set of claws?

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ettin in the Playground

A 353 No, claws are claws, doesn't matter the source unless the trait or other ability specifies it has to come from a specific source, like Dragon bloodline claws.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

Q 354
    Does the price modifier for Cold Iron apply to adding the Masterwork quality? For example, if I were to buy a MW Cold Iron Dagger, would it be 302 gp or 602 gp?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

30. - Top - End - #960
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Q 354
    Does the price modifier for Cold Iron apply to adding the Masterwork quality? For example, if I were to buy a MW Cold Iron Dagger, would it be 302 gp or 602 gp?
    A354: All special materials count as masterwork automatically so whatever the material says it costs to make a weapon out of it.