New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1488
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

A457a: The Mimic Object ability that Mimics possess states "assume the general shape of" and "imitate." The key is that they don't actually become the object in question. So I would say they can look like a trap, but not actually be one.

In addition, a mimic's ability allows it to assume the shape of an object - it's worth keeping in mind that many traps are actually a series of objects. For example, a trapdoor over a spike pit involves multiple parts, so it wouldn't be reasonable to have a single mimic be all of them.

A457b: As above, a mimic looks like the object but isn't one. Just like when you open a Mimic chest, the inside isn't hollow, I'd say opening a Mimic Door would result in you getting a full view of tongue and stomach (and you'd be adhering to the doorknob anyway.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q459
    Is there a spell or magic item that would allow a Mimic, an aberration, to change size and mimic larger/smaller things?
    Last edited by unseenmage; 2018-04-18 at 01:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1233

A459: Their ability specifies Medium size even if you had a bigger one, so you would need a custom Mimic or other monster that changes that. If you're the GM this shouldn't be a problem.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q460.
    Here's the description for the spell Blood Blaze:
    The target gains a 5-foot-radius aura that causes the blood of creatures in that area to ignite upon contact with air. Any creature (including the spell's target) within the aura that takes at least 5 points of piercing, slashing, or bleed damage from a single attack automatically creates a spray of burning blood. The spray strikes a creature in a randomly determined square adjacent to the injured creature. The spray deals 1d6 points of fire damage to any creature in that square, and 1 point of splash damage to all creatures within 5 feet of the spray's target, including the target of this spell. A creature can only create one spray of burning blood per round. Creatures that do not have blood (including oozes and most constructs and undead) do not create blood sprays when attacked.
    The spray "strikes a creature", but "deals damage to any creature in that (randomly determined) square". Does this mean that I randomly determine any square around the injured creature, regardless of whether or not a creature is in it? Or that I randomly determine a square among those in which at least a creature is present?
    My True Neutral Handbook, a resource for creating and playing TN characters.

Check out my extended signature and the "Gitp regulars as..." that I've been honored with!

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A459: Their ability specifies Medium size even if you had a bigger one, so you would need a custom Mimic or other monster that changes that. If you're the GM this shouldn't be a problem.
    A459 addendum:
    While not SPECIFICALLY supported, in the entry for mimic it does intimate that larger mimics DO exist some "imitating entire dungeons."

Still needs some dm trickery but merely applying the giant and/or advanced templates is an easy start to make large mimics.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ettin in the Playground

A 460 It randomly determines a square adjacent to the target of the triggering attack with a creature in it.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Ogre in the Playground

Q. 461 What is the damage dice for all sizes from large to colossal for the firearm double hackbut?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A461 Size change FAQ Link
    Medium Double Hackbut does 2d12
    2d12 counts as 4d6 for chart purposes, from there it's 2 chart-steps for every size-step
    Large > 6d6
    Huge > 8d6
    Garg > 12d6
    Colo > 16d6
    (assuming I didn't miss something somewhere)
    Last edited by grarrrg; 2018-04-19 at 09:16 PM.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q462

Why, hello!

http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Arch...Drake%20Warden

What's the HP of the Drake for a Ranger level 3? 6+6+6+Con?

As far as I am aware, they're not considered Animal Companions.

Drake companions are not animal companions and don’t count as animal companions for any purpose, including Handle Animal checks and tricks.
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...ake-companions

So they follor monster rules and get average?

hp Creatures with PC class levels receive maximum hit points for their first HD, but all other HD rolls are assumed to be average.
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rul...-entry-format/
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

10. - Top - End - #1240

A 458b Drugs are a kind of disease:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    ...addiction, a type of disease...
    Therefor all bonuses against disease (e.g. antiplague) apply.

11. - Top - End - #1241

Imp

Q 463

Ghasts have a DC 15 paralysis, disease and stench.

If a ghast gains 10 class levels, does his DC on these abilities also increase by 5, as it would if it gained more undead HD?
    Last edited by kkplx; 2018-04-20 at 12:15 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1242

Quote Originally Posted by Firest Kathon View Post
    A 458b Drugs are a kind of disease:

Therefore all bonuses against disease (e.g. antiplague) apply.
    A458b contention: I believe addiction is the disease being referenced there, not the effects of the drugs themselves. The question was asking whether those effects (which presumably includes the beneficial effects) could be cancelled early. While there doesn't appear to be a RAW method, I would consider them to be poisons.

A463: Advancing a monster by adding class levels to it appears to count as adding HD. Bestiary 297:

Next, add the class levels to the monster, making all of the necessary additions to its HD, hit points, BAB, CMB, CMD, feats, skills, spells, and class features.
    Note that for PCs playing monsters, you can't actually advance those by HD anyway, they must use class levels. So this appears to be intentional.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

13. - Top - End - #1243

A458b contention: You are correct about the addiction being the part which is a disease. However, only Q458 (which I did not answer) asked about the other effects, Q458b was about resisting the addiction, so my answer stands.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 464 How does damage reduction or energy resistance interact with Wounds and Vigor? For example, if you critically hit someone with a greatsword, inflicting 10 Vigor and 2 Wounds, and that someone has DR 5/bludgeoning, do they take 5 Vigor and 2 Wounds or 7 Vigor and 0 Wounds?

Q 465 If you attack someone with a negative energy effect when Wounds and Vigor are in play and you critically hit while doing Wound damage, do you just increase the Wound damage dealt? For example, if an evil cleric critically hits with an Inflict Critical Wounds, does she deal 6 Wounds instead of 4 normally?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Ogre in the Playground

A 464: The creature would take 5 vigor damage and accrue 2 wound damage. Damage done to vigor always comes before applying the extra wound damage.

A 465: Yes. In this system, for critical hits, you deal the damage you would normally deal, and then apply the extra damage from a the critical hit.
    Last edited by TheFamilarRaven; 2018-04-23 at 06:00 PM.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

16. - Top - End - #1246

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fenryr View Post
    Q462

Why, hello!

http://www.archivesofnethys.com/Arch...Drake%20Warden

What's the HP of the Drake for a Ranger level 3? 6+6+6+Con?

As far as I am aware, they're not considered Animal Companions.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core...ake-companions

So they follor monster rules and get average?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rul...-entry-format/
    No? No one?

17. - Top - End - #1247

No? No one?
    A462: The Drake companion rules are in your link. At Ranger 3 you don't get a drake at all. At Ranger 4 the drake would have 1HD, i.e. a total of 12 HP (d12 + 11 Con [0], max HP at 1st HD).
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #1248

RangerGuy

A462: The Drake companion rules are in your link. At Ranger 3 you don't get a drake at all. At Ranger 4 the drake would have 1HD, i.e. a total of 12 HP (d12 + 11 Con [0], max HP at 1st HD).
    My bad. I meant Ranger 6, for an effective level of 3. Mind you, monsters don't get first full HD and drake companions are not animal companions. Or am I overthinking it?

19. - Top - End - #1249

My bad. I meant Ranger 6, for an effective level of 3. Mind you, monsters don't get first full HD and drake companions are not animal companions. Or am I overthinking it?
    I believe companions do but I might be mistaken. If they don't, it's d12.

Not sure what the "not animal companions" refrain is meant to mean - they tell you what your charge level is in that archetype, so you'd look it up on the table. Am I misunderstanding?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 366: Is there any official clarification on the price of four-mirror armor? I don't have access to the book it's from. The Paizo website says its 45gp, whilst the PFSRD says it's 125gp, which seems more reasonable to me.

And for the record, I am the DM, so "up to the DM" answers are not helpful. Thanks in advance.
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A366 Archives of Nethys has it at the 125gp price, and also lists two sources: Ultimate Equipment, and Ultimate Combat.
    Multiple sources might be the source of the multiple prices.
    I believe the default tie-breaker is 'most recent source'.
    [retired]

Horribly out of date guide goes here:
    Oradin Guide

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 367 Are Alchemist bombs considered weapons for the purpose of Inspire Courage and such?
    If I had one ...

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ettin in the Playground

Not sure what the "not animal companions" refrain is meant to mean - they tell you what your charge level is in that archetype, so you'd look it up on the table. Am I misunderstanding?
    It means the Drake is not considered to be an "animal companion" for anything that stacks, enhanced or is based upon the class feature "animal companion". Ie. levels of archetyped Ranger and Paladin would stack, Druid or Boon Companion would not.

24. - Top - End - #1254

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    It means the Drake is not considered to be an "animal companion" for anything that stacks, enhanced or is based upon the class feature "animal companion". Ie. levels of archetyped Ranger and Paladin would stack, Druid or Boon Companion would not.
    I know what it means, I just didn't know why he kept mentioning it in the context of figuring out the drake's HP with nothing special going on.

A367: Yes, bombs count as weapons and will benefit from this, just like alchemist's fire would. (The direct hit, not the splash, which is not a roll.)
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

25. - Top - End - #1255

RangerGuy

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

A 368 Yes. Boon Companion increases your effective Druid level to equal to your Sorcerer level (since it's capped at your character level), and the Robes push it to Sorcerer level + 4.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Q369: can a shifter get the monster feat improved natural attack, and if so can it apply to his manifested claws?

Q370: Is there a rule anywhere that states an unconcious person with shapeshift reverts to natural form? I looked and could not find anything, but someone in my group said such a rule may exist. I know you do if you DIE, but otherwise I couldn't find it.

28. - Top - End - #1258

A369: Players can take monster feats if they qualify like any other. The tag doesn't mean anything (unless your GM wants it to).

A370: I think your friend may have read that rule under slain lycanthropes and assumed it applied to all shapeshifting. Wild Shape simply lasts until it runs out or is cancelled.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ettin in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Age doesn't come alone, it seems. It's been only three years since I used to be active player of Pathfinder (incl. Society since season 0!), but still I seem to have forgotten what is the RAW answer to the following question.

Q 371
    If two classes have exactly equivalent class features, such as Ki Pool (for context: Iroran Paladin and Scaled Fist), how do their levels stack? Since in both cases, the Ki Pool is equal to ˝ class level + [ability score], I'm pretty sure that the [ability score] is applied only once, but if I have odd levels in each class, for example Paladin 5/Monk 7, what is my total effective level for the ki pool?

Do I add the levels — including their halves — together for a total of 6 ((5 + 7)/2), OR do I add only the complete levels from each class individually for a total of 5 (5/2 + 7/2)?
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-04-30 at 02:22 AM.
    Please be mindful of what you say in public; sadly not all can handle sarcasm or The Internet Credibility.
    My Homebrew:
    Base Class: Warlord | Roguish Archetype: Inquisitor | Roguish Archetype: Thug | Primal Path: Rage Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!

Ongoing game & character:
    Sajan Uttam, human Monk 6/Fist of Irori 3 (Legacy of Fire)

D&D/Pathfinder CV of sorts
    3.0 since 2002
    3.5 since 2003
    4e since 2008
    Pathfinder 1e since 2008
    5e since 2014

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Ettin in the Playground

A 371 There isn't a general rule, so they don't interact with each other to stack or anything like that normally unless they have a clause about how they do. Ninja has a specific clause about how multiple Ki pools interact, so you could apply that, but that would be a GM call.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!