New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Q115: How much does it cost to add a feat to a magic item? Does this cost increase depending on prerequisites?
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Markham View Post
    Q115: How much does it cost to add a feat to a magic item? Does this cost increase depending on prerequisites?
    Only way to do that by RAW I can think of is with Continuous items of a feat-granting spell, in which case the cost depends heavily on the spell and how the spell works. Heroics draws from the Fighter feat list, but that probably doesn't have a PF version.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

A115
    The Training special ability from Inner Sea Intrigue lets you gain a specific combat feat while holding the weapon, for +1 bonus in cost.
    The one and only Tuvarkz across all the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    And then I vanish in a burst of fire and brimstone, because this is my dream sequence, Me damn it, and in my dream sequence, I can teleport.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

We thought it must be possible because of the Alertness ioun stone.
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q116: Is there any way to get a Tattoo Familiar as a Witch, other than by taking a single-level dip of the Tattooed Sorcerer class?

Q117: Can a Tattoed Sorcerer take the Sage bloodline? I'm not sure if the changes to Arcane Bond conflict, or if one overrides the other.
    Last edited by ellindsey; 2017-01-27 at 03:04 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Spamalot in the Playground

A116: The Tattooed Mystic prestige class will do the trick, along with Favored Prestige Class to remove the dead level so that you don't lose any caster progression. It won't progress your hexes though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A116: The Tattooed Mystic prestige class will do the trick, along with Favored Prestige Class to remove the dead level so that you don't lose any caster progression. It won't progress your hexes though.
    I considered that, but it's a painful pile of feat taxes. Spell Focus + Magic Tattoo to qualify for the class, then Favored Prestige Class + Prestigious Spellcaster to get rid of the dead levels. I think I'd actually be better off with the Tattoed Sorcerer dip, especially if I can take the Sage bloodline.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q118
    PC is aquatic humanoid. They plan to grab sailors and dive overboard and drown them while grappling.

Do grappling creatures sink while grappling underwater? On the surface of water?

9. - Top - End - #219

RangerGuy

Q119

Does a double weapon counts as "wielding two weapons" for class abilities? (In this particular case Inner Sphear Stance or Two-Weapon Tricks from Weapon Trick)
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

A 117 By RAW, no, since they both replace the 1st level bloodline power. However, it's fairly common practice, even in the FAQ about Wildblooded Sorcerers, that Wildblood doesn't disallow combinations, since it's essentially its own bloodline. Your mileage may vary.

A 119 The double weapon special ability specifically says you can use it as if fighting with two weapons, so double weapons work for any instance of needing to use 2 weapons.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

Q120 Does a LN cleric of abadar that channels negative energy begin channeling positive energy if they become good?
    Last edited by Zhentarim; 2017-01-29 at 12:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    Q120 Does a LN cleric of abadar that channels negative energy begin channeling positive energy if they become good?
    Yes. Same goes for Neutral clerics channeling positive energy that become evil.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Q121 When selecting bonus tricks for a druid's animal companion, can I select attack?

Q122 Is a druid's horse companion considered combat trained?

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

A 121 Yes

A 122 Not till 4th level
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2017-01-29 at 11:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Q123 Do the Holy and Axiomatic weapon qualities stack? (I'm fighting demons)

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwanch View Post
    Q123 Do the Holy and Axiomatic weapon qualities stack? (I'm fighting demons)
    Yes, they stack as they are not non-stacking bonus types. The bonus damage is untyped as far as I know, and bonus damage typically stacks anyway, and the enhancement bonus increase explicitly stacks with the base weapon. They also stack for the negative levels, so it can be used for accelerated XP gain from ECL lowering, provided you are opposite alignment from both enhancements.

17. - Top - End - #227

Q124
    Do ethereal creatures slain on the ethereal plane leave a corpse on the ethereal plane?

18. - Top - End - #228

A124 No, as long as they are actually on the ethereal plane (e.g. via Plane Shift). A creature which is only temporarily ethereal (e.g. through an Ethereal Jaunt spell) will reappear on the material plane as soon as the spell expires.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    They also stack for the negative levels, so it can be used for accelerated XP gain from ECL lowering, provided you are opposite alignment from both enhancements.
    Q 125 Where does it say that permanent negative levels change your effective level for the amount of experience needed to level up?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Q 125 Where does it say that permanent negative levels change your effective level for the amount of experience needed to level up?
    It probably does nothing to the XP needed to level up, it's that in 3.5 it increases your XP gain by making your ECL below the CR of the enemies, but keeps you able to drop the item to get back to CR appropriate level. Once you drop the item, you go back to your previous level, but you keep gained XP without changes.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    It probably does nothing to the XP needed to level up, it's that in 3.5 it increases your XP gain by making your ECL below the CR of the enemies, but keeps you able to drop the item to get back to CR appropriate level. Once you drop the item, you go back to your previous level, but you keep gained XP without changes.
    That's not how negative levels work. Temporary negative levels, such as those by holding an item, do not reduce your ECL, they merely give penalties. Once the negative level becomes permanent it turns into level drain, which does reduce your ECL. Level drain cannot be reverse.

edit: This is also the RAW for Pathfinder, not 3.5.

edit2: Not sure what stuff is right for PF so I'm just X'ing it all out.
    Last edited by zergling.exe; 2017-01-30 at 11:45 AM.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 SRDs

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    I'm honestly surprised at how often I spawn new sig's. Am I really that quotable?
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaMyconid View Post
    What do you mean it's not that great?

It lets you reload your greatsword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Neutral Evil is Evil untainted by concern over Law or Chaos. It is Evil in its purest form, much like NG is Good in its purest form, LN is Law in its purest form, and CN is murderhoboing in its purest form.

22. - Top - End - #232

Negative levels in PF do not change your true level, only your ECL for level-dependent calculations (e.g. caster level.)

For example, if you are 18th level and eat 9 permanent negative levels, you will have a caster level of 9. However, you will still be treated as an 18th-level character in terms of the XP you need to level.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #233
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I want to be sure I handled this correctly.

I ran a tower where every inch of the tower was covered in permanent illusions. The thing was, most of the illusions depicted what was actually there. This held true of walls, doors, doorways...

This served 2 functions:
    1 it made detect magic virtually useless and 2 it allowed the caster to hide passages and other spells behind the illusions.

So when the party rogue and barbarian went through a door and announced everything was clear, the party mage walked through after... and immediately noticed all his active spells were gone.

Then the real trap was triggered: dropping the entire room into a series of prismatic spheres by the sorcerer (who was scrying from the room above and had placed the scrying sensor behind an illusion) casting disintegrate on the pillar holding the room up.

This resulted in 3 of the 4 members being instantly annihilated... the 4th was then picked off and killed easily.

My questions are:

Q126 Was I correct in there not being saves against the illusions when the illusions depict exactly what is already there?

Q127: I gave the rogue and barbarian perception checks to notice something was... off. But, because neither had spellcraft or knowledge Arcana, I ruled they noticed something felt odd but they couldn't quite explain it (the door was covered with an invisible wall that dispelled magic as it passed through.)

They notified the wizard before he stepped through too that something seemed odd but everything seemed otherwise ok.
    Q127:Is there a Raw for noticing your magic equipment has ceased functioning aside from actively trying to use?

Q128: Is there any feasible way they should have gotten a save from the entire room falling?

24. - Top - End - #234

Q129
    Is therea shark man race for PF?

25. - Top - End - #235

A126-128 clarification: "Illusions" is rather vague. Do you mean Silent Images, Major Images Veils, Mirage Arcana, or something else? Were they figments or glamers? What specific illusions were they?

As a sidenote - TPKing your party in this way doesn't sound like it would be a lot of fun. "GG, now reroll, lol."

A129: Seascarred Skinwalkers are a shifter-like offshoot of Weresharks, but are LA 0 with 0 RHD.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-01-31 at 10:41 AM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

26. - Top - End - #236
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    A126-128 clarification: "Illusions" is rather vague. Do you mean Silent Images, Major Images Veils, Mirage Arcana, or something else? Were they figments or glamers? What specific illusions were they?

As a sidenote - TPKing your party in this way doesn't sound like it would be a lot of fun. "GG, now reroll, lol."

A129: Seascarred Skinwalkers are a shifter-like offshoot of Weresharks, but are LA 0 with 0 RHD.
    Permanent image was cast many many times.

They were 20th level/mythic 10. Death wasn't permanent, though they did happen to lose all their gear.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2017-01-31 at 12:00 PM.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Q130: Does being blocked by multiple people block line of sight? Say there are 4 people in a 5-foot hallway, and the furthest back can teleport to anywhere in close distance that he has line of sight to. Can he teleport to the front of the line?
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q131: Are there rules anywhere explicitly stating that a nonlethal encounter gives XP or not, or if it gives lesser XP than a fight that's explicitly lethal? Or implying it, in any of those cases?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

29. - Top - End - #239

A126a: Depends on the actions they took. Ultimate Intrigue has some detail around this, which I'll quote in its entirety.

Disbelief and Interaction: All three of the subschools above tend to have saving throw lines that say “Will disbelief,” but they differ in how those saving throws apply. Phantasms directly assail a creature’s mind, so the creature automatically and immediately receives a saving throw to disbelieve a phantasm. Figments and glamers, however, have the more difficult-to-adjudicate rule that creatures receive a saving throw to disbelieve only if they “interact” with the illusion.

But what does it mean to interact with an illusion? It can’t just mean looking at the illusion, as otherwise there would be no need to make the distinction, but drawing the line can be a bit tricky. Fortunately, the rules can help to define that difference. A creature that spends a move action to carefully study an illusion receives a Will saving throw to disbelieve that illusion, so that is a good benchmark from which to work.

Using that as a basis, interacting generally means spending a move action, standard action, or greater on a character’s part. For example, if there were a major image of an ogre, a character who tried to attack the ogre would receive a saving throw to disbelieve, as would a character who spent 1 minute attempting a Diplomacy check on the ogre. A character who just traded witty banter with the ogre as a free action would not, nor would a character who simply cast spells on herself or her allies and never directly confronted the illusory ogre. For a glamer, interacting generally works the same as for a figment, except that the interaction must be limited to something the glamer affects. For instance, grabbing a creature’s ear would be an interaction for a human using disguise self to appear as an elf, but not for someone using a glamer to change his hair color. Similarly, visually studying someone would not grant a save against a glamer that purely changed her voice.
    If they asked for the perception check, they are actively perceiving (move action) and thus get a will save, which you should roll for them so they don't realize OOC that something is up. But if they didn't actively perceive and you simply gave them a reactive one, they haven't interacted.

A126b: Same as above, this depends on whether they interacted (and got a save), or didn't, and didn't.

A127: If he has detect magic up, he should notice the instant the dispel disjunction trap fires. (Presumably that effect is abjuration rather than illusion.) His gear should get will saves as well.

A128: Using a spell like Create Pit as a guideline, they should probably get a Reflex to grab a ledge/hinge if they're no more than 10ft. away from an edge.

A129 already answered.

A130: Teleportation doesn't require line of sight so even if that was completely blocked (which it's not - at best that square would have some percentage of cover) you could still attempt to land there. Most effects even let you just specify a direction and distance without seeing where you're going clearly or at all.

A131: You get XP for overcoming an encounter whether you use lethal force or not. If nonlethal accomplishes the objective (e.g. get past the palace guards) then full XP should be awarded.

Also, think about this logically - if you penalize your players for using nonlethal tactics, what kind of behavior would that encourage?
    Last edited by Psyren; 2017-02-01 at 05:00 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Q132

The Elf alternate racial trait Envoy say:

[...]Elves with this racial trait and an Intelligence score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like abilities once per day: comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, and read magic. [...]
    Does this mean that:

Once per day, i cast one of those spell.

or

I can cast each of those spell once per day.

Thank you
    Last edited by Miry; 2017-02-02 at 03:56 PM.