New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #5: Chronicles of Duty: Modern Darkness

Do old werewolves not regenerate limbs?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Not sure if it makes a difference, but he lost his leg(s) prior to his First Change.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    Not sure if it makes a difference, but he lost his leg(s) prior to his First Change.
    Cut up the flesh and bone around the stump and it should start healing.
    Although a whole leg would take something like a week-month(can't remember) to regenerate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I know.... I'm saying any splat can do crossover and discussed how little crossover content there actually is in Beast.
    You asked about what they are supposed to do, not about what they are good at.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonai View Post
    You asked about what they are supposed to do, not about what they are good at.
    True, though sort of proves my point about them having nothing to do.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Old World Werewolf question...

What would happen to a werewolf's hybrid or wolf form if the human is missing a leg (or two)? I am working on a new PC who is an Army vet and lost a leg (or two) to an IED. In human form, he has prosthetic legs that don't really affect his mobility. But those would not be usable in his other forms, and I am not sure how to handle that. He's a combat character, so not being able to run (or stand) would cause problems.
    I realize you asked about oWoD, but the fact that I started in nWod did lead to the concept of Dedicated Prosthetics.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

Old World Werewolf question...

What would happen to a werewolf's hybrid or wolf form if the human is missing a leg (or two)? I am working on a new PC who is an Army vet and lost a leg (or two) to an IED. In human form, he has prosthetic legs that don't really affect his mobility. But those would not be usable in his other forms, and I am not sure how to handle that. He's a combat character, so not being able to run (or stand) would cause problems.
    New Story arc. Kidnap a mage and force them to fix your legs.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    As long as they aren't marked by a battle scar when receiving them, they can grow them back.

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    New Story arc. Kidnap a mage and force them to fix your legs.
    Crossover is crap. Turn the prosthetics into a fetish or go on an Umbra quest or the like to find better healing than Mother's Touch. Never involve the caern-robbing willworkers, they'll either double cross you or try to help you too much, which will cause a nasty event to envelop said willworker and take you down with them.

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by SaurOps View Post

Crossover is crap.
    In your opinion maybe. I am having a great time in my groups W20/M20/V20 crossover game.
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

So my oWoD werewolf is not going to work in the game. (After talking to the ST, werewolves in his world are just shock troops in the war against the Wyrm.) However, any other kind of shifter is allowed. (And I mean any. One PC is a deer shifter.)

I've decided to play a raptor shifter. (I'm still deciding which bird exactly.) However, I can't find information on how Flight works. The book I'm using (Werewolf 20th Anniversary edition) says Corax (the only bird shifter listed) have Gifts "focused on flight," and "[t]hey cannot take the Flight Ability (see below) at character creation, except by spending freebie points." Except there is nothing below about flight. The only powers (of any system) related to Flight that I can find are the Gargoyle Discipline (which requires several levels to be able to more than glide or tumble through the air in a controlled manner) and high-level Gifts (which require Rank a starting shifter won't have).

I'm not interested in being able to fly in human or hybrid form. But my animal form is a bird, so should be able to fly to some extent. Where would I find rules on flight, so I can figure out what has to go on my character sheet?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not interested in being able to fly in human or hybrid form. But my animal form is a bird, so should be able to fly to some extent. Where would I find rules on flight, so I can figure out what has to go on my character sheet?
    Dunno if there are any official rules for this, but my ST mostly uses Athletics as a substitute for any flying skill (Protean 4 bird form, Gargoyle Flight, Corax fliers, seen'em all), and Dexterity or Stamina depending on whether fine control or endurance are required. Check with your ST, maybe s/he'll agree to this.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've decided to play a raptor shifter. (I'm still deciding which bird exactly.)
    You know what you must do.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonai View Post
    I am not sure how my ST would react to that. Especially since my PC lives in an urban area. I think that... THING... would stick out a bit. (I'm also not sure how to justify it, since it's been extinct about 400 years...)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

(I'm also not sure how to justify it, since it's been extinct about 400 years...)
    ...Maybe your ancestors were from New Zealand?
    And you are a throwback/atavism?
    Last edited by Sydonai; 2016-12-12 at 09:01 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

So my oWoD werewolf is not going to work in the game. (After talking to the ST, werewolves in his world are just shock troops in the war against the Wyrm.) However, any other kind of shifter is allowed. (And I mean any. One PC is a deer shifter.)

I've decided to play a raptor shifter. (I'm still deciding which bird exactly.) However, I can't find information on how Flight works. The book I'm using (Werewolf 20th Anniversary edition) says Corax (the only bird shifter listed) have Gifts "focused on flight," and "[t]hey cannot take the Flight Ability (see below) at character creation, except by spending freebie points." Except there is nothing below about flight. The only powers (of any system) related to Flight that I can find are the Gargoyle Discipline (which requires several levels to be able to more than glide or tumble through the air in a controlled manner) and high-level Gifts (which require Rank a starting shifter won't have).

Page 269 covers the movement rates of the various forms for werewolves. Your ST can use that for a baseline to figure out how fast you can fly, or you can search for the book that had Corax in one of the older editions and use those rules.

The wording itself implies that, for homids, flight is only possible in Corvid form unless you use gifts or spend an unlisted amount of freebie points. Otherwise you can play one born as Corvid and just work on figuring out speed.
    Most of my posts are made on my mobile device. Please excuse any errors from auto correct.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(Is this the right place?)

I am looking on Amazon to pick up WoD books for playing Vampires, monster hunter, and am wondering which ones fit. Which version of Vampire the Masquerade, Requiem do I look for, and what exactly do the covers look like? Am also interested in the Corebook.

I found these. Are they the right ones? or do I need to look for different?:
    Hunter

V:tM

nWoD

V:tR
    Last edited by russdm; 2016-12-16 at 08:20 PM.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post

I am looking on Amazon to pick up WoD books for playing Vampires, monster hunter, and am wondering which ones fit. Which version of Vampire the Masquerade, Requiem do I look for, and what exactly do the covers look like? Am also interested in the Corebook.

Hunter

nWoD

I can tell you that that is the first edition of Vampire the Requiem. Most people I've talked to have nothing but praise for the second edition. Also, the second edition looks the same except that it says Second Edition under Requiem.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

17. - Top - End - #47

Hunter

nWoD

Vampire the Masquerade is a seperate game to Vampire: The Requiem and Hunter: The Vigil, so you'll have to choose if you would rather World of Darkness or Chronicles of Darkness (previously called New World of Darkness). If you do end up wanting nWoD/CofD, you should probably get Chronicles of Darkness from drivethroughRPG rather than amazon, as Chronicles of Darkness is the current core rulebook for nWoD. Also as Random says, the V:tR on Amazon is first edition rather than the generally preferred second edition.

Note: Hunter the Vigil hasn't been fully updated to second edition yet, but there is a book called Mortal Remains which updates it if you feel it's necessary (though most of Hunter the Vigil should still work since the edition change didn't alter too much).
    Show

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Hello again. Not that anyone really cares but I have been reading Bloodlines: the Chosen. Fairly good in my opinion. Halfway through the Taifa who seem like they would be pretty interesting in a game. It would be interesting if they had some interaction with the (Raksha?) bloodline because of possible overlap in territory and the slight similarity of their theme. If I ever do run the Vampire game I wanted to run I might have the Prince be of the Taifa. Especially because I already kind of wanted it to be set in Spain, even though I am not intimately familiar with the country.

The Sangiovonni made me think of something that came up in VtR second edition development. How they wanted disciplines to seem more like they were refinements of technique and not just thematically linked powers. Because the Sangiovonni supposedly practice sorcery, but at least to me the discipline doesn't feel sorcerous. It might have worked better if the second and third levels were switched and the ectoplasm was made more flexible.

Leafed through Requiem for Rome a while ago. Looks neat, though I found it weird that the Gangrel existed and that the Julii had excact same disciplines as the Ventrue. Also I wish the Circle group had been less hedonism more conspiratorial mystery cult with the Lancea Sanctum being the wild cultists. Didn't read thngs closely, so I might be getting everything wrong.

19. - Top - End - #49

Hunter

nWoD

Another vote for checking out DrivethruRPG. If you want to play the older games the 20th anniversary editions are really nice, and can be found there. If you're going for Chronicles of Darkness you can get the 2nd edition games there as well.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I usually get gift cards for Amazon. Would I then have to buy something else that I could use at drivethrurpg?

(Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

21. - Top - End - #51

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Hello again. Not that anyone really cares but I have been reading Bloodlines: the Chosen. Fairly good in my opinion. Halfway through the Taifa who seem like they would be pretty interesting in a game. It would be interesting if they had some interaction with the (Raksha?) bloodline because of possible overlap in territory and the slight similarity of their theme. If I ever do run the Vampire game I wanted to run I might have the Prince be of the Taifa. Especially because I already kind of wanted it to be set in Spain, even though I am not intimately familiar with the country.

The Sangiovonni made me think of something that came up in VtR second edition development. How they wanted disciplines to seem more like they were refinements of technique and not just thematically linked powers. Because the Sangiovonni supposedly practice sorcery, but at least to me the discipline doesn't feel sorcerous. It might have worked better if the second and third levels were switched and the ectoplasm was made more flexible.

Leafed through Requiem for Rome a while ago. Looks neat, though I found it weird that the Gangrel existed and that the Julii had excact same disciplines as the Ventrue. Also I wish the Circle group had been less hedonism more conspiratorial mystery cult with the Lancea Sanctum being the wild cultists. Didn't read thngs closely, so I might be getting everything wrong.
    The Rakshasa? They're from India. It's very hard to get further from Spain than India is.

The San Giovanni are pretty much copies of a Masquerade clan, the Giovanni, who were sorcery wielding necromancers in a tight knit family, who only embraced from within the family. Or if not copies, a callback to.

As for Rome, it makes sense in the context. The assumption is that roman paganism is the default faith and power structure, with mystery cults within it. But the basic theme is "fall of the hedonistic old ways". They're not the circle, they're pagan sorcerers. The Sanctum are the mystery cult because that's what Christianity was for much of the period covered by Rome. The Gangrel, Ventrue, and Julii all have a tangled history that you can hash out. Going by Rome though, it's clear that the Gangrel are not the "offspring" as it were of the Ventrue. Read Fall of the Camarilla (unless you think you might be a player in that game) for more Rome info.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually the Taifa were founded in Spain but a lot of them were driven out of the region during the formation of Spain so they ended up in a lot of north African and Arabian cities. India as far as I know eventually became the edge of the world the Taifa settled in.

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Grytorm View Post
    Actually the Taifa were founded in Spain but a lot of them were driven out of the region during the formation of Spain so they ended up in a lot of north African and Arabian cities. India as far as I know eventually became the edge of the world the Taifa settled in.
    Ah, it's been a while since I read any Bloodlines, my mistake.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Ah, it's been a while since I read any Bloodlines, my mistake.
    Yeah. Really though they wouldn't have that much in common. The two groups both feel like they would show up as exotic outsiders more often than not. Other bloodlines can play the role but those two are the only ones who have felt like it is a distinguishing feature. But that wouldn't lend itself to interaction between the two groups.

Also I had an idea for a houserule which would really change the society of Vampire the Requiem. What if Embracing a new vampire cost Blood Potency instead of Willpower. This would lend a lot of significance to the 2nd tradition. Elder vampires would be tempted to embrace in order to avoid torpor. Neonates would accumulate over time risking the Masquerade. And the potential hypocrisy which would arise if the Prince and his inner circle regularly break the traditions.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

If I received a gift card for amazon, who would I be able to use that to make purchases at drivethroughrpg? Would I need to purchase something else then use that something else to buy from drivetrhroughrpg?

26. - Top - End - #56

If I received a gift card for amazon, who would I be able to use that to make purchases at drivethroughrpg? Would I need to purchase something else then use that something else to buy from drivetrhroughrpg?
    You probably cannot use an amazon gift card for drivethroughrpg. DrivethroughRPG generally just takes things like visa directly rather than needing to buy a thing to buy stuff from them.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So I will need to buy a Visa gift card if I get a gift card that works only one place?

Why isn't the newest White wolf stuff up on Amazon yet?

Edit: Would using the Fluff from the new system better? Or is using the Fluff from V:tM better, but using V:tR game system? Or is it better to just pick a system of the two?
    Last edited by russdm; 2016-12-23 at 07:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

So I will need to buy a Visa gift card if I get a gift card that works only one place?
    If you get a gift card that only works at one place, it only works in that one place.

Why isn't the newest White wolf stuff up on Amazon yet?
    Apparently it's simply too expensive for Onyx Path to do so. So they partnered with OneBookShelf (who own DrivethroughRPG and RPG Now) who do pdf sales and print-on demand in manner that is more economically viable for the company.

Edit: Would using the Fluff from the new system better? Or is using the Fluff from V:tM better, but using V:tR game system? Or is it better to just pick a system of the two?
    I have no idea on that as I've never read any V:tM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59

In my mind, definite VtR, because otherwise the Christians are objectively Right, the middle eastern clan are fanatic assassins, and you have a travelling clan of gypsy theives. If I'm gonna have racist tropes in my games I'd prefer them subverted, not played straight, and without even realizing that this is an issue.

- Albert Camus

What. Is. This. Madness.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    In my mind, definite VtR, because otherwise the Christians are objectively Right, the middle eastern clan are fanatic assassins, and you have a travelling clan of gypsy theives. If I'm gonna have racist tropes in my games I'd prefer them subverted, not played straight, and without even realizing that this is an issue.
    Except all of this basically went out the window by Revised or so, and is definitely not really true in V20. True Faith works for several religions, gypsy Ravnos are the minority of the clan, their vices as diverse as Malk insanity or even more, and Assamites, while predisposed towards assassination due to their clan disciplines (aggravated damage, many actions and stealth? only City Gangrel have it better, with less blood expenditure), aren't that fanatical, and, in fact, are rather fractured with some following the Camarilla, some going to the Sabbat, and the others still saying "k then, Ur-Shulgi it is.". There are stereotypes in the setting - but those are internal, not external.
    Elezen Dark Knight avatar by Linklele
    Favourite classes: Beguiler, Scout, Warblade, 3.5 Warlock, Harbinger (PF:PoW).