New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: New player help

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default New player help

Hello, I am a long time gamer but never have played 4e before. The Pathfinder game I normally play is on the rocks so going to try it out.

I am trying to have the bulk of my character creation work done when i arrive to play as to not slow anyone down.

I am having a small issue with the power progression chart and the paragon path powers (character will be level 19). So my power chart is 2/4/3/5. At level 11, 12, and 16 I gain a paragon path power.

My question is do I gain these powers in addition to the ones shown on my chart or are they already included in the 3/4/3/5? If they are included in those totals do I have to take paragon powers or can I take one off my standard list? If I must chose a paragon power am I allowed to switch it at the power switch levels (13, 15, 17, 19)?

Cheers

Also is there a standard for determining character wealth starting above first level?

Thanks again!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: New player help

Presuming that you are playing with a "normal" character (i.e. not one of the Psionic Power-Point classes and not one of the Essentials classes that lacks a choice for most power):

From your class, you have 3 Encounter powers (levels 1, 3, 7, and then you can replace one of those at 13 and one at 17).
    You have 4 Utility powers (levels 2, 6, 10, and 16)
    You have 3 Daily powers (1, 5, 9, and you can replace one at 15).

From your Paragon Path, you have 2 powers at the moment: an Encounter (level 11) and a Utility at level 12. 16 would be really unusual to gain a power for a paragon path- usually it's a feature. Are you sure you aren't just thinking of your level 16 class utility? You'll also get a Daily at 20.

At any rate, your Paragon Path powers are fixed in stone- you can't swap them out. The one exception to that is using the feat Reserve
    Maneuver, which lets you swap out your level 11 Encounter Power for a lower level one from your class. The utility cannot be swapped out, nor the daily once you get it.

You probably also have another power or two- races often have one that they provide, some feats do, leaders have healing utilities, etc. None of those count towards your usual limits.

Check with your DM, but the usual wealth determination is 3 items (level +1, level, and level -1) and gold equivalent to an item of level -1.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Everything I'm looking at is just from PHB. Your right about the level 16, its paragon path feature.

Thanks a bunch!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Power Chart:
    Code:
            Utility  Encounter     Daily
      1                  1           1
      2        2                      
      3                 1/3           
      5                             1/5
      6       2/6
      7                1/3/7
      9                            1/5/9
      10     2/6/10
      11               1/3/7/P
      12    2/6/10/P
      13               3/7/13/P
      15                           5/9/15
      16  2/6/10/16/P
      17              7/13/17/P
      19                          9/15/19
      20                         9/15/19/P
      22 2/6/10/16/22/P
      23              13/17/23/P
      25                         15/19/25/P
      26 2/6/10/16/22/P/E
      27              17/23/27/P
      29                         19/25/29/P
    The actual rules are a slight bit more complicated, in that you can have power mixes of lower level than the above.

In general, at each marked level, you can have powers of that level *or lower*. P or E powers cannot in general be swapped for class powers, or each other, however.

Levels with no change where left blank.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2016-11-10 at 07:23 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh hey, a note with your items! Try to fill your weapon/implement, armor, and neck slots with your 3 free items. They're far and away the most important slots.

Have fun!