Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 823242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Heights of Londo [IC 2: Bolted]

Luna looks up at Alyssa as she nods. "Cleffa?" "We're just gonna be down the beach, Luna. I'll be back!" Luna seems appeased as Alyssa puts her back next to Saura.

Looking back to Leah, Alyssa points off down the beach dramatically. "Let's go!" She turns back to Rana and bows. "Thanks for looking after Luna for a little while!" Then she bounds off down the beach, walking with a bit of a spring in her step but still carefully finding places for her to step without weirdly stepping into any rocks or tripping or anything.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    5e: Orianna OOC IC
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

As the girls go further down the beach, they're treated to the sight of an unusual structure tucked against the cliff, of what seems like three tendrils of sand that have leaped from the ground and been frozen there before they can fall.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

Leah follows after Alyssa as quickly as she dares, wary of injuring her feet on the stony beach. She frowns at the sight of the unusual structure as they draw close to it. Nodding toward it, she asked "What do you think that is..?" Without giving Alyssa a chance to answer, she looked over at her with a smile, "Want to take a closer look?"
    Last edited by Comissar; 2017-09-13 at 08:20 AM.

GLaDOS Avatar and Pokémon Sig. by me

Spoiler: Alternate Avatars
    Show

Leah and Saura, and Summer Rose by me

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa gasps when she catches sight of it, fumbling around in her bag for her pad to sketch out the shape. Looking over at Leah at exactly the same moment she looks at her, Alyssa opens her mouth to speak but instead nods. "Uh huh!" She moves down closer, trying to be quick while at the same time trying not to injure herself, though she stops after a few steps to make sure Leah found a safe way to her.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Troll in the Playground

Leah grins at Alyssa's eagerness, following after her at her own pace. Noticing the sketch pad, she hangs back a little to give Alyssa a chance to get the initial sketching finished without anyone in the way.

Show

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa stops a bit before they're really close enough to make out intricate details. With one eye closed, she holds up her hands to try to frame the space, sometimes taking a few steps forward or back. Then, with an affirmative grunt, she quickly sketches out the shape of the tendrils on her pad. After maybe a minute or so she calls to Leah, "Do you know what those are?"

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

Once she's closer, Leah's eyes widen in recognition. "Oh! It's fulgrite!" She grins excitedly, looking over at Alyssa, "I've never seen any in person before, this is really cool!"

She moves a little closer still, being careful not to touch it as she does. After a moment or two of looking at the almost alien structures, she realises her explanation may have been a bit lacking. With an embarrassed smile, she turns back to Alyssa, "It's, uh, it's what happens when lightning hits sand. The, uh, the current gets conducted through it and, uh, and melts the sand instantly." She turns her attention back to the structures, "Umm, it cools really quickly afterward and, uh, and that turns it to glass so, uh, so some people call it 'lightning glass'."

She glances back across the rocky beach, "This must've happened back when there was more sand. Umm, a storm or, uh, or I guess a powerful Electric type pokémon..?"

Show

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa follows behind Leah slowly, careful not to move too fast. As Leah gets excited, she puts a hand to her mouth to hide her giggles. Leah's explanation makes Alyssa smile. "Oh, wow that's really cool!" She holds a hand delicately towards the structures, touching the air around them. "I learned to admire nature in my art. Not really one of those 'abstract' artists. So the real stuff is really cool." After a little while following the shape with her hand, she goes back to her sketch pad and draws a few notes and lines on it.

Leah's second comment causes Alyssa to look up suddenly. "W-well if it was a Pokemon I hope it doesn't come back right now." She gives a nervous smile and starts making her way up the rocks to somewhere they might be slightly safer. "It was, um, probably a storm, right?"

9. - Top - End - #969
    Troll in the Playground

Leah nods as Alyssa expresses her views on drawing natural scenes. As she watches her move her hand around the structure, she comments "Just, uh, just be careful if you touch it. It can be a bit delicate and, uh, and if it breaks, it is still glass, so it can be really sharp."

She looks a little surprised as Alyssa's expression shifts to one of worry. Straightening up, she tucked her hair away from her eyes and shook her head. "Umm, I think we should be ok..? Even if it was a pokémon it, uh, it wouldn't have been recent. There's, uh, there's not enough sand here for it to have been." She gestures back at the lightning glass, "Umm, they only stand free like this when the, uh, the surrounding sands been removed somehow."

Doubt starts to creep into her words, though, Alyssa's worry starting to infect her.

Show

10. - Top - End - #970
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa sighs with relief. "Oh. Right. That, um, makes sense." She visibly relaxes and laughs. "Sorry to worry you. I guess I'm still tense from...earlier." She awkwardly twirls a strand of hair.

The immediate danger gone, Alyssa finds somewhere dry to sit and takes to sketching the shapes in the fulgrite more clearly. She looks around every few minutes to orient herself and where Leah is, smiling every time she catches her glance.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Troll in the Playground

Leah feels her worry ebb away as Alyssa laughs, offering her a smile and a shake of her head, "No, uh, it's fine. I, uh, I didn't mean to panic you."

As Alyssa settles down to sketch the fulgrite, she moves slowly around the structures, enjoying the rare opportunity to see something as bizarre as this up close, and giving her own smile back whenever she notices Alyssa looking her way. After a little while of this, she turns to look over the cliff face itself, her eyes tracing the structures in the rock, idle curiosity keeping her busy whilst Alyssa sketched.

Show

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa notices Leah examining the fulgrite and decides to sketch her in to her drawing. She provides some useful scale, but more than that Alyssa finds herself drawing her friend a bit differently now that they've talked. As she looks up and notices her tracing the cliff face, she calls out, "Do you see anything interesting up there?"

13. - Top - End - #973
    Troll in the Playground

Looking back over at Alyssa, Leah gives her a smile and a shake of her head, "Uh, not really. I'm, uh, I'm a bit out of practice for reading cliffs." She makes her way back over to join Alyssa, sitting down next to her as she points at the rock face, "There's a few bits where you can see the currents. Umm, not really from here, but when you're up close you can see it looks like the rock's been layered in almost v-shaped lines..? That's, uh, that's from the waves going in and out. When the current's weakest, sand gets dropped off, so, you get that pattern forming. Umm, you see it wherever there's a tidal current."

Her gaze drops a little, resting on the lightning glass as she grins again, "That's still the coolest thing here, though. Makes me wonder if there's more of it in other places along the beach. I mean, it's pretty stormy here, right?" She glances at Alyssa for confirmation, a thoughtful look on her face, "Lightning strikes on the beach can't be that rare. Although..." She twists in place, looking out over the beach, "I guess the sand's a bit scarce..."
    Last edited by Comissar; 2017-09-14 at 06:06 PM.

Show

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa follows where Leah points, nodding as she explains. "So waves over time made those shapes?" She sort of traces a shape with her hand like the wavy lines on the rocks, crossing in front of Leah a little bit.

At Leah's question, Alyssa herself turns pensive. She smiles back when Leah glances at her. "I wonder how old that one is. If it's made from sand, then it must be old enough that the sand that was here is all gone, but maybe that means there's sand somewhere along here." She looks over as Leah twists, but turns her head back to the structure pretty quickly. "Maybe we can find sand somewhere? It's weird this would be here if there wasn't any sand nearby."

15. - Top - End - #975
    Troll in the Playground

Leah nods, "Yeah, pretty much. It takes a while for it to turn to rock, but that's the gist of it."

She shrugs as Alyssa wonders about the age of the fulgrite. "There's, uh, there's ways to tell, but you'd need to know a lot about the geology of the area first. Umm, I don't think there's been many surveys in Londo yet so, uh, so I've got no idea how old it'd be. And,
    uh, I was just thinking out loud,
    " She turns back to Alyssa with a smile, "We don't have to go looking for sand." She looks forward again, admiring the structure some more. After a few moments, she breaks the quiet, "When, uh, when we went on field trips, we were expected to do sketches of these kind of things. Umm, I was never very good at that bit, though. Always found it hard to get scale right." She glanced back at Alyssa, "Umm, do you, uh, do you have any tips..?"

Show

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa shrugs, sketching for a few moments. Leah's question draws her attention, and she smiles. "Well, part of scale is having something you know the height of. Like, if I'm trying to do a sketch of something like that, I try to get someone else I know size-wise so I have something to compare." She holds her sketch towards Leah, pointing out the human-shaped figure to the side. "Like, there's you, so I know the structure is roughly this big compared to you, and I kinda know what size you are, so I can figure it out." Pulling the pad back, she shakes her head and takes out something to do a bit of erasing. "I'm not as great at the nature bits as I am at the person bits, though. I'm good at people and Pokemon but not so much at scenery." She laughs and shrugs. "It's harder to get the mood of scenery by talking to it or watching it really carefully."

17. - Top - End - #977
    Troll in the Playground

Leah looks at the sketch with interest. She feels her ears heat a little as she realises she's been incorporated into the drawing, but doesn't comment. Instead, she just nods along as Alyssa continues to explain her method, breaking into a grin at her joke, "Well, uh, you'll only have a real problem if it talks back to you." She tucks her hair away from her face, glancing from the sketch pad, to the scenery, then back again, "It's still a lot better than I could do. Whenever I try and draw people, they, uh, they look like scarecrows."

Show

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa laughs at Leah's joke, wiping something from her eye. "It might be a Pokemon then!"

Alyssa shrugs at Leah's praise. "I've had a lot of practice. I think it's cool you know so much about rocks and fossils and things like that." She smiles back at Leah. "It's all in learning. Like, what you've said about the fulgrite and the rocks helps me sketch it better. Knowing about a thing makes it easier to draw. For me, anyways. It gives me a sense of how something is the way it is. Some people draw based on shapes alone so they can draw anything, even things from their imagination. I was never really like that."

19. - Top - End - #979
    Troll in the Playground

Leah looks up as Alyssa shrugs off her praise. She looks embarrassed as she's complimented on her knowledge of rocks and fossils, giving a half shrug in response. "It's, uh, it's nothing you, uh, you can't learn out of a book..."

She turned her attention downward, eyes on her bare feet as she shifted in place. "Umm, maybe, uh, maybe you could, uh, could show me how to, uh, to draw, sometime..?"

Show

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa shrugs. "I never had that much patience for books. Except about health and bodies and stuff."

Noting Leah's nervousness, Alyssa smiles brightly and nods. "Yeah, sure! I don't mind. Might help you with your work, too, right? Um, where would you want to start?" Looking back to her pad, she makes a few lines then taps the end of her charcoal on her chin. She draws a few more lines on the page, then realizes that while the shapes of the fulgrite are still a bit undefined, Leah to the side is getting more and more detailed. Squinting at the fulgrite in the distance, Alyssa dedicates herself to putting more to the fulgrite lines, making them more defined on the page between scratches and erasures.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, uh, like I said, I'm, uh, I'm not very good at, uh, at drawing people so, uh, so maybe that'd be a good place to start..?" She gives Alyssa a nervous smile and a shrug, "Maybe, uh, maybe when we get back to the Health Hole for the evening..?"

Show

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa nods. "Yeah, I can maybe try to explain some stuff when we get back." She makes a few more lines and then closes her pad and looks at Leah. "It's be nice to see what you're doing, too. Oh, I meant to ask, if Saura's okay with it, can I make a drawing of her?"

23. - Top - End - #983
    Troll in the Playground

Leah nods with a smile, "Oh, sure! I think she'd enjoy that."

Seeing Alyssa finish sketching for the moment, she leans forward, weight shifting to the balls of her feet as she got ready to stand, "Got everything you wanted..?"
    Last edited by Comissar; 2017-09-16 at 06:01 AM.

Show

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa nods with a smile. "Yeah, I tend to take basics and then finish things up later. Sorta like a note to myself." Shooting up, she stretches a bit and offers Leah a hand to help her to her feet.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Troll in the Playground

Leah nods, "Yeah, that, uh, that makes sense." She smiles as Alyssa offers a hand, reaching out with her free hand to pull herself up to her feet, being careful not to pull too hard on Alyssa's arm as she does to avoid overbalancing her. Letting go, she shifts her bag strap to a more comfortable position as she starts to pick her way along the rocks again, "Does it take a while to finish the drawings..?" She glances over to Alyssa, "Once you're away from whatever you were drawing, I mean."

Show

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa adjusts her own bag while she thinks. "It, um, depends. Like, sometimes there's something missing and I leave it unfinished for a while. I know that one piece took me something like a month to finish? I got stuck and couldn't figure out the right things to put in it. But sometimes I know exactly what I wanted to do and I just put it all together in an evening. I've finished drawings for a lot of people in a day or so. There's a lot that goes into each piece. With the nature pieces, who knows; I really don't know what those are supposed to look like." She shrugs. "I'm okay with not finishing everything, though. Sometimes I just like to get a sense of things so I can sort of remember them, y'know? Like taking a picture except with more of me in it."

27. - Top - End - #987
    Troll in the Playground

Leah nods, "I think I get what you mean..?" She keeps her eyes down, watching her steps as she makes her way through a particularly troublesome patch, "Umm, it can be like writer's block..?" She glances out to the sea as she walks, wanting to make sure the tide wouldn't catch them unawares, "So, uh, are pokémon or people easier to draw, do you think..?"

Show

28. - Top - End - #988
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa shrugs. "I don't really know about writer's block, but maybe? It's more a feeling like there's something I can't grasp about the subject." Following Leah's to the sea, Alyssa smiles. "I, um, I dunno. It depends. Some people are harder to draw, some Pokemon are harder to draw? I guess probably Pokemon, because they move a lot more? Also it's harder for me to think about exactly how they'd move most of time? Pokemon are a lot more varied than people in terms of shape." She makes a bunch of hand motions trying to demonstrate but not really knowing what she's doing.

29. - Top - End - #989
    Troll in the Playground

Leah looks a little surprised at Alyssa's answer, "I guess that makes sense. I'd have thought it'd be the, uh, the other way around." She shrugs, "Umm, I always thought th-" Abruptly, Leah's eyes widen and her heart leaps in her chest as she stumbles, having placed a foot wrong on a loose rock. Staggering forward a step or two, she managed to keep her footing, though she gives a hiss of pain as she comes to a stop.

Standing still, she waited a moment before carefully sitting down. "... Ow..." Gingerly, she prodded at her feet, trying to assess the damage with an occasional wince, "... Just some scrapes..."

Show

30. - Top - End - #990
    Titan in the Playground

Noticing Leah start to fall, Alyssa's heart jumps in her chest and she shouts "Leah!" Her arm reaches forward but a bit too late, and she's left jumping a few rocks to check on her friend. She helps Leah as she sits down, giving her a point of balance to keep weight off her foot. "Lemme see, lemme see." Kneeling, she drops her bag and gingerly looks at Leah's foot, trying to assess any potential damage.