New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Default Would you play this?

The DM has announced a high power campaign, the people your playing with are min-maxers (but are good people). All books are allowed and everyone plays on playing a top-tier build. The DM encourages people to build something strong.

You decided to play a straight-classed commoner. No prestige classes, no cheese, no combat based skills, just 100% commoner.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Would you play this?

No... cause the DM encouraged to play the oposite
    english not base lenguage, sry for the grammar, thanks.

Kael Proudmoure, Swifblade (avatar by Loki Eremes)
    Unlimited arcane technique: Spell, Sword, and Fist.

3. - Top - End - #3

No. It sounds like deliberately throwing a wrench into the plan for a high powered game.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDancer View Post
    The DM has announced a high power campaign, the people your playing with are min-maxers (but are good people). All books are allowed and everyone plays on playing a top-tier build. The DM encourages people to build something strong.

You decided to play a straight-classed commoner. No prestige classes, no cheese, no combat based skills, just 100% commoner.
    Would you play this?

The DM has announced a low power campaign, the people you're playing with don't optimize (but are good people). All books are allowed but everyone plays a pretty simple build. The DM encourages people to build something tame.

You decided to play Pun-Pun.

If you're deliberately violating the premise that the DM and other players have all agreed on, you're being an expletive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5

Unless you're building towards "pizza pick-up guy", this is a terrible idea.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

How did I arrive at commoner being the best choice? If I wanted a core-only melee character I would usually choose barbarian or aristocrat, but I have all books available.
    "Movement speed is the most important statistic in this game."

"Give them no mercy for they give no mercy to us."

"I see one of those I kill it!"

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Aegis View Post
    How did I arrive at commoner being the best choice? If I wanted a core-only melee character I would usually choose barbarian or aristocrat, but I have all books available.
    ...The last bit makes it seem like a joke, but barbarian seems like a fairly decent choice, especially in core. Add in the use of the perpendicular pronoun and I be confused.

Also, OP, don't play a commoner in a high-op game, that's basically trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Which races are available? (Phaerimm commoners are pretty powerful...)

2. What's about feats?

3. Are you attempting to make an expy of Nodwik?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

The problem with commoners is that there's no middle field. Either you're a useless pseudo-NPC, or you're swinging a pig that weighs as much as a few black holes around and summoning infinite chickens.

The only practical use of commoner I can think of is entering survivor, and that's a horrible class.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

Cool thank for the advice, I wasn't 100% sure that playing a commoner was trolling (the pun-pun/low power game comparison makes sense).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Cool thank for the advice, I wasn't 100% sure that playing a commoner was trolling (the pun-pun/low power game comparison makes sense).
    It's not the commoner specifically that's the problem - it's the stark contrast.

As a general rule, if the campaign involves everyone playing X, and you play something as far removed from X as possible, it's basically trolling. The commoner in a high-op campaign is one illustration, as is Pun-Pun in low-op.

But it's also playing a Paladin in an Evil campaign, or a Necromancer in an Exalted campaign. It's playing a Drow (or worse, Drider) in an all-surface-elves campaign, or a Vampire in a Pelorite campaign, or a Dragonborn Warforged Warlock in an all-core all-Human campaign.

As a general rule, doing something that far removed from what everyone is expected to play is either (a) deliberately handicapping/overshadowing the team, (b) deliberately creating conflict within the team, or (c) engaging in selfish behavior. Even if you don't realize the effect of your decision on the rest of the table, that's its own problem.

So yes. As a rule, when a campaign has clearly-stated expectations, it behooves a player to try to adhere to them.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    As a general rule, doing something that far removed from what everyone is expected to play is either (a) deliberately handicapping/overshadowing the team, (b) deliberately creating conflict within the team, or (c) engaging in selfish behavior.
    I wouldn't say it's handicapping the team when you make a super-weak character, since there is a human being responsible for the difficulty curve. When faced with a party of 3 wizards and a commoner, the DM can just create encounters suitable for 3 wizards. The real issue is that one of the DM's responsibilities is to engage everyone at the table, and your commoner cannot meaningfully contribute in any encounter that the wizards find engaging.

As a result, one or more of these things will happen:
    • The commoner character dies immediately, and the player plays a new, effective character after having wasted everyone's time.
    • The wizards polymorph the commoner into something useful. The player plays a new, effective character after having wasted everyone's time.
    • The commoner character sits on the sidelines. The player is bored.
    • The DM desperately tries to create encounters that engage the commoner. The wizards solve them without trying. Everyone is bored.
    • The DM creates encounters that the wizards aren't allowed to participate in, so the commoner has something to do. The wizards sit on the sidelines. The wizard players are bored.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2016-11-10 at 03:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I wouldn't say it's handicapping the team when you make a super-weak character, since there is a human being responsible for the difficulty curve. When faced with a party of 3 wizards and a commoner, the DM can just create encounters suitable for 3 wizards. The real issue is that one of the DM's responsibilities is to engage everyone at the table, and your commoner cannot meaningfully contribute in any encounter that the wizards find engaging.

As a result, one or more of these things will happen:
    • The commoner character dies immediately, and the player plays a new, effective character after having wasted everyone's time.
    • The wizards polymorph the commoner into something useful. The player plays a new, effective character after having wasted everyone's time.
    • The commoner character sits on the sidelines. The player is bored.
    • The DM desperately tries to create encounters that engage the commoner. The wizards solve them without trying. Everyone is bored.
    • The DM creates encounters that the wizards aren't allowed to participate in, so the commoner has something to do. The wizards sit on the sidelines. The wizard players are bored.
    I think, if you're really that much better of an optimizer than the rest of the players, such that you playing a commoner would put you on par with their wizards, it could make sense. Otherwise, yeah, don't.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    I think, if you're really that much better of an optimizer than the rest of the players, such that you playing a commoner would put you on par with their wizards, it could make sense. Otherwise, yeah, don't.
    But again, the problem isn't specifically playing a commoner, it's playing a character that much less effective than the other characters. If you're a substantially better optimizer, even when you're playing a commoner, you're not really playing a commoner in that sense.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

What role would you even play in the party? Baggage handler? Cook? Maybe -very- temporary decoy (followed by rolling a new character)?

Don't get me wrong it -can- be done effectively but a number of relatively huge "if"s need to be addressed.

If... Leadership is allowed and you know how to work it to a T.

If... The DM is willing to handle WBL a certain way

If... The DM is willing to let you work a market and you know how (remember you said no cheese)

If... The other players are unwilling or unable to use the same tricks

Most likely this is just a bad idea.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign