New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 37 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Got any Dice Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Do they make dice out of precious metals?

How about Carbon Fiber dice?

Lead?
    I doubt you could make a reliable die out of Carbon Fiber, and you'd have a lot of issues with lead. Precious metals would be fairly easy to make (albeit expensive), although someone could easily make, say, a gold-plated die. In fact, the company Artisan Dice recently had a Kickstarter where one of the stretch goals unlocked gold, silver, and platinum-plated aluminum dice. They also had Tungsten, Damascus steel, and Graphite (among many other materials).
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ogre in the Playground

My friend has a particularly ridged set of dice, well set is a poor word, a pair is a better word.

If I uploaded the picture tonight when I get home, what are the chances you can identify the manufacturer and where I could find it?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

3. - Top - End - #693
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do they make dice out of precious metals?
    Yes ... Check out THIS LINK both silver and gold (plated and solid)

How about Carbon Fiber dice?
    I agree with the previous poster ... unless they are constructed very carefully .. I suspect CF dice would fall apart as it is much like layered fiberglass

Lead?
    Yes .. see the link above ..under LEAD

My friend has a particularly ridged set of dice, well set is a poor word, a pair is a better word.

If I uploaded the picture tonight when I get home, what are the chances you can identify the manufacturer and where I could find it?
    I certainly will try ... and many others here could also possibly help :)

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Cook View Post
    I just had to do an interim update to show these dice

At first I thought they were just some cheap polys that someone marked with sharpie and put into an old dice box ... Turns out ... they are cheap polys (Hong Kong) but are much older than I thought ... 1963

These may be the oldest polyhedral game dice set ... we have seen d4's ... d6's ... d12's ... and even d20's from ancient times ... but never as a set
    now that I think of it, that d8 in this picture looks a lot like it, except the Numbers are more clear. anyway i'll get it tonight
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

here it is, I guess this is the only dice that he has like this.

I dunno what i like about it, I guess it seems older, its very straight edges rather than the usual rounded ones.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/927/img8282.JPG

6. - Top - End - #696

here it is, I guess this is the only dice that he has like this.

I dunno what i like about it, I guess it seems older, its very straight edges rather than the usual rounded ones.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/927/img8282.JPG
    WOW .. at first I believed that that die is an Orange GameScience D8

Then I checked my own "HOW DO YOU TELL WHO MADE A DIE" page and it turns out that seems to be a Jerry Alexander d8

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ogre in the Playground

WOW .. at first I believed that that die is an Orange GameScience D8

Then I checked my own "HOW DO YOU TELL WHO MADE A DIE" page and it turns out that seems to be a Jerry Alexander d8

Awesome, are those still around for sale you think?

8. - Top - End - #698

Awesome, are those still around for sale you think?
    Jerry Alexander have been gone for about 25 years ... Gamescience is still going strong ... the problem I had with Jerry Alexander was opposing sides of their dice did not add to n+1 where n is the number of sides on the die

9. - Top - End - #699

Are there any trick polyhedral die (the typical 7-set) that you can buy pre-made that always roll minimum (or maximum) values?

Would that even be reliable on higher-faced polygons, such as a d20 that always rolls 20s or 1s (mutually exclusively of course)?
    Last edited by Preaplanes; 2013-05-12 at 04:32 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    We now go to Preaplanes with the dungeon crawl deal. Prea?
    I'M FIGHTIN' TARRASQUE!
    Sounds rough, Prea, do you have a caster?
    HAD ONE!
    Where is it now?
    IN A FORCECAGE TWO DAYS AWAY!
    Is there anything we can do for you?
    BRING ME SOME SCROLLS!
    What kind?
    MIRACLE!

Accidental Character Reference in D&D 3.5

10. - Top - End - #700

Imp

why do the D3's have letters on them? what do they signify?

what would be good ways to ink a die with no ink? (reading dice without ink sucks imho)

edit: know of any place where i can get a (matching) set of dice that include a d3?
    Last edited by Deaxsa; 2013-05-12 at 08:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    That's a RAW abuse. Fortunately, like many RAW abuses, it has its counter built in by way of more stupid RAW: tripping does not, in fact, cause you to fall.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deaxsa View Post
    The letters on my d3 are R, P, and S, for Rock, Paper Scissors.

what would be good ways to ink a die with no ink? (reading dice without ink sucks imho)
    A Sharpie works well.

Or paint. You can just paint the dice and then rub it off lightly, and the number stays painted.

edit: know of any place where i can get a (matching) set of dice that include a d3?
    Googling "d3 dice set" gets many hits.

12. - Top - End - #702

Quote Originally Posted by Preaplanes View Post
    Are there any trick polyhedral die (the typical 7-set) that you can buy pre-made that always roll minimum (or maximum) values?

Would that even be reliable on higher-faced polygons, such as a d20 that always rolls 20s or 1s (mutually exclusively of course)?
    I know of none that are reliable

Chessex used to make sets of dice that had 2 of the highest face ... ie on a d20 ... 2 20's and no 1

I have one weighted d20 ... and LOTS of weighted d6's ... but none are 100% reliable

Jay R answered this ... thanks much

Only one thing to add .. Sharpie oil based paint pens

GameScience / GameStation sells a large 14 die? set that includes a d3

13. - Top - End - #703

Default May 2013 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the IRONDIE CARV D20 above for highlights of dice added in May 2013

14. - Top - End - #704

Default Origins Secret Shopper?

Is there anyone willing to be my Secret Shopper for Origins?

I very much would like it if someone could shop the Q-Workshop booth for me and I can compensate via Paypal

Please contact me via email (via the website ... if you can help)

EDIT: I found someone who can help ... a fellow Dice Maniac :)
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2013-06-11 at 09:38 AM.

15. - Top - End - #705

Default June 2013 Highlights

If you are not interested in new or rare dice that were inventoried this month ... Please ignore this post

Click on the Fusion Dice Fudge die above for highlights of dice added in June 2013

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2013-06-30 at 03:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Origins Secret Shopper?

Is there anyone willing to be my Secret Shopper for Origins?
    Do they see you coming and put up their prices?

I think most of what I say in this thread is about money... must be that my priorities are coming through. I guess that's why I'm not the one with the dice collection.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

17. - Top - End - #707

Default Re: Origins Secret Shopper?

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Guy View Post
    Do they see you coming and put up their prices?

I think most of what I say in this thread is about money... must be that my priorities are coming through. I guess that's why I'm not the one with the dice collection.
    LOL ... no ... I just could not be there ... I did find a fellow collector who was able to make my purchases

18. - Top - End - #708

Default July 2013 Highlights

Click on the PHILOLABS laser cut ... finger joint D4 above for highlights of dice added in July 2013

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2013-08-01 at 05:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #709

Default Gen Con Indy promo dice

Is anyone willing to help me by attending the D&D Next session at Gen Con Indy next week to acquire the set of promotional dice after I will purchase the dice from you?

For more info : http://d6mafia.com/index.php?option=...=69&Itemid=227
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2013-08-09 at 08:14 AM.

20. - Top - End - #710

Default August 2013 Highlights

Click on the Gamescience d20 above for highlights of dice added in August 2013

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2013-09-01 at 03:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #711
    Pixie in the Playground

I just came here from a google search (which also turned up dicecollector.com).

I've been searching high and low for sets of the Koplow pink opaque dice. I've found a number of the d4, d6, and d8, (6, 10, and 30, respectively - G2 Collectibles on eBay seems to have a bunch of d6 and d8) but no full sets or any d10, d12, or d20.

Or, if I can't find those, any pink or pinkish dice with black lettering. I know chessex has a few different pink ones, but they all seem to have white or gold lettering. I'm not a big fan of Q-Workshop's either, they're hard to read quickly when rolling a bunch at once, and they're rather expensive compared to the other common brands.

Any advice on where I might be able to find what I'm looking for? Thanks!

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by leebenningfield View Post
    I just came here from a google search (which also turned up dicecollector.com).

I've been searching high and low for sets of the Koplow pink opaque dice. I've found a number of the d4, d6, and d8, (6, 10, and 30, respectively - G2 Collectibles on eBay seems to have a bunch of d6 and d8) but no full sets or any d10, d12, or d20.

Or, if I can't find those, any pink or pinkish dice with black lettering. I know chessex has a few different pink ones, but they all seem to have white or gold lettering. I'm not a big fan of Q-Workshop's either, they're hard to read quickly when rolling a bunch at once, and they're rather expensive compared to the other common brands.

Any advice on where I might be able to find what I'm looking for? Thanks!
    My advice is to buy pink dice and a fine-tip black-ink Sharpie.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

At one time, I had a die that I liked that i got from the game store as a single mixed in with everything else; it was a d4, opaque plastic, nothing special, but instead of the standard three sided pyramid, it was shaped like a somewhat long tetra pack. The ends were not pointed, but cut off flat, it had four equal sides, each an equilateral triangle, with no complex curves or central axis or whatnot like the "crystal dice" have. It rolled nicely, with that dice-like bounce instead of the typical d4 splat.
    I have no idea where it came from or if they are still available, and someone lifted mine.
    Last edited by JusticeZero; 2013-09-11 at 10:26 AM.
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

24. - Top - End - #714

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    My advice is to buy pink dice and a fine-tip black-ink Sharpie.
    I agree except remove the existing paint first .. then use extra fine oil-based Sharpie paint pens

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeZero View Post
    At one time, I had a die that I liked that i got from the game store as a single mixed in with everything else; it was a d4, opaque plastic, nothing special, but instead of the standard three sided pyramid, it was shaped like a somewhat long tetra pack. The ends were not pointed, but cut off flat, it had four equal sides, each an equilateral triangle, with no complex curves or central axis or whatnot like the "crystal dice" have. It rolled nicely, with that dice-like bounce instead of the typical d4 splat.
    I have no idea where it came from or if they are still available, and someone lifted mine.
    Do you mean something like this?

Either an ISOSCELES TETRAHEDRON or SCALENE TETRAHEDRON

If this is what you are referring to .. this was patented and it seems Dragon Dice .. infringed the patent ... and as such .. noone has produced this shape in year
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2013-09-13 at 11:05 AM.

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Yes, that's the one. Bah, it's a much better shape than the "crystal" columns. :(
    "We were once so close to heaven, Peter came out and gave us medals declaring us 'The nicest of the damned'.."
    - They Might Be Giants, "Road Movie To Berlin"

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Regarding d4 chirality? Do they generally come in two forms?

Specifically, in regards to d4s numbered on points, I've only ever seen them oriented such that when the 4 is placed in the back so you can't see it, the other 3 go from 1-3 clockwise (R-Chiral, for those that know the term). Are counterclockwise 1-3 d4s made?
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

27. - Top - End - #717

Ya know .. I never noticed ... but I can say that in my photos .. you for the most part be able to see all 4 values (not sides) of a tetrahedral d4

http://www.dicecollector.com/D4.HTM

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Regarding d4 chirality? Do they generally come in two forms?

Specifically, in regards to d4s numbered on points, I've only ever seen them oriented such that when the 4 is placed in the back so you can't see it, the other 3 go from 1-3 clockwise (R-Chiral, for those that know the term). Are counterclockwise 1-3 d4s made?

28. - Top - End - #718
    Titan in the Playground

Every single one that fits the point labeling description is R-Chiral. Interesting.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

29. - Top - End - #719

Default September 2013 Hightlights

Click on the Gryphon Design Studios Spalted Tamarind D6 above for highlights of dice added in September 2013

Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2013-10-02 at 10:51 AM.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

How well does that D1 roll?
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.