New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default I'm Thinking About Playing A Rogue On My Third Game

Hey everyone. I'm thinking about playing a Netural Good Male Lesser Drow Rogue on my third game. Here's a twist the rogue is a lot younger than adulthood. The rogue is a child. Does anybody have any advice of how to be successful playing a male child rogue or thief?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: I'm Thinking About Playing A Rogue On My Third Game

Don't worry mate, you didn't need to say it was a Drow. With you, it is implied.

What kind of stat alterations are you using to represent the child age category, and are you keeping in mind the chance for serious trauma in such a role?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Don't worry mate, you didn't need to say it was a Drow. With you, it is implied.

What kind of stat alterations are you using to represent the child age category, and are you keeping in mind the chance for serious trauma in such a role?
    What do you mean about stat alterations? and what do you mean a serious trauma in such a role?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Also, the character will have a last name that is either "Spade", or "Diamond", because those are the two card suits you haven't used yet.

I believe Pathfinder has a "Child" template that could be used for this. Also, the child adventurer idea is trope-ridden enough that you can totally run something like this without ever having to worry about the consequences of such a thing if it were to happen in "real-life". Unless such a thing is what you are interested in exploring.
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Also, the character will have a last name that is either "Spade", or "Diamond", because those are the two card suits you haven't used yet.

I believe Pathfinder has a "Child" template that could be used for this. Also, the child adventurer idea is trope-ridden enough that you can totally run something like this without ever having to worry about the consequences of such a thing if it were to happen in "real-life". Unless such a thing is what you are interested in exploring.
    Actually the male child rogue name happens to be Eric Spade.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Actually the male child rogue name happens to be Eric Spade.
    Not Sam Spade? Dang, maybe you'll go with Neil Diamond for your next character (hint, he should be a bard).
    Awesome avatar by Iron Penguin!

Signature of Holding

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deadline View Post
    Not Sam Spade? Dang, maybe you'll go with Neil Diamond for your next character (hint, he should be a bard).
    No. I just decided to go the name Eric Spade. Oh and FYI I'm also not going to use David Spade as my rogue character name.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Child template could easily be used even in 3.5, sure.

Also, totally subbing to this thread.
    The tropes, they are real.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Child template could easily be used even in 3.5, sure.

Also, totally subbing to this thread.
    The tropes, they are real.
    Could you link the child template please if it not too much trouble?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Use the Savage Drow instead for an extra +2 Int. (Don't take the racial levels.)

Do not skimp on Constitution. You've got a racial penalty and a tiny hit die. You need the extra HP badly.

Pick a prestige class. It will inform your build. I would not recommend going straight rogue. Some good options off the top of my head are Trapsmith, Assassin, Avenger, Slayer of Domiel, Temple Raider of Olidammara, Eye of Xanathar, Life Eater, Urban Savant, Shadowbane Stalker, Unseen Seer, Umbral Disciple, Swordsage (technically not a prestige class but it feels like one), Elocater, and Fatemaker.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Use the Savage Drow instead for an extra +2 Int. (Don't take the racial levels.)

Do not skimp on Constitution. You've got a racial penalty and a tiny hit die. You need the extra HP badly.

Pick a prestige class. It will inform your build. I would not recommend going straight rogue. Some good options off the top of my head are Trapsmith, Assassin, Avenger, Slayer of Domiel, Temple Raider of Olidammara, Eye of Xanathar, Life Eater, Urban Savant, Shadowbane Stalker, Unseen Seer, Umbral Disciple, Swordsage (technically not a prestige class but it feels like one), Elocater, and Fatemaker.
    What's wrong going to straight rogue?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

What's wrong going to straight rogue?
    Diminishing returns. The high-level abilities are weak, so you fall off in power later in the game. Prestige classes provide you with more powerful level-appropriate abilities.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok here's Eric Spade backstory. Eric Spade was born in a good reform drow rogue family. He's the son of Andrew Spade and Samantha Spade. And he's the brother of Nancy Spade. Andrew spade taught Eric how to be a good rogue drow. Even though he's still a child. He got great potential. He's friends with Stan Club, Kyle Heart and Kenny Diamond. He got a romantic crush on Bonnie Club (Stan's sister). Eric Spade and his friends always get into mischief of their adventures. He join a diverse rouge group called The Light Cloak and Dagger. Where they do good things like helping the community and other stuff. Eric Spade personality is very clever and a bit agressive and domineering. He can be a brat sometimes but deep down inside he a nice kid. The backstory still need some polishing and editing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty weird for there to be a nice happy nuclear family of good-aligned drow.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Pretty weird for there to be a nice happy nuclear family of good-aligned drow.
    Maybe we should write sanctify the wicked into their backstory?
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

So Real, so Real...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yeah I wouldn't go full rogue, if you end up tumbling in and out of combat alot I'd recommend the swift ambusher feat and 3 levels of scout(which I did), other than that there are some pretty good prcs if you look around, or other rogue like classes, everyone seems to love Beguiler.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Would you described to me what all these prestige class do?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Be melee. Rogues are not ranged characters, no matter what the books tell you. If you're a drow, you might consider dipping Swashbuck and fighter. 3 levels swashbuckler will give you weapon finesse for free, and int as a damage bonus. Drow even have racial levels for both those classes that would benefit a melee rogue a whole lot. Drow fighter gets an initiative bonus and dex to damage against flat-footed foes at level 1, and Drow Swashbuckler lets you take a 5 foot step after hitting with two weapons, but that one is at 7th level. Better to supplement more rogue levels. Don't do drow rogue. Poison use isn't nearly as useful as trapfinding.
    Last edited by Jack_McSnatch; 2016-11-16 at 02:04 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Trapsmith: Trap master. Loses some sneak attack damage, gains powerful spells for combat and dungeoneering, can make nifty traps. Quite strong.

Assassin: Loses skill points. Gains instant death attacks and spellcasting that greatly enhances sneak attacks, stealth, and subterfuge.

Avenger: Slightly weaker version of the Assassin with different alignment requirements.

Slayer of Domiel: Good-aligned version of the Assassin with tweaked abilities and divine spells.

Temple Raider: Olidammara-themed divine-casting rogue. Loses skill points, gains useful dungeoneering spells. Not as good as Trapsmith, but still cool.

Eye of Xanathar: Gain a freaky eyeball that gives you Beholder powers, improves your perception and scouting abilities, and allows you to make melee sneak attacks under any conditions (no flanking or flat-footing required). Slower sneak attack progression.

Life Eater: Eat souls. Gain powerful death-related spell-like abilities and deliver negative levels and bleed damage with your sneak attacks. Evil.

Urban Savant: Know everything about your enemies. Literally peek at their statblocks and look at their stats. At higher levels, you can give your whole team buffs with a Knowledge check. Also gives you spellcasting and wild empathy and stuff. Designed for bards, but works great for any skill monkey. Requires a level in an arcane spellcasting class. No sneak attack progression.

Shadowbane Stalker: Good-aligned divine sneak attacker. Gives you divine spellcasting and bonuses to stealth and stuff. Pretty strong. Requires a level of cleric.

Unseen Seer: Arcane sneak attacker. Advances sneak attack and arcane spellcasting. Cast as a wizard while also being a rogue. Also pretty strong. Requires a level of wizard, sorcerer, beguiler, etc.

Umbral Disciple: Gives incarnum-based abilities that provide constant concealment, let you hide in plain sight, and other nifty things. Slower sneak attack progression. Requires an essentia pool. It's common to take only the first 3 levels of this class, because the first 3 levels are great and the next 3 levels after that offer almost no benefits. (7+ is fine, but it just sucks slogging through 4–6.)

Swordsage: The ultimate ninja. Many powerful combat abilities that fit into the fighting style of a ninja assassin martial artist. Deals lots of extra damage and has a plethora of abilities that increase mobility and enable sneak attacks. Very strong for melee rogues, even if you only take one level. May be subject to multiclass xp penalties if you use that rule.

Elocater: Psionic class that lets you levitate at will and gives you powers based on teleportation and movement, as well as advancing psionics. Has a cooperative strike ability instead of sneak attack. Improves flanking. Gives you Teleport and Plane Shift as 3rd level powers. Lots of fun. Requires a level of psion or another manifesting class.

Fatemaker: Gives you spellcasting, bonuses to Charisma, and some abilities themed around luck and fate. Good for the party face.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2016-11-16 at 02:36 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Trapsmith: Trap master. Loses some sneak attack damage, gains powerful spells for combat and dungeoneering, can make nifty traps. Quite strong.

Assassin: Loses skill points. Gains instant death attacks and spellcasting that greatly enhances sneak attacks, stealth, and subterfuge.

Avenger: Slightly weaker version of the Assassin with different alignment requirements.

Slayer of Domiel: Good-aligned version of the Assassin with tweaked abilities and divine spells.

Temple Raider: Olidammara-themed divine-casting rogue. Loses skill points, gains useful dungeoneering spells. Not as good as Trapsmith, but still cool.

Eye of Xanathar: Gain a freaky eyeball that gives you Beholder powers, improves your perception and scouting abilities, and allows you to make melee sneak attacks under any conditions (no flanking or flat-footing required). Slower sneak attack progression.

Life Eater: Eat souls. Gain powerful death-related spell-like abilities and deliver negative levels and bleed damage with your sneak attacks. Evil.

Urban Savant: Know everything about your enemies. Literally peek at their statblocks and look at their stats. At higher levels, you can give your whole team buffs with a Knowledge check. Also gives you spellcasting and wild empathy and stuff. Designed for bards, but works great for any skill monkey. Requires a level in an arcane spellcasting class. No sneak attack progression.

Shadowbane Stalker: Good-aligned divine sneak attacker. Gives you divine spellcasting and bonuses to stealth and stuff. Pretty strong. Requires a level of cleric.

Unseen Seer: Arcane sneak attacker. Advances sneak attack and arcane spellcasting. Cast as a wizard while also being a rogue. Also pretty strong. Requires a level of wizard, sorcerer, beguiler, etc.

Umbral Disciple: Gives incarnum-based abilities that provide constant concealment, let you hide in plain sight, and other nifty things. Slower sneak attack progression. Requires an essentia pool. It's common to take only the first 3 levels of this class, because the first 3 levels are great and the next 3 levels after that offer almost no benefits. (7+ is fine, but it just sucks slogging through 4–6.)

Swordsage: The ultimate ninja. Many powerful combat abilities that fit into the fighting style of a ninja assassin martial artist. Deals lots of extra damage and has a plethora of abilities that increase mobility and enable sneak attacks. Very strong for melee rogues, even if you only take one level. May be subject to multiclass xp penalties if you use that rule.

Elocater: Psionic class that lets you levitate at will and gives you powers based on teleportation and movement, as well as advancing psionics. Has a cooperative strike ability instead of sneak attack. Improves flanking. Gives you Teleport and Plane Shift as 3rd level powers. Lots of fun. Requires a level of psion or another manifesting class.

Fatemaker: Gives you spellcasting, bonuses to Charisma, and some abilities themed around luck and fate. Good for the party face.
    Those are really great prestige classes. The only classes that's closest and doesn't require much requirement is the Swordsage or Fatemaker. I'll choose the Swordsage.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_McSnatch View Post
    Be melee. Rogues are not ranged characters, no matter what the books tell you. If you're a drow, you might consider dipping Swashbuck and fighter. 3 levels swashbuckler will give you weapon finesse for free, and int as a damage bonus. Drow even have racial levels for both those classes that would benefit a melee rogue a whole lot. Drow fighter gets an initiative bonus and dex to damage against flat-footed foes at level 1, and Drow Swashbuckler lets you take a 5 foot step after hitting with two weapons, but that one is at 7th level. Better to supplement more rogue levels. Don't do drow rogue. Poison use isn't nearly as useful as trapfinding.
    Boo, hiss! My ranged rogue is good!

not really :p

Seriously, though, yeah, Melee is mandatory for rogues. Crossbow feats get you sneak attack die on crossbows, but short of a feat-heavy game, you can't really do much of it.
    Hi, I'm Linken.
    I make mouse-drawn stick-figures in a 100x100 square in Microsoft Paint.

Spoiler: Here's one I made earlier.
    Show

If you want one, ask.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Damn, and here I was hoping Savage Drow would be an actual alternate race for Drow.
    Hmm . . .
    With the death of their spider goddess, drow civilization was scattered through the Underdark, some even making their way to the surface to escape the terrible vengeance of they they long enslaved. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

24. - Top - End - #24

Flumph

Quickdraw and two weapon fighting let's you throw daggers at range when you win initiative and they're still flat footed, or when a wizard casts grease on them or whatever and also melee it up by flanking afterwards.

Also, if playing 3.5 (this doesn't work in PF) and if your DM allows it (some don't) you can do ranged touch sneak attacks with Alchemists' Fires, Acid Flasks, Holy Water, etc. (more applicable in higher levels after you can get a handy haversack or something, can afford to carry many of them and/or can convince a spellcaster buddy to craft them for you (or craft them yourself if your DM allows you to (many do) ) but they might still come in handy in early levels).

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by radthemad4 View Post
    Quickdraw and two weapon fighting let's you throw daggers at range when you win initiative and they're still flat footed, or when a wizard casts grease on them or whatever and also melee it up by flanking afterwards.

Also, if playing 3.5 (this doesn't work in PF) and if your DM allows it (some don't) you can do ranged touch sneak attacks with Alchemists' Fires, Acid Flasks, Holy Water, etc. (more applicable in higher levels after you can get a handy haversack or something, can afford to carry many of them and/or can convince a spellcaster buddy to craft them for you (or craft them yourself if your DM allows you to (many do) ) but they might still come in handy in early levels).
    Nice combo. Anyway. I'm going to start making my male Drow rogue character sheet unless if somebody else have any suggestions?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Nice combo. Anyway. I'm going to start making my male Drow rogue character sheet unless if somebody else have any suggestions?
    Some light reading material
    The Rogue Handbook

Drow have some interesting Spell Like Abilities that can somewhat be useful to deal with. Here is a post that shows what you can do with them.
    Drow Fighter Utility Caster

If you have a build idea in mind (class levels, feats, possible equipment) you could post it here and get even more guidance.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm confused, are you somehow implying that small children don't inherently already have the class "rogue"?

Because saying "rogue child" is redundant if my experience with children has been any indication.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    "Insert God Name"'s + "Insert Offensive Body Part".
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    It is always ok to start in a tavern.
    as long as the tavern is ON FIRE.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    I'm confused, are you somehow implying that small children don't inherently already have the class "rogue"?

Because saying "rogue child" is redundant if my experience with children has been any indication.
    I don't know what you mean by that. Can you explain a bit more please?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground

I don't know what you mean by that. Can you explain a bit more please?
    I've come to the conclusion that every child in the real world has at least 5 levels in rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Koo Rehtorb View Post
    "Insert God Name"'s + "Insert Offensive Body Part".
    Quote Originally Posted by ImNotTrevor View Post
    It is always ok to start in a tavern.
    as long as the tavern is ON FIRE.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that every child in the real world has at least 5 levels in rogue.
    Ok...but this is an RPG game. Not real life. I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything but I don't know how you compared a child in the real world and a game. Also the Male Drow Rogue that I creating in Level 1.