New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Thanksmasnewyearskwanzakkah 2016

The days are shortening and the air is turning colder, harvests have been gathered as have families. It is time for the yearly Thanksmasnewyearskwanzakkah celebration to begin. This year it was being hosted by the drow of Delmah Phor. The public thoroughfares have been strung with colorful lights and dancing faerie fire. On street corners, sculptures of ice have been erected. Homes have been hung with colorful streamers in various family colors.

The Xar’Cha Palace was lined in thousands of points of light, constantly shifting through a rainbow of colors, first white, then blue, then green, to dark red. Banners of blue and gold hung from every possible place, depicting the spider on its web of House Xar’Cha. Across the central square the administrative building was more traditionally decorated, hung with garlands of pine and holly, ribbons of red and green, and bells and candles in gold and silver.

Everywhere, it gently snowed, putting a hush in the air and lending a festive atmosphere to the entire enclave.

Spoiler: Locations
    Show

Spoiler: Central Square
    Show
    Giant Spruce

A massive spruce tree has been erected on the center spider mosaic of the open stone court. It was decorated with equally large adornments, glass ornaments large enough to stand in, candy canes big enough to hug, pillar like candles burning with faerie fire of all colors of the rainbow. A spiral staircase, its carpet a plush ruby red, wound its way up to the top of the tree. Every story, there were platforms hidden among the boughs of the tree, the giant ornaments held small seating areas. Tables laden with drinks and snacks adorned every other level, things getting sweeter the higher you climbed. The very top was an observation deck hidden in the hem of the skirt of the magnificent golden angel that adorned the top of the tree. From here, the entire city could be seen, spread out below.

Santa’s Throne

At the base of the tree, sitting on a platform made of colorfully wrapped gifts was a giant throne of plush red velvet and gilded wood. On the seat sat a simple winter cap, conical and red, trimmed in white rabbit fur, and decorated with a single sprig of holly. The hat was enchanted to fit anyone who picked it up and put it on. Whoever wore it would be the official Thanksmas Santa. Nearby was a long suffering drow dressed in green and red, there to help direct small children and to help in passing out presents.

Spoiler: Xar'Cha Palace
    Show
    Throne Room

The doors of the palace have been opened to the fashionable elite of the Nexus. The decorations inside were more elegant and subdued, and heavily featured the blue and gold spider insignia of House Xar’Cha. The throne room was half filled with round tables, dressed in deep blue cloth and set with golden flatware. A long buffet table was set with food, staffed by drow in blue and gold livery. More liveried drow circulated the room, passing out hors d'oeuvres and drinks in tall fluted glasses. From a hidden balcony came live music, including strings and horns and a piano. The floor before the throne was open for dancing, and drow in elegant costumes danced and twirled over the space.

Sitting Room

A small sitting room, decorated in white and icey blue, was open for more intimate conversations. A warm fire glowed in the hearth, and a marble table was set with an enchanted set of plates and cups. Delicate porcelain, decorated with a mushroom pattern in blue, held carafes of coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, and plates of small treats, both sweet and savory. Magically, they would never empty, and when the cups and plates were placed back on their respective trays they would become clean again.

Gardens

Out back were the gardens, filled with twisting paths and high hedges, leading to differently themed areas. One was a perfectly maintained rose garden, filled with flowers of deep blue and brilliant gold. Another was a Japanese style, with bamboo, small maples, and a bridge leading over a small frozen pond. A third held mushrooms of all sorts, some small and glowing, others colorful and fragrant, some as tall as trees. Stretched between them were delicate spiderwebs, coated in tiny ice crystals.

Spoiler: Other Locations
    Show
    Market Street

Colorful lights were strung across the broad avenue that ran north to south in Delmah Phor. The entire street was clogged with vendors from all over the Nexus selling their wares. Street food from every realm was represented, from various meats-on-sticks and meat in a bun, to soups and hand held wraps. Men and women of all races bought and sold goods, from jewelry to silks to weapons and armor.

Park

In the park, thick drifts of snow have been shoveled away from walkways, where couples and families could walk and enjoy the night air. The ponds have all frozen over and a few entrepreneurs were renting out ice skates. A stall sells fresh donuts and hot spiced cider, the heavy scent of cinnamon and nutmeg filling the nearby air. In a clear area near the forest, snow has been piled up into a big hill for sledding. Children were lining up to ride down it, using anything they could, some had pieces of wood, and even trash can lids. A big red sled was parked here too, with black leather tack and silver bells adorning it. Tied to it were eight reindeer, standing and waiting, patiently suffering under the attention of excited children. An elf, dressed in shades of green, fed them apples and carrots to keep them happy.
    Last edited by Artemis97; 2016-11-22 at 11:23 PM.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Thanksmasnewyearskwanzakkah 2016

A sprite, who may be familiar to those who frequent The Wall, flutters in lazily. Cirrus has swapped out her usual gray hoodie for an ugly Thanksmasnewyearskwanzakkah sweater. She gazes around for a few minutes, before spotting Santa's Throne and rushing over to put on the hat.
    "Ho, ho, ho, ho! I am Santa!"
    Resisting the urge to say "Bow to me, puny mortals!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

A sleigh approaches, bells jingling as it soars through the air, pulled, of course, by magical (rein)deer. It sweeps through the central square and spirals down around the Thanksmas Spruce.

It's not Santa, who is clearly on the holiday throne. Just Leah, dressed in a puffy winter jacket and hat. And her boyfriend Mist. And her 'little sister' Anchor. And her squire Koshal. And probably his dog Faye. The sleigh is a little more crowded than usual, that is to say. As soon as it lands, she springs out to help the deer out of their harnesses.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A veritable gaggle of goblins have appeared in the drow enclave, as they always do for Thanksmas. Goblins and one woblin, to be specific. The little goblins scatter all over the place, while the woblin sticks close to his mother as he watches for any of his friends.

A small wolf pack is also wandering around, compelled by Thanksmas magic to offer holiday pets and snuggles to everyone.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Koshal kind of flops out, finally able to breathe. That sleigh really isn't built to fit four. Maybe five humans, but Lady Leah is a big person. Mist might have had to sit on her just a bit to avoid pushing Anchor and Koshal against the sides. Koshal quickly recovers and goes to offer his Lady his hand and help her down, but she's already sprung out, so the offer is extended to Anchor instead.

Mist hops down and helps him undo the Anders' harnesses.
    "Oh, you two are too kind. You have fun now, don't mind us." says Mrs. Anders, nuzzling her not-daughter-in-law (really Mist dear, when is that going to happen?) in a way that makes Mist only slightly uncomfortable.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

6. - Top - End - #6

Default [Central Square]

Yes, just to avoid crowding the others >.>
    Anchor takes the squire's hand and steps down carefully. Not that she needed help.
    "Thank you, Koshal."
    She flashes the squire a grin.

"Of course, Mrs. Anders. I'll try not to be any trouble this year!"
    Leah steps over to find Mist, her eyes drifting up to the giant tree. Sure, there are lots of them near home, but they're always a surprise to see up close.
    "Are you hoping for anything this Thanksmas?" A gift, a happening, a resolution for the new year?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    A veritable gaggle of goblins have appeared in the drow enclave, as they always do for Thanksmas. Goblins and one woblin, to be specific. The little goblins scatter all over the place, while the woblin sticks close to his mother as he watches for any of his friends.

A small wolf pack is also wandering around, compelled by Thanksmas magic to offer holiday pets and snuggles to everyone.
    Cirrus swoops down from the throne to greet one of the goblins.
    "Ho, ho, ho! Merry Thanksmas!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The goblin Cirrus lands down in front of appears to be a young girl of eleven or twelve years in age. She's much smaller than a human that age would be, of course. Her skin is light grey, her hair is brown and braided and there's a pair of big, orange eyes between her toque and scarf. There's a drone floating behind her.

Spoiler
    Show

"Hi, Santa!" she says, with a big, toothy grin.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The goblin Cirrus lands down in front of appears to be a young girl of eleven or twelve years in age. She's much smaller than a human that age would be, of course. Her skin is light grey, her hair is brown and braided and there's a pair of big, orange eyes between her toque and scarf. There's a drone floating behind her.

Spoiler
    Show

"Hi, Santa!" she says, with a big, toothy grin.
    "Hello, and merry Thanksmas! What's your name?"
    The drone could probably take Cirrus in a fight.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Central Square

Mist puts an arm around Leah, leaning against her tiger back but not putting his whole weight on her. He's always afraid that he'll hurt her, as even after a year and a half he isn't sure how much weight a tiger can hold. He thinks about what his mother said.
    "For now, I'll settle with a quiet Thanksmas with you. But I'll let you know if I think of anything." is giving someone a Ring customary when she has a "sister" who metaphorically represents one?

"You're welcome Lady Anchor." says Koshal, still a bit confused by Message and all her Charities. Mr. and Mrs. Anders bound off to see the sights of the elves.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm Brinika!" the girl proclaims. "Aren't you waiting on your throne this year?"

12. - Top - End - #12

Default [Central Square]

You know Mist, your mother will just keep being like this. If she's not suggesting you should be married already, it'll be suggesting that they ought to have grandchildren, or that you need to start dating again (as appropriate).
    "That will be nice. Why don'- let's go see the gardens."

Anchor chuckles.
    "You don't need to call me 'Lady'. 'Miss Anchor' if you have to. Did you celebrate Thanksmas back at your old home?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

"I'm Brinika!" the girl proclaims. "Aren't you waiting on your throne this year?"
    Shoot, the throne! This Santa stuff is hard....
    "Oh. Yes. I just came down to greet you! Come with me!"
    Cirrus guides Brinika back to the throne, where she takes a seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Brinika scurries after Cirrus and climbs into his lap. She then falls deep into thought, as her ears twitch.

"Can I get a toy that's like a beetle I can ride? I've always wanted to see what it's like, but my parents won't let me have a beetle. So could I get a mechanical one?"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Brinika scurries after Cirrus and climbs into his lap. She then falls deep into thought, as her ears twitch.

"Can I get a toy that's like a beetle I can ride? I've always wanted to see what it's like, but my parents won't let me have a beetle. So could I get a mechanical one?"
    Beetles are mean. They used to chase Cirrus when she sat down for a rest. :(
    "Why, certainly! A mechanical beetle that can be ridden."
    Cirrus removes a notepad and pen from her pocket and scribbles down the request, hoping to give it to Brinika's parents later.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Central Square

Mist nods, getting off Leah to stand on his own feet. "Sounds good. What do you think elf gardens look like?" he asks.
    Meanwhile,
    "No, we didn't really have a winter holiday back home. We just had snow. It made everyone wet. And kind of smelly."
    A village of damp furry people does sound rather unfortunate.

((PS Socks, Nexus tradition dictates that whoever is the present Santa of the Thanksmas thread has a magic bag capable of granting Thanksmas present wishes))

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

[Central Square - Santa's Throne]

The drow dressed in red and green produces a large box, blue with an orange ribbon. Inside, should the paper be torn away, is a rideable mechanical beetle, styled after a Rhinoceros beetle in purple and green, with a large branching horn that could be used to hold onto and steer.

((Anyone can control the helpful, long suffering drow elf, in order to distribute presents.))
    Last edited by Artemis97; 2016-11-25 at 11:41 PM.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

[Giant Spruce]

A small blue Rein kitty lounges atop the observation deck railing, tail flicking slowly and eyes half-closed.

[Santa's Throne]

'Maria' arrives. She's a pretty normal dark haired, female human woman in her thirties. Totally normal. Seems to be thoroughly enthralled by the massive and dry looking book she's reading though, despite standing in the Santa line.

[Throne Room]

A blue tailed, pink eyed catgirl glides gracefully into the room wearing a scarlet Thanksmas dress. Leah glances around the party, frowning just slightly. Rachel was supposed to join her at least, but she didn't seem to be here yet. More time for her to mingle then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Brinika gasps.

"Thanks Santa!" she squeaks and hops onto the beetle. She then rides away to make room for the next person.

[Throne Room]

Leah is approached by Fayyaad the tiefling, wrapped in a festive green vest and hat, this time.

"Merry Thanksmas, miss."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

[Giant Spruce]

Mick has wandered into the celebration. He has a messenger bag strapped onto his back, and a plaid scarf wrapped around his neck. He doesn't seem dressed for the cold or particularly bothered by it. He has a small notepad and pen taking notes as he seems to be on a mission to try every type of food available in the tree. He even discretely licks one of the giant candy canes to see if they are really candy.
    Check out My Writing
    New
    prestige class

Thanks for the Nude Avatar MethosHazara

Poem by me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stars glimmer
    and I can't help
    but wonder.
    Do they cry on those worlds,
    to?

21. - Top - End - #21

[Central Square]

"They're probably very complicated, all sorts of different plants, you know? Not like a food-growing garden at all."
    And off they go to the palace gardens.
    The blue roses at least will be a surprise.

Anchor offers Koshal a little bag that clinks with coins within.
    "You ought to go see the market. There's all sorts of odd crafts and special foods for the season. I mean, if you can handle walking all that way yourself." That was a joke, at both of their expenses. Don't be too mad, Koshal. Now, when they get back to the fort there'll be a roast many-legged thanksmas turkey for them all, but that's at the end of the day, and there's equally delicious festival food here.

"And when you're done looking around there, do see Santa. He's sort of the office of Thanksmasnewyearskwanzakka. The spirit of giving, thankfulness, and new beginnings."
    Then she runs off, up the spiral stairs of the spruce tree.
    Of course, Koshal doesn't have to take her advice at all, he could even follow along.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Brinika gasps.

"Thanks Santa!" she squeaks and hops onto the beetle. She then rides away to make room for the next person.
    "No problem! Merry Thanksmas!"

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post

[Santa's Throne]

'Maria' arrives. She's a pretty normal dark haired, female human woman in her thirties. Totally normal. Seems to be thoroughly enthralled by the massive and dry looking book she's reading though, despite standing in the Santa line.
    She.... seems a little old....
    Cirrus, don't judge, you're the size of a Barbie doll.
    Cirrus waves, inviting Maria to come up to the throne.
    "Ho, ho, ho! Merry Thanksmas!"
    Last edited by Black Socks; 2016-11-27 at 02:06 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Giant Spruce

Mia is here as well, the High pristress holds a hot drink in her hand as she stands there in a brown long winter coat. She isn't used to the cold season since it doesn't really happen in her home world.
    She stays at the bottom of the tree to avoid the much much to sweet candies. It's near the only way to avoid an addiction.
    Last edited by Zefir; 2016-11-28 at 07:40 AM.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Central Square

"Do you know much about gardening? I mean, I know full-you must, since she's busy making her own little world with plants and everything. But uh, yeah. I don't know the first thing about gardens. "
    Except maybe that his parents might be tasting the ones at the Fort when nobody's looking.

Meanwhile, Koshal takes Anchor's bag with a nod and a "Thank you." before wandering into the market to look for sweets.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

[Market Street]

Koshal will find a variety of sweets being sold from stalls on the Markest Street. There's hand dipped chocolates. Buns filled with sweet and savory fillings, of note the sweet mushroom paste a favorite of the locals. Jars of candied fruit are being sold at another stall, each one tied with a colorful ribbon, perfect for gifting. One small, dark woman has drawn quite a crowd, as she's using a blow torch to manipulate raw sugar in different colors to make sculpted lollipops in requested designs. She's presently working on a unicorn for a young drow girl.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

[Throne Room]

Leah grabs the sides of her dress and gives a curtsey to Fayyaad. "And a Merry Thanksmas to you as well good sir." So much proper.

[Santa's Throne]

Santa seemed... a little small. Well, that's for the best really. Now 'Maria' won't have to indulge in that ridiculous and awkward lap sitting ritual. 'Maria' does approach the chair, after bookmarking her place in what she was reading.

"Salutations temporally current Santa and, uh, Merry Thanksmas. I would like to formerly request a series of replacement library cards. Due to unfortunate and undesirable circumstances, I have lost access to these bastions of knowledge and wish to reinstate my position as a utilizer of these resources, yet lack the necessary funds to accomplish this due to the aforementioned circumstances. Might you be able to assist me?"
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2016-11-28 at 02:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

[Throne Room]

Fayyaad is a little surprised by such a formal greeting, but he responds with a proper bow. He's got used to the Nexus' notorious informality, but he's still an aristocrat.

"You look more familiar with the celebration than I was a year ago, when I first visited it. My name is Fayyaad ibn Haashid Al-Zafar. But just Fayyaad is fine."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    [Santa's Throne]

Santa seemed... a little small. Well, that's for the best really. Now 'Maria' won't have to indulge in that ridiculous and awkward lap sitting ritual. 'Maria' does approach the chair, after bookmarking her place in what she was reading.

"Salutations temporally current Santa and, uh, Merry Thanksmas. I would like to formerly request a series of replacement library cards. Due to unfortunate and undesirable circumstances, I have lost access to these bastions of knowledge and wish to reinstate my position as a utilizer of these resources, yet lack the necessary funds to accomplish this due to the aforementioned circumstances. Might you be able to assist me?"
    Ok, children definitely don't speak like that. But what can I do? Threaten to put her on the Naughty list?
    "Um. Yes. Library cards, you say?"
    The long-suffering drow runs off and returns a few minutes later with a stack of library cards and a pen.
    "Name, please."
    Spoiler
    Show

Gone like the wind.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Market Street

Koshal stares, dumbfounded. He doesn't even know where to go! He hasn't ever seen so many sweets. He's never even really seen sweets. Uncle Krayger has given him candy during visits, but he never really got much at the Fort. He just sort of drifts to one of the stalls, ogling the wares.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

[Market Street]

Koshal ends up in front of the stall selling small hand made chocolates. Rows of little shelves hold clusters of chocolates behind panes of glass. Each group bears a small sign declaring the flavor within. Plain lumps of milk chocolate had vanilla fillings. Small squares drizzled with dark chocolates were caramels. A tiny twist of candied orange peel denoted orange flavored dark chocolates. A splash of edible gold paint on a thin square were toffees. A red dot of icing on some larger round ones were cherry cordials. The woman behind the cart smiles at Koshal. "See anything you'd like to buy?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel