New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Non-Traditional Forest Guardian?

I need a creature to serve as a guardian for an area of northern wilderness. Ideally I'd like a creature with a deep connection to the forest, with an innate drive to protect the landscape and especially the trees.

A dryad would be the obvious choice, so I'd like something which is non-obvious, even a bit off-the-wall, but which makes sense for the creature in question. I'd like this to be relatively low-level, maybe in the CR 3-5 range. What could I use here?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: Non-Traditional Forest Guardian?

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I need a creature to serve as a guardian for an area of northern wilderness. Ideally I'd like a creature with a deep connection to the forest, with an innate drive to protect the landscape and especially the trees.

A dryad would be the obvious choice, so I'd like something which is non-obvious, even a bit off-the-wall, but which makes sense for the creature in question. I'd like this to be relatively low-level, maybe in the CR 3-5 range. What could I use here?
    Psychic pack of wolves. Each has a different class based on their roles in the pack.
    No transforming into humans. Just a roving pack of really unpleasant and punk-like awoken wolves. Bandits really. The party is standing in their turf. They peed on the trees, the party did not. Get the heck out.

Can be replaced with bears, monkeys, or any other animal of choice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If 3.5 material is allowed, the Rune Golem (Dragon 343 p.45) is a construct made by druids that they set to protect important nature sites while they're off doing druid things. The golems are made of wood and bone and covered in runes they can activate to curse people, web people, or tree walk.
    Goblin in the Playground

Most 3.5 thing I've ever seen: RAW on RAW. Love you, Curmudgeon.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DMVerdandi View Post
    Psychic pack of wolves. Each has a different class based on their roles in the pack.
    No transforming into humans. Just a roving pack of really unpleasant and punk-like awoken wolves. Bandits really. The party is standing in their turf. They peed on the trees, the party did not. Get the heck out.

Can be replaced with bears, monkeys, or any other animal of choice.
    You could even take this in the direction of prey animals. Like a pissed off herd of caribou, or a giant dire moose.

A hive mind swarm of lemmings even.
    Guides
    Monk dipping for pathfinder druids, a mini guide
    Trapped Under Ice-Geddy2112's guide to the Pathfinder Winter Witch
    I contributed to this awesome guide to chaotic good

5. - Top - End - #5

Not super familiar with Pathfinder. I don't suppose it has stats for a sasquatch somewhere, does it? Very much a "northern forest protector".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrMotives View Post
    Not super familiar with Pathfinder. I don't suppose it has stats for a sasquatch somewhere, does it? Very much a "northern forest protector".
    The "formal" term is sasquatch.
    Extended Signature

Words of Wisdom from other Playgrounders:
    Quote Originally Posted by unseenmage View Post
    Like your own little harem of jealous wearable anime girls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterkerfuffle View Post
    I've seen horsemancers absolutely shred campaigns.

7. - Top - End - #7

Planetar

A kodama kami specifically exists to protect wild trees (or a single tree, or a grove). If you don't like the flavor, you can shift it around a little; 'forest guardian spirit' isn't exactly a unique concept. Has some similar tricks to dryads, but is very good at hit and run tactics, but is also possesses a good deal of curiosity.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Jsketchy
    If 3.5 material is allowed, the Rune Golem (Dragon 343 p.45) is a construct made by druids that they set to protect important nature sites while they're off doing druid things.
    This is excellent, thanks--perfectly thematic and very cool. The only problem is that it's roughly twice the CR I'm looking for. If there's a way to scale this down to about CR 4, it would be ideal.

Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph
    A kodama kami specifically exists to protect wild trees (or a single tree, or a grove)…. Has some similar tricks to dryads, but is very good at hit and run tactics, but is also possesses a good deal of curiosity.
    This one really grabs me--it's the right CR, has some thematic abilities and has just the right feel. If there isn't an easy way to scale down the rune golem, then the kodama kami would be great.

And here's a question: would the kodama kami be able to move without hindrance through its own entangle effect?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The answer you need is the Lorax...he speaks for the trees:)

but seriously. the rune golem and kami are great.. And even if it does not say they move through there own effect. you can rule it that way for flavor.

There is always the druid of the forest but may be a little to on the nose for this game.

Another thing I have done with a forest is had it spelled that if anyone messed with it and inevitable tracked them down. Not an immediate issue but brings their actions back later when they are not thinking about it. :)

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

It doesn't look like it, but it does have Tree Stride three times per day, which would be 18 teleports. Charm Animal could also get it some flying friends to harass PCs. Keep in mind some of it's abilities do not function when more than 120 feet from its ward.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

3.5, but, well, Warforged. There's even an Ironwood Body feat for them to be even more naturey and woody.

Add in a heaping helping of feral and you can have an entire society of the buggers.

There's also androids that love birds if you want to stick with pathfinder material.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2016-11-26 at 12:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide