New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 19343536373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1510
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Banned

Default Re: Dragon Ball Super

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    When will the characters stop being entertaining? If a TV just made characters you liked you would watch them forever repeat the same things, and never grow. Just forever the promise of change with no change.
    Or would you just prefer no change, and its promise is more of a distraction?

What makes the fights entertaining? If an automated algorithm could pump them out forever, would you watch them forever?
    For me it ran out in the lead up to this arc, which is why I haven't really been commenting here. I stopped watching some time before episode 90. I only picked it up last night to because it was a "special" and I wanted to see the new transformation. I don't plan to keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    When the fights and characters stop being entertaining. The power-scaling is a non-issue to me.
    So you stopped watching on Namek?

More seriously, power scaling wouldn't be an issue for me if every plot line wasn't "Character unlocks a whole new level of power that allows them to combat the enemy". You can't simultaneously tell me power scaling doesn't matter and then revolve your whole plot and almost all of your subplots around power levels.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2017-10-08 at 06:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

No Im genuinly interested. Like seriously how long could this last? Im curious how much this can interest you forever. Like in a scientific way.

I find a song I like and listen do it. I don't WANT it to go on forever. Eventually the instrument players will get exasperated and tired, and then even worse after that just disinterested.
    After a song is finished I go look for another song. I don't listen to the droning clangs of a bored, tired, and disitenrested orchestra and close off anybody who could tell me otherwise.

I agree with you. Life is too short for all of that.
    Whatever that length is, I'm positive its longer than my willingness to deal with you and this conversation.

Cya guys, I'm gone until the next episode.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #1293
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Whatever that length is, I'm positive its longer than my willingness to deal with you and this conversation.

Cya guys, I'm gone until the next episode.
    He wasn't even talking to you directly. You literally only posted so that you could be rude and say you didn't want to talk about it. You could have just...not talked about it.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    change and growth. Also making an entertaining fight is very subjective but even a poor series with great animation and solid choreography can likely be a decent watch, so yea if someone found the formulae for a perfect fight I would likely watch them.
    Fascinating.

Spoiler: Bit of a ramble
    Show
    And their growth is often "Get away from the main plot". And its reset after they are dragged back in. The only progressive growth would be nihilism or apathy, unless they are also static protagonists whos only interest is the acrual of more power.

Its almost like a scientific equation. If a single type of conflict dominates a entertainment media, and your not allowed to switch characters or perspectives, then that conflict will bloat out everything else. New characters must enter which leads to character bloat, or dropped and forgotten characters.

In a literal time sense, a character MUST die. Not like killing, but as in DIE. Because just time eventually runs out. Its just a unbreakable law of nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

5. - Top - End - #1295
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have a few key thoughts on the latest episodes. Y'know, the sort of thing this thread is for, instead of derailing existentialist nonsense?

First thought: Jiren is, despite the incredibly fun fight and fantastic tension during said fight, still completely boring to me. I totally get why people like him, of course, but he just hasn't clicked with me.

Second thought: There was mention by one of the characters (Beerus, maybe?) that Goku's energy when he went all Ultra Instinct was taken from the Spirit Bomb, and that's why it ran out so quickly. So, was this Super's version of the Spirit Bomb Super Saiyan? It certainly seems that way, and there's already some precedent for Super redoing things from the old movies.

Third thought: The last time Goku went Kaioken x20, unless I'm mistaken, was against Freeza, way back on Namek. During that fight, he kept upping the ante and being denied, until the Spirit Bomb was his last resort. Also during that fight, even the Spirit Bomb failed. Both fights also resulted in Goku, exhausted and next to defeated, unlocking a new, incredibly powerful state. I'm not saying it's a 1:1 comparison, but there are definitely a few callbacks to the Freeza arc. There are some similarities to the Battle of Gods arc, as well.

Fourth thought: I absolutely love Hit stepping in before the dust from Goku's attempt even settles. And when Jiren asks what he wants, Hit just replies "I'm working". Stone-cold, that guy.
    I do not think the way you think. If you try to apply your own mindset to the things I say, there will be miscommunications. If something I say seems odd to you or feels like it's missing steps, ask for clarification. I'm not some unreasonable, unknowable entity beyond your mortal comprehension, I'm just autistic and have memory problems.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Ettin in the Playground

Fascinating.

Spoiler: Bit of a ramble
    Show
    And their growth is often "Get away from the main plot". And its reset after they are dragged back in. The only progressive growth would be nihilism or apathy, unless they are also static protagonists whos only interest is the acrual of more power.

Its almost like a scientific equation. If a single type of conflict dominates a entertainment media, and your not allowed to switch characters or perspectives, then that conflict will bloat out everything else. New characters must enter which leads to character bloat, or dropped and forgotten characters.

In a literal time sense, a character MUST die. Not like killing, but as in DIE. Because just time eventually runs out. Its just a unbreakable law of nature.
    Well, while characters "have to die" eventually, I remember a specific conversation between Vegeta and Goku where Goku was asking Vegeta "Didn't you say we keep our youth until about 80 or so?", which would imply that they probably live well over a hundred years, I mean if it's 80 until you're no longer young, you can easily look at 2-3x that amount before they are old enough to die of old age, assuming an opponent doesn't kill them in such a way that the dragon balls(and now, the super dragon balls) can't resurrect them. With the kids being half saiyans, I imagine they'll still live to be about 140 or so, so I honestly don't think that's something we have to worry about, and I imagine it was mentioned specifically to put that idea to rest.

7. - Top - End - #1297
    Ettin in the Playground

When will the characters stop being entertaining? If a TV just made characters you liked you would watch them forever repeat the same things, and never grow. Just forever the promise of change with no change.
    Or would you just prefer no change, and its promise is more of a distraction?

What makes the fights entertaining? If an automated algorithm could pump them out forever, would you watch them forever?
    You are asking for a definitive answer that I can't give because I cannot predict the future. There are plenty of shows that just keep doing the same things that I watch. There are plenty I stopped watching because at a certain point I realized I was no longer being entertained anymore so I found something else to do.

Something which change has no merit on. If it stays the same without changing but still manages to grab my attention, then so be it. It has my attention. If its changing up its formula and constantly evolving but DOESN'T keep me entertained, so be it..I won't keep watching. And vice verse for staying the same and being boring vs changing and being interesting.

Same with fights. As long as they stay interesting and fun, yeah, I'll keep watching until it stops being fun. However I cannot definitively say when that will be because it hasn't happened yet.

Mind, this is a very general answer that applies to more than just Dragon Ball and I could give a more in-depth answer on Dragon Ball specifically, but I get the impression the general answer is of more interest/importance to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    So you stopped watching on Namek?
    Weirdly enough, I'm not a huge fan of Namek. Like...that and the Saiyan Saga were my introduction to DBZ but Namek and Freeza are my least favorite parts of Dragon Ball Z.

Quote Originally Posted by Anteros View Post
    More seriously, power scaling wouldn't be an issue for me if every plot line wasn't "Character unlocks a whole new level of power that allows them to combat the enemy". You can't simultaneously tell me power scaling doesn't matter and then revolve your whole plot and almost all of your subplots around power levels.
    You just described most action/battle anime.

More seriously I'd argue the plot doesn't revolve around power levels. That's a fan thing, not a show thing.
    Last edited by Callos_DeTerran; 2017-10-08 at 11:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Well, while characters "have to die" eventually, I remember a specific conversation between Vegeta and Goku where Goku was asking Vegeta "Didn't you say we keep our youth until about 80 or so?"
    You know, I can't believe it but Dragonball made me understand Dark Souls .
    I was about to say the existential dread of outliving his children would be there (If Goku wasn't a boring uninterested drone), but the Dragonballs remove all tension so just wish for immortality so no problem.
    Mind, this is a very general answer that applies to more than just Dragon Ball and I could give a more in-depth answer on Dragon Ball specifically, but I get the impression the general answer is of more interest/importance to you.
    Apreciate it.
    I guess I have more interest in how stories are done and structed then the story itself. It takes a VERY impressive story for me to "Forget the Puppateer" in a sense.
    I just find most stories way too predictable or executed poorly.
    I actually liked Dragonball Season 1. Quite allot, but then after it started turning battle shonnen thats when it lost 90% of its luster to me instantly. It was like squeezing a gag manga into a action manga.

Which is what ultimatly happened. All the best aspects of the show are the ones it doesn't focus on and makes all its characters either loosers or *******s in the process with no agency, or such levels of no tension it was just dull for me.
    You just described most action/battle anime.
    Makes most Shonnen utterly INTOLERABLE to me. I can count literally on my hands I have seen this formula work:

Shaman King: It entertained me as a kid and was my first Shonnen story in a country that didn't have access to allot of anime at the time. I watched it to completion and was satisfied.
    Yu Yo Hakusho: It was my first Shonen I watched with a friend in college, and as an "Adult". It was fun, but I got bored after season 2.
    Gurren Lagan Season 1: Also worked for me but that was in many ways because of the fun environments and scaling felt more organic with robots. But season 2 was a drag, and not structured properly.
    Kill La Kill: I dunno. Something just about the energy and fun, and less of a focus on just KILLSMASH, made it very VERY entertaining. I actually liked the climax where everybody worked together to stop the transmitter way more then the showdown in space.
    A little condescending

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Ettin in the Playground

Apreciate it.
    I guess I have more interest in how stories are done and structed then the story itself. It takes a VERY impressive story for me to "Forget the Puppateer" in a sense.
    I just find most stories way too predictable or executed poorly.
    See, I can't consume my entertainment in such a manner in the sense that I'm constantly looking 'at the puppeteer' so to speak. It sucks all the emotion and fun out of it to constantly be peeking behind that curtain.

Especially when I've read/watched a few stories that I can objectively say were very smart if not brilliant...but I was bored to tears because the actual story was dry and unappealing. Nevermind mind shows/books I can objectively say are kind of mediocore if not outright bad but they manage to entertain me far more than the more technically sound works they are compared to. I can't even really say why I am that way or how I judge a story to see on which side it falls, its very much a gut instinct most of the time.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #1300
    Titan in the Playground

Kill La Kill: I dunno. Something just about the energy and fun, and less of a focus on just KILLSMASH, made it very VERY entertaining. I actually liked the climax where everybody worked together to stop the transmitter way more then the showdown in space.
    I were for a very large part amused by the they made show of fanservice. And all the dirty jokes. The fighting were then also done unusually well, and the characters were likeable. But its a show that could stand on its own without being carried by the action.

I think thats something it has in commen with Mob psyko 100 and One Punch Man.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Ettin in the Playground

It sucks all the emotion and fun out of it to constantly be peeking behind that curtain.
    I guess it depends on the person. I'm a mechanical guy who loves the sounds of machines over nature (Not that I dislike Nature and don't like it on its own), and Im just always analysing whats going on, and this gives allot of enjoyment as well.

But again its because I don't find most of what happens in front of the curtain good enough to make me forget. But when I do I like it allot. Like tons. And it enters my staple of few rare things that I think are great.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    I were for a very large part amused by the they made show of fanservice. And all the dirty jokes.
    I can't really say that as stupid as it sounds. I have seen shows that had people wear more clothes be more fanservicy then this show. Its to do with the subconcious language for instance.

Like a person who says "Its great to see you" whilst seeithing with resentment and hate, its the same with this show.

It intentionally picks clashing and counterbalancing Fetishy stuff (OK we have those horns the japanese love so much, then Gloves, then High high Heel boots, then shoulder pauldrons, then SUSPENDERS with skirts) that serves to make it funny more then sexualized. The way characters act, camera movement and the poe facedness of everybody involved serves to make this more an amusing comedy action then a fanservicy show.

But its a show that could stand on its own without being carried by the action.
    Eh? I mean I liked the characters as well but they did well under CONFLICT.

I think thats something it has in common with Mob psyko 100 and One Punch Man.
    Not a fan of either. I watched 8 episodes and got bored of the whole thing and the world started to get too serious for its nonsensical nature plus the action was boring as tar.

I think what makes action interesting more then anything else is dance between characters, capabilities, scenariou, and environment. A big problem shonnen has is that it always tries to set fights in envrionmentless locations or just turns every scenario into a 1V1 brawl.
    A little condescending

12. - Top - End - #1302

BlackDragon

After all that hype and buildup....I find it hilarious that Jiren is STILL not going all out and bodied Goku.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Firbolg in the Playground

Honestly I'm glad. Super has been abusing the idea of new forms. Having it fail for once is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Troll in the Playground

Am I allowed one snarky joke?
    I don't think people should be using the phrase "whilst seething with resentment" in a post with so many grammar errors (including in the phrase itself).

But in order to avoid going off-topic...

Spoiler: Episodes 109-110
    Show

Transformation looks very nice, i'd even say this is better-looking than Blue.
    And I kind of have to agree with whoever was saying that Jiren has has still zero personality or backstory or anything. Makes him kinda boring, which is a waste: the first Super Saiyan transformation was *also* impactful because it happened while fighting Frieza, which we had gotten to know and fear over dozens of episodes.

Anyways: Hit should have exactly zero chances, as he's around Blue goku level, and not even silver goku was enough to match him.
    At the moment Jiren looks like he's on such a different power scale that every single other character just lost any importance. Like, why should I care about Piccolo or whoever fighting the robots from that other universe when Jiren can wipe everyone else with a thought?
    Which reminds me: Next episode better explain why Jiren doesn't wipe literally every other fighter within the next millisecond.

Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    I don't think people should be using the phrase "whilst seething with resentment" in a post with so many grammar errors (including in the phrase itself).
    I'm just wondering if you would be making the same snarky comments If I was instead singing Supers Praises. I tend not to see that many "Snarky comments" when something is recieving praise.

Outside of that Il take that as a suggestion, and work to improve my writing skills.
    A little condescending

16. - Top - End - #1306

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post

But in order to avoid going off-topic...

Spoiler: Episodes 109-110
    Show

Transformation looks very nice, i'd even say this is better-looking than Blue.
    And I kind of have to agree with whoever was saying that Jiren has has still zero personality or backstory or anything. Makes him kinda boring, which is a waste: the first Super Saiyan transformation was *also* impactful because it happened while fighting Frieza, which we had gotten to know and fear over dozens of episodes.

Anyways: Hit should have exactly zero chances, as he's around Blue goku level, and not even silver goku was enough to match him.
    At the moment Jiren looks like he's on such a different power scale that every single other character just lost any importance. Like, why should I care about Piccolo or whoever fighting the robots from that other universe when Jiren can wipe everyone else with a thought?
    Which reminds me: Next episode better explain why Jiren doesn't wipe literally every other fighter within the next millisecond.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hit has been holding back and training as well. I always figured he was above Goku, and for a while he clearly was, and has demonstrated that he can match if not exceed goku in gains in a short time. He's going to come at Jiren at Goku level, then will show just how much more powerful than him he is by exceeding what goku threw at him. I don't think it will be a two parter though since Jiren has shown that he isn't completely stupid. Jiren v Hit I'm predicting to be an episode and a half, with Hit taking an L. Hit not being rung out seems unlikely, since Jiren is going to slaughter his universe. Oh, and I know what Whis said, and I will still say no. No, Jiren is not the rumored fighter that a GoD can't defeat. Specially since the upper GoDs aren't overly concerned.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Am I the only one?
    Show
    I feel like I must be the only person who thinks that Goku is significantly stronger then Jiren now with his newest upgrade. Going by remarks from Whis and the other gods/fighters, it's clear that Goku isn't used to his new form and his acquisition of "Ultra Insticts", and despite that he was still keeping Jiren on his back foot. The ONLY reason why Jiren beat him is because Goku's energy became entirely depleted(He was just running on what he had absorbed from the Spirit Bomb). Once he recovers, maybe takes out a few smaller fighters and gets used to his new power and ability to use Ultra Instincts, he's going to go back up against Jiren and utterly wreck him. It would have already happened if, again, his energy hadn't ran out.

Which will in turn cause a lot of other fighters to possibly gang up against him, maybe even ring him out, thus paving the path to Android 17's dark horse win!(This last bit is just pure fantasy on my part, but the rest I firmly believe).

18. - Top - End - #1308

BlackDragon

Show
    I feel like I must be the only person who thinks that Goku is significantly stronger then Jiren now with his newest upgrade. Going by remarks from Whis and the other gods/fighters, it's clear that Goku isn't used to his new form and his acquisition of "Ultra Insticts", and despite that he was still keeping Jiren on his back foot. The ONLY reason why Jiren beat him is because Goku's energy became entirely depleted(He was just running on what he had absorbed from the Spirit Bomb). Once he recovers, maybe takes out a few smaller fighters and gets used to his new power and ability to use Ultra Instincts, he's going to go back up against Jiren and utterly wreck him. It would have already happened if, again, his energy hadn't ran out.

Which will in turn cause a lot of other fighters to possibly gang up against him, maybe even ring him out, thus paving the path to Android 17's dark horse win!(This last bit is just pure fantasy on my part, but the rest I firmly believe).
    Spoiler
    Show
    rewatch that match. Jiren is STILL sandbagging. Goku hasn't even gotten to the level of being a threat to Jiren, though he HAS shown that he has the potential to be. Plus, I agree with Grand Priest. We are NOT certain that Goku has that tech yet.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Barbarian in the Playground

Show

Spoiler: Not the only one.
    Show

You're right in two respects, Goku hasn't mastered the technique yet and if he were able to fight with his own energy he might be able to overpower Jiren. But, there is something else to Goku recovering, the Zenkai boost. Goku is hurting and low on energy, the perfect scenario for what I'd call the Saiyan race's greatest ability. That plus Ultra Instincts ought to let him manhandle Jiren after Hit fights him and wears him down a bit more.
    Last edited by leafman; 2017-10-09 at 09:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1310

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by leafman View Post
    Spoiler: Not the only one.
    Show

You're right in two respects, Goku hasn't mastered the technique yet and if he were able to fight with his own energy he might be able to overpower Jiren. But, there is something else to Goku recovering, the Zenkai boost. Goku is hurting and low on energy, the perfect scenario for what I'd call the Saiyan race's greatest ability. That plus Ultra Instincts ought to let him manhandle Jiren after Hit fights him and wears him down a bit more.
    Spoiler
    Show
    nope. Zenkai boosts stopped being a thing way back during the revival of F arc. Vegeta flat out states that for him and Goku the gains from it will be so minimal that it might as well be nonexistent. Hit will have to show power far above what Goku has, in order to make enough of a difference for Goku to win right now.

21. - Top - End - #1311
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HolyDraconus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    nope. Zenkai boosts stopped being a thing way back during the revival of F arc. Vegeta flat out states that for him and Goku the gains from it will be so minimal that it might as well be nonexistent. Hit will have to show power far above what Goku has, in order to make enough of a difference for Goku to win right now.
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're assuming it will just be Hit. The god tiers- Hit, Freeza, Gohan, Miss love, all tagging in and out to keep Jiren from being able to finish any one of them off.

And if Goku isnt killed by Freeza in that cliffhanger, there's still 6 sayans on the field. U6+U7 team up to create SSG Caulifla?

22. - Top - End - #1312

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    You're assuming it will just be Hit. The god tiers- Hit, Freeza, Gohan, Miss love, all tagging in and out to keep Jiren from being able to finish any one of them off.

And if Goku isnt killed by Freeza in that cliffhanger, there's still 6 sayans on the field. U6+U7 team up to create SSG Caulifla?
    Spoiler
    Show
    none of them are at Jirens level. Frieza and Gohan are at Vegeta level, for the most part. Ribriane isn't a threat, since Goku has been holding back against her pretty damn hard. Hit is the only one that is being shown to be able to do anything. Maybe if they all used the fusion dance, they would be able to do significant amount of damage. As is, no one is really at Jiren' s level.

23. - Top - End - #1313
    Titan in the Playground

I can't really say that as stupid as it sounds. I have seen shows that had people wear more clothes be more fanservicy then this show. Its to do with the subconcious language for instance.

Like a person who says "Its great to see you" whilst seeithing with resentment and hate, its the same with this show.

It intentionally picks clashing and counterbalancing Fetishy stuff (OK we have those horns the japanese love so much, then Gloves, then High high Heel boots, then shoulder pauldrons, then SUSPENDERS with skirts) that serves to make it funny more then sexualized. The way characters act, camera movement and the poe facedness of everybody involved serves to make this more an amusing comedy action then a fanservicy show.
    Gahh.. that was also a horribly mangled sentence. Should clearly not try and write english when tired. Anyway, meant more that they mocked/lampshaded the fanservice seen in other showns, than provide it themselves.

But back to DBZ. The recent talk about fusion has made me wonder, why are none of the weaker members not considering doing that? I recall Vegeta having sworn newer again to fuse with Goku, or something. But is there anything getting in the way of a Picollo/Gohan fusion? Or a Vegeta/Gohan one? besides it being to logical a move?
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    But back to DBZ. The recent talk about fusion has made me wonder, why are none of the weaker members not considering doing that? I recall Vegeta having sworn newer again to fuse with Goku, or something. But is there anything getting in the way of a Picollo/Gohan fusion? Or a Vegeta/Gohan one? besides it being to logical a move?
    Because outside of Portara fusion (which is likely banned), the only available fusion that Universe 7 team have access to is limited to two people of the same race and similar body/build. So basically Gohan/Goku...

25. - Top - End - #1315

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Because outside of Portara fusion (which is likely banned), the only available fusion that Universe 7 team have access to is limited to two people of the same race and similar body/build. So basically Gohan/Goku...
    Fusion dance has no limit on people. Or build. Just gotta match power.
    Last edited by HolyDraconus; 2017-10-10 at 07:50 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fusion Dance has a build limit because movements need to be exact mirrors. Goku and Vegeta's fusion is movie only and can't really be taken as possible just because of the height difference.

Still though, Roshi and Krillin are probably roughly in that height range. So are Gohan and Tien. A mystic tribeam would be ungodly terrifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    So, the double special episode. Goku vs Jiren. Funny that when DBS actually seems to work is when is directly ripping off his past. I felt Namek flashbacks all over this one. I mean, the whole Ultra Instinct thing is nothing new. Goku learned a similar concept to the whole "move before you think" thing decades ago from Mr. Popo.
    It's obviously another thing, but it feels redundant, almost as they got to a point where is incredibly hard to justify Goku STILL needing to learn something about fighting.

Ignoring my annoying need to complain no matter what, the special was actually fun to watch, thrilling for once. The new "transformation" is basic but cool and Jiren is still as blank as it gets but he's finally showing he's not all talk. He finally feels like a threat, a wall, something to look forward too. I liked his telepathic conversation with Vermouth too, it spiced things up for me. It left me wondering more about their relationship, maybe Vermouth is indeed directly controlling him somehow. I hope that it will be used as a stepping stone to deepen Jiren's character beyond the "Silent Badass, strong just because".

I don't have so many doubts about Hit's chances against Jiren as many here have. While Jiren is obviously above Hit, the guy is a killer for hire, he's used to face and dispose of people stronger than himself. The Story God dictates that Hit won't win, but he definitely has enough aces up his sleeve to be a challenge.

On the cliffhanger...I don't see any scenario where this isn't another fake-out. Considering all the Namek parallels in the special, and the phrasing of the last sentence ("This reminds me of what happened on Namek"), I have no doubts Freeza is actually trying to help in his own creepy way. He's either giving Goku his energy (as the latter did on Namek) or trying to trigger the Ultra Instinct transformation again. A fighter strong as Jiren is a huge problem for Freeza, if he intends to be the last one standing and to get his wish. If Goku manages to take him out, draining himself out in the process, that's a win-win for the Emperor.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Something I just realized...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The entire Jiren/Goku fight up till the reveal of Ultra Instinct Goku (and maybe a little after) was a COMPLETE REHASH of the first Freeza fight. So yeah takes some of the awesome out of it to basically know that its a compressed version of one of the most iconic Z fights.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jindra34 View Post
    Something I just realized...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The entire Jiren/Goku fight up till the reveal of Ultra Instinct Goku (and maybe a little after) was a COMPLETE REHASH of the first Freeza fight. So yeah takes some of the awesome out of it to basically know that its a compressed version of one of the most iconic Z fights.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say even after. If the Ultra Instinct reveal isn't a rehash of Goku's first Super Sayan transformation I don't know what it is. DBS is full of rehash/tributes/references to the original series. We even got Vegeta protecting Goku while he prepares the Genkidama, like in the Buu Saga.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Well yeah. Of course Jiren is similar to the Freeza fight. It fits the whole pattern of Super. as I've pointed out before:

Beerus/Whis parallels the arrival of Vegeta and Nappa, with two guys stronger than ever before coming to Earth and kicking all their asses.

Resurrection of F parallels Raditz in that its Goku and former enemy facing a singular alien come to kill them and that Goku gets a hole shot through the chest.

Hit is obviously a parallel to Guldo with his time-stopping

Goku Black parallels Captain Ginyu with his body stealing

while Universal Survival arc parallels the Freeza arc in that a lot of action is taking place in a small amount of time, Goku faces an unimaginably strong enemy greater than ever before seen that is in a league of their own and gets a new upgrade from doing so when all seems hopeless.

So obviously, the next arc is going to be Goten coming from the future warning everyone about magical super-soldiers coming to kill Vegeta after kicking Jiren's ass but not killing him. After a timeskip, the cell-parallel comes first and explains that the super-soldiers were formed by someone doing something bad to him and thus shattering parts of him into various aspects that are out of control and they must recombine them all back into him to save the day, the last shard is an Android 19 parallel who takes energy draining/absorption up to 11 and threatens to drain the entire Universe of energy, Vegeta repeatedly tries to keep his daughter Bra from fighting despite her eagerness because he is worried for her, but Bra defeats the bad guy, Vegeta realizes what a fool he has been and accepts her as a warrior in her own right.....but then it turns out the bad guy regenerates by draining energy somehow and Vegeta has to finish him off once and for all, thus saving the day, while Goku is so busy training to master his Ultra-Instinct, he misses the fight entirely and arrives too late
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".