New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Don't Go Down the Well! - Rappan Athuk [IC]

Kern fairly casually saunters up at Domino's call. Taking the other end of the rope, he nods to the rogue. "I'll get you out if need be. Just make some noise."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dwarf in the Playground

The door creaks open, and the already disgusting stench becomes overpowering. Some of you even become lightheaded at the smell. The door opens to another short hallway before branching out in a couple possible directions.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Roll a fort save! DC 10, and if you fall you take a -2 on all rolls until I say otherwise.

Also I've added a map that I'll be updating as you explore,you can check this doc under the tab "Level 1Map "

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Domino backs up, arm covering her face. "Oh boy...what is that smell? Any of you know?"

Show

As per google chat, a knowledge dungeoneering will do wonders here.
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Kern's eyebrows collapse almost comically. "I... feel like I should recognize that scent..." He shakes his head with a scowl.

"Should, being the operative term..."

Show
    (1d20+6)[11] know (dungeoneering)

As the door opens, Kern's eyebrows rise almost to his hairline. Almost immediately, the big guy begins retching- struggling to keep his gorge down. As the rest of the party moves forwards, he slides against the wall, visibly sickened.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vance studies the bloodstains more closely as Domino investigates the pit ahead, trying to piece what creature might have done the damage - and what did the bleeding.

Spoiler: Rolls from OOC
    Show
    Vance's Fort save vs stench: (1d20+5)[20] vs DC 10 or else sickened

Knowledge: Dungeoneering (untrained): (1d20)[10]

Heal to infer anything about the blood: (1d20+8)[17]

Quote Originally Posted by KevSaund View Post
    The door creaks open, and the already disgusting stench becomes overpowering. Some of you even become lightheaded at the smell. The door opens to another short hallway before branching out in a couple possible directions.
    Vance gags and turns away with a sleeve over his mouth as the revolting odor spikes up in intensity, but is able to keep his breakfast inside of his stomach - for now, at least. Eyes watering, he holds his illuminated spear aloft over the edge of the pit, looking down at the entrance Domino has discovered. He casts one look back the way they came, and the midmorning sunlight struggling to pierce through the gloom of the mausoleum above. "Well, that looks promising! Multiple hallways? I've got a dice for that, if you want to leave it up to Fate!"
    Spoiler: Active characters
    Show
    Waylan, Kestros and Auspice (Wrath of the Righteous)

Lydia (Age of Worms - loot tracking)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oghash notes the blood on the walls with the detached interest of one familiar with gruesome deaths. Once or twice she sniffs at them curiously before shrugging and continuing down into the pit. As the door is open she scoffs audibly, apparently unimpressed by the smell.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Success on anything besides a natural "1" - Fortitude Save vs DC 10: (1d20+10)[26]

"I don't much care which way we go - through the bones if you wish," she says, shrugging with disinterest at Vance's offer.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dr. Corvus's acute senses get to work as he tries to distinguish what might cause such a foul odor. There are obvious fecal overtones, but they seem otherworldly, and false somehow? Not illusory, as the effects on his companions are quite real, but it is as if whatever is causing the smell was only pretending to smell terrible. And there does seem to be a cause, as the smell gets worse as you get closer to it. It might even be possible to locate the source by following how strong or weak it is. For example it seems almost imperceptibly stronger towards the right branch of the forked tunnel.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

"So, does anyone really want to know what is making that smell?" Domino asks. She moves forward down the right tunnel for a short distance to see if the subject is obvious before returning to the group for a decision.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Perception - (1d20+9)[29]
    Stealth - (1d20+12)[28]

Move forward about 20 ft to see if the hallway leads to a room. Her goal is to not get caught, not necessarily to see.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129

NecromancerGuy

Oghash looks at Domino with a look of impatience when the other woman asks her question. "I am not here to investigate every bad smell - either lead us that way or take the other tunnel," she says, apparently unconcerned and unimpressed by the foul odor.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Through gasping breaths, Kern struggles to even respond to Domino's jibe. In the end, he settles for glaring at her back as she disappears down the right path.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vance idly flips a coin as Domino dissappears for a moment down the right-most passageway.
    (1d2)[2]
    "Huh, not what I expected." he remarks at the result, offering no other explanation as he pockets the coin again. "But that's half the fun of it, isn't it! I propose we follow Miss Domino to the right when she returns, as long as she hasn't uncovered any traps that would slay us all."
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Kern somehow manages to look more put-out, at the Half-Elf's flippant tone.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

Domino deftly moves down the corridor and encounters a small room. She stops at a door sized opening and sees that the room is strewn with bits of bones and loose dirt. A cool breeze blows by, and whispering can be heard off in the darkness. This room has several small piles of bones looted from the graveyard above. She also spots among the bones a rat corpse that has been eaten as if by acid and has some residual green slime. on the opposite side of the room is a closed wooden door. There is no obvious source of the smell, but her nose tells her she is getting closer.

She moves back to join the party, unscathed and unseen.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Kern looks up at the woman expectantly. With an air of oblivion, he gruffly breaks the silence- completely unaware or unconcerned for potential dangers alerted by such behavior.

"So? What'd you find?"

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

"Nothing worth dying for, and more than likely something that would kill us. Lets take the other path."

Turning back down the other direction, the rogue moves delicately as possible a head of the group.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show

Perception - (1d20+9)[28]
    Stealth - (1d20+12)[31]
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

NecromancerGuy

"He asked what you found - tell us! We deserve to know what is down there in case it comes here!" snarls Oghash at Domino as the other woman begins to skulk away. "If I am going to be the rearguard I need to know what might be coming..." she turns and scowls down the right tunnel suspiciously, holding her torch high and peering into the darkness.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Domino stops a moment to examine the orc. Her eyebrows furl as she twists her head to the side. "Ok, look. Let's not do the yelling thing. I found acid burned corpses covered in green slime. So...take from that what you will."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

NecromancerGuy

An audible growl begins in Oghash's throat but fades in a moment as she nods and looks down the tunnel apprehensively. "Lead on, then," she mutters as she follows behind the rest of the party.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Dwarf in the Playground

The party makes their way slowly down the left hand path. A short hallway branches off to the left, but it seems to be an unintentional result of some sort of seismic activity, rather than the worked hallway they are currently in. The worked passage opens into a small room. On the far end, near an archway leading to a passage beyond, rests a coffin without a lid. The passage beyond the archway seems to lead to a collapsed room. Floor to ceiling is nothing but rubble.

Show
    Map updated

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

"Looks like we have no choice but to face whatever slimed that other room. Doc, help me examine this coffin, and then we can let the meatshields lead us into glorious battle down the other hallway."

Show

Examine Coffin, then let Oghash/Kern lead back to room "1"
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

NecromancerGuy

At the word 'meatshields' Oghash scowls at Domina, but silently turns and leads the way back to the intersection leading to the first room. Once there she stops and waits, taking her time listening, looking, and smelling the air. "What sort of creature burns its prey with acid?" she mutters out loud, directing the question to anyone nearby as she continues to scour the tunnel. "Shall I go first this time?"

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vance looking on interestedly from the entrance to the room as Domino and the professor scour the area around the sarcophagus for anything of note. A silver coin dances along his fingers in an idle dexterity exercise, and more than once his lips purse as if to begin whistling before he recollects his better judgement with a sigh. "See anything?" he asks.

Show
    Still here! Don't have a ton to add while we're in scouting mode, but I'll try to chime in more frequently to at least register Vance's reactions.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

As Oghash scowls, Kern snorts, amusement dancing in his eyes. He looks over Corvus' shoulder while the odd arcanist moves up to inspect the sarcophagus, prepared to respond in-kind to any unforeseen violence. He turns aside as Oghash seems to hurry them from the chamber, but offers only a shrug as he dutifully follows.

With his long-hafted blade held at the ready, Kern skulks behind Oghash, brows furrowed in thought. "I don't know," he answers the HalfOrc. "Though I suddenly feel decidedly unprepared. These leathers won't keep me clean of any acid..." His expression shifts to mirror Oghash's pervasive displeasure, and his eyes scan the room warily.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

A thorough examination of the coffin finds nothing of interest. If there was anything worth stealing it was taken long ago.

The party enters the room at the other end of the path. Nothing has changed, except the rat corpse from before has been fully dissolved by the slime. The patch of slime itself seems to be fairly easy to avoid and doesn't directly block the path to the hallway beyond.

If the party ventures forth, they pass through a small hallway to another room beyond. Broken candelabras and a worm-ridden red carpet have been left long ago by the undertaker in this viewing room. There is a wooden casket in the center of the room that has had its once decorative silver trim rudely pried off. There is nothing of interest in this room. The casket is empty.

On the far side of the room is a stairway leading further down.

Show
    Pushing y'all through some of the boring rooms. If you go down the stairs I'll need a marching order.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vance snorts at the casket with the vandalized top, its contents obviously having been claimed by grave robbers long ago. "Not much to see, is there? Something tells me we're not the first group to come down these halls... Chaldira take it! If I'm risking my life I at least want the opportunity of a decent payout!" His assumes an air of patient suffering as he waits for the group to organize their movements beyond the room.

Spoiler: OOC: Marching Order
    Show
    I think we have been using something like this:
    Domino, ...(space)..., Kern, Corvus, Vance, Oghash

That still works for me, but others should correct me if they have different preferences.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

Domino waves her hand for the rest to pause.

"I'll check it out, be ready to come after me."

Show

Move down the stairs slightly ahead of the group. Checking specifically for trapped steps. Do not enter any rooms she finds, look in, but return to the group with information of what she sees. At that point, we'll let the meat shields go in front.

(1d20+12)[17] - Stealth
    (1d20+9)[11] - Perception (+1 more if traps)
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Domino carefully walks down the stairs, testing each one as she goes. she reaches the next floor down uneventfully.

Broken furniture is everywhere, and a skeleton sits in a large chair facing you. Red, poisonous-looking ants crawl all over the skeleton and chair. On the table with the skeleton is a deck of cards. A tapping sound emanates from the hallway.

28. - Top - End - #148

NecromancerGuy

Oghash waits at rear of the party, now looking back the way they came with a watchful eye. "Has she found anything? Why are we waiting?" she whispers impatiently.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Vance follows Domino with the others once it is clear there is no immediate threat. "That's... pleasant..." he offers to the grisly spectacle of the skeleton and the ants. "Poor fellow only wanted to play a game of Three Dragon Ante! Does anyone hear that odd tapping sound?" As the group examines the room, his gaze keeps returning to the deck of cards, the gambler inside him desperate for a look at what the dead man's hand would have been...
    Show

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

"Its...kind of clear. I'm not too sure I'd get too close to those ants..."

Domino steps about the room, searching for anything of interest. She notices Vance's interest in the cards. "I mean. If you have to you have to. But...be careful..."

Spoiler: Search
    Show

Perception - (1d20+9)[13] - Search room, and then locate tapping noise

Stealth - (1d20+12)[23] Stealth when looking for tapping noise...
    Last edited by Untarr; 2017-02-28 at 05:51 PM.
    Show