Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 82324252627282930313233

Thread: GLoG 91

1. - Top - End - #961
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GLoG 91

[Daycare]

It's the labcoat. Labcoats only come in two varieties: sinister and sexy. Or it could be the creepy child staring unblinkingly from under a cloak looking like she emerged from some television in a horror genre setting.

The man smiles and moves a hand away from his pocket. No need to pay then. That's the best option. "Good." The man turns to the quiet, patient child. "Wait here until I return." With that, he starts to leave. How succinct.

The child stares at Sophie.
    ~Classic Rein by Banjo1985
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok
    ...Nope. Nope, there's no way I'm competing with that. You win and I hate you, you magnificent bastard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

That's not ominous at all. Sophie's social worker alarms are now blaring at full volume, but she knows she has to proceed carefully and slowly uncover what's going on here.

"Welcome to Good League of Good's daycare," she simply says. "I'm Sophie, one of the caretakers here. What's your name?"
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Gulaghar and Ashen Lilies.

3. - Top - End - #963
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

The shadow stares at Sophie hesitantly. Sophie wanted it to share its name? Not many people used its name and even less wanted it to speak. But it was a direct question it can't just nod its head to and adults got mad if you don't answer their questions. Reluctantly, the shadow opened its mouth to reply.

While it is questionable whether Sophie has heard the genre since coming to the Nexus what with the lack of PC bands, imagine Sophie was attending a heavy metal concert. The speakers blare music at incomprehensible levels matched only by the fanatical war screams of the hundreds of fans packed into the overcrowded space. Now imagine if each of those fans surrounding Sophie were not fans at all, but in fact heavy metal concerts of their own right all playing simultaneously in an undesired level of surround sound. Except they aren't playing music. They're playing nails on a chalkboard. They're playing metal screeching and whining through a gigantic factory grinder. They're playing that moment of dread when your mother uses your full name.

This is the alarm clock the deep ones use when they wish to awaken. This is the sound that rends through the air in a shy, muted whisper for Sophie, barely audible as a concussive clash of conflicting volumes.

"Sasha," she murmured, then fell silent.
    ...Nope. Nope, there's no way I'm competing with that. You win and I hate you, you magnificent bastard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

It takes Sophie's considerable self-control to keep her expression friendly and level. What in the Prophet's name is going on here...? Well, for better or worse, it seems this entered Sophie's other area of expertise as well. She closes her eyes for a moment, and when she opens them, her vision sharpens, taking in the layer beyond the material reality eyes normally perceive. She looks at Sasha and tries to see what the child really is, but this way of seeing has never been very precise. Let's hope the Second Sight's effects also protect her from whatever it is she finds out.

"Alright then, Sasha. We'll be taking care of you today. Want me to show you a room?"

She manages to make it sound like normal conversation that she would have with any other child left in their care.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Gulaghar and Ashen Lilies.

5. - Top - End - #965
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sasha is confused by Sophie's reaction. Most people wince at the very least and fake a smile. Some light torches. Others just run. Well Sasha has seen many strange creatures. Flesh Dancer, the Forbidden Snack, the Mountain, Metal Dancer, the Monster of Monsters. Sophie had her own quirks. Like asking very strange questions. Like to... see a room? What's that even mean? She's seen rooms before after all. Well, best not to question the adult too closely. Sasha nods? It looks like it a little. Sophie might be distracted though, brazen enough to stare at Sasha's true form.

Crawling, scuttling, scurrying, creeping, clinging. Dozens, hundreds, thousands, maybe millions of tiny, slightly fuzzy black creatures with a single yellow eye crawled around where Sasha's eyes would be on her otherwise human face. If that were it, it would be easier to accept. Rather, her face was about the only thing that even looked remotely human. Pushing out from Sasha's back were two wings that looked to made of similar creatures, except it was more muted and solid, with much less visible scurrying of individual components. As if the wings were made of the husks of the dead ones. Exceptions were made for the four 'eyes' that adorned the wings in the exact same manner as the one's one Sasha's face, one on the back and one on the front of each wing. These wings stayed folded in, hugging her sides. Extending from her shoulders and under her cloak were these same critters, working together in a hive-like manner to form her 'arms', but it'd be more appropriate to consider them tendrils.

Poking out of the bottom of her clothes were further writhing tendril hives akin to Sasha's arms. Two of them were shorter than the rest and might even qualify as legs. The rest stretched out further and further into the ground and following them leaves Sophie staring deeper and deeper into an unending darkness. At some point Sasha ends in the Shadow Realm she's inexorably tied to, a void continuing into untold depths. It would be a despairing mercy if it were but emptiness Sophie peered into, but the fates are savage and the darkness Sasha lives in contains beasts, inhuman and nearly unimaginable, spread out across territory like any world. Stare too long and Sophie will find an unholy abomination far worse than the fusion of human and abyss that stands before her. There is no promise of protection from seeing that which should have never been seen.

It's ok to burn it with fire Sophie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sophie has seen a lot in her time. Both in the Nexus and before it. She had the truth of her world exposed to her and scales ripped from her eyes as she saw a woman's dreams being eaten in front of her. Her best friend is a succubus and her darling god-daughters are far-spawn. Her new wife is a warlock. She's killed monsters and she's helped them. None of it have prepared her much for what she sees in front of her now. It's thankful that the Second Sight insulates a Hunter's mind from what it allows them to see. The Heralds gave them that much. But it only provides a veneer that doesn't erase the purely mundane horror Sophie feels now. Was... this... a child, once? What's going on? Who did this to her? Or was it ever a her to begin with?

"I... follow me, please," she says, in a strained voice. She wants to look away and turn a blind eye, but she can't. The Second sight has to fade by itself. Another of the Hunters' curses. She'll lead Sasha to one of the small individual rooms the daycare has for the older children, walking as if in a dream.

She needs to confront the man who brought her (it?) here the next day. Either he turned a child into this... a possibility that makes Sophie abandon her pacifism and dearly wish to put a bullet in his head. Or else created something horrendous, a gateway to the abyss, in the shape of a child. Which is almost better in some ways, worse in others.

7. - Top - End - #967
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Whatever it is, it's in daycare now! Hooray!

Sasha does as she's told, unaware of the misfortunate viewing Sophie went through, silently following the Hunter into the small individual room. I probably forgot to mention this before, but if Sophie gets too close to Sasha, the drop in temperature around the shadow creature is substantial enough to be noticeable. It's a little chilly.

Sasha mostly stares at Sophie in lieu of looking over the new room, with an unceasing black eyed gaze.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

"Alright, then... Sasha," Sophie says, managing to actually look at the child. "Is there something you want to do here?"

This is an innocent question, but there's a force behind it. One that pulls at Sasha, trying to encourage her to answer truthfully. It's not a compulsion, more like a sense of ease and comfort, telling her that Sophie is to be trusted. How that will work on Sasha is anyone's guess. Could be a subtle effect like that isn't enough.

9. - Top - End - #969
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Well she's just as creepy and disturbing as always. It's probably manageable as long as Sophie doesn't look down too. Just focus on those hives that pretend to be eyes.

For her part, Sasha just slowly sweeps her head from one side to another to indicate no. Presumably the room has books and toys within them to keep their victims occupied, but the 'girl' doesn't seem to have much interest in them. She might enjoy standing in the darkest corner of the room all day.

Then again, she might not know what to do with the things in the room to begin with. Do monsters from the abyss even know how to read?
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #970
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    One Night

"I have a wrist-strapping slingshot for distance, and I can summon stuff as well. Birds and faeries to intercept anything hostile. But what I'd like is something to help if I get surprised, or if it gets past my helpers." Natalie's most interested in the knives, the balisongs and daggers, though the shotels and khopeshes attract her attention briefly, she doesn't want to carry around a great big sword. A knife, though... She can put it in her pocket and teleport it to her hand without anyone noticing, and she likes the look of the butterfly knives.

The slingshot was a birthday present from Lilly Applehill, and it's not something Natalie uses much. I remember she has it, though. Along with the jetpack she got a couple of Thanksmases ago, so she could fly around with her friends and talk to them at the same time. Birds can't do that.
    [One Night]

To be fair, a khopesh is usually fairly modest in length for a military-used sword.
    As far as knives go, there is a cinqueda, polished to a mirror shine. There's the balisong, which is not for children. There's a rondel and a fat green blade made out of some strange looking material. There are exotic curved daggers and kukris, and even tantos and push daggers. Some even seem balanced for throwing.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

"Do you want to be here?" Sophie asks, the aura not waning just yet. Even if it doesn't seem to be working.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Want to be here? That's a strange question. The Master told her to wait here, so she wants to wait here. She'd also prefer to be at the Master's side if she could, so she doesn't want to be here. But disturbing Master when he doesn't want to be disturbed is... very... unwise. So she'd rather be here. She thinks?

Maybe Sophie means this room in particular? She still doesn't know much about this room compared to any other room here. It might be better and it definitely could be worse. This was really a confusing question. Maybe it was a trick question. The kind of leading question adults do when they want you to be happy with something even if you're completely ambivalent.

Sasha slowly chooses to nod her head once. At least, that's the best guess from the stoic, near expressionless girl's slight movements.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #973
    Orc in the Playground

One Night

Natalie can't put a khopesh in a pocket and carry it without anyone knowing. And being a little larger, it'd take more effort to teleport into her hand if she isn't carrying it.

If she's not allowed a balisong, Natalie's most tempted by the kukri. Though what I think is a Maori mere is quite interesting, too*. She'll eventually settle on the sharply curved blade of a kukri, as it's a weapon I'm more familiar with. "Is this one an option?" pointing at a kukri on a belt sheath.

*I recognised the description of 'fat green weapon made of strange material' as something I'd found looking at clubs for DnD a while back as being Maori, which helped me find the name on Wikipedia.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

I don't use the Registry; ask for a description if you don't know what my character looks like.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

"You can talk to me, if you want," Sophie says, as though it was obvious. She doesn't think it will help, since Sasha is pretty clearly unwilling rather than unable. "Can you tell me a bit about yourself?"

15. - Top - End - #975
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sasha's stare only seems more intense. Sophie wanted her to talk again? No one ever wanted that before. They'd ask her name and leave it mostly at that whenever they didn't spontaneously have a seizure. Even those that did talk to her again afterwards kept the exchange limited and as voiceless as possible. After all, there was something wrong with Sasha. Something horribly wrong with her that caused people to cringe, and cry, and scream.

So what was wrong with Sophie that she would pursue this madness?

Sasha hadn't the foggiest idea what she could even relate to Sophie to begin with. Was this a trick question of some sort? Was there something else you can learn about a person besides their name? "What do you want to know?" In what must be the longest she's spoken in months, maybe years, Sasha agrees to Sophie's request, but is in need of more specifics. Of course, every word Sasha speaks is pure agony on the ear, but that's just a part of who she is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sophie's ears do hurt from listening to Sasha, but she perseveres. It helps that the Second Sight comes with the constant chorus of the Messengers, at the edge of hearing. They seem quieter this time, though. Is what Sophie is witnessing enough to disturb them?

"Where do you usually live? With the man who brought you here?"

17. - Top - End - #977
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

To disturb even the Messengers would be high praise indeed.

Sasha nods once. "In the lab." With the Master. It's not the fanciest of homes, but it makes him happy. Ish. That's good enough for her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

"Who else lives in the lab?" Sophie says. She considers sitting down, but decides against it. "Are there more people like you? Or others like the person who brought you?"

19. - Top - End - #979
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sasha shakes her head. "Just Dyrm." That was the only other one besides herself and Master. As far as she knows anyways.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

"And who is Dyrm? Is it the man who brought you?" Sophie seems to be making progress, or that's how it feels anyway. Maybe she can find out more about... well, everything about this situation.

21. - Top - End - #981
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sophie sure asks a lot of question. She's a really strange adult. Sasha shakes her head again. Dyrm just lives with them in the lab. "Dyrm's mean."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2018-06-01 at 12:57 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

Strange is one word for Sophie. She's getting visibly tired now, keeping up her mental fortitude in face of... everything about Sasha, but she persists. Just a couple more questions...

"How is Dyrm mean?"

23. - Top - End - #983
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sasha stood quietly while she thought about that one, the tendrils of shadow enveloping her undulating slowly. It didn't really have an obvious answer like the other questions. "He doesn't like to be pet."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

There it is. A glimpse of a child's mind under all this. Is this real, or just a simulacrum? Or just a small piece? Sophie has to investigate, but this question game has already worn her down.

"That is unfortunate. But sometimes it can't be helped. Are you going to be alright here, Sasha? I have to see about the rest of the daycare."

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ogre in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sasha gives a lengthy nod. Standing still by herself is her favorite pasttime! Well not her favorite really. But she has had plenty of practice. Or maybe she'll just interact with the room after Sophie isn't watching her. Either way, she prefers being alone and more or less left to her own devices. Sophie's free to retreat, recuperate, and rejuvenate. Maybe take a shower to wash off all the ick.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

[Daycare]

Sophie wanders off, clearly dazed and distracted. Anyone can run into her, as she's deep in her thoughts. The room was designed with a teenager or older child in mind, so it contains books, comics and an MP3 player with various music. Whether or not Sasha will be interested in those is anyone's guess.