New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Playgrounders in D&D

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfCain View Post
    This would make an awesome PBP campaign.
    I think there was a fanfic or something where a couple dozen people from our world were sent to 3.5 D&D or something and actually did pretty well. Not that it wouldn't be totally kickass as a PBP campaign, of course...
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Get my hand on alchemy set, start nitrating some glycerol, make dynamite. Blow up dungeons, gain lots of XP from wholesale slaughter of monsters. Dig up the treasure. Start a company called monster mining. Get to max level in whatever class. Make a steam engine tanks with rocket propelled grenades, take over the world.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I think there was a fanfic or something where a couple dozen people from our world were sent to 3.5 D&D or something and actually did pretty well. Not that it wouldn't be totally kickass as a PBP campaign, of course...
    Do you have a link, by any chance?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Do you have a link, by any chance?
    I don't, but there was one on Tvtropes, on the Dungeons and Dragons FanficRecs page.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #95

Quote Originally Posted by TaiLiu View Post
    He has a doctorate.
    Huh. A Phd in mathematics. Well, that figures, doesn't it?

Danzibr, I retract my previous statement, and substitute it with an apology.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmmm, given the Fact that aside from Dexterity (I tend to be slow and clumsy, at least moreso than average) my Stats are slighlty (Cha, Con) to a medium bit (Int) above average, but none of them is great, I`d probably gravitate towards one of the less Statdependant Classes .... IF I, as an assumed Expert L2, survive the first few days.

As I take faith seriously I would not simply start worshipping who/Whatever I got dropped closest to, so no ClericJumping.

later on, if I find the chance and Time, I would probably gravitate towards Wizard (as only Work and Int are necessary) or something pacty (Binder or Warlock), or depending on the exact Setting maybe its more Incarnum or psionics. Any way, lacking any prerexisting Talent sadly removes my actually favoured Classes....sigh.
    Last edited by GrayDeath; 2016-12-03 at 01:35 PM.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FocusWolf413 View Post
    For you, it's Icelandic.
    Oh dear. That does make things much more difficult. It'd be difficult to even figure out what world I'm on. My plan remains the same but now I also get to try to figure out how to communicate wth hostile strangers all along the way. With any luck, I can find my way to a city with a temple to a commerce god and maybe find someone I can communicate with or, rather, someone who can employ magic to communicate with me.

Unless english is like rashemi or goblin or something like that.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Unless english is like rashemi or goblin or something like that.
    OR abyssal. Praying to Pelor that it's not Abyssal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssal Keeper View Post
    Please do not lick members of the committee, thank you.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

HMmm, very likely wrong target for that prayer, given the Burning Hate`s .... predesposition. ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

10. - Top - End - #100

It's interesting to me to read all of the responses where one's survival is contingent on the kindness of strangers.

Human beings in our world are generally kind to one another for tribal reasons because we know survival chances are higher as a group than as individuals. It's this instinct that leads people to be optimists, and to expect the best out of their fellows.

But you are applying these same principles to a world in which metaphysical laws are clearly defined, absolute and readily available to the general populace.

For instance, suppose you were to walk into a temple and throw yourself upon the mercy of the clerics and they decide to cast any of the series of Detect Alignment spells on you.

What do you expect them to see?
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    HMmm, very likely wrong target for that prayer, given the Burning Hate`s .... predesposition. ^^
    Then who should I pray to, considering that he is the God of all that is Good and Holy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyssal Keeper View Post
    Please do not lick members of the committee, thank you.

12. - Top - End - #102

Quote Originally Posted by Tonymitsu View Post
    For instance, suppose you were to walk into a temple and throw yourself upon the mercy of the clerics and they decide to cast any of the series of Detect Alignment spells on you.

Somewhere on the upper-left quadrant. I've never really been tested in a major way, alignment wise, but I've been pretty much moral and dependable.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

It's interesting to me to read all of the responses where one's survival is contingent on the kindness of strangers.

Human beings in our world are generally kind to one another for tribal reasons because we know survival chances are higher as a group than as individuals. It's this instinct that leads people to be optimists, and to expect the best out of their fellows.

But you are applying these same principles to a world in which metaphysical laws are clearly defined, absolute and readily available to the general populace.

Hmmmm, following a lot of "Hat Alignment would I be" Tests, I am very much of the thought that I`d ping as Chaotig Good or maybe (if I am in a particular bad place atm" Chaotic neutral to true neutral.
    I am neither focussed enough on Good to be Neutral Good nor Holy enough to be LG, but neither am I iun any way or form evil, so....yeh.

Quote Originally Posted by Masema View Post
    Then who should I pray to, considering that he is the God of all that is Good and Holy.
    May Lord Pelor the Bruning Hatred Bathe you in his radiance and sear away any Imperfections

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Probably nothing. Maybe a weak lawful ping. I'm quite confident I'm either neutral or lawful neutral. Not that I'd imagine it would be much of a concern to a deity of commerce and certainly not to The Uncaring One.
    Last edited by Kelb_Panthera; 2016-12-03 at 03:03 PM.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

15. - Top - End - #105

I expect i would be chaotic good. I believe in humanitarian principles and if the law gets in the way of them then I believe it needs to be done away with.

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    And it would be nice if you could get wireless Internet connection as well.
    See that? That's the kind of thinking that gets you a promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Wait, that's your main goal? What's the plan, bossman?
    Think about it this way. Take your average, middling-accomplished individual, reasonably intelligent, somewhat savvy. Put him in a medieval fantasy world. If he isn't quickly killed, he'll use common-level modern knowledge, and do something - like triggering an industrial revolution - that winds up with him obscenely wealthy and living in the lap of luxury.

Now, replace Joe Blow with me.

Do I even need a plan? Arrive, gain power and influence, revolutionize the world, become a living god, retire to a palace the size of a small town. Be worshiped and served until I die/ become immortal/ ascend to godhood.

It ain't complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Red Fel,

Come on, we know you'd show up as a chicken infested commoner.. and proceed to cause a black hole to consume the entire crystal sphere to sacrifice all as a method to become a God.
    If I showed up as a chicken infested commoner? You'd better believe I'm taking down the entire crystal sphere.

No way I'm putting up with that kind of indignity. And if I have to go, everything goes with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Watch Game of Thrones, duh. I assume Red Rel's blood pools are in 4k now?
    You know it. Only the highest quality plasma displays.

Quote Originally Posted by FocusWolf413 View Post
    So humble. Anyway, I'd actually kind of like to see a world that you rule. I mean, it would kind of suck not having any real freedom, but we don't have that anyway, the illusion isn't very comforting, and under you, life would actually probably be pretty good for normal people. That is, if you deliver.
    You'd be surprised. The key to a good totalitarian regime is that life at the bottom changes fairly little. Go watch Brazil to see what I mean. The big change would be that the justice system would be quick and severe, and that every citizen would have absolute confidence that the laws would be enforced. For the average Joe who goes through his regular life, working and obeying the law, nothing changes but that knowledge. Less crime, true, but not like I'm promising a chicken in every pot or anything. Just a guarantee that if you work hard enough, are smart enough, and are ruthless enough, you can climb to any height. Well, almost any - I'm still the guy on top.

Also, we'd have really good shows. Bread and circuses, yo. I'm thinking we could get a D&D version of Stranger Things that would be straight-up meta.

Very little after that. I expect they'd go blind.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

RAW? Chaotic Evil. BoVD is stupid but has alignment rules.
    LGBTA+itP

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

I think for most, Gond or Cas would be fitting.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

Decades of putting the needs of the many before my own? Upper part of the quadrant. I've even got the paperwork to back it up. :-)

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Definitely Lawful, probably LN. I have some slight LE and LG tendencies, but I'm quite confident it comes down to LN overall, which I'm fine with (as far as afterlives go, Mechanus isn't that bad).

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Find an inn.
    Start cooking for them.
    Marry bar wench.
    Get disease.
    Die painfully.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PaucaTerrorem View Post
    Find an inn.
    Start cooking for them.
    Marry bar wench.
    Get disease.
    Die painfully.
    I doubt a good-aligned temple with access to Remove Disease is going to leave someone to die.

Extended signature!

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Probably Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil probably more of the latter. Honestly I would just go to a church of Hextor for assistance if I needed the help of any church, join them and stuff, probably would go the path of arcane caster using shenanigans obviously and then assist them with my power as a reward for helping me.
    Last edited by flappeercraft; 2016-12-03 at 04:35 PM.

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Somewhere on the upper-left quadrant. I've never really been tested in a major way, alignment wise, but I've been pretty much moral and dependable.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Hmmmm, following a lot of "Hat Alignment would I be" Tests, I am very much of the thought that I`d ping as Chaotig Good or maybe (if I am in a particular bad place atm" Chaotic neutral to true neutral.
    I am neither focussed enough on Good to be Neutral Good nor Holy enough to be LG, but neither am I iun any way or form evil, so....yeh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Probably nothing. Maybe a weak lawful ping. I'm quite confident I'm either neutral or lawful neutral. Not that I'd imagine it would be much of a concern to a deity of commerce and certainly not to The Uncaring One.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Longarrow View Post
    Decades of putting the needs of the many before my own? Upper part of the quadrant. I've even got the paperwork to back it up. :-)
    These are not at all unexpected responses. No one truly believes themselves to be evil. Even a token respect for authority and the rule of law is a sign of decency and humility. And the belief that you would happily flaunt of authority in the face of oppression is enlightenment thinking at it's finest.

It would be wonderfully simple if you could be sure you weren't lying.

Introspective examinations are hard. Especially if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Think about it this way. Take your average, middling-accomplished individual, reasonably intelligent, somewhat savvy. Put him in a medieval fantasy world. If he isn't quickly killed, he'll use common-level modern knowledge, and do something - like triggering an industrial revolution - that winds up with him obscenely wealthy and living in the lap of luxury.

Now, replace Joe Blow with me.

Do I even need a plan? Arrive, gain power and influence, revolutionize the world, become a living god, retire to a palace the size of a small town. Be worshiped and served until I die/ become immortal/ ascend to godhood.

It ain't complicated.
    Indeed. Very straightforward. Very moving.

The wish fulfillment fantasy of a true tyrant.

You'd be surprised. The key to a good totalitarian regime is that life at the bottom changes fairly little. Go watch Brazil to see what I mean. The big change would be that the justice system would be quick and severe, and that every citizen would have absolute confidence that the laws would be enforced. For the average Joe who goes through his regular life, working and obeying the law, nothing changes but that knowledge. Less crime, true, but not like I'm promising a chicken in every pot or anything. Just a guarantee that if you work hard enough, are smart enough, and are ruthless enough, you can climb to any height. Well, almost any - I'm still the guy on top.
    I'm tickled by your use of the phrase "good totalitarian".
    A system of government in which the populace is beholden to the state through a codified and exacting set of laws, and which inculcates obedience in the populace by feeding them a steady diet of mainstream propaganda mostly centered on national pride and utter faith in those in power. It's a system whose success depends entirely on rigidly maintaining the rule of law at all costs. By it's very definition, it cannot be good, in exactly the same way the plane of Mechanus cannot ever be good, at the risk of annihilating itself.

In effect, life would change for everyone, since the rule of law must be absolute for the system to function. The laws do not serve the needs of the people, they serve the needs of the system. The only possible guarantee you could ever make anyone in such a system is that they will serve the needs of the system, and that they will climb exactly as high as the current, or anticipated, needs of the system dictate.
    Resident Mad Scientist...

"It's so cool!"

Spoiler: Contests
    Show
    VC I: Lord Commander Conrad Vayne, 1st place
    VC II: Lorna, the Mother's Wrath, 5th place
    VC XV: Tosk, Kursak the Marauder, Vierna Zalyl; 1st place, 6th/7th place
    Kitchen Crashers Protocol for Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    But that's one of the things about interpreting RAW—when you pick a reading that goes against RAI, it often has a ripple effect that results in dysfunctions in other places.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Let's see. To start, I would classify myself as somewhere between chaotic neutral, and neutral evil.
    I have a PhD in gravitational physics. So I could use some general physics knowledge, but my specialty wouldn't be terribly useful. But I think I can safely say that I would have between 16 and 18 INT, a 14ish Con, 10 Wis, 10 Dex, 9 STR, 7 CHA. Or there-abouts. So my first goal would be to learn any spell that I can sell for coin. Work my way up till I can teleport, and become an expensive medieval taxi service. I would use the money to keep learning, until I can achieve some form of immortality. Then invulnerability. Then retire to a nice cottage somewhere, and kill anyone who comes withing 10 miles of me.

26. - Top - End - #116

Introspective examinations are hard. Especially if you don't know exactly what you are looking for.
    Agreed. Fortunately, we have entire books on what to look for.
    Haven't you seen the alignment threads here? It always boils down to "the rulebooks say this, but that's stupid so we're going to try to salvage something that makes sense".

We know exactly what constitutes Good, Evil, Chaotic and Neutral. And, heck, if you really need proof, take a look at any first-party Evil character. They pretty much all hurt people regularly, in some form or another. I do not, so I'm comfortable saying I'm not Evil, at the very least. Expecting Good people to help someone in need is hardly a stretch, and it still wouldn't be a stretch even if that person were Evil. Unless you know that they're about to cause harm to someone else, and you can't possibly stop them, letting an Evil person die is not Good behaviour. Killing an Evil person who needs to be stopped? Good people will do that. Refusing to help an Evil person just because he pinged Evil? Not Good. Or at least enough of a grey area that - if I were Evil - I could find someone to help.

Now, I'm not saying I'm incapable of Evil acts; I could certainly fall if pushed hard enough, especially if a loved one was in danger, but capacity for Evil acts != Evil alignment. If it did, no Paladin would ever fall, because the only LG people would be the ones who can never perform Evil or Chaotic acts.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I'm tickled by your use of the phrase "good totalitarian".
    A system of government in which the populace is beholden to the state through a codified and exacting set of laws, and which inculcates obedience in the populace by feeding them a steady diet of mainstream propaganda mostly centered on national pride and utter faith in those in power. It's a system whose success depends entirely on rigidly maintaining the rule of law at all costs. By it's very definition, it cannot be good, in exactly the same way the plane of Mechanus cannot ever be good, at the risk of annihilating itself.

In effect, life would change for everyone, since the rule of law must be absolute for the system to function. The laws do not serve the needs of the people, they serve the needs of the system. The only possible guarantee you could ever make anyone in such a system is that they will serve the needs of the system, and that they will climb exactly as high as the current, or anticipated, needs of the system dictate.
    You know, I think it wouldn't be that hard to provide minimum sustenance to everyone.

In this thread, there's a mention of using a use-activated item of create food and water to provide the peasants with infinite food. ExLibrisMortis makes a strong argument that a village could save enough money to buy one.

It isn't too much of a stretch to think that the ruler of the multiverse would be able to provide every village with one.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #118

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    RAW? Chaotic Evil. BoVD is stupid but has alignment rules.
    Why automatically chaotic evil?
    Imagine how many problems you can solve, how many ways you can help your friends, when not constrained by paltry morality! Imagine how much good you can achieve when you're willing to go to any length to achieve it! Imagine the monsters you can slay when you are the greatest monster of them all!
    Company Website: http://lernaeanstudio.com
    PF 3pp Subreddit I Mod: r/Pathfinder3pp

29. - Top - End - #119

So there was some interest in a campaign based on this notion so I did a thing. I created a recruitment thread looking for some players and a DM. Thought I'd link the recruitment here so people could jump in if they are interested.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...5#post21452845

Extended Homebrew Signature

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Everyone asleep in their beds in the middle of an attack on the city.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfCain View Post
    Why automatically chaotic evil?
    Because the writers of BoVD invented Vile, a term for horrible evil deeds, and then labeled some stupid, rather innocent stuff as Vile. This is going off memory, I haven't read the book in ages, but still a terrible book. If we were ignoring it, I could argue for any of the three Chaotic alignments, but still most likely Neutral or Evil. I simply don't care about other people unless I feel a connection to them, it's just stupid to hurt other people without a big enough payout.
    LGBTA+itP