New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age VI: Siege Harder

Hey, do they jack up the difficulty of the Fade Rift fights at random points to try and force the PC to do certain story related missions instead?

I'm working on a 2nd inquisitor, and I've got at least 3 now I swear it's doing this with.
    "I Burn!"

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

That question seems to hinge on an unstated assumption. The rifts are neither random nor equal. If you're level 10 and the rift you want to close is producing level 15 enemies, you're probably not expected to be closing it yet, just like any other form of "the enemies here are level 15."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    That question seems to hinge on an unstated assumption. The rifts are neither random nor equal. If you're level 10 and the rift you want to close is producing level 15 enemies, you're probably not expected to be closing it yet, just like any other form of "the enemies here are level 15."
    One of the few things I openly dislike about the game is their tendency to make high level areas available well before I could possibly be strong enough to actually do anything in them. I can appreciate a certain amount of open-world-ness, but when I'm level 4 and can only unlock like 3 maps, don't make one of them a level 12 map.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

It is true that some rifts are randomly way more powerful than anything in the area. In the Hinterlands, for example, you'll probably find a few level 8 and level 12 rifts when you're about level 4/5, if you explore the area before doing major quests. These stronger rifts are usually in pretty remote areas and don't prevent you from doing quests, they're more of a "come back here later to close these rifts and 100% the zone" thing.

Except for that horrible, horrible level 12 rift that prevents you from finishing that stupid buffalo sidequest near the farms. That's annoying.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Well, the fourth game will probably have Solas as an antagonist, so ... sucks to be you, I guess?
    I don't know why murdering that idiot would mean it sucks to be me. I don't find his reasoning or his plan compelling or logical, but I don't have to agree with an antagonist.

I still don't necessarily believe that the next game will set up Solas as the antagonist. They were all set up to make Morrigan an antagonist with her god baby...and it just kind've went away. I'm not convinced they will treat Solas any differently, although I'm not convinced they won't either.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Morrigan's Old God baby may or may not exist, and may have been fathered by three different people. Solas' fate is much more constant.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Morrigan's Old God baby may or may not exist, and may have been fathered by three different people. Solas' fate is much more constant.
    Plus, you know, is pretty explicit in his desire to end the world.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, I saw speculation that the next game would be playing the Old God baby, but I don't know where Anteros was looking to see the idea that Morrigan with an Old God baby was a likely, much less guaranteed, future villain.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

That was one of them, there's another one in a stupid cave in the Hinterlands I'm dealing with, and one out in The Fallow Marsh that's keeping me form doing the stupid apostate killing quest and finishing with the explore all regions/explore all locations quests.

But having managed to level up some, I think I'll take another whack at the other two, since I did, FINALLY, manage to clear out the one by the farm. (Had to gain 3 levels AND find 3 purple weapons and a suit of purple armor AND upgrade the whole party stuff beyond what they had for there other slots, but I still did it.).

So, 2 other questions:

1: I'm about to go after recruiting the rebel mages at Redcliff after I clear the side quests out from there and take out the last couple of things in The Fallow Marsh (except for Memoirs of the Grey, cause, that stupid Deft Hands Fine Tools perk.).

What energy weakness do the opponents during that quest have? (It's gonna determine the mage I bring to the party.).

2: Which shops, if any, in Redcliff, The Hinterlands, Val Royoh (I know I spelled it wrong I'm on a phone posting.) or Haven will have higher tier weapons/armor Schematics for sale? Before I start that quest I'm gonna see about doing a gear upgrade.
    "I Burn!"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    That was one of them, there's another one in a stupid cave in the Hinterlands I'm dealing with, and one out in The Fallow Marsh that's keeping me form doing the stupid apostate killing quest and finishing with the explore all regions/explore all locations quests.

But having managed to level up some, I think I'll take another whack at the other two, since I did, FINALLY, manage to clear out the one by the farm. (Had to gain 3 levels AND find 3 purple weapons and a suit of purple armor AND upgrade the whole party stuff beyond what they had for there other slots, but I still did it.).

So, 2 other questions:

1: I'm about to go after recruiting the rebel mages at Redcliff after I clear the side quests out from there and take out the last couple of things in The Fallow Marsh (except for Memoirs of the Grey, cause, that stupid Deft Hands Fine Tools perk.).

What energy weakness do the opponents during that quest have? (It's gonna determine the mage I bring to the party.).

2: Which shops, if any, in Redcliff, The Hinterlands, Val Royoh (I know I spelled it wrong I'm on a phone posting.) or Haven will have higher tier weapons/armor Schematics for sale? Before I start that quest I'm gonna see about doing a gear upgrade.
    If you free the rebel mages you are forced to take Dorian in your party, and he is a mage. Since he gets the necromancer specialization, he should probably be a fire mage since it synergizes well. You fight lots of demons, who have spirit weakness (IIRC) and enemy fire mages who (again, I think) are weak to cold.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, Dorian synergies with Fire, and the bad guys are weak Vs. Spirit and Cold on that mission. Sounds like I should just buy a Respect Token and equip Dorian with Cold and Spirit, and then respec afterwords.

Anyway.

What about buying Schematics. Is there a shop or Merchant that specializes in that? Cause, I could really use the option to craft some better armor and a couple of better weapons and weapon augmentations last thing before I go in there.
    "I Burn!"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    What about buying Schematics. Is there a shop or Merchant that specializes in that? Cause, I could really use the option to craft some better armor and a couple of better weapons and weapon augmentations last thing before I go in there.
    Schematics are scattered around, and some merchants only open as you progress the main quests. If you have hoarded a large amount of money, Black Emporium is the place to check. Barring that, merchants at Val Royx have the best selection.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

It's generally best to buy schematics in Black Emporium and forget about the rest, in my experience. It also helps to check the wiki for the best schematics in a given tier.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #44

I have a potentially silly question (I really have no idea), but is a 2H reaver tank possible? Or just a reaver tank? I'm having the urge to play DA:I again, but I don't want to play the same class/specs I always do only to get bored halfway through, and I've never in any DA game tried playing warrior. I usually just leave the party members to the AI, and Iron Bull usually just dies but I believe thats just a result of the AI rather than his spec, while I never put much effort into building or bringing him with me anyway as I liked to keep an even amount of ranged and melee party members with me. Bull often didnt fit in to that so well.

Reaver spec does seem interesting to me and I obviously havent played with it much yet, and I want to try making my Inquisitor into the tank role for a change. Sword and Shield seems like the most obvious choice, but purely for aesthetics, I like 2H better. Just kinda looking for a fun class to play, I dont feel like playing mages again especially since I love all three mage party members and would bring all three every time with me if I could. I love playing assassin but done it in two full playthroughs now, so I feel like I really should try a warrior spec for a change.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hmm... the important thing is to have skills that get aggro and give you armor (or whatever the grey bar is called), and these are available to all Fighters, I think.

It might take a while, but eventually you'll be able to craft weapons (or armors?) that give you armor with every hit you deal. I think it's one kind of masterwork ingredient that gives equipment this power. I crafted one of these for Iron Bull, he went from worst fighter ever to best fighter ever.

16. - Top - End - #46

OldWizardGuy

Reaver tank is possible. In fact, to play a Reaver you need the tank abilities that create guard so that you can spam Dragon Rage. When your health gets low, just omnom Devour foes to heal.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

DAI's GOTY is super-cheap right now.

https://twitter.com/mike_laidlaw/sta...49962807283712
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

So I just picked up Inquisition GOTY edition. I am thinking of playing as a Human Mage. Anything that I should know going in or something I should make sure not to miss early on?

For reference I have played Origins and some of DA 2, but never finished that one, but it has been quite a while and my memory of them is a bit fuzzy.

Don't want anything too spoilery but wouldn't mind build suggestions.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

Not that I remember. I don't think you can really miss anything. I will say that if you start to get bored in the first area don't be afraid to leave. You can go back.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

ClericGuy

Not too spoilery in terms of plot, but take Iron Bull when you go to kill your first dragon. A fun cut scene ensues.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Banned

I'm pretty sure you get that cut scene as long as you take him to kill any dragon. It doesn't have to be the first one.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MacGiolla View Post
    So I just picked up Inquisition GOTY edition. I am thinking of playing as a Human Mage. Anything that I should know going in or something I should make sure not to miss early on?

For reference I have played Origins and some of DA 2, but never finished that one, but it has been quite a while and my memory of them is a bit fuzzy.

Don't want anything too spoilery but wouldn't mind build suggestions.
    The Hinterlands, is entirely an area about learning how to play the game. Once you know how to do that, leave. Forget all the pointless mini-quests, don't worry about some buggers missing buffalo or whatever, just leave. Your experience will be better for it.

I guess this is a slight spoiler, it's more of an anti-spoiler though.
    Spoiler
    Show

Most of the collectibles don't do crap. You can safely ignore them, they're entirely pointless busy work to try and pad the game length. If you want to hear the songs or the dwarven legend things, they're on youtube, look them up there and save yourself pointless wandering.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Many new players go to the first area (the Hinterlands) believing they MUST complete every quest before moving on.

In fact, the game is designed so that you will want to return to areas after you've gone up in levels. There's no need for your Level 4 ass to get pounded by demons while trying to close that Level 12 rift; just come back to it later.

Also, if you have the Trespasser DLC, go into the Trials section under Options and turn on Take It Slow. This halves your XP, which sounds bad, but there's a **** ton of side content in DAI and you will quickly overlevel.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-12-30 at 10:47 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Many new players go to the first area (the Hinterlands) believing they MUST complete every quest before moving on.

In fact, the game is designed so that you will want to return to areas after you've gone up in levels. There's no need for your Level 4 ass to get pounded by demons while trying to close that Level 12 rift; just come back to it later.

Also, if you have the Trespasser DLC, go into the Trials section under Options and turn on Take It Slow. This halves your XP, which sounds bad, but there's a **** ton of side content in DAI and you will quickly overlevel.
    Or you could use the trial which brings everything up to your level, minimum, so that you cant ever out level the content.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

While I'll agree with the first bit, get out of the Hinterlands. I don't have Trespasser, but I'd be wary of the Take It Slow option. Leveling in this game is almost entirely based around combat, and the base combat system isn't really all that engaging, at least not until you get 4-5 interesting, unique, and consistently useful abilities to play with, which can take awhile in some classes. Slowing down the time it takes to get to the fun part seems antithetical to enjoyment.

And while you will certainly overlevel if you try to do everything, you really, really don't need to try out every little side-quest. From my own experiences I'd say I enjoyed the game more the second time through where I just ignored a bunch of stuff that was pointless.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-12-30 at 11:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

So, I bought this game when it came out but it was so utterly brokenly unplayable (how on earth do you **** up a AAA title so bad you FALL THROUGH THE TERRAIN IN THE TUTORIAL) I didn't touch it until someone recently assured me it had been fixed at some point. Starting my first playthrough now (sorta).

I've made two characters to get a feel for the game, taking them both up to level 7 or 8. A Dwarf Rogue (Dual Wield) and an Elf Mage.

With as little spoilers as possible, can anyone tell me:

A.) Whether the game has enough depth of choice to justify two playthroughs (will they give significantly different experiences with different dialogue and choices or is it a more standard diamond plot?)

B.) Whether being a mage enhances the game experience RP/story-wise like it did in Origins

C.) Whether Mages ever become remotely interesting to play (why is it with every sequel the available spell options becomes smaller and less interesting?). I already know basically what the specializations do, but not sure how that translates into play.

D.) Is DLC worth it? To purchase before finishing the game, or no? Basically are we looking at more "Return to Ostagar" or more "Awakening"? While it's on sale I may as well buy the GOTY edition if so since it's so much cheaper than just buying the add-ons.

Basically I want to play a mage for the extra story elements that may exist but man has it been boring. I've been having fun tele-ganking people with the Rogue a lot more, but this seems a game to play more for the narrative than the gameplay either way, for better and worse.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2016-12-31 at 12:12 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    So, I bought this game when it came out but it was so utterly brokenly unplayable (how on earth do you **** up a AAA title so bad you FALL THROUGH THE TERRAIN IN THE TUTORIAL) I didn't touch it until someone recently assured me it had been fixed at some point. Starting my first playthrough now (sorta).

I've made two characters to get a feel for the game, taking them both up to level 7 or 8. A Dwarf Rogue (Dual Wield) and an Elf Mage.

With as little spoilers as possible, can anyone tell me:

A.) Whether the game has enough depth of choice to justify two playthroughs (will they give significantly different experiences with different dialogue and choices or is it a more standard diamond plot?)

B.) Whether being a mage enhances the game experience RP/story-wise like it did in Origins

C.) Whether Mages ever become remotely interesting to play (why is it with every sequel the available spell options becomes smaller and less interesting?). I already know basically what the specializations do, but not sure how that translates into play.

D.) Is DLC worth it? To purchase before finishing the game, or no? Basically are we looking at more "Return to Ostagar" or more "Awakening"?
    A.) Probably not. There's basically only one major branch point in the entire story, and even then it's back to the main plot with little variation after it.

B.) I'd say no. It changes a few interactions with some of the characters, but nothing major.

C.) Not in my opinion, but some other people enjoy them.

D.) Probably yes, but not until after you beat the game.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

There is actually a surprising amount, there is one rather major plot decision early on that shapes the encounter design of the rest of the game.

Only one that I know of, and it's niche.

Totally honest, I don't think the mechanics of combat in this game are all that fun. Origins at least had the tactics mode so you can plot it out like a turn by turn tactics generator, but they've shifted toward "action combat" unfortunately, the only class that can actually pull that off in an interesting and fluid way is the dual weapons rogue. For the rest of them, they seem to be under the mistaken impression that throwing a bunch of light shows and have a lot of overemphasized spinning in the basic attack animations will trick the players into thinking there's more going on. Bioware just doesn't seem to want to take the leap to fully embrace the newer combat like they did making the transition from ME1 to ME2. So we're left with a game that plays like a WoW did when it was released and call it an action title.

D.) Is DLC worth it? To purchase before finishing the game, or no? Basically are we looking at more "Return to Ostagar" or more "Awakening"? While it's on sale I may as well buy the GOTY edition if so since it's so much cheaper than just buying the add-ons.
    From a mathematical perspective? No. DLC rarely is. From a storytelling or worldbuilding perspective? Jaws of Hakkon is just another area, but one that is actually focused on the story it's trying to tell. Descent is a full out old school D&D dungeon crawl that also sheds a lot of light on the role of the ancient dwarves were and brings about a somewhat terrifying realization about the Darkspawn. Both of those can be done during the game, and are fine. Then there's Trespasser which is the secret hidden ending of the game. But instead of old games where the secret ending must be unlocked through gameplay in some way, you just have to buy it here.

Basically I want to play a mage for the extra story elements that may exist but man has it been boring. I've been having fun tele-ganking people with the Rogue a lot more, but this seems a game to play more for the narrative than the gameplay either way, for better and worse.
    You can safely drop the Mage.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2016-12-31 at 12:37 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Or you could use the trial which brings everything up to your level, minimum, so that you cant ever out level the content.
    Problem is, the game caps out at Level 27. So even a moderately completionist playthrough where you do MOST things instead of ALL things will still have you hit the level cap pretty quick.

Maybe that doesn't matter to you, but I know that bugs some people.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-12-31 at 01:02 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I would say yes if you're willing to commit to making some different choices in a second playthrough. Play a different race, a different class, pick some different perks.

As to the second question ... nah, not really. Race is more of an important choice than class. A Dalish or qunari mage has the same background as a Dalish/Qunari rogue or warrior.

I would at least buy Trespasser. If you have Trespasser downloaded earlier, you get fun new prizes at the war table and can access the Trials, which you can use to increase the difficulty of the game, earn fun goodies, etc.

As I've indicated, I use the Take It Slow Trial to counter the excessive XP the game throws at you.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2016-12-31 at 02:50 AM.