New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default remake old video games

Is there an old video game that you would want to be re-built with modern graphics and computing power?

I'm not talking about a reboot, I'm thinking about an actual exact remake of the game's story and interactions, just modernized graphics and interface.

You see this from time to time with movies, but I personally haven't seen it with games
    Last edited by Aliquid; 2016-12-02 at 07:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: remake old video games

Quote Originally Posted by Aliquid View Post
    Is there an old video game that you would want to be re-built with modern graphics and computing power?

I'm not talking about a reboot, I'm thinking about an actual exact remake of the game's story and interactions, just modernized graphics and interface.

You see this from time to time with movies, but I personally haven't seen it with games
    I feel part of why this is the case is that many older games were in fact restricted by the processing power available at the time, and developers love having the chance to improve and iterate on their vision with the knowledge of how the game has aged. Those that WEREN'T limited by this often stand up on their own to this day -- things like the original Sonic games, for example. Or games like Final Fantasy VI, which was simply beautiful, and which still stands as a great game due to the fact that sprite graphics don't really age.

There ARE a few games that do this exactly though. In some cases games provide minor tweaks and additions (Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Titan Quest Anniversary Edition, etc) and in some cases it's for better graphics (Beyond Good & Evil HD, Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection, DotA 2, Devil May Cry HD Collection...).

In others, however, people remake the game the way it might have appeared if made with modern capabilities and knowledge: Pokemon Heart Gold is an example of that, combining new improvements with the older game.

But yeah. There are a TON of these -- here's a list for you.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

3. - Top - End - #3

Whoa. That's an incredible list. Lots of games I enjoyed on that list.

Anyway, for me, if we're talking just a graphics update, I'd have to say some of the early 3D stuff. I like sprites just fine, but looking back, FF7 was pretty dang ugly. 8 is better but would really benefit from an HD upgrade.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sounds like a typical gaming sequel. The old formula was to use the old engine two or three times, then rewrite it for newer hardware.

Great games of old I'd like a new one of:
    Wing Commander (good luck. they'll need it).
    Star Raiders (apparently there was a modern use of that name with bad reviews. I'd rather do a quick hack to learn 3-d graphics and keep [nearly] the old gameplay).
    No One Lives Forever. Presumably a sequel as I can't see the point of redoing the old plots point for point.
    Oblivion: this one should be done as is and not a sequel. Preferably just like Skyrim: special edition. (try not to break the mods).
    And probably the same to Morrowind
    Baldur's Gate/Torment: The destruction of the assets appears tragic. Presumably there was enough to pretty much allow modern PCs to render the world in real time. You might need a little more work to see things from the side.
    [and of course these would use all the same plot, same lines, maybe a little more voice acting]

Most things either *are* remade (civilization, doom, everquest (mostly as WoW)) or wouldn't really work right (really early Ultimas, Infocom games). But there are a few forgotten gems out there (I suspect mostly killed by tied up IP).

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by wumpus View Post
    Most things either *are* remade (civilization, doom, everquest (mostly as WoW)) or wouldn't really work right (really early Ultimas, Infocom games). But there are a few forgotten gems out there (I suspect mostly killed by tied up IP).
    I would love it if they remade Ultima IV. Same story, same locations... etc. They could do it, with some creativity.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm...
    A few ps1 platformers come to mind. Spyro the Dragon(especially the 2nd) and Crash Bandicoot come to mind.
    There was also a ps2 game I enjoyed as a kid a lot called "Neopets the Darkest Faerie", that would be fun to see with updated visuals
    Maybe a few of the ps1 racing games, Like "Jet Moto 2" or early ps2 ones like "Arctic Thunder 2"... Lots of 2s here, for some reason.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

TES3: Morrowind. No question. Remake that in a modern engine (aka Skyrim Special Edition style) and I'd be all over it. Second choice would be the original TIE Fighter game and its expansions...with modern graphics being what they are you could make that so it feels like you're actually in one of the movies, which would be fantastic!

8. - Top - End - #8

Typically if I want a remake of an old game, its when it was part of a series that had newer features and engines later on, and I'd really like the game to be updated with it. Such as the first Fable and Saints Row games, I thought they were great compared to the most recent of their respective series, but I'd love to see them updated (and with female player options).

When it's just graphics updates, as much as I think I want them, by the time they're out I get bored quick because aside from looking prettier, there's not really anything new.

3DS friend code: 0748-2783-1667
    Mii name: Sajiri

Ruya avatar by me!
    My Tumblr (more active than Deviantart these days)
    My DeviantART
    (It's mostly old art)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

A rebuild of Ascendancy with modern-day computing power to enable a competent AI would make it a titan of classic 4X games, instead of a distant trailer behind MoO.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    TES3: Morrowind. No question. Remake that in a modern engine (aka Skyrim Special Edition style) and I'd be all over it. Second choice would be the original TIE Fighter game and its expansions...with modern graphics being what they are you could make that so it feels like you're actually in one of the movies, which would be fantastic!
    Oh yeah, I might actually play Morrowind if it had better graphics, it's just over the "nah I don't want to play it that much" line.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

11. - Top - End - #11
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Oh, put Fallout 1+2 on the list for 'better graphics' as well. I adore turn-based RPGs in that mold, but their graphics are so old and pixelated I have a hard time looking at them.

12. - Top - End - #12

MonkGuy

Pong ;)

More seriously:

R-Type
    Descent I & II
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Syndicate / Syndicate Wars
    Deus Ex
    Morrowind

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Sacrifice

Beautiful, unique game that had a lot of great voice talent (including Tim Curry), an interesting setting, and so many wonderful ideas...

Except it was in the age of fugly low-poly 3D and its UI was clumsy and unhelpful.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonest View Post
    Oh yeah, I might actually play Morrowind if it had better graphics, it's just over the "nah I don't want to play it that much" line.
    There's almost certainly a mod for that somewhere, possibly even more than one.
    Last edited by M0rdecai[QC]; 2016-12-04 at 02:32 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

ONLY a "graphics and interface update"? Hmm, rather than go with one of my favorites, I think I'm going to go the other way and grab an undeserving game that most of us only own because it's part of a series we like:

Remake Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link using Smash Bros Melee Link. The characters are essentially the same, it's just a graphical and interface update. Apply that update to the entirety of Zelda 2 and you have a timeless classic.
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Descent I & II
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...nt-underground

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

I see your Morrowind, and raise you a Daggerfall! If that game could ever possibly be remade in modern graphics, with a significantly better control scheme, I'd never leave my house again.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2016-12-04 at 07:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Nethack.

19. - Top - End - #19

Chimera

Put me in for Ultima IV and Fallout 1&2 for sure. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen would be another good one.

If we can dream a little bit bigger, and maybe get a retranslated script and... a finished game out of it, Xenogears.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_S View Post
    Put me in for Ultima IV and Fallout 1&2 for sure. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen would be another good one.

If we can dream a little bit bigger, and maybe get a retranslated script and... a finished game out of it, Xenogears.
    Xenogears! Seconded.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

21. - Top - End - #21

Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen would be another good one.
    I could go for a re-translation and mouseclickable interface of this with TO's Warren Report and all the OB Saturn version enhancements. (Greenhaired Female Opi and animated map sprites!) The art could be considerably improved, too.

You could even sneak in the Ogre Battle Gaiden content as a DLC quest!
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

22. - Top - End - #22

Right now, I'm busy replaying the original Jedi Knight (Dark Forces II). That's one I would like to have re-done.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I for one would love a remake of the Playstation one(i think? might be 2) 4-disk classic "Legend of Dragoon".

Mostly so it can get a graphics upgrade and prefferibly be compressed all into one disk (never did get to disk 4 since it was damaged beyond repair unfortionately) but some other things would also be nice. Some improved voice acting, making the earth-dragoon availible earlier in the game, hell, making it so the main protagonist character is NOT mandatory to include in a battle-party so he doesn't vastly outlevel everyone else, etc. Hell, making it so either every party member can fight at once or giving us more then three partymember slots per battle would be great too. As it was you had maybe eigtht characters, only seven of which you could move in/out of combat, and only two of which could be involved in any given combat.

The origional two Golden Sun games could also go for a remake maybe, though perhaps keep the pseudo 2-D style the origionals had, the 3d in Golden sun: Dark Dawn was always a little jarring.

Golden sun 2 could also use a revamp to it's combat mechanics. again you had eight availible characters, but only four of them could be in combat at a time, though you could swap them out. Making it so you could set up melee fighters ahead of the ranged/magic fighters would be nice, allowing you to have all eight on the battlefeild at once and impliment new tactics to make use of that.

in both cases though enemies would likely need to be made stronger to compensate.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

I think Minecraft could be redone with some serious anti-aliasing.

25. - Top - End - #25

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Remake Legend of Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link using Smash Bros Melee Link. The characters are essentially the same, it's just a graphical and interface update. Apply that update to the entirety of Zelda 2 and you have a timeless classic.
    Zelda 2 already has a modern remake, they just called it Dark Souls this time.

A lot of the same concepts behind Xenogears resurface in Xenoblade Chronicles.

Xenogears would take a lot to make it work, it was monstrously overambitious because Tetsuya Takahashi was not a good project manager at the time, lots of its character arcs just kinda fizzle and abort (like Rico and Billy) and the second half is largely driven by coincidence and asspull.

(I'm quite happy to wait and see what Monolith Soft do next)
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2016-12-05 at 09:05 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26

So I did think of a few games I'd add to this list that I'd love to see with JUST cosmetic (some combination of visual / UI / soundtrack) reworks. It was pretty difficult though.

• Shadow of the Colossus
    • Robot Alchemic Drive
    • Starcraft: Brood War
    • Twisted Metal

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

27. - Top - End - #27

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    [*]Starcraft: Brood War
    https://www.sc2mapster.com/maps/starcraft-mass-recall/

28. - Top - End - #28

PirateGuy

Deus Ex.

Great, great game. Garbage to look at.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

I'd like to see the Quest for Glory games re-released something like the recent Shadowrun games... not those mechanics, precisely (it would be wrong for QfG), but with a single, modern core engine, that you can run your Hero through the entire series.

The recent Shadowrun games would be pretty killer for Fallout 1&2, for course.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

30. - Top - End - #30

^ This.

Also GunZ: The Duel (GunZ: the second duel tried to do this but removed all the animation canceling aspects of the game!) only because I was majorly into the competitive scene of that game and I'd love to see it touch a new generation of players.
    Last edited by Reprimand; 2016-12-05 at 01:16 PM.