New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: d20 Starcraft

1. - Top - End - #1

Default d20 Starcraft

Does anyone know of a good d20 Starcraft game? I've done some searching around the web and there are a few dozen attempts out there, but I haven't found any that really seem complete or coherent enough to use. I know there was a Alternity Starcraft setting a while back, but I've lost all my sources for that one over the years and can't find it again, and I've always been more of a d20 guy.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Default Re: d20 Starcraft

There was the old D20 Modern and Dark Matter stuff. You could use that to refluff one perhaps, though I can't understand why you'd want to. I've become increasingly disenchanted with D20 over the years, especially for modern settings. If Pathfinder ever finishes the Starfinder stuff, you might could use some of that. It logically should have most of what you need with the exception of actual vehicles.

Shadowrun's system might be a better go, using Magic for Psychic powers (heavily limited, of course. Mystic Adepts would make great Ghosts.) and Cyberware for the Terran power armors. Of course, you'd have to hand make anything bigger than infantry, but also infantry are pretty much dead from any larger weapons anyway. Every Protoss could be a Physical Adept with minor tech added to the mix.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm only passingly familiar with Starcraft, but if you're willing to look beyond d20 games, your best bet might be adapting one of the WH40kRP family of games from Fantasy Flight (although they are now all OOP, so might be a pain to get hold of). It depends on what your campaign setup is, and the games are intended to be very specific to the setting, but 40k and Starcraft share enough similarities that you should be able to get away with it. As for the individual games...

Deathwatch will give the players power armour, boltguns and a superhuman physique, and the monster stats for Tyranids will likely need minimal adaption to represent Zerg. Rogue Trader meanwhile covers non-superhuman (but still extremely wealthy and powerful) player characters, and I think includes monster stats for Eldar who are probably the closest you'll find to the Protoss. Dark Heresy is a much lower-power-level game covering the exploits of characters with capabilities barely above that of the average citizen. All games include options for psychic abilities, generally through a specific class, though in 40k psychic powers are powerful and very risky to use so if you don't want to apply that aspect, you might need to find another way to balance psychic powers.

If you're firm about using a d20 game though, Starfinder will probably be your best bet given Paizo's favourable reputation.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

d20 Modern with the d20 Space book will likely cover what you need.