Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Griffon

Default Re: Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerGunther View Post
    I'm sure that if they open up a hell portal, one of their man and half, half machine 12.0 on the 10.0 scale of badness Human Plus subjects will clear the facility with just a chaingun and HIS HANDS.

that's your spinal cord baby, dig it.
    I'm pretty sure while he COULD do it with just a chaingun and his hands, he'd also use a chainsaw, rocket launcher, two different types of shotguns, a heavy assault rifle, a plasma rifle, railgun, pistol, and what can only be described as a BFG.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkstar View Post
    a heavy assault rifle THAT SHOOTS MICROMISSILES PEW PEW PEW KAPLOWY
    You left out the heavy assault rifle's best feature.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, this is a setting where two corporations, one with Slavery, indentured servitude and Janissaries and the other being the YAKUZA/TRIAD are the LEAST evil people.

We also have:
    - less genocidal Enclave (New Rhodes... or whats left of NORAD)
    - the company that makes terrifying bioweapons in their secret applied biodynamics corporation (CT)
    -Phyrexian/Demon/Vampire/Machine Cultists/Doom 4 UAC (DIS)
    - I have no idea what Spiral Tech is hiding but it's supposedly worse than Bei-Fong and KROSSCorp
    This is, of course, somewhat oversimplified on every front describable, though not wrong, per se.

Spoiler: No actual spoilers unless you aren't caught up with the journal
    Show

Spoiler: Indentured Servitude and Slavery in KROSSCorp
    Show
    Indentured Servitude and debt-bondage are actually legal in all but name throughout the Layers; these people do still have legal status, but the general legal milieu even in places that aren't under direct corporate control looks a little bit like the Lochner era on steroids, corruption and all. That said, KROSSCorp takes things a step further, outright selling prisoners, criminals, and the occasional desperate who sells themselves into slavery to Noble-caste Kroznat Citizens as chattel. Under Arcadian/Kroznat law, while slaves are not completely without rights (it's still not legal to murder them, for example, and there are some restrictions on how one is allowed to punish them), they do gain a very different set from citizens and it's not a desirable life for most. KROSSCorp's private military forces are partially composed of Citizen Officers commanding a team of their own slaves. It's also possible to be a Janissary of the Company, which affords a sort of odd prestige: While one in this position is likely going to be fighting for Krozna until they die, they only have to take orders from Bureaucracy/chain of command and are afforded many of the same privileges as Citizen Officers, and citizens in general.

Spoiler: Bei Fong Syndicate
    Show
    They really are a blended-together pastiche of various real-life criminal groups such as the Mafia and yes, the Yakuza/Triads. I'd avoid attaching an 'ethnic gang' component to them in this case: Despite the eastern-sounding name, the Bei Fong "Family" is not composed of any particular ancestry or race, and includes people of virtually all appearances. (The name Bei Fong was actually stolen pretty much shamelessly from A:TLA; it was supposed to be a placeholder until I came up with something better, but it ended up sticking.)

It's not true that they control all crime. However, if someone starts making waves and isn't already affiliated with them, they'll probably find some Bei Fong enforcers knocking on their door sooner or later - possibly even Iron Clan agents.

Spoiler: New Rhodes
    Show

It's been strongly implied that New Rhodes started out as a remnant of NORAD, yes, between the name and placing it directly under Cheyenne Mountain. It's a city now: I think the description I gave was "Imagine Minas Tirith crossed with East Berlin, minus the sun". While New Rhodes Ballistics is a post-destruction Corporation, it's since become for all intents and purposes a military junta in command of the city, the fortress and sensor hub at the top of the city, and outlying territories; at this point NRB is less a MegaCorp and more of a statewide company store.

Spoiler: CT
    Show
    Applied Biodynamics isn't actually a secret; they literally appeared in a newspaper headline during interlude 3. Their activities are super sketchy though, and they hadn't publicly admitted to bioweapons research before the KCLF stole some of it. Bioweapons research is not the extent of CT's crimes against humanity, but they've kept a better lid on most of that and saying too much about it here would definitely be spoilers. Suffice it to say that they're worse than NRB.

Spoiler: Drake Imperial Sciences
    Show
    Most of those things carry baggage that doesn't actually apply to DIS; I wouldn't describe them as cultists, since while their leaders do have an agenda beyond cynically making money, it's a largely secular philosophy. Phyrexians in particular were not an intentional inspiration, though I'll admit that the end result looks pretty similar minus the slavering devotion to Yawgmoth.

Given that this setting is lacking in outright magic (...probably. Beyond the level needed to make mechs practical in the first place, anyway), opening a Hell-portal is not a likely outcome of their activities. Probably.

Spoiler: Spiral Tech
    Show

That would be telling.

Spoiler
    Show

Normal Avatar by Thormag!

Earthbound Immortal Uru avatar by Strawberries

Hot Mech-on-Mech Action: A Campaign Journal

4. - Top - End - #64
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Just posting to sub and give my support to the writer. This is very different from any other journal I've found on this board, and quite enjoyable!

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

And I hope that you roll only boxcars, and your foes roll only snake eyes. Become greatest Ranked AC pilot by luck alone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, Buddy just took out #46 AC Angry Cactus Needles with boxcars.

So he's on his way. I'd wait for blade on this one, because there's no way I can describe the AWESOME CLUTCH (seriously, Bergentruckung and two other allied mechs were down, it was a clutch) and do it justice.
    Last edited by TriggerGunther; 2016-12-26 at 12:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Griffon

Well, Buddy just took out #46 AC Angry Cactus Needles with boxcars.

So he's on his way. I'd wait for blade on this one, because there's no way I can describe the AWESOME CLUTCH (seriously, Bergentruckung and two other allied mechs were down, it was a clutch) and do it justice.
    This sounds like it's going to be an epic thing to read, but Bergentruckung going down doesn't surprise me (As much as I love your wolf mech with missiles and big guns). But Buddy being the luckiest pilot with the crappiest mech (As far as I can tell from its description) is just too awesome.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Legitimate Spoilers
    Show

It was indeed a very lucky shot. That one, well-placed shot immediately turned the situation from "Oh god we're going to die here" to "Wait, did we just win?".
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

But Buddy being the luckiest pilot with the crappiest mech (As far as I can tell from its description) is just too awesome.

The mech might sound bad at first, but the number of missiles and rockets on it are what really make it shine.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. LAW Mundy View Post
    The mech might sound bad at first, but the number of missiles and rockets on it are what really make it shine.
    It's actually nowhere near as crappy as it was in mission one. It was being held together by duct tape in mission one.

Now it's got a proper closed cockpit, all it's parts are no longer decrepit, it's got medium (now Medium/Heavy) missiles instead of light missiles, it's a REALLY solid missile boat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Which sucked in that fight because Angry Cactus has TWIN Bei-Fong Lánjiés (anti missile systems).

Once again, I'd wait for blade's write up. I can't do it justice.
    Last edited by TriggerGunther; 2016-12-26 at 12:01 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Now it's got a proper closed cockpit, all it's parts are no longer decrepit, it's got medium (now Medium/Heavy) missiles instead of light missiles, it's a REALLY solid missile boat.

Which sucked in that fight because Angry Cactus has TWIN Bei-Fong Lánjiés (anti missile system.

My character Buddy is from the Waste, so he already disliked cactuses cacti. This mission made him hate them more. That Angry Cactus mech was every weakness of the AC DoomedGuy all at once. It was a nightmare.
    Last edited by Dr. LAW Mundy; 2017-01-26 at 06:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Banned

Griffon

My character Buddy is from the Waste, so he already disliked cactuses cacti. This mission made him hate them more. That Angry Cactus mech was every weakness of the AC DoomedGuy all at once. It was a nightmare.
    If you hadn't upgraded your mech to be Not A Rickety Deathtrap, it would have been helpless against an endless onslaught of perfect boxcars from you, and perfect snake eyes from him. (Counting armor rolls as his)

12. - Top - End - #72
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

If you hadn't upgraded your mech to be Not A Rickety Deathtrap, it would have been helpless against an endless onslaught of perfect boxcars from you, and perfect snake eyes from him. (Counting armor rolls as his)

I'm just thankful that I got boxcars when they were most needed. If I'm alive at the end of the episode, it's a good day.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

In case the thread doesn't do it's updating thing or notify anyone, I've gone back and added bergentruckung's picture to the relevant post.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Remind's me of a Zoids Command Wolf. Which I believe is the intent?
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kane0 View Post
    Remind's me of a Zoids Command Wolf. Which I believe is the intent?
    Close, But No Cigar. It's actually an RZ-053 Heavy Arms Koenig Wolf as opposed to the RZ-009 Command Wolf, but I'm not going to blame you for not knowing the difference.

It's actually just a recolored version of a drawing I did of a friend's Sentient Zoid OC from another RP that's way too complicated to get into.

I also know way too much about Zoids for someone who's never owned a model kit or seen a single episode of the anime.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

Only having seen one if the shows, I was only subject to the blue one :P

If it were Battletech trivia you'd be totally justified in blaming me for a wrong answer.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

My apologies, everyone. The next entry of this journal has hit some delays. I've decided to split it into two parts (there is no clear Mission/Interlude separation in this one), and part 1 is mostly complete but is unlikely to be published this weekend for reasons.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is actually a false statement; thanks to Needles' Speed, your missiles were the weapons that had the best shot to hit that AC due to the bonus to hit and ignoring the movement bonus to dodge. She just kept getting lucky with her AMS defenses, and the missile that landed hit the part of the mech that didn't massively weaken it.

Of the current crop of PCs, I think Buddy actually had the best odds of taking Saguaro out, aside from possibly Blossom. Blossom wouldn't have been likely to land a hit on her own, but her EWS system would have made it easier for someone else to beat her down.

I'm just thankful that I got boxcars when they were most needed. If I'm alive at the end of the episode, it's a good day.
    A very Waster attitude, that.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is actually a false statement; thanks to Needles' Speed, your missiles were the weapons that had the best shot to hit that AC due to the bonus to hit and ignoring the movement bonus to dodge.

Ooh, good call! I completely forgot about that!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Ooh, good call! I completely forgot about that!
    Spoiler
    Show
    You also can make the most attacks per turn out of anyone (until you run out of rocket/missile ammo, then you lose to Bergentruckung in melee range), statistically giving you the most opportunities to roll an automatic hit against her.
    Last edited by TriggerGunther; 2016-12-25 at 11:00 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

You also can make the most attacks per turn out of anyone (until you run out of rocket/missile ammo, then you lose to Bergentruckung in melee range), statistically giving you the most opportunities to roll an automatic hit against her.

Spoiler: Mech Stat
    Show
    Wait, speaking of Bergentruckung in melee range, is it possible to upgrade its head to have more than 1 HP? Because I highly recommend that.
    Last edited by Dr. LAW Mundy; 2017-01-26 at 06:52 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Wait, speaking of Bergentruckung in melee range, is it possible to upgrade its head to have more than 1 HP? Because I highly recommend that.
    Blade says we need to keep the player banter to a minimum, so text him your skype so we aren't clogging up the thread.
    Last edited by TriggerGunther; 2016-12-25 at 10:59 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Fascinating campaign so far. I'll be watching for updates to the bible as much as to the campaign log, I love worldbuilding (even if it's Frankensteining together settings I don't know).
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Interlude, Trigger and Buddy starring in: The Road Warriors (Part 1)
    Show

Spoiler: Email Contact
    Show

Recipients: Trigger
    Sender: Lunar_Bunny@concord.net
    Subject: Watch Out
    Text: Better keep an eye out, I've got some nice new parts after my last run. That truce was a one-night deal, and we still have unfinished business.
    (OOC Note: Lunatic Eye completed one of the contracts that the PCs ignored while the PCs were doing Mission 3, which was one of a number of options.)

Recipients: Trigger
    Sender: Summer_Day@concord.net
    Subject: Going Somewhere?
    Text: While it did not appear on your mission postings due to your...poor relationship with New Rhodes Ballistics, I feel you should be made aware that a mission has been posted to Concord with the objective of destroying AC Plunderer's Folly. I am given to understand that you have elected to schedule a surprise trip to Tir City within the week, so given the circumstances I have arranged for Bergentruckung to be sent along with you in a freight car specialized for moving AC units.

This is not a Concord-sanctioned operation, merely a...personal favor. I cannot assist you further in any direct capacity, I am sorry to say. Good luck.

- K.K. Sonnen
    Recipients: CptRackham@TIRCA.mil
    Sender: TriggerSTS@Concord.net
    Subject: no subject
    -unencrypted message-
    Hey old man, Its the kid who's never going to live down blowing his own eye out when building pipe bombs before that Garrison raid. Almost caught up with you in the rankings, so thought it might be a good time to go see you.
    I'm heading down to Tir this week, I witnessed some stuff going down that I shouldn't have and decided it'd be a good idea to skip town. Drinks are on me when I get there.
    -encrypted message-
    OPERATOR WARNS OF IMPENDING NEW RHODESIAN ATTACK AND BOUNTY ON YOUR HEAD STOP
    BRINGING IN BERGENTRUCKUNG FOR FIRE SUPPORT STOP
    ENEMY FORCE SIZE UNKNOWN EXPECT ARMOR COLUMNS BATTLESUITS AND HIRED ARMORED CORE SUPPORT STOP
    WILLING TO BET AC JADE HARE WILL BE PART OF ATTACK STOP
    DID I MENTION GREIG HAD A SISTER BECAUSE SHE IS PISSED AT ME STOP
    Neither Rackham nor the Tir City Authority responded to this message.

(Musical Suggestion)

The Val City Train Station had a certain strangely rustic charm to it, despite its ultramodern finish: The attendants were friendly in their old-timey uniforms and in spite of everything not a single flashing advertisement soiled the walls...though perhaps slight signs of rust and lack of maintenance did. The train approached almost silently in its magnetized tube, its lights flashing and doors opening as the passengers of the previous trip made their exit. Trigger looked again at his ticket: Fourth car from the back, with the following three consisting of a pair of freight cars and the caboose. One of them he knew contained his pride and joy, Bergentrückung, but the other..?

Buddy: "Hey there, care to share a seat?"

Trigger: "What are you doing here?"

Buddy: "...Sonnen asked me to watch your back. Said you were going down to Tir City for a few days and something seemed fishy."

Trigger: "Figures. The other freight is DoomedGuy then?"

Buddy: "Yep! Patched 'er up, armored up the cockpit, and bought myself a bigger missile launcher."

The two pilots boarded without incident, though Trigger caught a glimpse of someone he knew boarding the next passenger car: Lunatic Eye.

Trigger: "...What's she doing here?"

No answer was forthcoming, though the train's announcement system was quick to announce that boarding was complete. Next stop: Kri City.

Even the blisteringly fast maglev machine took nearly two hours to reach Kri City, and Trigger's instincts felt threatened almost as soon as he arrived: Kri City was a protectorate of the New Rhodes Authority, and he surely had many enemies here. He watched a pair of New Rhodes soldiers scanning passersby for contraband, and caught a glimpse of Lunatic Eye arguing with one of them over her bag. Maybe she had business in town? It didn't matter, really, but it'd be wise to keep an eye on her one way or another. The doors closed again, and the announcement system chimed in: Next stop, Rimtown Station.

Rimtown wasn't a populous city, and was really more of a stop on the line than anything else. The last of the passengers, minus Trigger and Buddy, got off here. Instead of the usual cheery announcement system, however, a gruff male voice called over the loudspeaker.

Engineer: "The scheduled trip to Tir has unfortunately been cancelled due to unknown circumstances. Next trip is to Kri City, at the previously scheduled time. Our apologies for any inconvenience."

After a short discussion with one of the Engineers at Rimtown station, the issue was revealed: The circuitlines through a portion of the tunnel to Tir City were out, indicating possible damage to the train tracks and even potential blockage. Sending a train that way would be a deadly threat to the passengers, so trips to Tir would be cancelled until they could confirm the route's safety or fix whatever issue had occurred.

Trigger: "Damn. Guess we're gonna have to find another way."

Buddy: "The tunnel's big enough to move two ACs through, especially without worrying about a train..."

Trigger: "Let's mount up then."

Fortunately, the specialized freight cars Sonnen had arranged for them included mechanical assistance in moving the heavy machines out of the boxes. The two were still waiting for the winches to finish unwinding when two Rimtown Guards approached them; not NRB Soldiers, at least. Rimtown may theoretically be under the rule of New Rhodes, but this was nevertheless still frontier, and their grip was weaker than it might have been.

Guard 1: "You two, with the ACs! You got a license for that?"

Trigger + Buddy: (Flashing Concord membership cards) "Yep."

Demand met, the guards relaxed their rifles.

Guard 1: "Alright, those look legitimate. Sorry about that; we've had a lot of ACs moving through here lately, and we're trying to crack down on parts smuggling to Tir."

Guard 2: "Seems like everyone's a Concord Pilot now! Would you believe a teenager, a girl no more than fifteen or so, flashed a card just like that at us yesterday? World's going crazy, I'm telling ya."

Guard 1: "Shaddup. You two, if you're planning on heading to Tir, a word of warning: Just use the train tunnel. The labyrinth is a deathtrap, if you get lost down there no one's coming for you."

Guard 2: "Oh, and just a tip? Concord licenses are recognized down here for now, but if you're gonna be operating in New Rhodes' territory, you might want to get a license from the New Rhodes Authority too. Politics are funny, y'know?"

The two pilots nodded; no need to interact with police any more than necessary here. With both Bergentrückung and DoomedGuy dislodged from their containers, they were ready to take the last leg of the trip.

---

The tunnel was long and seemingly empty. They travelled in silence for a short while before Buddy broke the silence.

Buddy: "I'm starting to feel out of my depth in the politics here. You undergrounders really like to make things complicated."

Trigger: "Well, it's a bit of a long story."

Buddy: "We've got time. If I'm going with you to Tir, I want to know what we're walking into."

Trigger: "What, the old lady couldn't tell you herself? She seems to know everything else. Er, don't tell Sonnen I called her that."

Buddy: "Nope. Care to fill me in?"

Trigger: "...Alright. Well, the short version is that Tir City properly broke free of NRB control a year and a half ago. We've been working with the Bei Fong Syndicate to keep it that way; they smuggle in supplies, MTs, and whatever else through the Labyrinth. No one has a reliable map of the Labyrinth, but the Night Market knows a few passages; they're tight-lipped about them too. We trade missiles to the Syndicate."

Buddy: "Missiles?"

Trigger: "NRB wants land for its own sake, but what they were really after in Tir was the Ra/Theo factory, an old missile-manufacturing base. It's been made operational after a good spitshine, and Tir rivals REDGlare's factories for it. It's our biggest trade good, and sort of a big deal: If the Bei Fongs didn't like our missiles so much, we'd be starved out within a year. The Old Man's good in a scrap, but no miracle worker."

Buddy: "...I've gone without food for long stretches before. Never again."

Trigger: "Anyway, Tir's in a tricky situation. We're no one's property but our own, but NRB is always plotting to reconquer, and we'd be up a creek without Bei Fong trade. I think the Bei Fongs just like pissing NRB off, but we're still pretty dependent on them."

Buddy: "Who's this Old Man?"

Trigger: "Oh, a pilot called Rackham. Sort of a big deal, Hero of the Resistance and all that. I'll introduce you."

---

(Musical Suggestion)

The two headed onward in silence for some time through a silent tunnel, until they caught a glimpse of something in the darkness:

Buddy: "Contact coming up. Looks like a blockade."

Trigger: "...New Rhodes Army. Got to be. Probably cut the circuit to keep the train away too."

???: "Two unidentified ACs approaching...wait, one of them's Trigger! All units, fire on the insurgent and his accomplice!"

Trigger: "...Figures, really."

The blockade was a formidable force, though one clearly intended to stop supply vehicles rather than a pair of ACs. A simple barricade was manned by four Solomon MTs, a pair of Jeshua MTs, and a single M2 Isaac Tank; the last of these drew immediate alarm.

Trigger: "Buddy, concentrate fire on the tank, that thing will rip us apart in no time!"

(Setting Note: The M2 Isaac is NRB's top-of-the-line Main Battle Tank, and represents a significant upgrade in durability and firepower over the older M1 Abraham. Trigger's threat analysis is correct: A single M2 Isaac Tank is similar in cost and overall threat to a typical AC unit, and its main cannon is equivalent in range and firepower to a mech-sized Sniper Cannon. It also has a rotating machinegun and enough mass to literally crush a light mech under its treads. This specific tank also happens to be equipped with Explosive Reactive Armor, though not all M2 Isaac tanks have that upgrade.)

Trigger's reaction time proved the best of anyone present, launching a trio of rockets at the tank and opening fire with his brand-new NRB-57 machinegun in an effort to blitz down the singular tank before it could bring its cannons to bear. Unfortunately, all three rockets exploded harmlessly against the tank's superior armor, and the bullets did little more than scratch up the turret, to the pilot's utter disbelief.

Trigger: "Are you kidding me?!"

Tank Operator: (Maniacal laughter)

Trigger and Buddy quickly worked to put some distance between themselves and the enemy; they wouldn't be able to escape the Tank's line of fire, but at least they wouldn't be torn apart by the slower MTs with heavy machineguns and grenade launchers. Taking his parting shots, Buddy fired two missiles and a rocket at the tank: One again exploded harmlessly against its armor, but the second managed to penetrate part of the turret, leaving a flaming hole in the warmachine's side. The rocket went wide.

Still, it was a fleeting triumph. The Solomons and Jeshuas advanced in a line, aiming their weapons and readying to fire as soon as the intruders were in range, and the tank lined up a shot against Bergentrückung - Trigger boosted right just fast enough for the high-velocity shell to zip by without damage.

Buddy: "Oh wow, yeah, let's...not get hit by that."

The pair wisely retreated further, realizing that they had both a speed and a range advantage over the MTs, and could stay out of their range if not the tank's. Trigger launched another trio of rockets and continued spraying the field with bullets, and though the bullets did little one of the rockets hit the weakened area of the tank's turret, further compounding the damage. Buddy launched another pair of missiles, and managed to land another consecutive hit on the turret: The resulting blast twisted the main cannon severely, ensuring the tank would not be able to fire again.

Trigger: "Yeah, take that!"

The MTs dug in further, taking cover and preparing to fire when they returned to range...but the tank wasn't about to take its damage lying down. The smoking mass of metal lurched forward upon its massive treads, crushing the barricade underneath it as it crossed half the distance between the checkpoint and Trigger in mere seconds! Fortunately for Trigger and Buddy, the concentrated of Bergentrücking's bullets and DoomedGuy's salvo of rockets and missiles managed to land two solid hits on the machine's treads, stopping it in its tracks.

Buddy: "We've got to finish this, I'm down to two missiles and a rocket."

Trigger: "Well, at least you've got that. I'm down to just the '57 now."

The MTs took advantage of the lull: Buddy had strayed just a little too close to the enemy weapons' range. Both Jeshua MTs skated forward on their boosters and brought their heavy weapons to bear against DoomedGuy. Buddy managed to dodge one explosion, but the second grenade was unavoidable and he narrowly managed to throw up his shield in time to prevent it from blowing a hole through his chassis. Even so, the shield was nearly blown in half and DoomedGuy stumbled backward against the force of the explosive charge.

Buddy: "Agh, forgot how hard those things can hit!"

Trigger wasted no time in leaping forward to spray down the offending heavy MT with two bursts from his '57. Shielding itself with one arm, the steel gorilla's armor deflected the first few bullets, but sustained fire proved too much for its armor and the machine was seriously damaged. Buddy proceeded to finish what Trigger started, rushing forward to put two pistol rounds right through the gaping holes in its armor to finish it off...and desperately launching the remainder of his explosives at the second Jeshua, destroying it with a barrage of overwhelming firepower.

Though they successfully eliminated both of the Jeshua MTs before they could bring their heavy weapons to bear once more, Trigger and Buddy unfortunately neglected to stay out of the range of the four Solomons waiting for them to get close enough to blitz down...and blitz they did! Three opened fire on Trigger and one on Buddy, and that might have been the end of it were it not for a stroke of luck: Two of the ones shooting at Trigger managed to encounter a weapon jam, and the remaining fire ripped apart Bergentrücking's shield rather than its chassis. The Solomon MT firing upon Buddy proved to be embarrassingly poor at its job and simply couldn't land a hit.

Their most limited resources spent, the two ACs were quick to pull back. Trigger remembered that his NRB-57 had a longer effective range than the Solomons' NRB-5s, and he was faster than them too. He could kite them with impunity, and after he harassed them at range for a short bit, the MT pilots realized it too.

Solomon Pilot: "Screw this, I'm not gonna die for the army today!"

The other three quickly agreed and the remaining enemy forces began their retreat, heading for a narrow Labyrinth entrance in the sidewall of the train tunnel, just slightly too small to fit an AC through. Trigger fired upon the retreating units, but only took one down before the three survivors managed to clear the gap and move beyond his reach. With the last of the Solomons escaped into the hole, the two rounded on the disabled tank.

Trigger: (over mech-sized loudspeaker) "Come out with your hands up!"

The tank's hatch cracked open, and three men in dark NRB uniforms climbed out in surrender, arms raised and pleading for their lives.

Trigger: "Throw your weapons to the ground."

Looking at each other in panic, all three nodded their heads and threw their service pistols to the ground in front of them. Bergentrückung stepped forward, and twisted its foot to grind the weapons into uselessness as the tank crew watched helplessly.

Trigger: "...Now flee into the Labyrinth before I change my mind."

They didn't need to be told twice, sprinting and nearly tripping over their own feet in their haste to reach safety.

Buddy: "You know they probably have some food and resources squirrelled away in there, maybe even a camp, right? It's what I would do."

Trigger: "Maybe. I'm gonna reconnect the Train circuit, can you get the Tank off the tracks?"

It didn't take them too long to restore the track to working order. Trigger's repair expertise was primarily of use with damaged mechs, but he knew his stuff well enough to put a damaged fusebox back together. They considered dragging the remains of the tank with them to Tir City for salvage, but eventually decided it'd be too much work with the treads out and left it on the service road instead.

Trigger: "We should head out, we're almost to Tir."

For now, their destination beckoned. With the checkpoint cleared, there was nothing keeping them from reaching Tir City.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

The next log entry is up! Part 2 is coming when I finish writing it, which may take a bit.

Blade says we need to keep the player banter to a minimum, so text him your skype so we aren't clogging up the thread.
    Yeah, I don't mind if you guys are here, but that sort of chat is why we have a (private) skype thread. Also because unmarked spoilers are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Fascinating campaign so far. I'll be watching for updates to the bible as much as to the campaign log, I love worldbuilding (even if it's Frankensteining together settings I don't know).
    Well, nothing new under the sun, you know?

But really, I also enjoy worldbuilding quite a bit! Hence my torturing myself by writing up my own setting from almost scratch, even if I've been liberally borrowing elements from various Armored Core games, the base setting, and even other things I've written in the past. (And if I'm being honest, at least half of the NPC pilots are references of some sort, whether that's to some media or to previous DnD characters of mine or whathaveyou.)
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Blade, you need to finish part 2 and Blossom's solo session.

Poor Thread is dead without it.
    Spoiler: PROUD PILOT OF AC BERGENTRUCKUNG
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Interlude, Trigger and Buddy starring in: The Road Warriors (Part 2)
    Show

(Musical Suggestion)

Buddy and Trigger didn't have much further to go before their destination was in sight: The Gate of Triumph guarding the entrance to Tir City was ugly in an oddly grand way, built from many tons of coarse ironwork spraypainted with phrases like "Die NRB!" and "Freedom for the People!" They didn't have long to stare before something else demanded their attention, though.

Radio: "This is Sergeant Choi of the Tir City Free Army. Two ACs, please identify - we have missiles locked."

Trigger: "Sandy? Is that you?"

Sandy: "Herman! What are you doing here?"

Trigger: "Apparently, clearing out NRB blockades."

Sandy: "...I'd wondered how you got through that. Captain Rackham was just organizing a team to go clear them out. Who's the other pilot?"

Trigger: "I've been going by Trigger for a while now, and I'm here with Buddy, he's a friend. Identification, AC Bergentruckung and AC DoomedGuy, requesting entry, Hangar space, a repair team, and some ammo."

Sandy: "Alright, I'm clearing you for Bay 7. How's the damage? You did us a favor, so I figure I can pull some strings and get you service on the house. Heh, your old room in the Barracks is open too. Aaaaand...reserved."

Trigger: "Thanks, Sandy."

Sandy: "No problem. Follow the signals and we'll show you to your hangar. Come up and visit me when you have a minute? We can have a drink and catch up a bit."

Trigger: "Alright, tell the Old Man hi for me."

Sandy: "You'll probably see him before I do, but I'll let him know you're here. Take care, Trigger."

The iron colossus before them cracked open with a terrible grinding noise, granting the pair access to the military district of the city. Without further ado they followed a trail of Free Army Soldiers with marshalling beacons to the aforementioned Bay 7, and headed out to rest a bit in Trigger's old room in the barracks.

Trigger: "Hey, my old records are still here."

A few hours and a trip to the market later, Trigger had whipped up a batch of his Ma's Cricket Gumbo recipe and was about to serve it when someone knocked on the door. Buddy proceeded to casually throw the door open, revealing a brown-haired, clean-shaven fellow in his early thirties clad in a naval captain's coat and a tricorne hat. Looking forward with mild surprise, he sheepishly rapped his fist against the doorframe a few more times in lieu of a door.

Trigger: "Old man! Was just about to serve lunch if you're hungry."

((OOC Note: Trigger's player remembered that he had the cooking skill on his sheet and found an excuse to use it.))

The man grinned widely and stepped in, right past Buddy, throwing his coat and hat on the rack next to the door.

Rackham: "If I'd known you were stopping by, I'd have rolled out the welcoming mat. As is, I'm afraid you'll have to make do with just me. Not gonna turn down a free meal though." (Flashes a grin to the man still standing by the door) "You must be Buddy, right?"

At Buddy's nod, Rackham smiled, and as everyone sat down to eat, he leaned back in the chair, twirled his spoon, took a few bites, and made conversation.

Rackham: "This is pretty damn good, Trigger. Didn't even know you could cook, actually."

Trigger: "You pick up a few things."

Rackham: "Well, it's good work. Hey Buddy, what do you..."

Both looked over to see Buddy messily devouring the stew as if he hadn't eaten in days.

Rackham: "...I think he likes it too. So, Trigger, I hear you're slippin' up the ranks, and I have to ask: The hell's goin' on up there?! Concord scoring is crazy at the best of times, but..."

Trigger: "I dunno what's up, but..." (smiles faintly) "At this rate I'll pass you within another month."

Rackham: "Pshaw. So, Buddy, where are you from?"

Buddy: (A little awkwardly, not used to being asked) "Uh, the Wastes."

Rackham: "Well, I could guess that much. Not too many Layer Folk have a natural tan, and you don't look orange enough for it to be fake. What part are you from? Jemeztown? Old Salt Lake? Whiteland? Some podunk I've never heard of? Oh, you aren't from Dhamburlan, are you?"

Buddy: "What? No, just...from the wastes. I've never even heard of half of those. Crawled out of a shelter, fixed myself up an old wreck of an AC, and eventually found my way here."

Rackham: (laughing) "Ha! You sure you ain't a younger me?"

Trigger: "How do you know so much about the wastes? I knew you weren't born here, but I never did find out where you came from. Just came barrelling in out of the blue five years ago and singlehandedly put the rebellion on the map."

Rackham: "Have I never told you, Trigger? Huh. I'm actually from Old Salt Lake, 'fore KPS - that is, Cerulean Horizons, bombed it to hell and the whole Wasatch region got declared no-go."

Trigger: "Huh. So Plunderer's Folly..."

Rackham: "Funny story: I found an old NX-series Beta Trainer wrecked in the desert. Ended up fixing it up."

(Setting Note: The NX-series is a project from about two decades ago that ended in disaster, though the details remain elusive. What IS known is that it was intended to produce a new class of military operators, AI units trained in a simulation to pilot ACs as their bodies. Something went terribly wrong, causing most of the AIs to ultimately go insane...and to be released into the wild. While there may be sane NX-series AI in hiding, most NX-units are dangerous to themselves and others, and wander the wastes or less frequented parts of the Layers. While NX-units are AI cores, their trainer ACs were made from standard parts and pulling the AI core out of one would yield a mech usable by a human pilot. Trigger rolled well on a knowledge check and learned all of this information.)

Trigger: "NX-series...you pried out the pilot then?"

Rackham: "Course I did, I'm not crazy. Speaking of crazy, you two did a good job clearing out that Blockade. I was worried I'd have to drag Elegant out of her goddamned beauty sleep, and no one wants to deal with her when she's like that. No matter how good she is."

Trigger: "Sorry, who? Is she a ranker?"

Rackham: "Yeah, she is, and we only have her help because the Bei Fongs sent her out here; Probably just to get rid of her. She's prissy and insufferable, but damn if she isn't good in a fight. Shame about her operations lifetime though: Never seen her take a hit, but she seems to run out of ammo every time we go out. And she won't stop complaining about our lack of culture down here."

Trigger: "Wow, are all of the Bei Fong pilots that bad?"

Rackham: "Nah, Swift and Ebon are great, though that boy needs to take some edge off. And Doc is...wait, you know her. Remember Hannah? Hannah Velasquez."

Trigger: "Wait, that Hannah? The medic?"

Rackham: "Yeah, she went up to Sung City and got herself some field training and a GPAC. Shame she's really too useful outside the AC to risk out in the field; someone needs to patch our people up afterward."

Trigger: "Huh. Maybe I should go say hi."

Rackham: "Well, thanks again for clearing that blockade. Now we can focus on the Labyrinth; maybe that way NRB won't literally starve us out in a few months."

Buddy: "...Starve?"

Rackham: "We trade for food through the Night Market. I don't want to get into details here, but we think NRB's planning on interfering with our supply routes in the Labyrinth."

The older man frowned, his bowl clean, and stood up to leave.

Rackham: "Thanks for the meal, Trigger. I think I should get back to work, but if you're planning on sticking around for a few days, we could use your help. We'll cover any repair costs you incur, of course. This is a TirCA operation, not a mercenary contract. I can't pay you, but..."

Trigger: "Do you still have those discretionary surplus missiles?"

Rackham: (Smiling faintly) "Well, I might be able to hook something up. You two have a good night, and come see me in the morning if you're interested."

It wasn't much longer before he was out the door, leaving Trigger and Buddy with little more than dirty dishes and another fight to look forward to.

This isn't over, but I've had writer's block and haven't updated in a while, so here's Part 2 and the rest of it will be split into another part.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Spoiler: Interlude, Trigger and Buddy starring in: The Road Warriors (Part 2)
    Show
    Things Concord Pilots are no longer allowed to do.
    11c. Playing ‘Shoot to Thrill’ over the speakers moments before dropping a red and yellow AC out of the back of the Barracuda is ill advised.
    11ci. Even if bystanders stopped to applaud.
    Last edited by TriggerGunther; 2017-01-07 at 05:33 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Hey all. So Blade has been busy and had writers block, but there have been missions since the last post. 3 to be precise, 2 side games (Asami, Stan and Lightning) and a main one.

Spoiler: Legit Mission 4 Spoilers
    Show
    So Trigger just commited an 0.5 on the Henderson Scale of Plot Derailment and possibly split the party forever.
    Spoiler: PROUD PILOT OF AC BERGENTRUCKUNG
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Hey, just got done reading this journal after looking for more mecha stuff while doing my own mech campaign journal. Really enjoyed it, hope the writer's block wears off for you soon, I'd love to read more.
    Just call me Diego. Mr. Havoc was my father.
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Hey, just got done reading this journal after looking for more mecha stuff while doing my own mech campaign journal. Really enjoyed it, hope the writer's block wears off for you soon, I'd love to read more.
    You'll be pleased to know then that I haven't totally abandoned it, just need to make better use of my time and such. >.>
    Spoiler
    Show