New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Spoiler: New comic
    Show

Yes, the ambassador indeed use the sceptre as much as he can. Now I'm really curious as how it can be stopped...peraphs there is a way to breack the sceptre?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

He doesn't immediately know the outcome of his altered decisions, he could use it again to see whether his new plan works, but the usage time(uncluding reaction time) is small but non zero so there are limits. And knowing what comes doesn't automatically mean you can react in a way that is successful . See any jump and run with unchanging levels. It is super powerful but it is theratically possible that he comes in a situation where he doesn't find a solution fast enough. Or just gets sloppy.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

Or they can actively manipulate the outcome when they see him use the sceptre. Like attacking from the right in the simulation, and attacking in the left in the real world. But that means they have to sacrifice the simulated world to win in the real world. And they would have to guess from the Ambassador's reaction in which world they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    50% analysis, 40% jokes, 10% depression
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

4. - Top - End - #124

This scene was a bit weird to me, who lets someone holding a big knife in a potentially hostile situation just walk up to them?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Until she killed the guard Lilith sounded reasonable. Trixie is hiding in a closet in a disguise, and she has a motive to hurt the president. Only Klara's intervention speaks for her. Then Lilith gaied trust with the guard by instantly submitting to his order. Then she made a good poker face and stabbed him when he let his guard down.
    “The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine.”
    ― Joseph Stalin

6. - Top - End - #126

I know that is the intention of the comic, I am just not buying it.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welf View Post
    Or they can actively manipulate the outcome when they see him use the sceptre. Like attacking from the right in the simulation, and attacking in the left in the real world. But that means they have to sacrifice the simulated world to win in the real world. And they would have to guess from the Ambassador's reaction in which world they are.
    I think you're on to something there. I could see that being a thing. That could devolve if the ambassador catches on and then tries to make the real world seem like a simulation, or something like that.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sty.silver View Post
    I think you're on to something there. I could see that being a thing. That could devolve if the ambassador catches on and then tries to make the real world seem like a simulation, or something like that.
    The problem is, they don't know about the simulation, do they? I don't think Audrey had time to mention that part to Lyndon before killing him.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh, duh. You're right.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Update

Spoiler
    Show
    Lyndon guessed how the sceptre works. And their conundrum.
    ― Joseph Stalin

11. - Top - End - #131

Just need to instantly kill him from behind, if he doesn't know how he died the info is of much more limited value. (Or did the scepter show you your surroundings, not sure?) Which is easier said than done.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Just need to instantly kill him from behind, if he doesn't know how he died the info is of much more limited value. (Or did the scepter show you your surroundings, not sure?) Which is easier said than done.
    Even if the scepter only shows the first person view, he would still have a reaction like "that was a really weird death, I didn't say anything to myself, I didn't see what killed me, but it happened in a hallway like the one up ahead. Guards, surround me while I touch the scepter and try going another way."
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Pixie in the Playground

Klara is the real hero of this story.

Edit: Damn, look at this! What did I say?

Lykke seems to just do whatever the ambassador tells him to, even if it isn't in his own self-interest. We know from the vision that he doesn't actually care about keeping the Tsar in power.
    Last edited by sty.silver; 2019-10-25 at 02:49 AM.

14. - Top - End - #134

If they have time to pick an action from the hat they also have time to just decide to do something else it is not like they can't hear him too. Unless he pulls something like "That wasn't an real prediction, I tried shouting this and we won after!" fights just move too fast and involve too many people reacting to any changes for this method. Though he can indeed catch traps.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

So, hats are a source of true randomness in this world, and cannot be predicted. Good to know.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    So, hats are a source of true randomness in this world, and cannot be predicted. Good to know.
    It's mostly that whenever they hear the ambassador tell their plans, they draw a new plan. And they do this faster than the ambassador can tell about new visions.

So the ambassador gets a vision of Plan 1, in that simulated vision he doesn't warn the snout elves out loud about it, so Audrey doesn't draw a new plan. Back to the real world, he warns the elves, so Audrey draws a new plan.

The point of divergence is the ambassador acting on the knowledge he acquired through the wand. And since his aim is to thwart Audrey's and Lyndon's plans, he has to introduce a divergence. It's just that Audrey and Lyndon have figured out a way to game the system and make these changed outcomes work for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    It's mostly that whenever they hear the ambassador tell their plans, they draw a new plan. And they do this faster than the ambassador can tell about new visions.

So the ambassador gets a vision of Plan 1, in that simulated vision he doesn't warn the snout elves out loud about it, so Audrey doesn't draw a new plan. Back to the real world, he warns the elves, so Audrey draws a new plan.

The point of divergence is the ambassador acting on the knowledge he acquired through the wand. And since his aim is to thwart Audrey's and Lyndon's plans, he has to introduce a divergence. It's just that Audrey and Lyndon have figured out a way to game the system and make these changed outcomes work for them.
    Ah, right. So his countermove is to prevent Audrey from hearing him. Get some earphones for his underlings maybe.

Though... that would still require the plans he predicts they'll use to have een already drawn, which we don't see, or for him saying things to influence which note they draw. That second one in particular is certainly not impossible, but it's good to know that those are the rules of this story. Randomness in time travel stories (and such) can get weird.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2019-11-12 at 08:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138

19. - Top - End - #139
    Pixie in the Playground

Quick thinking by Trixie there. That changes the power dymanic quite a bit.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay that was hilarious
    ― Joseph Stalin

21. - Top - End - #141

That spell was both more powerful and more undirected than I thought. And yeah it was funny.

22. - Top - End - #142

Now talk about hoist by her own petard... definitely chuckleworthy.

That'll teach that sorceress to be a one-trick pony... resort too much on the same spell, and you have only yourself to blame for becoming so predictable.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2019-11-16 at 03:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #143
    Pixie in the Playground

The last chapter managed to make me feel sorry for the ambassador. My sense of empathy is scope insensitive to the amount of bad the character has actually done or was intending to do. Which in his case is gigantic.

I think we are back to all main characters having plot armor. Which is normal for Thorsby, I'd say, but the simulation part tricked the reader into thinking it was lifted.

Theoretically, the ambassador could have used the scepter of death 1000 times in advance, or even in the way, in order to obtain all relevant information about the location. Somewhere in there, the catapult thing would have shown up. He did not use it to its full potential.
    Last edited by sty.silver; 2019-11-19 at 08:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

MindFlayer

"Epilogue 1". Can this be the end, after about four years?

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

I would think so, yes. I was thinking it was winding down with the past few updates.

Looking forward to the next project. Once this story is completely over, of course :)

26. - Top - End - #146
    Pixie in the Playground

I hope there will be a next project. I'm a bit scared that Thorsby might decide to stop.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sty.silver View Post
    I hope there will be a next project. I'm a bit scared that Thorsby might decide to stop.
    That would suck. I've enjoyed all the ones I've read.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Pixie in the Playground

I really appreciate just how weird the world in this comic is. That needs to be said.

And this is really looking like a thoroughly happy ending.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Another project would be nice. Though I would hope the art would improve if that's the case. It's... serviceable.

30. - Top - End - #150

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Another project would be nice. Though I would hope the art would improve if that's the case. It's... serviceable.
    Go back to Hitmen for Destiny, and you'll notice the art has improved. However, I believe Thorsby will keep the same style, because it works well for him and lets him work quickly.