New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Artificer build

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default Artificer build

So I've been thinking about playing an Artificer for a while now and I was wondering if anyone could say if the build I'm going for is horribly screwed up or not and possibly some tips about various things I've undoubtedly gotten wrong. By the way I'm going for kind of a fire build.
    So here goes!

Spoiler: FLUFF
    Show

Character name: Zūman Cannith
    Alignment: Chaotic good
    Deity: None
    Apearance: Half-formed Mark of Making on left cheek
    Backstory:
    Many generations ago, there was a son that born to the leader of the House Cannith in Eberron. The youngest of 3, he was loved and cherished by his mother and, inevitably, put down by his brothers. As with most from his family the young boy developed a knack for Artificing and the Arcane, however he always lagged behind his siblings as the Draconic Mark of Making that was so plain on their faces had seemingly abandoned the young boy's skin from the moment he has born.

Bereft of this gift that his brothers had been born with, the boy grew to manhood alone and friendless, shunned by all but his mother. He developed an aptitude for Wizardry that none in his family could match but, with this manifestation of his abilities came another not so welcome sight. This man who had been born directly into the bloodline of one of the noble Dragon-Marked houses, bore forth an abberant sigil upon his left cheek.

Quickly his brothers turned on him, his aptitude for Wizardry a source of fear lest he overturn their right to the throne of The House; they hatched a plot to do away with him forever. In the night, they came for him. They entered his bedchambers as silently as magic could make them, they stabbed forth with poisoned blades and found the only resistance that pillows and a practice dummy could give.

Having been saved by his mother whom had overheard the brothers plotting, the young man fled the house he had lived in for so long, fled the city he had lived in his entire life and finally, he fled the plane of Eberron never to return.

Alone and homeless, the young man delved into what books he had been able to bring with him and came across the stories of old. Stories of how ancient Wizards had made pacts with Djinns and elemental beings "and low, a new race was born in that chaos"

Fuelled by these stories and a craving for a sense of family, the young man went deeper and deeper until he came to the land of Elemental Chaos. Weakened by his journey, the now weathered Mage beseeched the creatures and primordials of that place to take this pain of loneliness from him and make him whole once more.

After days passed of him screaming his fiery emotions and wounded anger to the wind and the land drinking his tears, the Mage was answered
    "And Yea, a new man was born. But in this great creation, the twisted aberrance of the Mage's mark did call out to the Devils and evil things within the yawning, wretched Abyss. Its blackened tendril did reach the New Man and corrupted the second attempt of a pure bloodline of Genasi, the Elemental folk."

For generations the Mage resided in the Elemental Chaos, his children being passed the Arcane blood that ran through him and some were even passed the Mark of Making that had forsaken their father. Eventually, a child was born that was so like the Mage's image but in lacking in years, that he was revered in his family and named Zūman. The child's name was such that it was inspired by and as a dedication to the fallen prince Zaaman Rul.

This child grew to maturity well and with a lust for knowledge that rivalled any other. He became drawn to Artificing and, with each new creation, he started to form the Mark of Making that had become rare in his family. Zūman Cannith was all that the first of his family was not and the spirit of his ancestor rejoiced at this perfection.

Unfortunately, the Devil's essence that had infected his bloodline saw this great individual as a challenge. The Artificer's creations with fire became more violent and deadly. He was baffled as well as angered mightily by these profane tools that were made by his hand. Worst of all, the young man became more and more drawn to the one place where he was told never to wander; the Abyss.

Too strong these beguiling whispers from that wicked place became for the young mind and he did stray from the path set ahead of him. He did follow the siren song of knowledge and power to the edge. He stared over into the Abyss...and the Abyss stared back at him.

The great, rolling mass of horrors and evil scarred themselves into Zūman's mind; leaving it open for attack. Quick as lightning, a bight of darkness and demonic evil shot out from that warped Plane, wrapping its corrupting grasp around the Artificer's hands, pulling him down. Seeing his peril, Zūman fought the darkness of his very blood and strove free, fleeing from that place with scars of his struggle; his hands had become ashen gray in the colour of Abyssal servants from his kind.

Ashamed and horrified by what he had witnessed at the forbidden place; Zūman packed his things and, with the blessing of his family, left the house he had lived in for so long, left the city he had lived in his entire life and finally, he left the plane of the Elemental Chaos, only to return when things had been set right.

Race: Genasi - Firesoul (+2 Int, +2 Con)
    Starting ability scores (post racial):
    Str: 12
    Con: 17
    Dex: 10
    Int: 19
    Wis: 11
    Cha: 8

Trained skills: Arcana, Diplomacy, Heal, Dungeoneering, Perception, Endurance (see feats)
    Small stats (level 1):
    Speed: 6
    Passive perception: 15
    Passive insight: 10

Starting defences:
    AC: 16
    Fort: 14
    Ref: 10
    Will: 11

Theme: Infernal Prince
    Background: Arcane student who saw too much

Feats: Artificer: Ritual Caster
    Level
    1: Heart of the blade - Endurance training
    2: Improved defences
    4. Weapon focus - Heavy Blades
    6. Improved initiative
    8. Mark of making
    10. Elemental echo
    11. Arcane familiar - Dragonmark reflection

Powers:
    At wills:
    Magic Weapon
    Static Shock
    Encounter level 1: Burning weapons
    Daily level 1: Punishing eye
    Utility level 2: Swift mender

Starting items:
    Leather armour
    Glaive
    Standard Adventurers Kit
    Climber's kit
    3 flasks (for collecting alchemical oils/magical liquids)
    Hand crossbow
    Crossbow bolt case (40 bolts)
    Crossbow bolt hip sheaf (20 bolts)
    Ritual book (class feature)
    Rituals known at level 1:
    Brew potion
    Disenchant Magic item
    Enchant Magic item
    Make whole

The Crossbow-bolt hip sheaf and case are Homebrew things that cost 2 and 3 gold respectively. Hip sheaf is the thing you take bolts out of to reload your crossbow (holds 20 bolts) and the case is inside a backpack or hanging off of one (holds 40 bolts). You need to take a short rest to transfer bolts from one to the other.

I took the Swordmage MC feat because
    1. I wanted to be able to use implement powers with the same thing I can use for weapon powers to conserve hand space in fights.
    2. I was thinking of possibly going into some Swordmage powers or feats.
    And finally
    3. Weapliments are great with Eberon shards and I am going for a mainly close fighting Int Con build so it helps a lot.

I was thinking of going into Hide armour in early paragon and eventually Ring Mail by late Paragon for enchantments such as:
    Shared Valor
    Shared Health
    Enduring Health
    Tactician's
    Bolstering
    Bloodfire (if damage is needed)

I am uncertain for the powers after level 2 as I cannot find all the resources online for what all of the Artificer powers do.

One of the reasons why I took Heart of the blade is because there is an interesting armour enchantment combo with the Endurance skill power Invigorating Presence I want to have a second opinion on.
    Combo:
    Invigorating Presence + Armour of Enduring Health
    Invigorating Presence - standard action (must have second wind available) - you use your second wind and you and your allies gain 10 + your Con mod THP
    Armour of Enduring Health - you can use your second wind 2 times per encounter

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Artificer build

Let's see...

In general, though maybe you're taking into account starting in Paragon, I like to put a 20 in Int for Artificers.

I'd look at White Lotus Dueling Expertise - gives you +1/2/3 to hit with arcane powers and basic attacks with any weapon/implement you have proficiency with - Artificers are crazy to give up a +2 to hit in Paragon. Versatile Expertise if you're limited to non-Dragon. I'd use a Dagger over a Heavy Blade in any case.

I think you're talking about Inspiring Fortitude? That's a daily power, so you'd only get to use it once? Not particularly great.

There are a lot of good options for a Rakshasa Claw Familiar once you're in Paragon - things such as Dagger of Shielding +1, Orb of Nimble Thoughts +1(yes errata'd, but still awesome), Staff of Defense +1 - things that slightly boost your statics modifiers, then let you swap out to your primary attack methods.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Artificer build

Few sources of THP stack so keep in mind you might be wasting some of those between the armor, Curative Admixture and the occasional Arcane Rejuvenation.

Similarly if you're going heavy on 2nd wind and fire Firewind Blade and Runic Armor might be more up your alley.