New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Default Buff and Trip Control Bard

Hello I'm starting off a 3.5 character, my first playing this edition
    Thematically he fights dancing around the battlefield, buffing his allies while disrupting the enemy line

We can use, the PH, UA, and all the complete books, planning to end at about lv 16

I have two builds I would like to choose from (though I'm open to opinions and changes), both are human

Build 1

Bard - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Combat Expertise
    Fighter - Improved Trip
    Swashbuckler - Weapon Finesse, Combat Reflexes
    Rogue - Deft Opportunist (Using Martial Rogue)
    Rogue
    Rogue - Power Attack, Weapon Focus
    Warchanter
    Warchanter
    Warchanter - Skill Focus (Perform)
    Warchanter
    Seeker of Songs
    Then all War Chanter

Build 2

Bard - Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Combat Expertise
    Barbarian
    Barbarian - Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip
    Swashbuckler - Weapon Finesse
    Fighter - Weapon Focus
    Warchanter - Power Attack
    Warchanter
    Warchanter
    Warchanter - Skill Focus (Perform Sing)
    Warchanter
    Seeker of Songs
    Then all War Chanter

the builds accomplish very similar things
    Build 1 sets me back one level but provides Deft Opportunist, Evasion, Spell Sense, and alot more skill
    Build 2 means I get War Chanter at lv 6 and gives me Pounce and Whirling Death from Barbarian

Which is worth, is there a more optimal way to do this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Buff and Trip Control Bard

First Some Questions: At what level do you start and do you know your ability scores?

Secondly, if you are going to be a tripper, don't take a level in Swashbuckler. The difference between your DEX and STR will make Weapon Finesse a +1 or +2 at best; and that is before you start buffing your Strength Score to increase your trip abilities. You probably want to replace with another level Fighter for a bonus feat of your choice or something else entirely

Thirdly: Martial Rogue replaces your Sneak Attack with Fighter Bonus Feats as a Fighter meaning you get one at 1, 2, 4 etc rather rhan 1, 3. Because of this you'll want an even number of Martial Rogue levels.

Finally: you say you want to buff but you never raise your Inspire Courage beyond a +1. Am I right in assuming your priority lies at the Tripping Aspect?
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by A.A.King View Post
    First Some Questions: At what level do you start and do you know your ability scores?

Secondly, if you are going to be a tripper, don't take a level in Swashbuckler. The difference between your DEX and STR will make Weapon Finesse a +1 or +2 at best; and that is before you start buffing your Strength Score to increase your trip abilities. You probably want to replace with another level Fighter for a bonus feat of your choice or something else entirely

Thirdly: Martial Rogue replaces your Sneak Attack with Fighter Bonus Feats as a Fighter meaning you get one at 1, 2, 4 etc rather rhan 1, 3. Because of this you'll want an even number of Martial Rogue levels.

Finally: you say you want to buff but you never raise your Inspire Courage beyond a +1. Am I right in assuming your priority lies at the Tripping Aspect?
    Thanks for the reply

We start at level 2, ability score 25
    Currently planning with the following stat spread
    Str 14, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 8, Cha 10

I was planning on getting the 16th dex on level 4, with weapon finesse at +1 over Str, so your saying this is not worth?

Hm I see, so martial rogue feats are at level 1 and 2, thanks for that

I wanted most of the actual buffing to come from War Chanter, Inspire courage +2 is really deep into bard so prioritized trip over that, or is there another method I missed

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Trip, in general, only is useful if you have a higher Str and are the same size (or larger) than your opponent. Most often it can be problematic since, if you fail, they can try to trip you back.

You will want some way of being enlarged to get this to work. The bonus to STR and from size will make this useful. If not, you'll continue to run into encounters where your only 50/50 (at best) at tripping things unless all of your adventures take place in human sized populations.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

You need to have a high Strength in order to trip effectively. +2 is not going to do it; even with another +4 from Improved Trip, you will be lucky to get a 50/50 success rate against most enemies, which is not really adequate. What are you doing to improve your Strength check modifier?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I was planning on eventually picking up Living Chain and Armband of Might (+2 each) if that did not wind up being enough I would eventually pick up a level of Exotic Weapon Master and get the +2 trip bonus. I am told this is a heavily humanoid based campaign (Urban setting). Am I being optimistic here?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

From what I've seen in game, trip builds normally only work really well if they can get lots of attacks and are fighting relatively weak opponents. At low levels you will be pretty effective. As levels go up, you either start running into enemies that are not worth tripping or that are too strong to be tripped.

If the campaign is city-centric you may be viable at higher levels. This depends on how much the DM wants to use the surrounding area to shape the fights though. If you are holding a hallway against equal opponents it can be really useful. If the opponents can summon big stuff you will probably get stomped though.

Trip builds are normally built on high HP / front line combatants. This is because they need to be able to hit their target which puts them in harms way. Starting with bard puts you at a disadvantage for HP and BAB VS starting with barbarian.

If you build as
    Barbarian -1 (Combat Expertise, Bonus Imp Trip)
    Fighter -1 (FB Exotic Spike Chain)
    Fighter -2 (FB Combat Reflexes)

you should be able to deal with low level mooks. Down side is most of them would be dropped if you hit them anyhow.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

So I was planning on using my self as the road block for back liners and as a stumbling tool for squishy melee (rogues and the like)
    Later on I would sing to buff the party with inspire recklessness and toughness, and deal most of my damage with a high a number AoO power attacks

Would it be a better idea to go full damage or maybe full tank?
    Perhaps a dervish build?
    Last edited by shellshock369; 2016-12-05 at 06:42 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

One thing you could do would be to go Sublime Chord, which gives you access to polymorph spells. You can then transform yourself into something like a dire wolf or whatever (I don't know what the best forms are off the top of my head), which would give you much more effectiveness as far as tripping and grappling and otherwise controlling your enemies' movement. You would also have a greater ability to buff and protect your allies via high-level buff/support spells. (For example, instead of Singing Shout, you could cast mass bull's strength, which does the same thing, but has a much longer duration and could potentially last through multiple combats.)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Alright, so if trip build isn't recommended, how do think I should capture dancing bard with only the books I listed above?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Perhaps something like this

Str 13, Dex 15, Con 12, int 14, Wis 8, Cha 10

1- Bard - 0 - Combat Expertise, Dodge - Bardic Knowledge, Bardic Songs
    2- Swashbuckler - 1 - Weapon Finesse
    3 - Swashbuckler - 2 - Weapon Focus - Grace 1
    4 - Swashbuckler - 3 - Insightful Strike
    5 - Fighter - 4 - Mobility
    6 - War Chanter - 5 - Power Attack - War Chanter Music, Inspire Toughness
    7 - Dervish - 6 - Dervish Dance 1/day, Movement Mastery, Slashing Blades
    8 - War Chanter - 7
    9 - War Chanter - 8 - Leap Attack - Inspire Recklessness
    10 - Dervish - 9 - Fast Movement +5
    11 - Dervish -10 - Spring Attack, Dervish Dance 2/day
    12 - War Chanter - 11 -
    13 - War Chanter - 12 - Combine Song
    14 - War Chanter - 13
    15 - War Chanter - 14 - Inspire Awe
    16 - War Chanter - 15 - Singing Shout

I kind of wish I can sneak in a lv of barb for Whirling Frenzy and Pounce

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Bard 4 can grab you Alter Self. Depending on race this can open up a LOT of tricks that will help with "Trip build". If you are allowed to play a Neraphim from Planar Handbook this opens up some really cool 4hd or less outsiders. 5th level in Bard would get you one of my favorites for a trip build, Dwarf Ancestor. Massive Natural Armor and large size.

For less cheese you can grab Bariaur (Book of Exalted Deeds) for large quadroped.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by shellshock369 View Post
    Perhaps something like this

Str 13, Dex 15, Con 12, int 14, Wis 8, Cha 10

1- Bard - 0 - Combat Expertise, Dodge - Bardic Knowledge, Bardic Songs
    2- Swashbuckler - 1 - Weapon Finesse
    3 - Swashbuckler - 2 - Weapon Focus - Grace 1
    4 - Swashbuckler - 3 - Insightful Strike
    5 - Fighter - 4 - Mobility
    6 - War Chanter - 5 - Power Attack - War Chanter Music, Inspire Toughness
    7 - Dervish - 6 - Dervish Dance 1/day, Movement Mastery, Slashing Blades
    8 - War Chanter - 7
    9 - War Chanter - 8 - Leap Attack - Inspire Recklessness
    10 - Dervish - 9 - Fast Movement +5
    11 - Dervish -10 - Spring Attack, Dervish Dance 2/day
    12 - War Chanter - 11 -
    13 - War Chanter - 12 - Combine Song
    14 - War Chanter - 13
    15 - War Chanter - 14 - Inspire Awe
    16 - War Chanter - 15 - Singing Shout

I kind of wish I can sneak in a lv of barb for Whirling Frenzy and Pounce
    I say drop Dervish and Swashbuckler, switch Dex and Str, and take at least 2 levels of Barbarian (wolf totem) and another level of Fighter. Then Seeker of the Song or something instead of Dervish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Alright, let's do this.
    So the necessary skillset for a modern Major-General is Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (History), Profession (Mathematician), Profession (Siege Engineer), Perform (oratory), Perform (singing), Perform (whistling), Speak Language, and Ride, as well as a solid baseline Intelligence score
    PM me for any games in the Toledo area!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by stanprollyright View Post
    I say drop Dervish and Swashbuckler, switch Dex and Str, and take at least 2 levels of Barbarian (wolf totem) and another level of Fighter. Then Seeker of the Song or something instead of Dervish.
    Hm what if I drop the fighter, add 1 Barb (for pounce and rage), drop Dervish, use Spiked chain for both finesse and power attack with insightful strike?

I might pick up seeker