New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default I hate nice people.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm a cynical person and nobody else thinks this way, but I hate "nice" people. To clarify that doesn't mean I hate people that do nice things per say, I just hate people that exude niceness. Every time I interact with someone like that, or overhear them it makes me nauseous (not literally).
    They just always seem so disingenuous and fake. It irks me, and it is especially bad when two nice people are together. When they interact is just a big ball of self-gratification and it bothers me.

Perhaps I'm just not a great person... Anyway feel free to tell me I'm wrong and a terrible person, or agree with me and join me in the darkness.
    Dascarletm, Spinner of Rudiplorked Tales, and Purveyor of Puns
    Thanks to Artman77 for the avatar!
    Extended Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: I hate nice people.

Don't move to the South.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-12-05 at 03:31 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

It's a vicious cycle.

1. Be nice to people.
    2. People start being nice to you.
    3. Your mood improves.
    4. You start being nice to people.
    5. People start being nice to you.
    6. Repeat until being goth goes out of style again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Don't move to the South.
    I will say that sort of nice is different. I'd call that hospitality. I like that.

It's hard to describe exactly, but it is a very specific sort of person.
    Extended Signature

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by dascarletm View Post
    I will say that sort of nice is different. I'd call that hospitality. I like that.

So you don't hate nice people. You hate mean people. That's hardly a revelation.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe I should say, overly-nice.

The kind of person who says you are great and deserving of everything in the world without even meeting the other person.

"You don't know me, maybe I'm not deserving of everything!"

Re-reading this I do seem like a total ass. Ah well.
    Extended Signature

7. - Top - End - #7

The kind of person who says you are great and deserving of everything in the world without even meeting the other person.
    You're thinking of optimists, maybe?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

This person?
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    You're thinking of optimists, maybe?
    Maybe. Really I only thought of this because of a couple people I have to interact with routinely. Always, always just too positive. If they get together, they just spiral out of control in how great everything is. They're too happy for it to be normal. Maybe I'm just jealous of their happiness, though I'm not particularly unhappy. I don't think these people are fake, they are just too happy-nice-great. I don't know what I'm really complaining about though.

But, leave it to Flickerdart to make me feel like a fool.
    Extended Signature

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Don't move to the South.
    #FalseStereotypes

11. - Top - End - #11

Maybe. Really I only thought of this because of a couple people I have to interact with routinely. Always, always just too positive. If they get together, they just spiral out of control in how great everything is. They're too happy for it to be normal. Maybe I'm just jealous of their happiness, though I'm not particularly unhappy. I don't think these people are fake, they are just too happy-nice-great. I don't know what I'm really complaining about though.

But, leave it to Flickerdart to make me feel like a fool.
    You should definitely move to the UK.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think I know the type of person you're talking about.
    Talks almost exclusively in platitudes? Claims everyone is beautiful in their own way, maybe even things anything anyone does wrong isn't their fault?

The type of person who posts nonstop "motivational" posts on social media claiming that no matter who you are that you're precious and unique and loved?
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    I think I know the type of person you're talking about.
    Talks almost exclusively in platitudes? Claims everyone is beautiful in their own way, maybe even things anything anyone does wrong isn't their fault?

The type of person who posts nonstop "motivational" posts on social media claiming that no matter who you are that you're precious and unique and loved?
    Pretty much. Whenever I interact with them I just say to myself, "Just hate something. Find something that you don't like... and 'bad things' doesn't count"
    Extended Signature

14. - Top - End - #14

Don't move to the South.
    Or do move to the South. Broward County Florida to be exact. That way you never have to meet any. Yeah ... I got a nasty attitude myself. Especially towards the ones that simply can't seem to see that you just DO NOT want to be bothered.
    Currently Playing: Aire Romaris Chaotic Good Male Half Celestial Gray Elf Duskblade 13 / Swiftblade 7 /// Elven Generallist Wizard 20

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pretty much. Whenever I interact with them I just say to myself, "Just hate something. Find something that you don't like... and 'bad things' doesn't count"
    I know exactly the kind of person you're talking about. I went to high school with one. They seem fake because they are fake. Anyone who doesn't ever seem to have nasty, selfish, unpleasant thoughts is not being their real self. Not to sound misanthropic--I love people, I think they're amazing--but no one is really that perfectly sweet and positive every moment of their lives. The people I find myself most drawn to are the ones who can be positive, but also aren't afraid to show their mean side sometimes. It shows they're not afraid to be themselves.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

You know, there certainly are some folks who are nice because they think they can ingratiate themselves to people and they don't really mean what they're saying. But there are also some folks who honestly, legitimately think that everyone really is beautiful in their own way and will look for the best in people even in the worst circumstances. The former folks are frauds and you ought to dislike them since they're deceiving you. The latter, rare though they are, have my admiration.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    You know, there certainly are some folks who are nice because they think they can ingratiate themselves to people and they don't really mean what they're saying.
    I don't know if I fall into that category, honestly. I tend to be nice to begin with, because I dislike the idea of being not nice to people, but I've noticed that, especially on the phone to a large corporation where the call center people get yelled at all day, being nice gets you pretty far, more often than not.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    You know, there certainly are some folks who are nice because they think they can ingratiate themselves to people and they don't really mean what they're saying. But there are also some folks who honestly, legitimately think that everyone really is beautiful in their own way and will look for the best in people even in the worst circumstances. The former folks are frauds and you ought to dislike them since they're deceiving you. The latter, rare though they are, have my admiration.
    Yeah, there absolutely are people who believe that, and do that--I do that, as often as I can. But just because you believe that intellectually, and try to do it as best you can, doesn't mean you'll always be in an emotional state to follow through on that conviction. Even the truest optimist will have moments of doubt, and to pretend otherwise is not being authentic.

I don't think the people who hide those moments are manipulative--I think most of them are just scared. They think being nice is what makes people like them, and they don't want to risk destroying that by showing they're not nice all the time. Showing your unpleasant side takes courage, and trust; you have to trust the people you love to see it and still accept you. Not everyone is good at trusting people like that.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

I have nothing wrong with being nice on occasion. In fact, I'm nice to anyone I meet professionally or anyone in the service industry. Though this is rooted mostly in the benefit I gain for myself.

People that truly are just always nice, and are never ever mean: I tend not to like them, fake or otherwise. I guess I just can't relate to you if you don't hate something irrationally.
    Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20

Hmmmm. What are your thoughts on Fred Rogers, out of curiosity?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmmmm. What are your thoughts on Fred Rogers, out of curiosity?
    Being a child when I watched him and his neighborhood my only thoughts are:

I usually wished something like batman was on instead, but that'll do.

In seriousness, I don't know much about him personally. Being gratuitously nice on a children's show, or to children doesn't bother me.
    Extended Signature

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

You're free to hate others as much as you want, but I'd draw the line at kicking their seats at the movies. :p
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    You're free to hate others as much as you want, but I'd draw the line at kicking their seats at the movies. :p
    But they're the best kind of people to kick their seats. They just appologize for having their seat in the way of your foot.

also, dangit.
    Extended Signature

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Canadians are supposed to apologize for having been in your way after you rudely bump into them... :)
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

25. - Top - End - #25

Being a child when I watched him and his neighborhood my only thoughts are:

I usually wished something like batman was on instead, but that'll do.

In seriousness, I don't know much about him personally. Being gratuitously nice on a children's show, or to children doesn't bother me.
    Let me put it this way - if a religion was organized around him, I would not be surprised.

Dude was the embodiment of niceness and respect. If you ever hear a negative thing about him, it's safe to assume it's a lie. When PBS was slated to have its funding cut, he went to Washington, gave a speech and sang a song before Congress, and got its funding raised. One of the most hard-nosed congressmen specifically called him out as the reason it got saved. He also was instrumental in the legalization of home TV recording technology, on behalf of parents who could not stay home with their children to see educational programming. He would read and personally answer every piece of fan-mail he got every day. When the parents of a blind girl wrote to him, and happened to mention their daughter loved the goldfish on his show, he made a point to say he was feeding his goldfish in every episode after, so she would know. Every sweater he wore was knitted by his mother. One of my favorite things I've heard is that if Mr. Rogers had been alive to hear Rebecca Black's Friday, he woulda said that it was wonderful that she was pursuing her interests, and would have been delighted that her parents were so supportive of her.

I, too, thought it was kinda lame when I was a kid, but now if my wife or I get in a bad mood over someone else, we try to say, "what would Fred Rogers do?" No lie.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2016-12-05 at 05:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground

I tend to be blunt about my feelings unless I was doing a job in which I was being paid to put on a smile.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

As a Canadian, it's more an attitude of "make sure everything keeps going smoothly." IMO. So the apology basis for things is because then things are not overly confrontational and you don't have things spiral out of control.

In reality, Canadians can be quite a bunch of *******s at times. The worst part is that we do not talk about it like it is done in the States. We are a lot more for "peace and quiet".

At least, when it comes to the fact that some people think everything in Canada is hunky-dory until you look at the statistics.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Canadians are supposed to apologize for having been in your way after you rudely bump into them... :)
    That's 100% me. Mostly because when someone bumps into me, I assume I shouldn't have been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    As a Canadian, it's more an attitude of "make sure everything keeps going smoothly." IMO. So the apology basis for things is because then things are not overly confrontational and you don't have things spiral out of control.

In reality, Canadians can be quite a bunch of *******s at times. The worst part is that we do not talk about it like it is done in the States. We are a lot more for "peace and quiet".

At least, when it comes to the fact that some people think everything in Canada is hunky-dory until you look at the statistics.
    You and I must live in very different parts of Canada. Ironically, I live literally within sight of America, but all the stereotypes apply.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it because you want the world to suck even more than it already does, or do you just think they're spineless?
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

That's 100% me. Mostly because when someone bumps into me, I assume I shouldn't have been there.

You and I must live in very different parts of Canada. Ironically, I live literally within sight of America, but all the stereotypes apply.
    I would say I am just pessemistic. Maybe it's because while I have generally awesome experiences in Canada, talking to people here and when I have been in the States gives me the general feeling of "People are people."

There are some pretty awful things that happen in Canada that just isn't well adressed by media. My impression is that American media is loud about everything, so while some issues are spoken of more then others, everything is spoken about. In Canadian media, the problems are not so easily talked about, such as issues regarding race. (I will leave it at that.)