New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Interesting ways to roleplay classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    Finally, Factotum: Before the game, generate a random character- completely random, random gender, random background story, etc. It doesn't even matter if they make sense as a factotum. When the game starts, in character you say "ooooooh boy", then act like you don't know anything about your past. You don't even know what gender you are until you get to see yourself in a mirror. Shortly into the start, when you begin to carry on a conversation with thin air, addressing the air as "Al", occasionally asking what "Ziggy" thinks you're supposed to do, and then you SORT of know your backstory but don't really recognize anybody you should know. You see, your real character is Doctor Samuel Becket from Quantum Leap, and the backstory is the guy/girl you leaped into.
    YES! All the yes!
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zanos View Post
    Subverting cliches is so cliche these days. If you want to be really subversive and get some oohs and aahs from your table, go a little wild and play the sterotypes.
    But if you did that, you'd be subverting a cliche, which is cliche, so then you have to subvert THAT cliche....
    Homebrewers Extended Signature Yep, no more room in my actual signature ... on the bright side though, now I have room for a cool quote!
    If I had one ...
    Custom Avatar by ShadowySilence - He's a cool guy.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

Old news, to some, but it's still a good point. Don't let the class dictate your character's personality. Don't even let your alignment, race, or ability scores do that. Synergies and conflicts can be balanced and equally interesting.

I usually (try to) see class(es) as a set of things the character can do, rather than what they are. For this reason, I often prefer "fluff-neutral" classes, like fighter over barbarian.

If you want to be original, which is not necessarily fun but anyway, I think you need to avoid the clichés AND the negatives of said clichés. The cliché half-orc is the aggressive brute. The negative is the sophisticated gentleman. Original lies somewhere in-between. Will it be interesting or just bland? I think that depends on the player and the remaining table. Too subtle characteristics risk going unnoticed. Extremes are easier to play and notice.

4. - Top - End - #34

ElfRangerGuy

Well, my best would be Clopin Silk, elven rogue. I posted a much more complete version of the character as one of my early threads, so I'll give you the basics here; Clopin was born Cassius Valis, a member of a powerful aristocratic family. He hated his family's arrogant, highly racist views, and resented the fact that his own parents only ever cared about him inasmuch as he could be a valuable political asset. He ended up conning his family into exiling him (long story, but it's why his ears have some ugly scars on them), and struck out on his own, becoming a circus acrobat until the circus closed, and then becoming a 'problem solver' for the villages he traveled to. He values freedom highly, falls in love with some aspect of every culture he encounters, and his loathing of politics is matched only by his innate talent for it, albeit on the reduced scale of buttering individual people up and turning them against each other. He naturally distrusts aristocrats, and will, when faced with especially complex moral decisions, will try to work out what Tiberius (who he never refers to as his father and, if you believe him, never has) would do, and does the opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowrocket View Post

When the holy man gernade is activated, in place of a rage attack, a barbarian may simply explode when he blows his fuse. The damage is equal to the barbarians level spread over the 8 adjacent squares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post

"My maximum load allows me to lift planets. Here is the Moon of Pork!"
    Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Only in tabletop RPG's will you find players optimizing beards.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The character I'm planning on playing for my first campaign is Zhonthi Donamet, a Gnome Sorcerer. The 4th child of a minor Gnomish noble, he grew up without wanting for much but also, knowing full well his options were rather limited. He wasn't first born so he wouldn't inherit, the middle children, his oldest sister and second oldest brother were in business and had no desire to have him join them. Not only did they not get along but the two had plenty of nieces and nephews they could conscript if need be. Zhonem has no real discipline for scholastic wizardry (though he clearly has the mind for it) and is too much of a hedonist for the priesthood. Now, as a young adult he's a predominantly lazy, well read layabout (it's not that he dislike's reading, he just finds books on magic incredibly tedious though he'll read almost anything else) and his family had mostly consigned themselves to him being the lazy uncle the rest of his life. That is, until he developed a talent for sorcery and then they didn't know what to do with him. It just gave him far too great a license for mischief, even by gnomish standards. They encouraged him to join an Adventuring party both to give his life some direction and get him out of their hair to somewhere his impulses toward mischief could be channeled effectively.

He loves meeting new people going to parties and generally makes decisions based on what he thinks will be fun. He's not directly malicious but doesn't always think things through and accidental chaos can ensue. His hearts generally in the right place, his ethics are just a bit... questionable.
    Last edited by Roan_Spence; 2016-12-07 at 07:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

There are more ways to play a paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxus
    It's all in how you play them, I suppose. You can be Good without being Nice.

Saint Iratus was a 8th-Century Paladin who gained divine recognition for his merciful defeat of the Kiron the Tyrant-King of Kroll. History tells us he had Dark King Kiron in a headlock, and was making passable progress towards unscrewing Kiron's head, while delivering a eloquent catolog of the Dark King's lifetime of sowing evil, hatred, and misery, and was screaming "REAP THE WHIRLWIND ****STAIN!" when Sharptooth, his barbarian companion, persuaded him to relent and spare Kiron's life. Kiron later reformed, and joined a monastery which had a vow of silence and also a prohibition against nodding or moving the head.

For his great-hearted compassion and temperance, Iratus was visited by angels in his dreams, and went on a holy journey to Mount Celestia. There, he got permission to cut a golden oak from the high reaches, and fashioned the oak tree into a gorgeous, solid table.

Then he carried the table on his back, to the court of a Balor and chokeslammed the Balor through the table. The table shattered and riddled the Balor with holy splinters. The battle went precipitously downhill for the Balor from there.

Afterwards, Iratus gathered up the pieces, proclaiming he was going to "MAKE SOME ****ING SHIVS OUT OF THIS TABLE, BECAUSE THAT BALOR CAUGHT ON WHITE FIRE WHEN HE HIT THE WOOD AND I WANT TO SEE THAT **** AGAIN!"

He made good on his word, whittling rough daggers and, one on occasion, a wooden sword, out of it, and legend tells that a whole table leg survived intact, and that this was wielded by Saint Iratus as a greatclub to terrific effect in later battles.

After his eventual death, the mourners found his workroom was covered in splinters of the Golden Table, left behind as he whittled out weapons, and they gathered up the holy oak and kept them safe. Soon, Iratus's students and disciples formally declared themselves the Order of Saint Iratus, and the splinters were given out as recognition of great deeds. They also dedicated themselves to Iratus' philosophy of battle and life in general, which ran as such:

1) PUT THAT ARMOR ON AND START RUNNING, YOU HAND****ERS. I SPREAD FLUFFY BUTTERY-SMOOTH GIRLY-MAN MUSCLE LIKE THAT ON MY TOAST FOR BREAKFAST!

2) WHO THE **** SPENDS THEIR TIME PRACTICING THE NINE-CRESCENT WATER MOON STRIKE OF FLUFFY BUNNY BULL****? JUST BEAT THE **** OUT OF THEM! IT WORKS FOR ME!

3) PRACTICE YOUR ****ING MAGIC, DIMCOCK! THAT **** IS ****ING AWESOME!

4) BE COOL TO THE POOR, THE SICK, THE ELDERLY, AND THE LADIES! UNLESS THEY'RE EVIL, THEN KILL SOME OF THEM SO HARD EVERYONE ELSE STRAIGHTENS THEIR **** UP!

As might be gathered, the Iratians pride themselves on their physical strength, and take direct approach to combat, augmented by choice spells and heavy armor; they often emulate Saint Iratus himself by focusing on grappling. They are also generous to the common man (and polite to the ladies/and or men), while being very vocal and demonstrative in their destruction of evil.

Iratus was canonized after his miraculous appearance to a group of downhearted adventurers, who were ready to cease fighting against governmental corruption in a lawless city, some fifty years after his death. Records say he shouted at them for twenty minutes, in profanity that made some observing knackermen vomit, then marched the party to a local gang leader's office and kicked the gang leader in the testicles so hard they flew out his mouth, then gave some money to a street urchin for his sick grandmother and proclaimed "DO IT LIKE THAT ****ERS. IF THE LAWS ARE SERVING EVIL THEY'RE ****ING BAD LAWS AND YOU SHOULD KILL THEM TOO! DON'T MAKE ME COME BACK DOWN HERE AND REPEAT MYSELF." and disappeared while he ranted about the obviousness of his approach.
    From this thread: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=389593
    Last edited by Dragonexx; 2016-12-07 at 01:32 PM.
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon D20: A system designed for adventuring in a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon world.

The Review/Analysis Thread: In-depth reviews of various games and RPG products.

The New/Redone Monsters Thread: Taking bad or bland monsters and making them more interesting and challenging.

Yu-Gi-Oh!: Realms of Myth: In the world of monsters, Winda and Wynn go on an "epic" journey to find the legendary Dark Magician.

Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Madoka and Kingdom Hearts.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Colossus in the Playground

A druid who believes that the various "intelligent races" are all a part of nature, too, and that their cities are little different from the constructions of ant colonies.

As such, he dwells within one, and manipulates everyone within it like a mafia don or a political shadow-ruler. See, a garden is an expression of nature, and this is his garden. And all of the people living in it are part of it, to be pruned and tended and nurtured and made beautifully manifest representations of nature's wonders.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post
    A druid who believes that the various "intelligent races" are all a part of nature, too, and that their cities are little different from the constructions of ant colonies.

As such, he dwells within one, and manipulates everyone within it like a mafia don or a political shadow-ruler. See, a garden is an expression of nature, and this is his garden. And all of the people living in it are part of it, to be pruned and tended and nurtured and made beautifully manifest representations of nature's wonders.
    A Urban Druid? from Dragon compendium
    Quote Originally Posted by Flappeercraft
    NAAARUUUUTOOOOOOOO

9. - Top - End - #39

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Segev View Post

I quite like the idea of the druid treating people almost like an ant farm.
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowrocket View Post

When the holy man gernade is activated, in place of a rage attack, a barbarian may simply explode when he blows his fuse. The damage is equal to the barbarians level spread over the 8 adjacent squares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post

"My maximum load allows me to lift planets. Here is the Moon of Pork!"
    Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    Only in tabletop RPG's will you find players optimizing beards.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clopin Silk View Post
    I quite like the idea of the druid treating people almost like an ant farm.
    I think that this is something missed in most Druids... at least the ones I've seen. Sentient beings, even in smaller villages and rural areas, largely subsist independent of the outside world, and are part of the ecosystem.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm probably going to get garbage thrown at me, but I've always wanted to play the Paladin of Chaos.

Assign a different emotion to every number on a d10 and every time you enter into a social encounter, roll a d20 and the d10 and have your character embody the rolled emotion to the d20th craziness degree.
    So like, let's say a peasants beseeches you for aid and you roll 18 and anger- you then proceed to flip out at the peasant and beat him to a pulp for the audacicty.
    Joy, sadness, humor, paranoia- the fun never ends!

Adding mechanics to roleplay(phobias, schizophrenia, nervous tics, OCD, PTSD after a near-death experience) is always fun. My table enjoys it anyway.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

one of my favorite PFS characters is Tiax.

Yes, THAT Tiax, the one from Baldurs Gate. Except I made him a human monk, and play him the same as Tiax.

He's so absurd, it's hilarious. He tries to grapple anyone who tries to thwart his rule.

He succeeded at grappling a zombie dragon... the highlight of his career.