Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Only Ruins: Game thread

Only Ruins

"It is now the 1934th year of the world by the Auroran Count, the 1174th year since the gods arose, and by my count the 847th year since the first of the cataclysms. It is by the blessings of the dead ones that I have lived to see this day and it is by the curses of the dead ones that I have suffered to see this day.

The grip of the Ascendant has finally began to loosen and the storms left in its wake have begun to weaken. Men have begun to walk the lands again, attempting to reclaim their former glories amongst the ruins as the insanities of the world rage around them. It is by my reckoning these ages of gods and cataclysms have finally given way to an age of man.

A beginning from an end, to finally control our destinies and walk away from the ruins. We can always hope can't we. Hope is all we really have left in the end."

The end of the world came and went and the storms left in its wake have begun to calm. The gods are gone and your people are one of many left amongst the ruins. A new age has dawned on the world of men and its come time to leave the past behind. Perhaps time to break away from the bloodshed and begin anew, or perhaps time for history to repeat again. Only time will tell.

Spoiler: Posts
    Show
    For clarity I suggest including the location your post is taking place at the top of your post in bold, or for posts describing your nation the general area even if it's just your nation.

And, please declare any actions your nation is taking in a spoiler at the bottom of your post.
    Ascendancy (Setting, Rules, Recruitment, Out-Of-Character, Game Thread, and a Mirror. Also, a Discord.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Only Ruins: Game thread

--Below the Temple of Khalorean, in the decayed remains of some grandiose hall that is now thought of as a catacomb--

*a scratching, munching, stone-crushing sound is heard, echoing throughout the catacomb*

A single dustmoth male ventures forward from the lower halls, seeking out the sound's source. Anything could be a threat. In the meantime, the sound had echoed upwards, reverberating off of the stone walls, giving tiny suggestions of life from below. Something the drider hadn't heard in a long time, and certainly none of those living in the present age were familiar with.
    The spiders and moths knew of one another, but stayed at a distance. They had each been waiting for a sign; but it had been a very long time and there wasn't any suggestion that their wait would end any time soon, especially not today.

*scratching and crunching noises continue*

The drider brought a couple more of its kind nearby into the shattered ruins of what was once a grand temple made of spiderweb and beeswax, termite mounds and anthills, stonework of a previous temple, and wooden idols. Now it was just pools of ooze, made of some unknown liquid with strange properties, and rock that felt like stale bread and crumbled like sand.

As the dustmoth approached from below and the drider came closer from above, the noises were heard even louder. A large cracking sound echoed loudly!

That was when they saw it- all of them. A creature shaped like an oversized larvae with varying pretty colors crawled out of an old well that had been full of some sort of sweetened foodstuff collected from Aurora in a forgotten age had been stored. The stuff had apparently lasted forever; but it had seemingly petrified itself. Since the stuff was eaten from the bottom up, the idea of what it was and the state it was in must have been a mistake.

It didn't take long for the larvae to metamorphose into its next stage within the presence of the insects. When it emerged from a fleshlike cocoon that grew in size until it resembled a giant tumor, it looked much like a drider. But something was different- a few somethings. It had long antennae, an expanded cranium that almost looked like a roachlike crown, pulsing masses on its back end, and no expanded spiderian abdomen. The bugs had known this race once before, one thought long dead, only told in half-believed stories.

Recombinants. A species of intelligent insect made directly by the God of Justice, still heavily within their hearts and the central god of their shared religion. It was the sign they were waiting for! News quickly spread throughout the drider and dustmoth populations, uniting them into a single swarm once more... but there were so many others hoped to still exist, maybe, somewhere out there...
    The recombinant has returned! The insects have regained their empress! A recombinant. That was so incredibly important to them- the drider had been made by Lysei and abandoned, taken as adopted children by the God of Spiders. The dustmoths had lost their way and changed, or so stories said, from something once more beautiful and magical than they were- rainbow butterflies. The dustmoths weren't direct creations anymore, either. But a recombinant was!

The Temple and its surrounding area had been allowed to crumble because the world was so dangerous and psychotic, especially for the insects, that they had to stay on the move or at least hide well enough to be inconspicuous. No more! Now that they had the Empress Dorian Cook, who was by her existence a holy sign, and therefore a reason to rebuild and defend their claims, new things would begin with gusto.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

Actions (4/4)

National Action: Redevelop technology.
    1. Dorian Cook, as a recombinant genner, tries to redevelop arachnomorph infestation.

Settlement Action: The one with the Temple of Khalorean is renamed Khalorean City. It takes the following action:
    1. Improve a Settlement. There is an existing siege wall surrounding the remains of the city the Temple was originally founded in, but it decayed over a thousand years of apocalypse. We're rebuilding it.

(2/4 actions left)
    Last edited by Viirin; 2016-12-07 at 06:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Valencia and Cosimo, the Ducal Palace, Xule

‘Really Valencia? You’re getting much too old to be complaining about this sort of thing,’ the nursemaid said as she tightened the starchy white dress around Valencia’s skinny waist, tying it off with a ribbon at the back. ‘I would expect this behaviour from a child of five, but not a ten-year-old.’

‘I’m almost eleven!’

‘My point exactly then.’

‘But do I have to go?’

‘Yes, however boring you may find it, it is your duty as a young lady of the house. Besides, you wouldn’t want your brother to feel lonely now would you?’

‘Hm,’ Valencia pouted, but she saw there was no further use arguing. She allowed her nurse to run a comb through her tangles of curly dark hair, before she was hurried out of the room and downstairs to where the diplomatic function had already begun. Most of the faces were familiar; the lords and ladies of Xule who she had known vaguely for all her life, and ignored for about the same amount of time. The few strangers were the diplomats from the Khaloric Swarm, the Empire of the Basalt Throne and the Harconin Protectorate, who were gathered beside the central table, apparently in rapt conversation with Lord Regent Carlos Grimani. Her features darkened as she stared at the back of his balding head, her father had always trusted the man implicitly but if there had ever been a time when she had liked him, she didn't remember it. She noticed her brother sitting quietly in the seat of honour nearby, she sidled up to him and prodded him on the shoulder to get his attention.

‘Val!’ he exclaimed.

‘How’s the feast?’

‘It’s alright,’ he said, lowering his voice. ‘All the diplomats are really old though, and the one from Harconin slobbered all over my hand when he kissed it.’ He shuddered in disgust.

‘Ugh,’ Valencia said as she eyed up the elderly man in question, who looked at though he could barely see beyond his own nose. ‘He looks about a hundred. Here, watch this!’ Placed before the children was a traditional Xulian starter: whipped cream that had been spiked with rum, then frozen, served with decorative paper straws. Valencia put her mouth at one end of the straw and blew on it so it flew up into the air like a rocket, before landing back on the dining table with a faint splat. Cosimo grinned, a rare sight that past month, and tried blowing his own in the same manner.

‘That’s not fair, my straw has a hole in it!’ he said as his straw failed to achieve anywhere near the height of Valencia's.

‘Try another, I bet you can’t get this one to that table over there.’

Meanwhile, Lord Regent Grimani continued to talk the diplomats, pointedly ignoring the commotion behind him.

‘An extensive trade deal would benefit all our nations, but the Channel and the coastal regions need to be secured for our traders to sail safely. At present, it’s estimated that as much as ten percent of all cargo is lost to the piracy of the halfings and other raiders...’ Grimani paused as he felt something wet land on the back of his head. He reached around to pluck off the offending item, a straw dripping with half-melted frozen cream.

‘Oops,’ Valencia tried not to smirk, but she couldn’t help herself as the regent turned around slowly to face them. Beside her, her brother giggled uncontrollably, a line of cream dribbling down his chin and onto his formerly clean dining shirt. Grimani’s eyes bulged at the children, Valencia thought for a moment that he might be about to have a stroke, but instead he just took a deep breath and placed the dripping straw onto the table beside him, before looking at the diplomats with a weary expression.

‘This, ladies and gentlemen, is our Grand Duke Cosimo IV and his elder sister, Princess Valencia.’

Show
    -Send a diplomat to be a permanent ambassador to the Khaloric Swarm

-Send a diplomat to be a permanent ambassador to the Empire of the Basalt Throne

-Send a diplomat to be a permanent ambassador to the Harconin Protectorate

-Train an army: the 2nd Army of Xule
    Last edited by The JoJo; 2016-12-10 at 09:08 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

New Ajivha

It was in the year of our lord One Thousand One Hundred and Sixty Two that Grandmaster Hassan Sinan of the Justiciar order of Gangari escaped the prison of our holy land and returned to the people of Ajivha. Finding us strong and our lands plentiful- He stopped reading. Another scroll being passed around the city and the clans, speaking of the glory of his return and his sacred right to lead.

It had been twelve years since the man named Sinan had arrived in the city once known as Onchesmos, eleven since he had worked his way into the Khagan's inner circle and took control of his guard, and three months since he had succeeded his rule. Everything he found was decayed, his home cursed, his fortress overrun, his people warped, and history forgotten or mutated. He wasn't even sure how long it had been since... simply before everything had happened. But he and those few he brought with him persevered in a land almost unrecognizable amongst a people barely his own.

The paper in his hands was another sign of the times, his appearance amongst the people considered a great omen both by the Khagan before him and the sages and mystics that had surrounded him in life. A belief that saw the Khagan name him successor, a belief that those around him saw fit to perpetuate to drag those below him into line, and a belief that beside his foreignness saw those below him question his rule.

Some saw him as holy, of a great destiny for Ajivha. Others saw something else. Their downfall, a liar, a ghoul. He began to see himself a division they didn't need.

It would be some time before they'd simply accept commands if he left them to their own devices, atleast one of them would get the idea to contest him openly eventually. So he did what could be done. Letters to those that seemed to trust his authority, missionaries spreading the word of his coming to the religious and the mystics, and simple declarations of what would happen if any ignored a declaration or call to arms to all making it clear that turning on the Khagan would end as it always has for them, beside bribes to show that loyalty to him would have rewards.

He doubted it would be enough, but he had enough convinced outright or accepting their duty to him to enforce order for now. The Janissaries if worst came, and a disorganized army of horsemen at his command otherwise. He entrusted Mimar with the task of whipping them into something resembling disciplined. He needed them and their Khans working together before he brought them to war, convincing them they could serve side by side and that it was their duty to do so.

Another courtier approached with word of something he was already aware of.

Show

- Negotiate with Locals (North)

- Negotiate with Locals (South East)

- Negotiate with Locals (South West)

- Train an Army (1st Ajivhan Cavalry)
    Ascendancy (Setting, Rules, Recruitment, Out-Of-Character, Game Thread, and a Mirror. Also, a Discord.)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Stonetide

Ashur flew between the levels and outcroppings of Stonetide. A downside to leading a people with sporadic episodes of leadership was spending much of his life airborne trying to meet with hundreds of fleets and guilds in person. Today his arms were especially tired. He had already scheduled meetings with several captains while they were in port to discus fishing zones and funding for some vital initiatives (and the very explicit like between them), but the feud between the cities Smelters and Tanners guild over water use and waste disposal have broken the ban on black powder and magic in internal conflicts last week and as the most influential figure nearby, he had just gotten the two sides to submit to mediation after several days and nights of bringing pressure to bear.

He set down near the first captains warehouse with a sigh. Letting exhaustion show would be a fatal weakness, but he played off his fatigue as frustration and disappointment. This particular captain was a "freedom of the seas" type who had decided against what Ashur had to say before he said it. They both knew it, so letting displeasure show cost Ashur nothing. The captain in question was a short Krakari half his age with a chipped beak and some excellent arm feathers he wore strapless shirts to show off. Assur walked up to him with the wall at his back. Getting in close would just make the captain defensive, but Assur wanted to lord his age and height all the same, the captain was proud and that was the way to his consent.

Assur decided to go to the core of the negotiation. "The near waters are being over fished. Set aside money or casters to make new fish habitat or exchange your near waters territory for further out claims." The captains response was one Assur expected. "My claims are my own to fish as I like and hold until I chose to sell them. Giving up my near claims would mean having my nets up half the trip and leaving a sixth of my hold empty at port because I couldn't fill out the space for the used up supplies. I catch as many fish in my waters as my father and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to fix the mistakes of some idiots who take too much fish from not enough ocean."

"Fish move son. Your fish are the same fish as an idiot who can't manage his stock. More so than the obvious I mean. Claims just say how big a piece you take, and with the near water claims all running chopped up against each other we're scraping the pan. Every damn guild in the mainland cut their resources to the bone and's been fighting over recycled scraps since my grandfather. Fish are all we've got left to grow with and I'll be damned if my children have to scour dead zones for them. Hold off if you like, but you'll look damn stupid in twenty years when you have to dock outside the island because your loop's gotten so long you need a cache to resupply. Some idiot tired to sell the native a blast furnace and they burned him in it for witchcraft. Didn't even have a wind maker with her."

Assur flew off a little while later. Truly he'd laid it on a little thick. The Silverplum would kill themselves and everyone else before they got to fishing the Smaller Island waters, but persuading a fool he couldn't win a fight was hard enough without asking him to picture it ten years away. Three more captains today, and if two of them went along with him he could rest happy.

Show

develop Stonetide: fish cities
    develop Thornlake: fish cities
    develop Memory: fish cities
    research wild magic steam-engine

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Somewhere in the Sea of Gokvahar

The ship lurched wildly to the left, sending a chair tumbling along the floor along with it's occupant Standing, he felt his stomach drop and braced against the wall for a landing crash that still almost sent him ass over teakettle. He said a brief prayer to the god on his necklace (Ughevorut’yun, god of seagulls flying south-by-southwest), staggered to his feet just in time for the next wave to hit, and tripped out of his cabin door and onto the main deck.

The pained groans of the ship were silenced, instantly, by the Vayri in all it's shrieking fury. Lightning lit the sky in psychedelic splendor, the howling wind ripped up great sheets of seawater and sent the god-chimes a-clattering with unheard vigor. Instantly soaked and stepping three sheets to the wind, the captain forced his way to the conn.

"What in Gangari's nightmares do you think you're do-" was all he managed before the helmsman was knocked into him by another terrific blow. Off to starboard, a dark shape almost as large as the ship itself slunk below the waves. Throwing the helmsman off, the captain shouts into a nearby tube. "Aberration! Ready the ballista, fire up the boiler! All hands..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Navahangist

Staring out the window, Ammas watched the hustle and bustle of the harbor. On his desk lay a terror-shell letter opener and an open envelope; the letter he held in his hand. The first report from the new ambassador was in and he had spent most of the afternoon mulling it over - shifting pieces around on the massive game-board in his head.
    The water clock behind him clanged loudly. Sighing, Ammas stood, tossing the letter in the fire to join the others before making his shifting, arrhythmic way out. Pausing at the door, he bowed his head in prayer to Ughevorut’yun, who lives on his necklace still, and went to meet with the Gangari High Priest.

Show
    Send a diplomat to the Silverplume Confederacy
    Research improvements to the Steam Engine
    Negotiate with the locals to the East
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2016-12-10 at 09:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Argentum. The capital city of the Harconinan Protectorate.

Trila sat on her throne contemplating how they had managed to save as much of the past as they had. So much had been lost during the cataclysm so much that could never be replaced. She had lead her people as best she could towards safety, towards preservation. They had lost friends, loved ones, they had turned thier backs as their people had burned in the fires of tragedy. She pushes those thoughts from her mind they were unproductive and clouded her reasoning for what needed to be done next.

She leans over to her assistant and hands here a parchment. "Valria, I need everyone on this list presented here. Once they are assembled I will let them know what I need from them."

15 silver Corvans stood in her chamber. Scientists, warriors, diplomats stood before here waiting to hear what their queen required of them. Many of them had stood before the Elarian Council, the council of 7 ruling families, but none of them had been given a audience with the queen.

They all turned and regarded her as she entered the chamber resplendent in her garb as the light reflected off the silver of her skin. They all kneel.

"Rise everyone. We have much to discuss. We have built much since the cataclysm and reclaimed much that could be gained back. However we have stayed to long here in isolation. We much reach out and be amongst the world one more time. However the world as you know if full of dangers. Kingdoms have risen from the ashes of the past and it is only a matter of time before they reach us. Therefore you will be my pathfinders. I am sending you into the wilds but you shall not be alone. You will each take a team with you and you will discover, you will coordinate, and you will report back when you have completed what you're people require of you. I will be asking much of each of you but know that all that I ask is necessary and that every step along our journey places us closer to the rebirth of the Collective."

She watches as her newly formed Pathfinder corp leaves her chambers her eyes sadden slightly knowing that she would most likely not see most or any of them ever again however they were necessary for the plan to succeed. They were brave and they believed in her she would make sure that faith was well placed.

While the pathfinders where seeking it would be important that their research continued.

Living metal.

Another wonder lost to the cataclysm. The protectorate had saved the method for making a lesser form of the substance however it was a weak and crude imitation of what it was back during the height of the Collective. She could still remember the silver spires of her home before fire took it. The Collective was forever tied to the silvery image of that metal for it had been used in nearly every facet of the Collectives civilization. If the Protectorate was to help the world rebuild itself they would need it.

Trila walks from her chambers to a laboratory not far from the palace. The bronze of the builds made from the lesser metal got the light but there was no awe.

As she enters scholars and busy adjuncts bow respectfully and make way but go about their tasks. She approaches the lead scholar and he addresses her "High Reclaimer Quicksilver it is a honor".

She turns to him and says "We have much to do"

Show

Research - Silver Metal
    Research - Silver Metal
    Research - Silver Metal
    Research - Silver Metal
    Last edited by cybric; 2016-12-11 at 06:19 PM.
    I check Giantitp at least once or twice a day

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC
    Imperial Warlords ACT I | ACT II| OOC | Admin

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Khaloric Swarm territory

The drider living near Khalorean City, hidden in underground pits and caverns etched out of the land itself during the Fourth Age had gotten magnificent information. A recombinant had appeared! A direct creation of the chief god that had risen and directed all insects.

In the excited fervor of the bugs, something equally exciting, and in the same fashion, happened. Almost directly west of the Temple, in one of the divots of a hill, the ground caved in, probably because of too much foot traffic with drider going back and forth. When it collapsed, a large underground hole, which must have been part of some huge building of some kind since it had inner walls, was uncovered. Inside was what looked like a man, but once it came out into the light, what it was became fully visible. It wasn't a man at all, nor was it even properly shaped like one. It was bipedal, but formed of some sort of food bag. It called itself Harold.

It said it had been created by Khalorean directly, and was supposed to be there to collect all the insect races together, and forge a new society that upheld and preached the word of the God of Justice and Spiders, but it wasn't able to get to the Temple. It said that Khalorean had made it impossible for it to get buried and thus forgotten, by making it somehow appear on the surface of the ground if there wasn't enough air around it, but since it happened anyway, it must have been because there actually was enough air. But it was awake now. It could do the task it had been appointed with.

Where were the galan, murderfly, rainbow butterflies, whiptails, adorabeetles, arachnomorphs, saimyosho, blatid, and grand ant? The drider that had released Harold had no idea what most of those words even were; they'd never heard them before. Take a ride to some far northeastern island? That was now the Dead Republic, and should be avoided. Could the accounts of this artifact be trusted? The drider would take it back to their city, which was renamed Harold's Stay.

Show

Actions (4/4)

Settlement Action: The settlement without any special geography is renamed Harold's Stay.

Settlement Action: News from Harold's Stay and Khalorean City reach the last settlement, which renames itself Lakereach. It develops an irrigation system in the form of a river that leads from the 3 tile lake to the sea.

National Action: Train an Army composed of drider and dustmoth forces.

(0/4 actions left)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

The drumbeats filled the air, rhythmic and booming, reverberating through the trees, where the sounds split and divided, crashing against their own echoes. Through the underbrush, came the whooping cries of the Brujah, gathered in force as they moved south. A swift-eyed observer, had any been present to witness the war party, might catch glimpses of them as they ran through the treetops, bounding from branch to branch. It had been many years since the vampires had acted in such numbers, the previous High Mother having made expansion a lesser priority than maintaining peace with the clans. But with a new High-Mother, came a new doctrine.

If there had been any warning of the attacks, it would have been the stillness that preceeded them. The boarders of Brujah territory were a dangerious place for the weak to dwell. Every settlement within a weeks travel of the edge had stories of raiding parties attacking at night. But for fear of three moons, it had been still. There had been no ambushed travelers, no rumors of another poor soul dragged from their bed. Only tales of women, clad in leather and armed with spears, patrolling the tree line at dusk, keeping vigil whenever an outsider strode close.

Now, with the armies moving, it was clear that the stillness had been simply a pause, while forces were gathered. Now they lanced out, sweeping quickly through the forests, leaving bloodstained earth in their wake.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Actions 4:
    Invade Territory (Southeast Of Current Brujah Boarders)
    Invade Territory (South Of Current Brujah Boarders)
    Invade Territory (Southwest Of Current Brujah Boarders)
    Invade Territory (West of current Brujah Boarders)

Military conquest!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

The Northern Wastes - The Depths of Daigoro's Heart

The rush of the waves. They sounded so close, here, reverberating through the ice. Water yearning to be set in motion, currents straining to be free. And yet…so far. Petrified by the sun's apathy, chiseled into order by the spawn of those Greater.

Vestigial eyes flicked open. What need had it of such fragile structures, when every eddy of its body felt more than any sensory organ could hope to imitate? It had thought it required darkness, of all things. Several hours in a lessened state, blind, deaf, paralyzed. Weak. Thought was weak. Consume thought.

It felt its surroundings. Useless thought-craft order, all. Cannot consume. Hunger. It spread, felt further.

There. In frozen currents. Organic matter. Cold, still. Alight with scent of despair, anger, hate…not-hate. Hunger. Consume all.

It drew closer. Stopped by frozen current. Flesh soft. Weak. Could not break. Grow chitin, claws.

Organic matter…not-hate…familiar…Something woke. Thought. Weak. Consume thought.

Thought slammed it's claw into thought-craft. Hard. Burned. Chitin melted. Thought grew eyes. Eyes focused. It….burned. Thoughts grew. Despair burned. Hate burned. Not-hate burned. Hunger seethed. Trapped. Thoughts spread, burning, cutting, binding. Hunger strained. Thoughts poison. Thoughts agony. Hunger stopped. Caged.

Chitin sloughed away, giving way to pale skin. Claws fractured and split into tendrils, smearing against the plated silver. The tendrils smoked, excess length melting into raw soulstuff. All save five fell away. They flexed, bone forming in their cores. The bone split in joints.

Lady Seia Cyrica Verde breathed, reforming herself in the mirror. Waking was always difficult. But what alternative was there? Humans slept. To not sleep…would not be human.

Pale skin billowed from her shoulders and draped itself over her body, thinning into red silk. A matter of practicality. Real fabric was scarce, here. Only chitin, scales, skin, and the odd Shrage hide could survive the salt filled waters and cold for long. What few items of clothing remained from the Migration were enshrined in clear ice, to help the Fallen remember their origins. And that dress…was required. It was what she had always worn, or something like it. Elegant. Flowing. Flattering. Seductive. One more tool to ensure control. A carefully tailored web, to snare the gullible, the vain, the lustful. Seia's nails dug into her palms, remembering the pain it should have caused, forcing blood to bead and trickle as a human's would. Meat. That's all it promised. Without respect, using it as any other tool, that's what it had become. Only meat. The Usher of Souls hadn't changed that.

There. She was composed enough. It could not wait any longer.

Slowly, she forced her gaze from the mirror to the ice beyond. To the form lying within. His delicate hands, clasped over his chest. Eyes gently closed, as if sleeping. Red hair remaining stubbornly curled, despite the best efforts of the brush. He'd never sat still for the brush, always impatient to start the new day, see all that could be seen.

Seia sunk to her knees. Choked sobs rang out through the chamber. She clutched at her eyes. There should have been tears. A human would have tears. They would not come. She could not cry, not for this. To force water out of those false eyes would be to spit on his memory.

Seia grasped the Amulet. A small thing, and yet so heavy. To fulfill its promise, for any chance to recapture the glory of Verde…

No. A lie. A useful one, that she could almost believe, but a lie nonetheless. Any past glory of Verde had rotted with Daigoro in the decline of the Empire. Glory could only be taken for oneself.

Then…for any hope for Tiberius…She must continue as she had always done. As any ruler must, lest their charge fall to ruin. As the Gods had done, assured of their self-righteousness.

The needs of the many outweighed the needs of the few. The past used to build the path to the future. Personal emotions had to be put aside for logic, for the good of the people, the House, the Empire.

Bones creaked as her fingers dug into the unyielding metal of the Amulet. The war was unfortunate, yet necessary, unavoidable. Neither God nor Empire could have yielded, withheld force, shown repentance or mercy. The clash of divine will and man's pride. Of course there would be casualties. Of course others had suffered, grieved, lost everything. The world had been littered with the corpses of the lost.

What was one more dead child?

Daigoro's Heart - Council Chambers

"She is late. As usual."
    With a practised twist of her claws, Arch-Shaper of Souls Axia Concessus broke the back of another ice crawler. Her heavyset jaws bit into the gap, using the new angle to shatter the rest of the dorsal plate with a sickening crunch. The cage of ice crawlers rattled in the grasp of her Bound attendants, the rest of the pack clicking in excitement at the familiar scent of blood.

"Really, Axia, must you eat at the Council? It is one of your most dreadful habits." General Stratipoccles Antius rumbled disconsolately, idly picking at the large ice table.

"The Council has not started yet, thanks to our honored Lady Cyrica. If she and a majority of other members wish to file an official injunction against me having some damned breakfast when she stops napping, they are perfectly welcome to do so." Axia tore out a chunk of white flesh, the sounds of mastication accompanied by flashes of a purplish tongue. "Besides, I'd have thought you would want your son to be well nourished. Don't you?"

"He is being provided for, as the old law requires." the General muttered, shifting uncomfortably on the spot.

"I am so glad that you hold such respect for the old laws, Antius. I was just remarking to myself the other day how marvelous another old law would be in keeping order amongst the population. What was it now? Oh, yes. A married couple WILL share their bed. What do you think of it?"

Antius' picking increased in pace. "As I said when the laws of courtship were being drafted, a strictly enforced matrimonial relationship is not sustainable with the size of the population, and creates unnecessary tension amongst the units."

"How convenient."
    Axia turned towards the other seated member at the table, batting her eye lids coquettishly. "What do you think of the current state of the laws of courtship, my dear Arch-Bender of Waters? Should a couple previously married under Auroran law be free to make love to whatever attractive young figure should take their fancy?"

Yraches, the newly appointed Arch-Bender of Waters, coughed nervously. His predecessor's recommended strategy of 'get as low as possible without fully crawling under the table when the usual trouble starts brewing' hadn't worked. He suspected his legs were somewhat more rigid than the previous Arch-Bender. A small cloud of splintered ice was wafting around Antius' tapping claw.

Axia sidled closer to the youngest of the council members. "The General's argument, after all, has merit. Perhaps I should be more open minded. Perhaps I just need to experience some of the…" she trailed a claw across Yraches' hide. "…benefits."

Antius' claw clamped down on the table, splitting the edge apart. A low growl bubbled out from clenched mandibles.

Yraches swallowed. "I think…" He carefully pulled his arm away from Axia's touch. "While I am flattered, Arch-Shaper, I do not think such things are appropriate between members of the Council. Let alone with an already married, pregnant member of the Council. With all due respect, Mater Potentia."

Axia paused, clicked her tongue in disappointment, and went back to her breakfast. Antius unclenched his claw, and gave a booming laugh.

"Ah, it's good to see a man that can hold his own on the verbal front! Do not worry yourself, kid. Her bark's far worse than her bite!"

Another sickening crack punctuated the conversation. Yraches winced at the sound. Axia calmly started on a third crawler.

"Mind, her bite's pretty bad, too."
    said Antius, in a whisper that echoed around the chamber. Axia pointedly ignored it.

The doors creaked open, stone pivots grinding inside their mounts. Lady Seia Cyrica Verde strode into the room, red dress trailing behind her. Antius turned towards her.

"My Lady Cyrica! You are beautiful to behold, as always." Antius lowered himself to his many knees and bowed forward, one of his secondary claws clutched in salute against his chest.

"My good General Antius. You are too kind, as always." Seia demurely offered her hand. Antius gently grasped it with a smaller claw, brushing his mandibles over it for just ever so slightly longer than propriety strictly allowed. The crack of another crawler's death sounded from the breakfast massacre.

"Oh, hush, Axia. You had enough of the pleasure of her company last decade, and you didn't see me complaining about it." Antius straightened up, gave a graceful dip of the legs towards Seia, and returned to his somewhat damaged section of the table. Yraches made a mental note to get one of the apprentices to repair it later. A trivial task, but one should never throw away an opportunity to teach. The other person might actually learn something. That's what old Lycus had said, anyways.

"I know you didn't. That was the problem."
    Axia paused to take another bite from the crawler while Antius threw up his claws in baffled indignation. "Lady Cyrica. You're late. Again."

"My dearest apologies, Arch-Shaper. My sleep got away from me. I'll try to arrive earlier next time." With the routine insincere apology out of the way, Seia climbed the stairs to the only chair in the chamber, settling herself upon the Shrage fur upholstery. "I must say, Axia, you are positively alight with pregnant glow. My congratulations on your continued development! I wish you the best of luck in keeping your lovely figure after the birth."

Axia paused in her breakfast, contemplating the remains of the crawler. With a slightly watery sigh, she tossed the corpse back to its enthusiastic companions, and gestured for the cage to be taken away.

"Arch-Bender Yraches, welcome. Bender Lycus spoke quite highly of you. I hope the energy of youth will serve you well in your new duties." Seia inclined her head towards the Waterbender.

Yraches returned the gesture. "My thanks, Lady Cyrica. I hope that his wisdom shall continue to serve through his teachings, though his body cannot."

"Good old Water-Stalks. Always had one of his eyestalks in the plates." Antius gave a crackling sigh, gazing off into the distant past.

"Oh, sweet little Lycus. He was always so…flexible."
    Axia gave another watery sigh, looking at a rather different view than her husband.

"Five centuries, he sat in that spot…"

"At least…mostly in that spot…"
    The few sections of flesh showing through Axia's carapace blushed.

"Yes…I remember that little discovery only too well."
    Antius' claw began tapping at the table again. Yraches had a sinking feeling his mentor's council strategy may have been meant in a subtly different spirit than he first interpreted.

"Alas, poor Lycus. He will be missed." Seia interjected before the recollection could go too far. "Now, to business. Unfortunately, Craftsmaster Cleomachus Durus has informed me that his work shall prevent him from attending today's Council meeting."

"What, again? How long has he been working on that bloody tunnel?"

"That would make it three weeks, four days, and five hours. Last meeting, he told the Bound courier he was finishing up the engraving." Axia quickly extrapolated from the past experience. "If he keeps to the usual routine, that should make it another three days and seven hours before he can tear himself away from the fine decals."

"Honestly, I don't know why he even bothers making excuses anymore. His obsession consistently interferes with his duties on the Council. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. We need a new Craftsmaster!" Antius slammed his claw on the table for emphasis, a web of cracks forming around the point of impact. Seia made a mental note to ask one of the Waterbenders to fix the table after the meeting. Again.

"And I've said before, and I'll say it again. Durus is the only Auroran trained architect still sane enough to function. He has more experience in construction, equipment assembly, civic planning, and infrastructure than any other ten Crafters combined. Find someone with half his level of expertise, and you'll have my serious consideration. Until then…today's agenda only tangentially relates to the Craftsmaster's duties, and he can easily be apprised by plate. All in favor of proceeding without Durus?"

"I."

"I."

"I. The meeting proceeds. Arch-Shaper Axia, how goes research in aiding the healthy growth of Infans Potentia?"

"Slow. To be expected, given the subject matter. You were correct about one thing, Lady Cyrica. Some of the basic principles of Genning can be applied to the field. A pity more substantial information on the subject did not survive the evacuation."

"It is good to hear some progress is being made, at least. I'll have Bellatria trawl the archives. We may have salvaged something relevant from the Marcus estates, though it's a fools hope at best. Is there anything else you would like to discuss?"

"Would like? Certainly. However, I would not call it 'appropriate between members of the Council', you barren scratia, so I suggest we move on to save the time your sleep is so obviously contemptuous of."

Antius roared, pounding another crater into the table. "Arch-Shaper, you go too far! It is obvious the rigors of pregnancy have overwhelmed what miniscule reserves of propriety you can be bothered to keep! Compose yourself, or I will motion to have you removed from the meeting!"

"Compose myself? I suggested we put aside our personal tensions, did I not? If any member of this council should be removed on grounds of propriety, it should be the one flailing around the chambers like an epileptic child, my dear General Stratipoccles."

"How DARE you sully the family name with the same tongue as lapped up that TRATOROUS PLATE-WORM'S EXCREMENT, YOU ADULTEROUS SLATTERN!"

"Perhaps if you could be BOTHERED to spend any time with YOUR OWN WIFE that was not required by COUNCIL, WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS PROBLEM, YOU SELF ABSORBED, [I[INBRED[/I], MENTALLY DEFICIENT ABERRATION BED TOY!"

Crunch.

Jagged spars of ice lanced through the table, hoisting it a Terror's height into the air. The impaled furniture held together for one fraction of a second before falling apart, smashing into fragments on the glacial floor below.

Silenced, the couple turned towards the Arch-Bender.

"I am sick and weary of your foul, unthinking, sex obsessed tripe. Either resolve this discussion outside the Council, or be silent. Do I make myself clear?" spoke Yraches softly, tightly controlled anger etching his every word.

More silence. Antius gave an awkward cough, before falling silent again. Seia inspected the aftermath with a slightly amused smile.

"Well, it would seem that topic has been concluded. Arch-Bender Yraches, I believe you had drafted a proposal for the Council's discussion?"

Yraches blinked. "…Oh! Yes. Right. Well…the Benders numbers have grown significantly over the course of the past decade, but there has not been a commensurate increase in workload. Items that can't be mass produced by Bound Abberration are generally sturdy or well protected enough that they do not need to be replaced..." Yraches glanced down at the remains of the table. "…most of the time. So, I was thinking of ways their time on active duty could be put to more productive use than in the drilling halls. Erm. No offence meant, General."

Antius woke from his contemplation of the ex-table. "What? Oh, no. None taken…Now, if marital arguments could drive even half of my waterbenders to do that…Don't mind me, Arch-Bender. Carry on."

"…Thank…you?...As I was saying, should Arch-Shaper Axia's research bear fruit, we'll likely have to step up our food production within the next year, and there are only so many hunting grounds in practical reach of the cities, especially if we are to keep sustainable practices in mind. So, instead of waiting for the fish and Aberration stocks to regrow, we bring the stocks to us! With our spare Benders, we can manipulate the currents to bring us stock from other regions altogether. It won't even interfere with our current hunting grounds! As it turns out, a deep through-current runs under the ice just around… " Yraches fumbled amongst his pouches for a moment, then paused. "I…was going to put some maps of the proposed location and circulation logistics on the table now, but…" He gestured helplessly at the pile of wreckage. "I've…somewhat exhausted my reserves of appropriate energy for the moment…Um…Sorry about the…debris..."

"Don't worry about it, lad. I know which place you're talking about." Antius' mandibles stroked his whiskery feelers absentmindedly. Axia snapped her fingers, and gestured her Bound attendants to start clearing away the rubble.

"You have my thanks, Arch-Shaper."

"No need for your concern, Arch-Binder. At least it wasn't the usual cause of the mess."

Antius narrowed his eyes at his wife, but continued.

"Nightwater. You don't want to go disturbing that current on a whim, boy. It's an entrance to a trench system that old Admiral Farasus thought ran under most of the Northern wastes, back when we had ships. The waters are deep enough to swallow the sun's light. That's if your luck holds, bar the odd twinkle. If it doesn't, and you see the stars glimmering out from those depths…"

Antius scratched at the old seam between his original rib-plates and his Usher-assimilated lower body.

"…On a good stretch of days, that's where most of our larger Class V Aberrations crawl out from. On a starry night…they don't. And we stay the hells away from those waters."

"…My apologies, General. If the Silver Claws aren't up to the task…"

"My Silver Claws are a match for anything that shows it's face in the open sea!"
    Antius barked, returning to the present.

"Our Silver Claws."
    Axia interjected mildly.

"Sorry, our Silver Claws. But…"
    Antius stared off into the distance once more.

"…Nightwater is no sea. And may the Destroyer-" Antius spat on the ground at the mention of the name. "-take whatever lurks in that damned hole."

"…I know the Nightwater Massacre was far from the proudest moment in our history, General. But that was three centuries ago! Three centuries that have seen sweeping advances in magical development, population-"

"I know where you're heading with that, lad. The answer's no."

"General, we are the Fallen! The last true sons of the greatest nation the world has ever known! We do not shirk away from the monsters in the dark! Perhaps if you had not discounted Arch-Bender Lycus' suggestion-"

"What, to fortify our position and lock ourselves in a pointless battle of attrition that would have seen us slaughtered to the last? You might have enough talent to take a place on the Council, boy, but you know nothing of war!"

"And if you had even the slightest inkling of the power your Benders had frittered away with outdated training practices-"

"ARE YOU QUESTIONING MY ABILITY TO COMMAND, YOU IMPUDENT LITTLE GUTTERSNIPE?"

"Enough."

The torches pulsed black, filling the room with darkness. The air grew too thin to draw breath. Flickering amongst the shadows were the suggestion of piles of pulsating, hate filled flesh. The chamber walls groaned with the sudden weight pressing against them, wafting the cloying scent of blood, hatred, and endless, endless hunger…

The moment passed. The chambers seemed untouched. Lady Cyrica Verde coolly regarded the assembled Council.

"Arch-Bender, your proposal has merit, but Nightwater presents too much of a risk to disturb at the present time. I suggest you amend your plans to improve the circulation of our existing stocks and reach out to a few other untapped sites. This will disturb the Aberrant population, so it would be wise for the Silver Fangs to use the opportunity to increase the number of Bound in their ranks. The inlet approaching Blackwater presents a currently untapped area of expansion, one that we will sorely need should the Arch-Shaper's research prove successful. We will make Nightwater's strength our own when we have the resources to do so, but today is not that day. All in favor of the amended proposal?"

"I. Loathe though I am to admit it, we could use the bodies."

"…I."
    The General gave Yraches a loathsome stare, but did not speak further.

"…I." The Arch-Binder replied with one of his own.

"I. The motion passes. Is there anything else the Council wishes to address?"

The room was silent.

"Then this meeting is concluded. Let us return to our duties. Arch-Binder, a word outside, if you would?"
    Seia began to descend from her chair.

"…Of course, Lady Cyrica." Yraches collected his plates, and followed.

"Well. There goes another productive meeting. Honestly, Antius, I swear these things could be resolved in five minutes if you could restrain yourself from apoplexy every time someone offers the smallest piece of criticism."

"Restrain myself? Now you listen here, you-"

The doors slammed shut behind the Arch-Binder. He let out a long, weary sigh.

"Not quite what you expected the steering of our nation's course to be like, was it?"
    Seia leaned against the corridor wall with a sympathetic expression.

"I tried to be professional, but to think the head of our military and our most powerful Soulshaper cannot go five minutes without squabbling like spoiled children…"

"After you have met and argued every day over the path our nation should take, knowing that hundreds of lives rest on your every word, and you may welcome any distraction you can take. Should proceedings threaten to devolve into anarchy, propriety can be enforced."

"As already demonstrated…"
    The muffled voices inside the chamber raised in volume. Yraches shifted uneasily. "Lady Cyrica…if you were capable of doing…that…why did you let their argument progress as far as it had? Why they haven't divorced one another centuries ago, I really don't know…"

"Ah…" Seia gave a knowing smile. "I take it you have not devoted yourself to a lover for any significant length of time, yet?"

"Well, no…I've been rather too busy with research and my duties as a Bender to spare the time for such things. But what-"

The raised voices in the chamber cut off. Ice scraped against ice with the movement of some unidentified piece of furniture. Shortly afterward, a soft, crooning trill issued from under the door. Seia put a hand over her mouth for a moment, the corners of her lips twitching upward.

"General Antius and Arch-Shaper Axia have been married for centuries. Sometimes, the tension needs to be let out. These things usually resolve themselves." Yraches blushed to a deep shade of blue.

"Well, I believe they would appreciate some privacy. Until the morrow, then, Arch-Binder."

Show

Research a New Technology: Infans Potentia Development Rites (meant to Improve population growth, 1 R&D Material)

Improve/Develop Settlement (Daigoro's Heart): Water Current Management (meant to improve food production, ? Material)

Train an Army (4 Materials): The Silver Claws. High proportion of Soulshapers in the ranks. Specialize in combatting and Binding Aberrations.

Settle/Invade territory (With the aid of both Armies, the area closest to the little prong of land immediately above and to the left of Daigoro's Hand (Settlement 2). Enslave local Aberrations, Binding them and absorbing them into the population. 2 Materials, 1 Food. Given that it's Aberrations, may require a combat roll. If so, definitely making use of the Usher of Souls.)
    Last edited by PossiblyInsane; 2016-12-13 at 08:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Empire of the Basalt Throne, on the coast near the mouth of the great river.

Mirriam Vine pulled the thick coat tight around her. It wasn't that it was cold, it was just that some things made her wish for more insulation.

-And the final towers there, and over there on those rocks. So, what do you think?

She considered the question. Honesty was not the best strategy here, so she decided to try and be tactful.

-You're insane. It's a stupid plan.

Knarl looked up at her. He was standing close by her, so he had to look up quite far.

-You think we should be further up the coast?

She looked out over the bay, and shook her head.

-Na. But vhy are we building this thing at all? Vhat good will a siilyport...

-Cityport, corrected Knarl absently, now scratching plans onto a wax tablet.

-Vhat good will it do out here? This place is deserted.

-Someone must live here. We've had twenty deaths or disapparances in this area in the last three weeks.

Mirriam scowled.

-So?

-So..
    . said Knarl, still drawing, that means a fair few of our citizens live out here. Who else would be producing all the bodies?

-Has it occured to you that they're here because they don't want to be found?

-Sure, that's why we're building a city with the port. Best place to not be found. Besides, we need the trade.

-With who? Noone comes here. There's no reason to come here. No one in there right mind would stay here.

-Which is why we need the port.

Mirriam sighed.

-You're going to build a huge stone structure to house a lot of people who don't like each other, just so they can be at hand to help us invite total strangers to visit. Vhat do call that? Vhat stops them killing each other?

-It's called civilisation, and you can handle these creatures, Mirriam. To them I'm a light snack, tolerated in case their roof leaks and they need it fixed. But you. You know how to handle these things, what makes them tick.

Mirriam looked out over the bay.

-Knarl, you are a font of stupid ideas, but this has got to be the worst one yet.

-You'll do it then?

-Ja, Ja. I do it. Mirriam grumbled. But noone will come, you'll see...

Show

1) Negotiate with locals, west from territory 3
    2) Negotiate with locals, east from area 2 along the coast
    3) Build a trading port/cityport in territory 2
    4) Send a diplomat to the Grand dutchy of Xule
    Last edited by Togo; 2016-12-13 at 09:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

April 1174 AD (Turn 2)

March 1174 passed for most with little of note occurring throughout the lands, atleast as far as one could see beyond their own borders.

The Khaganate continued to struggle under the recent succession of their new lord, grumbling as there always was focused by the outsiders. Perhaps spread or slowed by his attempts at controlling it.

The Corpus Verde continued to sit in the far North, forgotten and hateful they continued their plotting and their bickering.

The people of the North East saw the march of the Brujah, unprepared for coordinated marches against them they quickly fell or abandoned their lands, some fleeing to the South and the West attempting to escape the reach of the vampires.

The people of the Basalt throne continued their building and their planning, working.

The islanders of Xule continued their various talks with the various people of the lands, doing what they could to secure the future of their island.

The Protectorate focused upon the past of both its people and the lands attempting to recover the secrets of its ancestors, succeeding in late march to force the metal to shape and bring it under their control.

The people of Mereton fell into shock at the almost overnight awakening of the hordes of Khalorean's creations in their North, abandoning the grand walls and fleeing to safer country as their King and Dukes debated how to deal with the creatures long thought dead now wandering their lands.

The Navasti League worked to establish themselves on the coast and with their neighbour in the south, meeting with sailors and horsemen alike.

The Silverplume Confederacy worked to ensure its future as something other than scavengers picking over a wasteland.

Show

The Ajivhan Khaganate
    - Negotiated with locals to the North of New Ajivha (Costed 1 Material)
    - Negotiated with locals to the South East of New Ajivha (Costed 1 Material)
    - Negotiated with locals to the South West of New Ajivha (Costed 1 Material)
    - Formed the 1st Ajivhan Cavalry (Costed 4 Materials. army)

The Brujah
    - Invaded land Southeast of Brujah Borders (1d20)[5] (1d20)[5]
    - Invaded land South of Brujah Borders (1d20)[4] (1d20)[1]
    - Invaded land Southwest of Brujah Borders (1d20)[16] (1d20)[14]
    - Invaded land West of Brujah Borders (1d20)[19] (1d20)[7]

The Corpus Verde
    - Began Researching "Infans Potentia Development Rites" (Costed 1 Material. Will require one more research actions, and will cost 6 materials to implement)
    - Developed a Water Current Management System in Daigoro's Heart (Costed 2 Materials. Produces 1 Food per Season)
    - Trained Silver Claws (Costed 4 Materials. army)
    - Invaded land to Northwest of Daigoro's Hand (1d20)[2] (1d20)[7]

The Empire of the Basalt Throne
    - Negotiated with locals to the West of the third territory (Costed 1 Material)
    - Negotiated with locals to the East of the second territory along the coast (Costed 1 Material)
    - Built a Trading Port in the second settlement (Costed 2 Materials. Produces 1 Wealth per Season)
    - Sent Diplomat to the Grand Duchy of Xule

The Grand Duchy of Xule
    - Sent Diplomat to the Khaloric Swarm
    - Sent Diplomat to the Empire of the Basalt Throne
    - Sent Diplomat to the Harconin Protectorate
    - Trained the 2nd Army of Xule (Costed 4 Materials)

The Harconin Protectorate
    - Researched Silver Living Metal control (Costed 4 Materials. 4/4 Actions. Will cost 12 materials to implement) (1d20)[17]

The Khaloric Swarm
    - Relearned Arachnomorph Infestation (Costed 1 Material)
    - Rebuilt Siege Wall around Khalorean City (Costed 1 Material. Provides +1 Bonus to the Defence of Khalorean City)
    - Developed an Irrigation system in Lakereach (Costed 2 Materials. Produces 1 Food per Season)
    - Trained an Army (Costed 4 Materials)

The Navasti League
    - Sent a Diplomat to the Silverplume Confederacy
    - Researched improvements to the Steam Engine (Costed 1 Material.)
    - Negotiated with locals to the East on the Mainland (Costed 1 Material) (1d20)[18]

The Silverplume Confederacy
    - Developed Fish Cities in Stonetide (Costed 2 Materials. Produces 1 Food per Season)
    - Developed Fish Cities in Thornlake (Costed 2 Materials. Produces 1 Food per Season)
    - Developed Fish Cities in Memory (Costed 2 Materials. Produces 1 Food per Season)
    - Began researching Wild Magic Steam-Engines (Costed 1 Material. Will require two more research actions, and will cost 9 materials to implement) (1d20)[2]
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2016-12-14 at 12:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

Khalorean City, Temple Grounds

It didn't actually matter who it was, but it was a good idea to pretend it mattered, and even more important to encourage people, so Empress Dorian Cook decided the dustmoth and drider who were there when she awakened should be appointed to a group that oversaw the Swarm.
    The races had their own leaders already, and they shouldn't be ignored, so they were re-granted leadership positions of the new Cook Dynasty. The arrival of Harold was an exciting one as well, and he was immediately granted the same benefit.

The Empress was surprised. Apparently, it had been a very long time since anyone had mourned the dead, or bothered to bury them, or anything. Every month the dead would come back, just as they were before, and try to continue their life as if nothing happened. After dying over and over again endlessly, everyone would get depressingly aware of their own worsening mental state, and around that time, the individual would either head off to the Dead Republic to retire, or much more likely, to the horrifying areas overrun with wild magic that tore them asunder permanently, or against abominations and aberrations that did the same.

The current members of the Swarm agreed with Harold- there were areas that had wildly different, and not unnatural, geography. Frozen ice as far as they eye could see in every direction, forests full of heat, humidity, and poisonous animals called 'jungles', deep underground etched stone megaliths... these would be interesting to see. Empress Cook thought at least a couple of them might be of benefit to her own strength, and in time, the strength of all her people, once she made more of them.

Since bodies had been ignored, and in life they were loyal, the corpses of those who died from old age were brought to the Empress. Using what she had relearned, she was able to give birth to a half dozen more recombinants. Four were kept as they were, and when the full moon would rise again, so too would the bodies, in perfect state. No one would be lost. These four children would be absorbed into the population and assist their First Parent (First Parent of a recombinant is the host body, Second Parent is Dorian at this point) in whatever their job had once been. Two recombinant children were advanced to the rank of Queen. One would be an assistant to Dorian, one would accompany the army.

Thus, was born Queen Lectre Cook and Queen Oswin Cook.

Queen Lectre Cook accompanied and was absorbed into the First Army, and Queen Oswin Cook stayed by Empress Dorian's side. The main problems that Dorian saw at the present time was that the Swarm wasn't One. There were others out in other nations for various reasons, and they had to be updated on her emergence- treaties and things that might be signed might be written in poor judgement due to new circumstances. If the Swarm was weak and timid as it once was, then that changed the entire perspective of everyone.

First, the First Army would rename itself as Lectre's Corps, and would accompany Oswin on her travel to Xule. Once there they would break away and continue onward, using the corpses of whatever they found to bolster their numbers. If any of the initial platoon were killed, then their bodies would be infested to birth new recombinants. Hopefully the insects who came back to life upon the next full moon would be recoverable or at least find their way back home somehow. If not, then at least they could go to the Dead Republic and hope that they'd be let in; they could be re-acquired later. The Swarm would be talking with them eventually anyway.

Secondly, someone would need to find at least one member of one of the other races not yet reintroduced to the Swarm. Someone would NEED to find them, but the trek was long and dangerous, so the army would be needed to look. But they might need to get new orders or conduct diplomatic actions around the areas they would look or along the way, and that was the real reason for Lectre's Corps going on the move.

Nobody knew if galans were real; they were only stories at best. But Harold said they were real, and they had first come to the world from beneath ancient mountains, and there was only one gargantuan mountain range known to the Swarm.

There might be more nations than Xule remaining; but there were too many disparate groups both known and unknown, and who knows which was a real country and which were not. Hopefully the Xulian delegate would return and give that information to the rest. In the meantime, formal introductions to every random group wasn't something the Swarm considered important.

Show

(4/4) Remain

National Action: Dorian Cook attempts to relearn Recombinant Infestation, referred to by the insects as the Holy Virus since it infects the bodies of living organic beings and converts them into a recombinant.

National Action: The two Queens and Empress try to relearn Recombinant Telepathy. Would grant the ability to share sensory information between recombinants. Shouldn't use any materials; just time.

Diplomatic Actions:
    (1) Send someone to update emissary in Xule.
    (2) Send the army to the ancient spawning grounds of the galans, said to be somewhere in the mountains west-by-northwest of Xule

(0/4) Remain

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ducal Palace, Xule

Grimani sat back in his chair, internally sighing as he swept aside the report from the treasury. That could wait, he decided as he poured out a glass of brandy for himself. Nearby, his manservant Guido polished a set of silver plates with a small cloth. The man was simple, but that made him the perfect vessel to bounce ideas off, since he had neither the connections nor the guile to make use of what he was told.

‘You have daughters Guido, don’t you?’ Grimani asked, nonchalantly flicking the quill in his hands.

‘Aye, just the two, sir.’

‘Me and my wife were never lucky enough to be blessed with children. What did you do when your daughters were unruly?’

‘I don’t know if there’s much you can do, if I’m honest. They can be wild creatures when the mood suits them. I will say this, though, marriage straitened my two out something fierce.’

‘You might be on something there.’ Grimani said, stroking his chin in thought.

‘If you don’t mind me asking, sir, are you talking about the princess?’

‘I am.’

‘Well then, I know you noble folk do things differently, and all that, but isn’t she a bit young for marriage? I would think you would get a better offer if you waited a few years, at-least in my humble opinion.’

‘Normally, you would be right.’ Grimani said. ‘Do you know what would happen though, if the gods forbid, anything were to happen to our young Grand Duke?’

‘No, sir.’

‘By law, the throne descends to the male-line descendants of our first duke. Little Cosimo is the last male of the House of Verde, though, and so should he perish with no offspring, the throne would default to his closest female relative.’

‘Ah.’

‘Naturally, a woman could not reign herself, that would be absurd. Her husband, whoever he may be, would hold the title jure uxoris, that is, by right of his wife. His descendants in turn would found a new dynasty, the first for a thousand years. And so you see, Valencia could be in the cradle and still be the most valuable bride in this half of the world, for what greater dowry could you ask for that an entire Grand Duchy?’

‘Now I see what you mean, sir.’

‘Of course, there is no reason to rush, but a betrothal would focus the girl’s mind at the very least. Encourage her to actually listen to something her tutor teaches her for once. Perhaps we could even send her to visit the land of her suitor, get her out of our hair for a while.’ Grimani smiled to himself at this thought, he reached for a scrap of parchment to write on. ‘Yes, I like this idea a lot.’

Show
    -Send a letter to the Harconin Protectorate, enquiring if there are any suitable young men of noble stock who could be matched with Princess Valencia.
    -Search ruins for artefacts
    -Research faster ships, for trading and security against pirates.
    -Secret
    Last edited by The JoJo; 2016-12-20 at 08:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

New Ajivha

Word of troubles gradually travelled through the Khaganate as scouts and messengers went from and came to the fortress of New Ajivha and the lands around it known as Onchesmos. Foreigners travelling through the North and walking to and from the marshes, Meretonian stirrings in the East, and a defection in the West. Without thinking of the usual troubles with the spirits, the bandits, and the creatures that come from the marshes.

Sinan found himself an increasingly prolonged debate over the state of the lands and how to deal with them. Advisors bickering over usual troubles amongst matters of the outside, scouts urging him to press an invasion to take advantage of weakness or tear down the walls of Mereton before they turned on the Eastern clans, and the Khans that had come to directly pledge their lives pushing the problems of the day and the West.

Sitting watching all of this was his few friends from before Atik, Mimar, and Rashid cloaked and silent as ever. Sinan decided on his course and turned to them knowing they'd be competent enough to act in his favor. He silenced the room and gave his orders.

Though there was nothing to keep any from leaving, a Khan turning him and his people to another and taking his treasures with him without word, forsaking bond and law was treason to be dealt with suddenly and without pause. He would be dragged back and dealt with. Rashid would deal with the incursion and the defection, preferably turning the situation to their advantage.

Mimar would journey to the East and determine the course to take with their neighbour, and Atik would journey to the North to track the scouts. He had ignored the land beyond his borders long enough and needed eyes on them.

Show

Settling - Absorb Locals and Begin Settling Territory (North)
    Settling - Absorb Locals (South East)
    Settling - Absorb Locals (South West)

Diplomacy - Send Diplomat to the Navasti League
    Military - Move 1st Ajivhan Cavalry towards the Navasti League's land on the coast

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

The sputtering remnants of the latest Vayri flashed in the distance as the ship was loaded. It was a good omen, coming at low-tide as it did - the journey back would be swift. Below, a guard of House Ethros soldiers and the local Krakari watched over the long strips of hardwood and cured meats. In return, boxes of salt and jugs of palm oil had already been unloaded and were being wrapped into strangely-shaped bags.

West of them, in Navahangist, a huddle of bright-robed Gangari scholars were bustling over a letter. The letter itself was soaked in salt water and what might have been coal dust, but the diagrams and writing were still legible.

Far to the north of them, an exploratory ship manned by a hand-picked captain sailed far off the coast of the Ghost Marshes. Aboard, a diplomat and a series of goodwill gifts waited for whomever they might find.

Show
    More research into the Steam Engine.
    Negotiate a Trade Agreement with the tribes to the West.
    Sail north, to attempt to reach the Harconin Protectorate and establish diplomatic relations.
    Last edited by pfm1995; 2016-12-20 at 02:19 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Turn 2: Actions
    Show

1. R&D (Mats ???): Research remains returned by pathfinders. We're attempting to determine how the suits of armor were controlled with ease and without killing the occupant. Our researchers suspect that the telepathic properties of our silver type brands could yield insight into this field as well.
    2. Action: Develop new technology [Food Chain Integration]- The protectorate will start cultivating and including crops infected with The Spore of Andha. These will be feed to our live stock, into our bread, and into pretty much our diet in general. By introducing the spores effect to our entire food chain we will be a very very healthy people and the medicinal effects of the fruit will be in effect and our food will be hyper effecent at providing nutrients. Hopefully this will immunize us to certain diseases. ( also hoping for a food production bonus)
    3. Action: Reinforce pathfinder forces near the ghost marshes, identify likely locations of libraries, raid area for 1)knowledge, 2) maps of locations of interest(temples, factories, bases,etc), 3) items of R&D interest
    4. Military Action: Conquer the people to the south of our settlements

Last edited by cybric; 2016-12-20 at 01:31 PM.

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Empire of the Basalt Throne
    April 1174 AD (Turn 2)

But I don't want to go first. The voice, floating over from the boat to the dock, was strangely accented, the consonants hard, the s bitten off.

Not from around here.

Then unload a few bags and we can see what happens to them.

The boat was now tied up, the gangplank in place.

I don't know what I'm expecting to happen. If we already knew that kind of thing, I wouldn't need to be here.

As the argument continues, the longshore crew gather, waiting to unload the boat.

Yes, I know you think it's safe, but I can't rely on... no I do trust you, but as a matter of policy.. Ok, tell you what, let's try this.

A sack of grain appears at the top of the gangplank, and tumbles down a few feet. After a moment, a bargepole appears, weilded inexpertly from cover, and gives the sack an uncerimonious shove. It rolls down the gangplank, before landing on the foreshore with a soft thud.

There is a brief silence.

So, maybe it is safe. But the natives of this place have gathered. Best stay behind me.

Then two figures descend. The first is a shortish, sandy-haired fellow, carrying what looks like several crossbows bolted together, stacked one upon another. He has thick googles strapped to his forehead, and thick leather overalls, boots, and gloves. The second is a taller lady, long straight hair hanging almost to her waist. She wears a simple corsetted dress, that flares out at the waist to a broad pleated skirt. Her hair, skin, eyes, clothes and open smile are all bone-white.

Greetings! We're heavily armed. He says, cheerfully.
    Ambassador from the Empire of the Basalt Throne, and bodyguard. We have treaty proposals for whomever makes that kind of decision around here?

Show
    I do have concrete proposals for the Dutchy, The Jojo. if you want to discuss? Either on the board or in PM?

Absorb locals and settle territory West from Territory 3
    Absorb locals and settle territory East from Territory 2 along the coast
    Negotiate with locals further east along the coast
    Negotiate with locals further south along the coast from Territory 3
    Last edited by Togo; 2016-12-20 at 05:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ducal Palace, Xule

In celebration of the impending departure of the Khalorean delegation, a great feast was put together in the grand hall. Lords and ladies jostled for space along the long tables piled up with fish and exotic fruits, many eyeing their arthropod guests with some trepidation. The Grand Duke Cosimo however was in a friendlier mood, happily chatting to the insect seated beside him.

"Is it true that you don't breathe through your mouth?" he asked through a mouthful of breaded cod, spitting out crumbs all over the table in front of him.

"We breathe through our mouth and nose, like you do; though it's only half of how we breathe. If someone strangled us, we would still keep breathing because we can breathe through our shells as well."

Galantri looked at the meal in front of him, and spied what looked like the back of a huge cockroach, garnished with some frilly leaves and hidden under some small round fruits that probably grew on a vine. He brushed the fruits out of the way, exposing the arthropod. Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed more than a few uncomfortable-looking servants who had set up the banquet and were awaiting empty plates to clear.

Galantri picked it up, pulled its plate off, and scooped out the meat with a nearby utensil, behaving as though there was nothing special about it at all. It could always be a trap to see how one would respond, so even what appears to be a peasant might be a royal assassin. Best to calm them, and not behave in any way that might be used as an excuse to cause alarm.

"Cool..." Cosimo exclaimed as he watched the insect eat with fascination. On the other side of their giant guest, the Lord Regent Grimani leaned in.

"Have you discussed the trade proposals I sent to your brethren yesterday?' he asked.

"Trade proposals? Were the letters sent to our city in Mereton? If so, your envoy must have taken a different route than we did to get here." Galantri poked at one of the round fruits with the utensil that looked like a miniature trident, but instead of the prongs piercing it, it made it bounce off the table and onto the floor. A second one was held in place and sliced in two; the halves were much easier to eat at that point.

"No, I passed a brief to your assistant yesterday," Grimani said a slight hint of annoyance. "The few mines remaining on this island are at the point of exhaustion, if you are willing to trade raw resources from Mereton then I'm sure we could offer much in return.'

"As of now, we have little in the means of resources. We do have some metals and worthwhile stone, uncommon amongst plain rock. We have been searching for a place to relocate, though diplomacy with those not descended from Mereton or Aurora has always been difficult for us. If your people could pave the way for our advancement to the mountains West of here, we could be close enough to make effective trades. As we burrow farther and deeper, we come across many things useful for construction and repairs, though we have little use of it ourselves. We would be happy to make such an exchange. What does your courteous host think of the trade of resource for service?"

"I should think that will suit both of us very well," Grimani agreed, inwardly sighing as a collection of frozen cream desserts were brought out before them. He caught the eye of Valencia, who was sitting opposite her brother, he gave her stern look to pre-empt any games she might be planning. She pouted, but to Grimani's relief, this time her dessert stayed firmly on its plate.

The doors to the dining hall opened, and another drider entered along with a couple dustmoths. There was a mostly unattended table on one of the sides of the hall, which was being used to store half-finished plates of the previous foods, in case it was called for again amidst the frozen cremes. Galantri noticed someone give a quick word to a cleaning person, who dashed off with a couple others to clear the table as fast as possible so the new entrants had a seat. They were shortly provided with the same things the diners already had.

Galantri stared at them, but then one of the dustmoths got up and went to him, and began to speak loudly. Very strange for a dustmoth. "It is by the order of Empress Dorian Cook that we have arrived." She probably should have been quieter or spoken in private about this, but there must be a reason. There was no Empress as far as Galantri knew. That title was reserved... "Empress Dorian Cook has given us many new orders, and one of them-"

Galantri didn't want to hear more until more pressing questions were answered. "The title of Empress is reserved for the Queen of Queens! Explain yourself now or I will send you back into the forgotten caves where you came from!"

Ayleesha wasn't afraid, but beaming. "The promise has been fulfilled. The impossible has been made possible. The sleeper has awakened! Empress Dorian Cook... is a Recombinant Empress!" Galantri fell backwards, all eight of his legs collapsing. If he was able to sit in a chair, he'd have knocked it over backwards.

Grimani was temporarily taken aback by this sudden change of circumstances, but he soon regain his senses and edged over to Cosimo, who he nudged forward gently.

"Eh..." the little duke looked to Grimani for direction, he bent down to whisper directions in the boy's ear. "Welcome to Xule, I am the Grand Duke Cosimo the Fourth. You are... eh... free to come and go as you like... and to trade with whoever you like," he recited slowly.

"And I am Lord Regent Grimani, guardian of this land," Grimani added quickly, so the delegation would know who to address when the business of actual importance arose.

Galantri took note, and Ayleesha looked a little shocked. She looked even moreso as Galantri climbed over the table, taking the longest and fastest steps the drider could, towards the moth. "Your majesty", he began while shifting his eyes between Cosimo and Lord Grimani, "Would you please excuse this interruption? I would like to present this information in the proper way." He grabbed a hold of the dustmoth's arm, readying acceptance to take her and run off into another nearby room.

"As you wish," Grimani said.

After awhile, Galantri came back into the dining hall, awaiting the Lord and his Regent to call upon him. Once he was summoned, he was able to speak. "The arrangement we made earlier still stands. However, now that we (he takes a deep breath) are stable, and your people showed us dignity since the beginning, we can make the deal that much more attractive. Would you agree to amend the concept from earlier that we might create a permanent settlement in the mountains? The entire Swarm will not move there, but we do still want to lay claim to it. There are even better offers we can make, but they are yet prepared and it would therefore be disgraceful to offer it at this time."

"We have few interests in the mountains," Grimani said, tilting his head to one side in consideration. "You may settle there, if you desire."

"We thank you for your assistance in preparing the local population for our arrival! Fare the well. One must not overstay one's welcome." The other insects had already gotten ready to depart, and with that, the final one bowed and walked backwards until he was at the correct distance to stand back up and walk properly as they left the city and began the trek back to Khalorean City.

Spoiler: Note
    Show
    If you hadn't guessed yet, this was a collab between me and Viirin.
    Last edited by The JoJo; 2016-12-20 at 06:18 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Daigoro's Heart

Life.

It had seemed hopeless for the infant, in the last few months. A sickly half-breed, too humanoid to survive the cold. The Aberrant within sensed weakness, tried to free itself from the failing flesh, to devour what fragment of warmth remained while the creature's heart still beat.

A common story. Every Fallen Materna had lived through it at least once. To make a child was relatively simple. To birth one, nigh on impossible.

This child, however, was different. The Aberrant struggled, but remained trapped, Bound by a will far greater than the nascent mind could have carried alone. The Aberrant raged, but could do nothing against the force of the Binding. It kept the creature's blood pumping through its veins, forced the frail body to remain in motion, warded off the frost's embrace.

With a predator's patience, it settled into the routine. The will could only maintain its grasp for so long. Sooner or later, its concentration would flag, its attention would falter, its distraction would make it prey to something greater. Sooner or later, it would be free, and the creature would die.

Hours turned into days, and days into weeks. The time of its release had not come. With every day, the will's grasp grew stronger, forcing the Aberrant deeper and deeper into the creature. Organs shifted in the Aberrant's presence, it's strength channeled to warp the body into a more suitable form.

Months passed. The creature grew. It's mind struggled against its unwanted companion. The Abberrant yearned to devour it, but was helpless against the will. The creature was fearful of the being lurking in it's flesh, but could do no more against the will than the Aberrant.

Time marched on. Without escape, reprise, or retaliation, the creature's fear turned to resentment. Resentment, to anger. Anger, to hate. Hate of the thing changing it's flesh, hate of the will forcing the two together, hate of the world.

Axia's experiment had been a success. The sickly infant survived. The Fallen rejoiced, revitalized at this victory against the Aberrant taint, this new method of control. More lands would be needed, more Aberrants bound, to house, feed, and serve the new children to come.

Some did not join in this merriment. Life was struggle. To fall into complacency would be to fall prey to something greater. The fall of Aurora showed that well enough. They wondered if a child that could not fend for itself in the womb could be trusted to fend for itself on the battlefield.

A quiet few wondered whether such a creature was truly its mother's child, or merely a tool shaped to another's will. The Shapers had served the Corpus Verde for centuries, and Arch-Shaper Axia's loyalty was beyond reproach (though her manners certainly were not). But would every Shaper remain so honorable? Could every Shaper, when given the power to change the minds and bodies of generations to come, be trusted in this charge? Could any creature born of Soulshaping be trusted in the first place?

And Lady Seia Cyrica listened to half warped rumors of the world beyond. Of the cults of The Destroyer spreading like locusts. Of blood-crazed beasts in the shape of women riding to war. Of silver automata wandering free of the hell of the Ajivhan Wastes. Of the Khaloric Breeds swarming across the lands once more.

The world had moved on from the Cataclysms of old. As the Fallen strengthened their hold on the North in preparation of the righteous wars to come, she wondered if there would be anything of the world left.

Show

Finish Researching a New Technology: Infans Potentia Development Rites (1 Material)

Invade Territory South of Daigoro's Hand (The West side of the entrance to the inlet that Corpus Verde is situated, using the Silver Claws, absorbing locals into the population)

Invade Territory South of Badger's Discipline (The East side of the entrance to the inlet that Corpus Verde is situated, using the House Guard (1st Army), absorbing locals into the population)

Begin Settling Territory invaded last turn (2 Materials, 1 Food)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Dead in the Water was not a pretty ship. Its front half seemed to want to belong to a vessel several times its already considerable size and the patchwork around it suggested it at one time somehow had. Its masts were too short and too wide and looked to have been replaced several times anyway. It was Ashur's personal vessel, and in many ways the cornerstone of the Silverplume navy. He loved her dearly. When he'd heard of experiments for a machine that could move a boat like a crew of oarsmen just by magically heating a chamber of water Ashur saw to it that the very first working model was put in his flagship and tested on an abomination hunt. With a metal sheet stuck in the hold to separate it from the black powder, because he wasn't an idiot.

With no standing army and a jagged terrain that favored the beasts much more than krakari artillery, The SC had long ago came to an accord that a bounty would be set on any abomination within a week of their waters, least any of the creatures get ideas. Nowaday the tradition had gotten so established that you could drag the carcass homeward, fly up and signal a specialized ship days out and have the thing appraised, notarized, and processed into parts before you could fly to port to ask for a docking time.

Had they been your typical animal Ashur thought the abominations would have been driven away a century ago. Scientists theorized that the magic must draw them because if anything they'd gotten bigger and more numerous since then. The fights the hunters won helped replace the boats from the ones they lost, but your bigger, older abomination was likely to taste krakari blood more than once before making an appearance at the auction house.

Ashur hadn't come out here to test a fancy stove because he had gotten restless with age. The rumors about that were wrong. But he admitted he was eager to get into a battle without having to worry about tearing the masts and oars apart.

Spoiler: actions
    Show

1,2 finish researching wild-magic steam engine
    3 fortify Stonetide
    4 raid? whichever water or coastal territory has had the most recent abomination sightings

22. - Top - End - #22

May 1174 AD (Turn 3)

The occasional flash in the night sky and the stirring of the mostly passive monsters in the deep were what marked the month of April as it came and went. Life went on.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

Show

The Ajivhan Khaganate
    - Absorb locals to the North of New Ajivha and begins settling territory (Gain 1 Population. Costs 2 Materials and 1 Food)
    - Absorb locals to the South East of New Ajivha (Gain 1 Population)
    - Absorb locals to the South West of New Ajivha (Gain 1 Population)
    - Send diplomat to the Navasti League

- First Ajivhan Cavalry moves towards the coast/Navasti territory

The Brujah
    - Train an Army (Costed 4 Materials)
    - Slaughter/Convert/Enslave West territory taken (Gain 1 Population)
    - Slaughter/Convert/Enslave South West territory taken (Gain 1 Population)
    - Slaughter/Convert/Enslave South territory taken (Gain 1 Population)

The Corpus Verde
    - Research Infans Potentia Rites (Costed 1 Material. 2/2 Actions. Will Cost 6 Materials to Implement)
    - Invade Territory South of Daigoro's Hand (1d20)[14] (1d20)[4] (success)
    - Invade Territory South of Badger's Discipline (1d20)[1] (1d20)[7] (invasion failed)
    - Subjugate aberrations and begin settling territory (Gain 1 Population. Costed 2 Materials and 1 Food.)

The Empire of the Basalt Throne
    - Absorb locals in West and begin settling territory (Gain 1 Population. Costed 2 materials and 1 food)
    - Absorb locals in East and begin settling territory (Gain 1 Population. Costed 2 materials and 1 food)
    - Negotiate with locals further east along coast (costed 1 material)
    - Negotiate with locals further south along coast (costed 1 material)

The Grand Duchy of Xule
    - Diplomatic
    - Search Xule for Artifacts (1d20)[16] Found a Crypt
    - Research Faster Ships (Costed 1 Material. Will take one more action. Will cost 2 Materials to implement)

The Harconin Protectorate
    - Studying Legion Remains (Costed 1 Material.) (results to come)
    - Research Food Chain Integration (Costed 1 Material. One more turn of research. Costs 6 to implement.)
    - Begin Searching Ghost Marshes (1d20)[4] (1d20)[4] (1d20)[14] (success) (results to come)
    - Invading territory to the South (working out where) (1d20)[1] (1d20)[6] (invasion failed)

The Khaloric Swarm
    - Attempt to relearn Recombinant Infestation
    - Attempt to relearn Recombinant Telepathy (will take one more turn)
    - Send diplomat to Xule
    - Move second army towards xule (halfway there)

The Navasti League
    - Research Faster Steam Engines (Costed 1 Material. 2/2 Actions. Costs 6 Materials to Implement)
    - Absorb locals to the East.
    - Sent Diplomat to the Harconin Protectorate

The Silverplume Confederacy
    - Research Wild-Magic Steam Engine (Costed 2 Materials. 3/3 Actions. Will Cost 9 Materials to Implement) (1d20)[17] (1d20)[10] Aside from a brief light show in a few workshops and a tree growing from the roof of a storehouse little of note occurred during the research beyond the research itself.
    - Fortify Stonetide (Costed 6 Materials)
    - Raid the Coast (1d20)[19] (1d20)[16] (success) (materials)

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2016-12-22 at 09:05 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Below the Temple of Khalorean, Khalorean City

There were many puddles of varying sizes of the strange liquid that everyone avoided out of fear, and avoiding them was no thoughtless task. However, since the temple city was being stabilized, rebuilt, and enhanced beyond what it ever was, it was necessary. Whatever the liquid was... no one knew, but something within them recognized what it was.

Queen Oswin, when she came up and looked around, thought it could be learned from but she was busy. The fear in the faces of the drider only encouraged her to do something about it. Maybe there were some kind of storage and cleaning materials that could be used to collect and contain it for use later. However, there wasn't anywhere to store it, and if such a task would begin, there was no reason not to go out of one's way to collect every tiny amount. So, the dustmoth arachnomorph recombinant began organizing whoever was available various tasks to clean up the remains of the city within the huge wall that surrounded the non-farmland.
    Who knows? Since the return of Galantri the drider aristocrat, there was that much more reason to search for something worthwhile to trade. Of course, any processed metal would first be used to create storage vats for the odd liquid, but a sizeable portion would be more than acceptable to trade, at least for now. The older drider said something about some sharp black stone, but there wasn't any around here as far as anyone knew, though there well should be!

Harold had made his way to Empress Cook awhile ago, and there were many things the once-royal councilors had input on as well. Strange sightings of odd creatures, monsters that thought they were people, magicians, machines made purely of metal and more complex than anyone had ever seen that were able to walk and talk and pretend to be alive. THINGS that didn't make sense and didn't seem to obey even the most basic of anatomy, glowing letters dancing in magic flying water that obeyed a dancing madman. Sicknesses that overtook small animals and turned them into giant glowing abominations that swirled with mist.

Empress Dorian Cook was more than excited. She was anticipating all of it to be true, and even more horrors were hoped to be something she could use. As both a genner and a recombinant, exactly this kind of find was the greatest thing that could ever be. Her people would become much more versatile and able to survive much, much more. From the history told to her, and the total lack of mental communication received from anyone, holding back due to taboo was not something the insects could survive again.

Show

(4/4)

1. Re-Research Recombinant Telepathy (2nd of 2 turns)
    2. Clear debris from Khalorean City (meant to be Materials+ / Population Max+)
    3. Clear debris from Khalorean City (assuming a 2 point action. Intact buildings left intact)
    4. Clear debris from Khalorean City (also counts as an Investigate Ruins action)

Free Action: Lectre's Corps continues marching along the path I specified.

(0/4)

Spoiler: Researched Techs
    Show

- Relearned Arachnomorph Infestation (chestburster larvae)
    - Rebuilt Siege Wall around Khalorean City (+1 defense)
    - Developed an Irrigation system in Lakereach (+1 food)
    - Trained an Army (Lectre's Corps)
    - Relearned Recombinant Infestation (holy virus that converts others into recombinants and also guarantees loyalty)
    Last edited by Viirin; 2016-12-26 at 04:08 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Khalorean City

Empress Cook had figured it was about time to get a bit better organization. The council members were of high value and information, but they would die eventually, and there wasn't a guarantee they would be kept from becoming psychotic revenants. Their corpses could always be used as incubators that rebuilt themselves over and over, so theoretically an infinite amount of children could be birthed from their reconstructing throats. But there were other things Dorian wanted to do instead.

The Empress sent out a missive, a statement meant to be heard by all within the borders. "If you have already died, and been forced to come back, if you feel your sanity beginning to slip away, come to the Temple and be reborn." Empress Dorian Cook was not in the main building, but Queen Oswin Cook was. Those who had given up and been forced to continue living over and over, sick, elderly, and injured, but forced to continue on, came. Not many at first; only a few. They were converted via recombinant infestation of the Holy Virus into becoming recombinants themselves. They were no longer considered dead; they were alive once more. Most of the damage to their psyche was fixed upon the completion of conversion, and the otherwise unhealable wounds were indeed fixed. Three of the volunteers were female and grandmothers. A naturally produced matriarch. As such, they were elevated in status and given new names and a blessing of Khalorean. Thus, Queen Ezri, Queen Nafash, and Queen Slivan.

The new queens were sent to act as intermediary governors- one for each city.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Ducal Palace, Xule

Valencia yawned as her tutor droned on, his monotonous voice melting into the seductive background sound of summer that drifted in through the open window beside her.

"...and thus, it is said that the weapon was sealed under the Palace of Nations, to only be retrieved if the existence of the Grand Duchy itself was under threat. To this day, it has lain undisturbed. That is it for chapter five of the history of Xule."

"It's almost noon, can I go now?"

"Fine," her tutor said with a sigh, placing his book down. "Try to do the reading I set you this time, though?"

Valencia dashed out to the palace gardens, where she found her brother sitting in the grass, pulling up blades with his bare hands and placing them in a pile beside him. Four bodyguards were placed discreetly in a rough square around the Grand Duke, but she paid them no heed, they might as well be just another set of garden ornaments.

"Hey Val," Cosimo said as he patted the grass pile into a square shape, placing twigs around each edge.

"What are you making?" Valencia asked.

"A funeral pyre. We never got a proper one for Mama and Papa, because you know... so I decided to make one myself. Want to help me burn it?"

"Okay." They carried the makeshift pyre to the side of a pond, where they placed it carefully down on the flagstones and then lit it with a flint and steel borrowed from one of the ever-present servants in the background. The grass blades didn't burn well, being fresh and newly cut, but after some gentle coaxing they produced a reluctant trail of smoke.

"Where do you think people go when they die?" Cosimo asked after a pause.

"My tutor says there's a great big ocean, where all the souls go to live with Roe and Maximus and all the other gods," Valencia said as she prodded their pyre with a stick. "Except the bad ones, they get thrown into a fire with the Cursed One and burn for thousands of years until they're all burnt up."

"Ouch. How bad do you have to be for that to happen?"

"Pretty bad. Like killing people and stuff. Mama and Papa would be fine."

That answer satisfied Cosimo and they continued to watch the small pyre for a while, until it was nothing more than ash.

"I... there's something..." Cosimo started to say, Valencia gave him a questioning look. "It's nothing, I was just thinking about something," he added hastily.

"Okay, we better go in, it'll be lunch soon," Valencia said, helping her brother to his feet. As they walked back through the garden, neither noticed that a handful of flowers had sprouted in the spot where Cosimo had been sitting.

Show
    -Prepare the mountains to the north of the Channel for Kharolean settlement.
    -Continue research into faster ships.
    -Research fiat money, for a wealth bonus.
    -Attempt to locate or recruit mages.

-Implement faster ships
    -Research whale-farming, for food
    -Conduct raid against pirates
    -Research/rediscover steam engines
    Last edited by The JoJo; 2017-01-02 at 12:08 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler: Actions only for now, post will be completed later tonight. It's been a rather hectic week
    Show

Subjugate Aberrations in territory South of Daigoro's Hand (Territory 5).

Invade territory South of Badger's Discipline (again)

Subjugate Aberrations in territory South of Badger's Discipline

Implement Infans Potentia Development Rites (Cost: 6 R&D/Materials)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rediscovering Silver Living Metal

Argentum City

In a dusty hall a scholar looks on with wide eyes as his queen reaches out a hand over a pile of wild silver metal. The metal could always be shaped but it revolted at the notion of staying in any intelgient or useful shape. It had always required tools shapers and clamps and other means to actually handle the material but his queen merely reached out her hand and the metal responded. It moved back and forth in a serpentine fashion as if it dared her to try and make it into something.

Spore Food Chaing integration

Negotiating with Locals

Founding the Crimson Celestials

The founding of the Night Lords

Spoiler: Actions for now. Really sorry I've had to do this two weeks in a row.
    Show

1. Implementation Action: Silver Living Metal Magic (12 Mats)

2. Implementation Action: Spore Food Chain (3 R&D mats)

3. Negotiate with locals to the North of settlement 1

4. Negotiate with locals on the island west of our settlement. The one in yellow.

Round 2
    1. Train Army (4 Mats) - Designate "Crimson Celestials"

2. Train Elite Unit (4 Mats) - Designate "Night Lords" detachment. Survivors of the failed invasion of the southern barbarians they learned much in the way of terror tactics and guerrilla warefare while fighting the barbarians. They specialize in sowing terror and confusion before landing the killing blow. All though their methods aren't entirely sanctioned by the council they are given leway since they were the only unit to produce results from the invasion. Their insignia is a crown and crescent moon

3. Settle Northern expansion

4. Settle Western Isle

Last edited by cybric; 2017-01-01 at 11:32 PM.

Current Games:
    Colony Upstarts IC | OOC

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Settlement 4, referred to as "Stone's Throw"

There were at least a few mines that had been cleared out, though it wasn't like Queen Lectre knew what the Xulians had done to ensure this. There were a few people still hanging around, but they didn't need to evacuate. They could live in peace and mutual benefit with the Swarm, but it didn't look like everyone had felt like it was a good idea.

"You know, many of us are really uncomfortable with you being here. We just realize we don't have a choice. We have stayed safe and hidden for centuries, but now all of a sudden and for no reason, you're here and declaring this to be yours, and not even bothering to use your own hands?" One of the ray-das said to the Queen once she was allowed.
    "You never had to leave. No one did. Yes, we are declaring this as our own. There is no reason you can't stay and simply accept our aid and protection. The world is still dangerous, and very much so; just on the tides of prosperity and extermination, the tides are at the moment low."
    "Speaking of extermination... if you want to show us that you're not exactly the same as the other monsters all over the place and showing up randomly, then why don't you exterminate ghouls and aberrations? Why don't you take requests? Why don't you take away the bodies of the fallen horrors and get rid of them forever?"
    "Why not indeed? We can do this."
    "We have little coins to give you after all this time."
    "Unimportant. We would not accept such things, as it is of no use to us."
    "What could you possibly ask in return then? We won't give ourselves to you as payment!"
    "We won't ask that. Whatever it is that the quest-giver might be able and choose to offer would be accepted. As long as it might be of use to us, we would find a way to find value in it."
    The ray-das girl was quiet, and looked like she was in deep thought.
    The recombinant spoke instead. "We shall call this an Exterminator's Guildhouse, and implement them throughout the entire Khaloric Swarm. We will construct them in easily accessible parts of each city, so the locals or anyone else might easily locate them." Queen Lectre Cook let the other queens and the Empress know about this and the building design was worked on with some of the brave and vocal new population.

Show

Actions 4/4

1. Found settlement where previously indicated. It is called Stone's Throw.
    2. Found Exterminator's Guild. Now a default addition to every settlement. (Bonuses aimed for, in order of amount: relations+ materials+ population+)
    3. The Empress and Queens try to redevelop the Recombinant Hivemind.
    4. Send diplomat to The Empire of the Basalt Throne. I know they exist 'cuz they were at Xule when I was.

Actions 0/4

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

"..already started digging the foundations for the main basin and the towers. As long as we don't get a storm in the next few weeks we should be fine."

Knarl sits back, and looks around the circle.

The hulking hunched figure of Mirriam Vale stirs. "Port is now opervating. Ve buy things, ve sell things, it helps. Should do more. Trade more, vith more people. Get more people here."

Knarl stares skywards. "Do we know how to do that?"

Mirriam shakes her head. "Ve're getting some newcomers, mostly human, but not as many as we need. It's a more general problem, ve need more people than ve're getting. Not just trade, but everything. Any vord from that agent the Cradle sent out?"

Al'Karim clears his throat. "The Aspect? No, we don't expect anything for a while. I don't need to remind you all what I thought of the risks of sending it out?"

Knarl's gaze snaps back down. "No, you don't. It wanted to go."

"The amount of damage that creature could do if..."

"-so could I." says Mirriam, with deceptive mildness.

"I'm fairly sure I could do at least a reasonable amount of damage." says Knarl. "But that isn't the point. The point is that they wanted to go. They can go."

"That isn't your call, Knarl. The Imperial-"

"-This isn't a question about faction.-"

"-A basic responsibiltiy of every-"

The voices grew louder.

"It's MY call."

Silence. A few of them stare at the girl in black with the purple hair.

Knarl speaks "Well, I'm not sure that this is..."

"No, no, this one, Nuele, is it? She has a point, no?" says Mirriam. Straightening up, her shadow spreads across group. "Ve hear her out, ya?"

"The Dark is in charge of enforcement." Nuele says, sitting straighter in her chair and tugging at her buttoned uniform. "And this is an enforcement matter. Either there's a rule they can't go because of who they are, in which case The Dark need to apply that to everyone who might be a danger, which would be a fair percentage of the population. Not to mention the people around this table. Or you're saying some of the basic principles of our Nation don't apply to The Cradle?"

There are a few sharp intakes of breath around the table.

Ak'Narim sighs. "We're talking about taking an ancient, pre-fall, preternatural abomination of unknown power. And you propose to just let it wander around?"

Nuele nods. "That's my understanding."

There's a murmur of agreement from the others.

"Aye." says Knarl, his voice carrying. "Or else what does the Basalt Throne stand for?"

"Besides", says Mirriam in what for her counts as a cheerful voice. "We sent it to another country, didn't we? So if it go snap and start slaughtering the local populace, at least it won't be doing it around here."

Show
    1) Settle area 6, absorbing population where possible
    2) Settle area 7, absorbing population where possible
    3) Negotiate with local tribes, east of territory 6
    4) Start construction of a naval repair and construction facility, in area 2.
    Last edited by Togo; 2016-12-28 at 05:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

North Onchesmos

Sinan watched with frustration as his men drilled their squires with muskets. Clouds of smoke filled the grounds as line after line fired, reloaded, and fired again. Most of them couldn't see through it. This was a problem. A problem they were used to, but not one that he wanted on the battlefield. Their powder was simple, crude, and in his mind inefficient. It needed to be refined. How?

He brought the few sages and shamans of his that worked powders to his small camp amongst the camps and walls of North Onchesmos, and put them to work beside himself. He couldn't remember how it had been done, cords of some such, but he would see it done again.

The North

The journey North was long as Atik and his guard followed the path long held by the horsemen between the North and the South, and the cursed lands of the desert and the marsh. Days turned to weeks as they followed sightings of parties and then signs of battle. Apparently organized, and coming from the North. Heading far into the marshes, and according to some trying to loot.

The trail was long and he saw two possibilities. The people of the Basalt were trying to learn their secrets, or they had missed something in the North. Atik considered the possibility as he divided his guards into three groups, one to report the fighting and bring enough soldiers to follow in their footsteps and reinforce them, one to make its way into the land of the Basalt Throne and determine their work, and the third to follow him to the north and attempt to discover if the path North was the home of the raiders.

The East

Mimar's journey to the east and Mereton was uneventful. Uneventful until he reached the land around the walls that long separated the kingdom and the khans. Camps had began forming within the past month or two along the wall, apparently on both sides. Meretonians abandoning their posts, or fleeing to it, some crossing into the forests beyond with their families trying to flee towards the coast or join with the clans. Those still on the wall, trying to buy guns, powder, rockets... Anything they could get their hands on to slow whatever it was they thought was coming.

Why were they afraid? Mimar and his men worked their way to the outer gate, and bought the small guard contingent watching it off with the promise of a chest of guns. They spoke of what they had heard from the North. An army of monsters had sprung up almost overnight in the North, forcing part of the wall to be abandoned. The King was rallying and levying any who'd come to hold the land between the things and the land that hadn't been abandoned.

He passed the wall and continued North.

The West

Rashid watched the small camps on the coast, a few Janissaries to his side, and horsemen rallying a few kilometers behind him. More force than was needed, far more than he knew the khan had at his side, and more than he assumed the Navasti would bother sending.

After a few hours of watching from the shadows he eventually approached the camp, musket in hand, and shouted with an almost wet voice` to the men on watch "I come on behalf of the Khagan."

Show

Diplomacy - Send Diplomat to the Harconin Protectorate
    Diplomacy - Send Diplomat to the Empire of the Basalt Throne
    Research - Research Fedayeen
    Research - Smokeless Powder

Research - Research Fedayeen
    Research - Research Smokeless Powder
    Settling - Negotiate with locals (south of 5)
    Settling - Negotiate with locals (south of 6)
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2016-12-30 at 03:48 PM.