New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Forum rules question (can I run a James Bond roleplaying game?)

Dear moderators,

I am considering running a roleplay set in the James Bond universe (gaming system to be determined by polling the interested players). However, before I start, I'd like to clear a couple of concerns that I have regarding the rules of the forum. Most notably, because the James Bond franchise takes place in a world resembling our own with real-world nations and some semblance of real-world politics, the question comes up as to what my game can do and what it cannot do within the context of the forum. To this end, I hope to get the moderators' answers to the following questions before I begin the game and potentially commit infractions.

1. My intention regarding politics is to make a statement along the lines of the following: "in this game, the British Commonwealth and the United States will represent the good guys. Individual citizens of these nations may be evil, but the nations themselves, their governments, and their respective intelligence agencies will represent the forces of justice, nature, and liberty. Whether or not any of us believe this is true in reality as well as this game shall not be discussed here." I would also want to make it clear that any present-day political figures of any real-world nation specifically mentioned in the game be entirely fictional. Does this satisfy any concerns of bringing up any political discussions?

2. The James Bond series is also known for its sexuality. I am assuming that this forum's limits on it are restricted to what would be PG or PG-13 (i.e. saying that "James and Tracy made love" is fine, but going into the mechanics of it is not). Am I correct?

Thank you for your time and explanation.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Forum rules question (can I run a James Bond roleplaying game?)

Steer very clear of politics. This is a tightly-run ship when it comes to that sort of thing, so I'd make an entirely fictional world if you want to include politics in any respect.

As for two, this is a PG-13 forum. So yeah, saying Philbert and Richard made love is perfectly fine.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

These questions have been answered before by Roland St. Jude, and so I will provide links to where they were answered.

Regarding roleplaying real-world politics in worlds based on the real world: This post answers it.
    Notably:
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Now to the real crux of your hair-splitting question - fictionalized real world religion and politics. I'm not sure how this could be discussed in any meaningful way without reference to their real world analogs. Without seeing a specific application, it's hard to judge, but I believe this would usually violate the rules. So in a PbP game, where it is clearly all fictional, I don't think it presents a problem, as long as you keep it fictional and don't get into discussions of real world doctrine, etc. But in any of the discussion forums, I think it would be a problem almost every single time.
    (emphasis mine) So, according to this, you can have a "fictionalized real world political group": so long as nobody discusses it or the ramifications of such-and-such policy, and everybody recognizes that this England and USA are "Some nations called England and USA in a fictional world inspired by the similarly-named nations in the James Bond setting, as imagined by PetrifiedWalnut." And ensure everybody understands that there will be no discussion about the politics.

Regarding the sexuality, one of the clearest answers was given in this post.
    Here is it for your convenience:
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff: Fade to black is preferable to being explicit about it, yes. As noted above, fade very early, and avoid having to do it to often. Roleplaying that is all about sex is probably best done elsewhere. As always, err on the side of caution.
    In other words: fade to black is the correct choice. The fade to black should also occur without all the other details telling whose hand is where or what foreplay is happening or any of the explicit details. Essentially, it would be along the lines of "James Bond flirts with the woman, then fade to black." Next post: "James Bond checks to make sure he still has his handgun hidden in his snazzy suit's inside pocket, then leaves out the door, breaking yet another heart."

And again, the general rule to remember for both these things is: always err on the side of caution.
    Last edited by 5a Violista; 2016-12-08 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Fixing how I worded some things
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff: Well explained by ^.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex