New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread IV: Time to Create a New Title

So, uh, just wait for the Aztec to deplete their ginormous event troops?

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Colossus in the Playground

Basically. Sunset Invasion is a DLC I activated once and then never again.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Firbolg in the Playground

Luckily now you can activate the DLC for the portraits (used in some mods) and just keep the "Aztec Invasion" game rule off for your other games
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

4. - Top - End - #1024

Unusual question: I don't suppose anyone knows if it's possible to end up in two wars against the same enemy via succession?
    See, I'm about to declare a holy war against Francia. My son and heir is also at war with them, and my current character is pneumonic. So if I were to die of pneumonia soon I would become him in the middle of his war and he would presumably also inherit my war. But usually you can't be at war with the same enemy more than once at a time so I'm wondering if something weird would happen.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #1025

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Unusual question: I don't suppose anyone knows if it's possible to end up in two wars against the same enemy via succession?
    See, I'm about to declare a holy war against Francia. My son and heir is also at war with them, and my current character is pneumonic. So if I were to die of pneumonia soon I would become him in the middle of his war and he would presumably also inherit my war. But usually you can't be at war with the same enemy more than once at a time so I'm wondering if something weird would happen.
    I think I have seen this sort of thing. I think both wars end up with the same war-score and get ended simultaneously (though you might get to pick which victory you get)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Luckily now you can activate the DLC for the portraits (used in some mods) and just keep the "Aztec Invasion" game rule off for your other games
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Basically. Sunset Invasion is a DLC I activated once and then never again.
    You silly people who don't use the Sunset Invasion. Why do you hate Fun so much?

I know, I know. I'm one of like...Five people in the whole world who likes the Sunset Invasion. It's silly. It's Ahistorical. It turns western europe into a bordergore fest, it's not fair. I get it.

I would be inclined to believe that one of (Or both of) the wars will be invalidated and rendered "Inconclusive"
    Last edited by Leecros; 2018-04-19 at 11:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

At least the Aztecs show up in provinces with high supply limits mutter mumble stupid Mongols and their attrition-free doomstacks in the Russian mountains. I just waited for them to start carpet-sieging with 10K stacks, then sent in all my troops in one 80K stack and beat each of them with it before the others could reinforce.

8. - Top - End - #1028

Actually, the Mongols just mostly fell apart in my game, though they lived through three generations of great Khans. Now it's the Khanate of Lithuania and Finland, the Khanate of Rajput, the Khanate of Persia and the Khanate of Turkestan.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #1029

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I think I have seen this sort of thing. I think both wars end up with the same war-score and get ended simultaneously (though you might get to pick which victory you get)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    I would be inclined to believe that one of (Or both of) the wars will be invalidated and rendered "Inconclusive"
    Well, I recovered from the pneumonia so I didn't get to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    At least the Aztecs show up in provinces with high supply limits mutter mumble stupid Mongols and their attrition-free doomstacks in the Russian mountains. I just waited for them to start carpet-sieging with 10K stacks, then sent in all my troops in one 80K stack and beat each of them with it before the others could reinforce.
    Supply limits are the bane of my life at this point. I've been very grateful for the Germanic ability to sail along rivers allowing me to drop a large army directly onto the couple of adventurer hosts which decided to come at me in Russia, and I'm kind of dreading the point when I start trying to take Perm from the Mongols. One of those counties somehow has a current supply limit of 100. In 1251. Ridiculous.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

10. - Top - End - #1030

Supply limits are the bane of my life at this point. I've been very grateful for the Germanic ability to sail along rivers allowing me to drop a large army directly onto the couple of adventurer hosts which decided to come at me in Russia, and I'm kind of dreading the point when I start trying to take Perm from the Mongols. One of those counties somehow has a current supply limit of 100. In 1251. Ridiculous.
    Disease, winter, and a couple "bankrupt ruler" modifiers reduce supply limits. If the base supply limit goes below 100, it bottoms out at 100. The key to winning those wars is either getting lots of "winter soldier" commanders, only campaigning in the summer, or just eating the attrition.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Titan in the Playground

Disease, winter, and a couple "bankrupt ruler" modifiers reduce supply limits. If the base supply limit goes below 100, it bottoms out at 100. The key to winning those wars is either getting lots of "winter soldier" commanders, only campaigning in the summer, or just eating the attrition.
    The 'defensive pagans' modifier might also be in play, although that late in the game you probably have enough technology to ignore it. IIRC, blitzing down the first holding and possibly building a fort helps with that a lot - you have much higher supply limits once you occupy a holding in the province, either by sieging it down and planting your flag in it or by putting it there yourself.

12. - Top - End - #1032

I should clarify that when I say "bane of my life" and "dreading" it's relative. They're more frustrations than actual problems, because at this point nothing is really a credible threat to me and I'm just continuing to get the achievement for playing all the way from 867 to 1453 and to see if I can conquer the entire world.

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    The 'defensive pagans' modifier might also be in play, although that late in the game you probably have enough technology to ignore it. IIRC, blitzing down the first holding and possibly building a fort helps with that a lot - you have much higher supply limits once you occupy a holding in the province, either by sieging it down and planting your flag in it or by putting it there yourself.
    Yeah, I know. Highway robber band and severe winter I think. I was still surprised it was all the way down at 100. And yeah the defensive pagan thing is not a concern - I think I remember reading on the wiki that reformed pagans are immune to it (except for the unreformed version of their own religion) and in any case I have Military Organisation at 6.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #1033

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    If the supply is at 100, holding a holding isn't going to help. Holdings only mess with the multiplier on the supply limit, they don't interact with the base numbers. Both Severe Winter and Highway Robbers lower the base number. And forts don't have any effect on supply (which I kept forgetting when I was trying to conquer Tibet).
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh, how did I end up with a claim on England? Oh, Harald Hardrade was my great grandfather. Well, retaking it in his name is irresistible, so onward for Auntie!

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    Huh, how did I end up with a claim on England? Oh, Harald Hardrade was my great grandfather. Well, retaking it in his name is irresistible, so onward for Auntie!
    Oi, Harald's descendants attempting to retake England was amusing, but the Queen of England off leading troops in Norway against the English Revolt there makes my head swim.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Ogre in the Playground

New Player Weird Firsts Part N:

So my wife inherited a foreign (outside my kingdom) county all for herself, and while I was stomping on my own vassals for plotting to kill me she got herself into being the head of a revolt to give her a foreign duchy without telling me that I noticed. I did marry her for the chance to inherit huuge tracts of land, so I guess I can try to get them now instead of later.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Whoa, whoa, whoa. My cousins are going to let their kingdom pass out of the dynasty and be inherited by the heir to England as well? This cannot be allowed. Right?
    Last edited by BannedInSchool; 2018-04-24 at 07:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

Whoa, whoa, whoa. My cousins are going to let their kingdom pass out of the dynasty and be inherited by the heir to England as well? This cannot be allowed. Right?
    This sounds like the perfect time to refer to my handy flow chart*:

Spoiler: Pic
    Show

*Assuming photobucket doesn't pull some BS about showing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

19. - Top - End - #1039

Artanis> Photobucket will doubtless try to pull something. Just be prepared to move to a different photo sharing site.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

20. - Top - End - #1040

Artanis> Photobucket will doubtless try to pull something. Just be prepared to move to a different photo sharing site.
    At this point, unlimited FTP hosting is free. Nobody should be without.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    This sounds like the perfect time to refer to my handy flow chart*:
    I think it would take a *whole* lot of murdering to get murdering to work here. Alvar I had one son, Alvar the Fat, and three daughters. Alvar the Fat has had no children at all, while his three sisters have had fifteen, many of whom have children of their own (including the Queen of England), all in a dynasty other than mine.

Hmm, I guess I could kill the childless king's wife who's past childbearing now and he might hook-up with a lustful wench. Maybe murder can solve everything.

Well, I have to knock a Duke down a couple pegs before I can slot cousin-in-law murder...

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, I guess I could kill the childless king's wife who's past childbearing now and he might hook-up with a lustful wench. Maybe murder can solve everything.
    Oh, and he's totally into helping kill his menopausal wife too. Farewell, Ausonia.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

Is it just me, or is the most powerful part of being a Satanist Spymaster the ability to abduct people, and Demonify them? Abduct somebodies heir. Demonify them. Ransom them back to pappy. Then assassinate Pappy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

24. - Top - End - #1044

Quote Originally Posted by druid91 View Post
    Is it just me, or is the most powerful part of being a Satanist Spymaster the ability to abduct people, and Demonify them? Abduct somebodies heir. Demonify them. Ransom them back to pappy. Then assassinate Pappy.
    Then once you are the grand-supreme poobah, you can ask all of them to swear fealty to you and it works!
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

New Player Firsts:

Now I are Emperor. Look upon my mismanagement of holdings, titles, and vassals getting to this point and despair! Onward to imperially (not just royally) screwing up expanding the Empire.

26. - Top - End - #1046

I'm not sure which is weirder, but in my game there is a Basque Aquitaine and the Byzantine Empire got split along the weirdest lines with the Carpathian Empire. I'm just piddling around in the British Isles trying to form Prydain.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I've been playing in India for the first time and came across a semi-amusing bug. As part of the Diwali event chain, you can choose to buy your spouse a gift for a modest opinion boost. I always go for the most expensive one because I like it when my wife doesn't murder me in my sleep. I'm romantic like that. Anyway, another part of the Diwali event chain is that sometimes a snake-charmer comes to entertain the party. On rare occasions, the snake will get loose and fatally bite a random guest, who in this instance was my wife.

The weird part is what happened when it came time to give my late wife the bracelet I'd bought her:
    Spoiler: Screenshot
    Show

Not only did my gift mysteriously vanish, but suddenly I have an imaginary gay lover.

Unrelatedly, do Hindus seem massively OP to anyone else? I can raid and subjugate without any of the normal unreformed religion disadvantages that normally come with those powers. Within one lifetime I went from a two-county duke to owning half the Empire of Bengal, and my OC's grandson is poised to take the other half as soon as he handles the normal inheritance rigmarole (my second character died of depression shortly after coming to the throne).

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Ogre in the Playground

New Player Firsts:

Now I are Emperor. Look upon my mismanagement of holdings, titles, and vassals getting to this point and despair! Onward to imperially (not just royally) screwing up expanding the Empire.
    And I died. The division of the empire among me and my brothers is really confusing for this new player. So much isn't what it would be de jure.

My one brother has a kingdom of one county and a duchy with no counties in it. He's pissed at me because his one county isn't in his de jure kingdom (I think), and so wants both the duchy his county is in, and the duchy in his de jure kingdom, both of which are under me. But he has a one-castle army, so I'm thinking I can just ignore him. I'm annoyed he got my old capital county, but it doesn't seem worth the bother to try to take it from him.

My other brother has five whole counties under him: one of his own, one as a vassal, and three not in the de jure kingdom split between two duchies both held by the same duke. He's annoyed that he doesn't have the other de jure duchy for his kingdom. But again he has a 2.2k army so maybe just ignore him. His two-duchy duke, however, is also really pissed at me because he doesn't have all the counties in his duchies, has a 3.8k army, and likes my brother his king.

The dukes under me are more worryingly powerful, up to a 7.5k army and eight counties, but they all have positive opinions of me.

Seems like I should be doing something to sort this out, but I'm not sure what will make it better or worse.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

And I died. The division of the empire among me and my brothers is really confusing for this new player. So much isn't what it would be de jure.

My one brother has a kingdom of one county and a duchy with no counties in it. He's pissed at me because his one county isn't in his de jure kingdom (I think), and so wants both the duchy his county is in, and the duchy in his de jure kingdom, both of which are under me. But he has a one-castle army, so I'm thinking I can just ignore him. I'm annoyed he got my old capital county, but it doesn't seem worth the bother to try to take it from him.

My other brother has five whole counties under him: one of his own, one as a vassal, and three not in the de jure kingdom split between two duchies both held by the same duke. He's annoyed that he doesn't have the other de jure duchy for his kingdom. But again he has a 2.2k army so maybe just ignore him. His two-duchy duke, however, is also really pissed at me because he doesn't have all the counties in his duchies, has a 3.8k army, and likes my brother his king.

The dukes under me are more worryingly powerful, up to a 7.5k army and eight counties, but they all have positive opinions of me.

Seems like I should be doing something to sort this out, but I'm not sure what will make it better or worse.
    Murder is the obvious solution. With sufficient murder all titles will fall to you.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

(To vassals:) Guys, guys, guys. I'd be happy to change the succession law, but I've been Emperor for like six months.