New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1492
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread IV: Time to Create a New Title

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Also important to bear in mind when trying to drift duchies: you can't transfer vassalage of a Duke to anyone other than his de jure liege King if said Kingdom exists (if it doesn't exist you can send him wherever you like).
    I don't think that's true? It's certainly not on the wiki.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    It definitely is true, as it's a problem I've been dealing with for the past couple of centuries in my game. The wiki doesn't know everything.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    It definitely is true, as it's a problem I've been dealing with for the past couple of centuries in my game. The wiki doesn't know everything.
    Wait, I was misinterpreting what you said. Sorry.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

New Dev Diary is out. No mention of the name/theme of the new DLC (but they said they will announce that at PDXCon).

What they did announce was part of what is in the free patch - and what it is is a massive overhaul of the way the Crusades work.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ls-it.1097740/

Now there is a reason to take part even if you don't have a chance to win - before the Crusade kicks off, where there is a preparation stage made where donations are made to a war chest. 20% of it is split up among the participants at the start of the war to help them pay for their levies, fleets etc.. When the Crusade ends, if it is successful, the rest of it split up among the participants, and included not just gold but piety, prestige and artefacts.

A successful crusade sees a Crusader Kingdom set up, which is an independent kingdom unless you win and go against the Pope's wishes. And that is seen as impious and disqualifies you from your war chest. Otherwise the titles in the new kingdom are spilt up among the participants of the crusade, depending on contribution.

Oh, and there was a brief mention that also piety will be very important in the Catholic sphere in the future as well, but more on that in a future DD.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Dang. I haven't even managed that on my first game Byantium => Rome, on Easy and very emphatically not ironman; got about the same sort of time left, but there's still so much to conquer. (Though I've been playing on and off since before Reaper's Due came out, so things have changed several times!) You manage it all in one go (i.e. patch version)?
    Germanic Pagans are far more OP than Byzantium. No rival regional power to stop your ridiculous retinues and prevent the rise of Scandinavia, a great source of cash in the form of looting on coasts and rivers, and easy built-in ways to expand (pagan subjugation, self-declared Great Holy Wars once you've reformed Germanic Paganism, the ability to kidnap princesses, take them as concubines and then press the claims of your children) make Scandinavia CKII's big blue blob.

By comparison, Byzantium is in a fairly weak position. The Muslims to the East are going to blob and Jihad you, and then all the hordes that replace them will also give it a go. To the north, the Magyars under Arpad are very strong. You cannot excommunicate or call invasions on rival powers because you have a different religious head, even if they are Orthodox, because of autocephalous patriarchs.

If not for all the land that Byzantium starts with, they would get wrecked right off the bat.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2018-05-14 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #1146

It perfectly explains my Venice-into-space run. What is really annoying is when you are big enough to need every bit of vassal limit you can eke out, but you have 5 vassal dukes in France and no good way to steal France from the French king.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    New Dev Diary is out. No mention of the name/theme of the new DLC (but they said they will announce that at PDXCon).

What they did announce was part of what is in the free patch - and what it is is a massive overhaul of the way the Crusades work.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...ls-it.1097740/

Now there is a reason to take part even if you don't have a chance to win - before the Crusade kicks off, where there is a preparation stage made where donations are made to a war chest. 20% of it is split up among the participants at the start of the war to help them pay for their levies, fleets etc.. When the Crusade ends, if it is successful, the rest of it split up among the participants, and included not just gold but piety, prestige and artefacts.

A successful crusade sees a Crusader Kingdom set up, which is an independent kingdom unless you win and go against the Pope's wishes. And that is seen as impious and disqualifies you from your war chest. Otherwise the titles in the new kingdom are spilt up among the participants of the crusade, depending on contribution.

Oh, and there was a brief mention that also piety will be very important in the Catholic sphere in the future as well, but more on that in a future DD.
    Also, independent crusader states can get set up if a duchy gets completely occupied. They mentioned "special crusades" as being paid content in the next patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #1147

DruidGuy

Another thing that they mentioned was that, if you were especially pious, you could persuade his popiness that, yes, India might be nice this time of year, but there are much nearer and more relevant targets for a Crusade, like that big green blob right next door to you. And he may even change the target if you are persuasive enough.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Ogre in the Playground

OMG, make more little von Oldenburgers, people!

So if I have a non-dynastic heir that's crept up to third in line in succession of my primary, which seems dangerous to me, are there good non-grandson-killing options?

And someone just murdered the Holy Roman Emperor and I was elected before I even got to a second duchy. Was not expecting that. Wow, just some duke's chancellor's wife who was his rival. Well, not having any idea what to do with my unexpected not-Holy not-Roman not-Empire seems like a good reason to call it a night.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    OMG, make more little von Oldenburgers, people!

So if I have a non-dynastic heir that's crept up to third in line in succession of my primary, which seems dangerous to me, are there good non-grandson-killing options?

And someone just murdered the Holy Roman Emperor and I was elected before I even got to a second duchy. Was not expecting that. Wow, just some duke's chancellor's wife who was his rival. Well, not having any idea what to do with my unexpected not-Holy not-Roman not-Empire seems like a good reason to call it a night.
    I think you can send him off to be a bishop, but I've never had that work for me.

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Ogre in the Playground

I think you can send him off to be a bishop, but I've never had that work for me.
    He's in another court, so I can't do that. Durn it, I think I even stopped a plot against him before because I was like, "Sister, why you want to kill my 1yo grandson?". Well, his court's spymaster could be bribed the last I checked, and it's not really my problem any more since my nominated replacement for the HRE has some good traits and a 22 Diplomacy, so everyone really loves him.

11. - Top - End - #1151

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Germanic Pagans are far more OP than Byzantium. No rival regional power to stop your ridiculous retinues and prevent the rise of Scandinavia, a great source of cash in the form of looting on coasts and rivers, and easy built-in ways to expand (pagan subjugation, self-declared Great Holy Wars once you've reformed Germanic Paganism, the ability to kidnap princesses, take them as concubines and then press the claims of your children) make Scandinavia CKII's big blue blob.
    You missed out the coastal county conquest, that was pretty helpful. And prepared invasions, though they sit alongside subjugation and claim-pressing as things which would have been useful if I had done them. Honestly though while all those help a lot I feel like the biggest benefit is just general to any reformed pagan and some other uncommon religions, that being access to the Holy War CB against the entire rest of the world. Acquiring the military might to potentially go for a world conquest is meaningless if you can't actually declare the wars to do it in a timely fashion.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

12. - Top - End - #1152

PirateCaptain

So, um this is apparently a thing now.

13. - Top - End - #1153

So, they revealed the next expansion: Holy Fury
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #1154

Takeaways:

The Board Game looks like an awful lot of fun. And tbh it's at a respectable price on the kickstarter!

Holy Fury: we've already seen the new and much-needed Crusade mechanics, which I'm very excited for.

The other mechanics? Most are things added in various mods (shattered world, random world, bloodlines, saints, coronations, baptism, etc), but other stuff is new and cool. New diplomatic options? Pagan warrior lodges? New pagan succession? List of Kills? Very exciting stuff.

Edit: looking at screenshots.

You can now customize pagan religions when you reform them! This is HUUUUGE!

Also the "random world" isn't new landmasses, but just a randomized history and randomized titles and characters.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2018-05-19 at 08:44 AM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

15. - Top - End - #1155

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    looking at screenshots.
    It also looks like the new Crusade mechanics may allow us to replicate the Fourth Crusade...
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ogre in the Playground

The Board Game looks like an awful lot of fun. And tbh it's at a respectable price on the kickstarter!
    £50 is a lot for a board game, but it does look good.

17. - Top - End - #1157

That's in line for other "major" board games though, isn't it? I know the price in Canadian is reasonable for similar complex games, especially ones with custom models like this one.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Ogre in the Playground

50% off sale on Steam for CK2 DLC this weekend too, presumably going along with the announcement of the new DLC to come.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

That's in line for other "major" board games though, isn't it? I know the price in Canadian is reasonable for similar complex games, especially ones with custom models like this one.
    I tend not to buy the massive boxed sets, so maybe. That said, I do recall paying £40 for a game or two in my time.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Would love to have customization, like affect which religions/heresies spread where and how, how different cultures/races spread so you could tweak how much the Romans traveled and what intermixing the Anglo-Saxons had with the Celts, you know organize the migrations that occurred. Think that would make for a great way to play.

I love the bloodline bit, since the screenshot seems to show that you will get benefits from the bloodlines you have. That means it is worth snagging the best ones to add to you collection, for the greatest benefits.

Also picked up the remaining DLC, so now have Monks, Conclave, Jade Dragon.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

21. - Top - End - #1161

DruidGuy

Sounds like a rather large and impressive DLC this one. Given it might be the last one for DLC (or close to it), they are certainly going all out on it.

Setting up your own legendary bloodline sounds like a lot of fun, and reforming faiths as well.

As to the board game, they are also going to have EU, HOI and Stellaris ones. And after just 1 day they are already at 200% funded....

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Pixie in the Playground

amazing post, Wonderful sharing

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

And now they've raised almost 3.5 x their initial goal and are about to meet their seventh stretch goal.

24. - Top - End - #1164

DruidGuy

So the stretch goals only apply to the royal edition of the game. Much as I may want it, there is no way I can stretch the budget for it. The royal edition + P&H would set me back around 160 AUD.

But back to CK2.

There was a stream of it at the PDXCOn and people were able to compile a few things noted;

Full UI redesign of the character page. More space for traits and modifiers, new traits (non-inheritable ugly/pretty trait confirmed), some icons redesigned (combat modifier), pope has options below him in religion tab

Can rename people, artifacts (in your court/possession)

Full childrens crusade event, all the way to actually laying siege to jerusalem (if enough rulers support+you can choose to support or send away). Will only happen once if it happens at all. Even if it does happen successfully, the troops will be light infantry so if you're playing as a muslim it should be easy to beat back with a proper army+mercs

Graphic pack for eastern slavic/baltic regions

Border texture is different now?

Pope is more important now - not sure exactly how they've changed him but in the stream they were interacting a lot more with him and he was actually helpful

Sway/antagonise has different outcomes for you depending on your traits - unsure if they actually affect sway/antagonise but they probably should.

Movement lock à la EU4

If you win a duel then you get a modifier showing you won a duel and it gives a small bonus (don't remember what it was or if every win increases it)

Dynamic wound and scarring textures on portraits. Also some disabilities like harelips are also shown on portraits

French portraits

Pope interactions in the religion view are not necessarily new: request money, request invasion, request excommunication. Just makes them easier to find and check the requirements

Byzantines don't take part in a crusade for Rum

Crusader King trait: +20% levy size, +30% damage against religious enemies, +3 martial, +15 personal combat skill, +35 same religion opinion

new "make a friend" ambition

"only adults" checkbox in the select spouse screen

vassals can be swayed and antagonized with a click

"crowned by a bishop" trait for some minor prestige and piety per month

new pregnancy event with cravings for weird food

Ruler headgear changes to helmets when they are in battle and back to normal outside of war

At some point the Pope becomes angry and demands that only he can declare people saints

Knowing CK2 players, they will use the children's crusade to dispose of useless heirs....

25. - Top - End - #1165

"only adults" checkbox in the select spouse screen
    I swear that this is already in the game. The rest of it sounds completely rad and makes me want to pre-order this expansion. As it is, I don't currently have the monthly income to allow that. Maybe when my trade-posts come online I will start having a positive income, but I am currently somewhat over-extended with my retinues fighting a holy war, so I doubt that will happen.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

26. - Top - End - #1166

MonkGuy

Knowing CK2 players, they will use the children's crusade to dispose of useless heirs....
    CK2 players or Dwarf Fortress players - who's the worst?

27. - Top - End - #1167

CK2 players or Dwarf Fortress players - who's the worst?
    I don't think anyone has figured out how to breed and murder-for-their-bones intelligent creatures in CK2 yet.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Troll in the Playground

I think mermaid farming and dwarven daycare experiments kind of beat out any CK2 villainy, even the satan events feel pretty tame by comparison to locking children in a tiny room with feral animals for 11 years then dousing them in magma, or the later versions where they spend 11 years having to dodge wooden spears just to get food and climbing high stone walls to get to beds.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

Full UI redesign of the character page. More space for traits and modifiers

Oh thank the LICHEMASTER! PLEASE let this be backwards save-compatible! (To be fair, they ain't let me down yet, though!)

That's nice too!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    I think mermaid farming and dwarven daycare experiments kind of beat out any CK2 villainy, even the satan events feel pretty tame by comparison to locking children in a tiny room with feral animals for 11 years then dousing them in magma, or the later versions where they spend 11 years having to dodge wooden spears just to get food and climbing high stone walls to get to beds.

There must be a crazy purpose to that, right?

Never managed to get into that - I couldn't even attempt it without some kind of graphical interface, and there always seemed so many updates and changes and mods I'd need to get that after one aborted try I sort of gave up.

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    There must be a crazy purpose to that, right?

Never managed to get into that - I couldn't even attempt it without some kind of graphical interface, and there always seemed so many updates and changes and mods I'd need to get that after one aborted try I sort of gave up.
    Original purpose was to make dwarven supersoldiers, later versions focused more on just generally useful non-job skills as the game got updated and the original version became nonviable.

Basic idea was that kids in DF aren't all that useful, they eat food, waste artifact chances and don't do any work for 12 ingame years. So why not try to turn their childhood years into training for something?

Spoiler: Technique and theory
    Show
    The child would be locked in a 2x2 room upon reaching the age of one, with a large amount of small animals, most experiments used dogs or peacocks, a lifetimes supply of good food and drink and a bed. The animals being compressed in a small space would lash out at other creatures and the child would need to learn to dodge or endure the damage it would suffer. The hope was that a creature of the right size wouldn't be able to cause death or severe injuries that require time out of the hole to go to hospital.

The goal was to make the kid have high skills in Dodge and Fighter when they reached 12 and could join the fort military, and be hardened to violence and death because they grew up in a room full of mangled and dying animals trying to kill him. Some versions then tried to involve a magma spray to melt the fat out of the Dwarf's body, which if survived would make him immune to most fire damage because fire inflicted damage by making you bleed at the time, and fat was the heaviest bleeding tissue.

Survival rates were bad, the kids often went insane or died of infection and most never developed useful skills.

The later version was devised when dwarfs started to need to talk to people or risk madness as part of the social interaction overhaul a few years back, and was far more humane, seeking to train the new climbing skill, dodge, fighter and swimming. It was basically a communal dorm for kids that made them climb a wall to get to and from bed, walk across a bridge of wooden spike traps to get food and drink, and if they dodged off they fell sideways into a shallow pool and had to swim out, but it was shallow enough not to drown them.

I think some people got good results from it while in the previous method successes were rare to the point of being non-replicable.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.