New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread IV: Time to Create a New Title

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View Post
    Wait, he could do that? I thought India would be too far away. HA! I would like to see him try it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I have seen the pope call and win crusades for kingdoms in India. If every kingdom west of the Hindu Kush is ruled by Catholics or Orthodox, the Pope calls crusades in India and Tibet.
    That's the logical way it happens. The silly way is that if no target with a set weight (which is far from everything in the West - pretty much everything east of Poland and all of Africa and the Middle East bar Jerusalem has no weight), His Holiness appears to choose randomly between any of the remaining targets.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

2. - Top - End - #842
    Barbarian in the Playground

Stupid question - I know Commanders and Kings can be captured in battle but could a Pope, who is a Commander in an army, but captured and would that end the Crusade? Just wondering aloud to be honest. Because I know the Pope will join the Crusades with troops and it seems kind of weird if it all ended because somebody grabbed him during a battle.
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

3. - Top - End - #843
    Ettin in the Playground

Stupid question - I know Commanders and Kings can be captured in battle but could a Pope, who is a Commander in an army, but captured and would that end the Crusade? Just wondering aloud to be honest. Because I know the Pope will join the Crusades with troops and it seems kind of weird if it all ended because somebody grabbed him during a battle.
    Pretty sure yes, there's nothing different about crusades from regular wars in this regard.

(Technically, having the ruler of the opposing forces in your prison doesn't automatically end the war -- but it does give you an automatic 100% war score.)
    Last edited by Malimar; 2018-02-21 at 04:22 PM.

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Any character that is leading troops on the field can potentially be captured or killed - AFAIK the Pope has no special protections here, and the standard warscore mechanics would apply. So yes, if the Pope gets himself captured he will immediately fall to -100% score as usual for when the primary leader of a war gets captured by the enemy.

5. - Top - End - #845

ElfMonkGuy

Yeah, I can't find it now, but I have seen a picture of a pope being captured in battle before and it lets the Crusade target instantly win.
    Last edited by mythmonster2; 2018-02-21 at 05:17 PM.

6. - Top - End - #846
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Pretty sure yes, there's nothing different about crusades from regular wars in this regard.

(Technically, having the ruler of the opposing forces in your prison doesn't automatically end the war -- but it does give you an automatic 100% war score.)
    I once joined a crusade with the crusade target captured. Since nobody except the pope had actually fought any battles yet, the pope forced a win and got all of Andalusia as a new papal state. I don't know if this has changed, but it used to be that republics and theocracies could not usurp king level titles, so he didn't have the title of Andalusia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

7. - Top - End - #847

Absolutely. With crusades and every other war, it's a handy "last-ditch" trick to identify if the enemy war leader is leading any armies and just throwing everything you've got at that army until you capture them.

I don't play intrigue-focused very often, are there good tricks for kidnapping someone except for "Spy On..." and waiting for the event to pop up?

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ufo View Post
    I don't play intrigue-focused very often, are there good tricks for kidnapping someone except for "Spy On..." and waiting for the event to pop up?
    Being a satanist with M&M lets you send your cronies to kidnap folks.

9. - Top - End - #849

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Being a satanist with M&M lets you send your cronies to kidnap folks.
    Haha, yeah. I had completely forgotten about that. Unlike many I'm quite happy for the supernatural elements in the game, but that ability is actually the reason I completely stopped playing as Satanists. I had a start as Deheubarth where I formed Britannia almost without killing anyone by kidnapping, force converting to Satanist and if the loyalty bonus from being the Big Boss wasn't enough, using the cheesy relationship spell and suddenly everyone was down for vassalization lol.

I hear that it's been nerfed? Maybe it's time to give it another chance and see if it's more fun and less "fun". I like when the weird elements take a bit of effort to get off the ground, like the Hermetics Tech/Cities engine, but I'm starting to tire of that.

10. - Top - End - #850

Just did an Isle of Mann into a Republic. Two things I noticed: lots of Irish and Welsh counties only have 3 holdings, and when you kill off a patrician who doesn't have any titles except his family palace, you don't get his retinue. Should I form the Kingdom of Manaw, or should I take over and form wales? I want to eventually form E_Britannia. I'm currently trying to farm my fellow patricians so I can have a stranglehold on Irish sea trade, but I think I'll stop for a little so I can focus on moving the capital to a county with more holding slots. I suppose if I had Reaper's Due I could try to expand the holding slots in Manaw, but I don't see getting Reaper's Due any time soon.

My understanding is that building a retinue out of nothing but archers is a bad idea. Should I pad my retinues with light infantry, heavy infantry, or pikes? This is one place where being Italian is just awesome (since pure pike retinues are pretty boss). I suppose I could have gone Scottish or Irish or even Anglo-Saxon for Pike or Heavy-infantry.

Also, what is the trigger for transition from Pict to Scottish? And does the special Welsh name apply whether it is Pictland or Scotland?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I have fun with exclusive archer retinues. I know that they're generally a bad idea, because they get trashed in the anything but skirmish phase. However, Watching your enemies melt during the skirmish phase and backing up your retinue with levies has served me well in the past to defeat enemy armies quickly.

When they're not defeated quickly...That's where I have the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    I have fun with exclusive archer retinues. I know that they're generally a bad idea, because they get trashed in the anything but skirmish phase. However, Watching your enemies melt during the skirmish phase and backing up your retinue with levies has served me well in the past to defeat enemy armies quickly.

When they're not defeated quickly...That's where I have the problem.
    The main problem with archer-only is the existence of a tactic that can trigger against them which ends the skirmish phase almost immediately. If you're lucky, your archers will decimate the opposing side before that can happen - it's a gamble, but it pays off when it happens, and it's more likely when you have cultural archer retinues and an appropriate cultural commander. IIRC it only requires ~10% composition of proper melee class troops to stop it from triggering, tho, so you can do it with a pretty small proportion of Defense or Shock retinue sections.

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

So I've finally managed to form the Persian Empire in my Zoroastrian game. It was a pain and I wanted to get Saoshyant and Restore the High Priesthood before my previous ruler die, but I guess the accomplishment of finally forming the Empire did his heart in. You don't fully appreciate how large some of the Empires are until you try to form them. I could have formed a Custom Empire decades ago if I didn't need to form the Persian Empire to get access to the Zoroastrian stuff.

Spoiler
    Show

Fun Facts:
    • I spent 5000 Grace to get China to destroy The Byzantine Empire.They were getting too big and too close to me. I feel like Grace Costs should be Doubled. I have so many Chinese Artifacts
    • There are still two Anatolia's(There was three). The larger one on my border that controls most of Syria and the hot pink one that controls a small section of central Anatolia. I still have no clue how that happened.
    • The Han Dynasty is in China. The amusing irony being that a new Dynasty Warriors game was just released.
    • I was hoping to see the Empire of Abyssinia form. They used to be much larger before collapsing and Sunni Egypt conquered a lot of Nubia. The requirements to form that empire are bunk.
    • Arabia is a remnant of that much larger Abyssinia and is Miaphysite.
    • To my shock, The Lombards formed the HRE while under so much pressure from that massive Hispania.
    • Germanic is Reformed.
    • England, Scotland, Saxony, Bavaria, Denmark, and Sweden are all Germanic Kingdoms.
    • Xia is an independant Bon Kingdom.
    • The Deccan Empire used to have most of India as their tributary. It was a little scary.
    • I love the ability to turn off dynastic title names.
    • Hispania getting that big...doesn't surprise me.

14. - Top - End - #854

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    Fun Facts:
    • I love the ability to turn off dynastic title names.
    • Hispania getting that big...doesn't surprise me.
    I also love turning off dynastic title names. I wish there were an option to have it be thinks like "Seljuk Persia", but I don't think that is in the cards.

And is that a Muslim or a Christian Hispania?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #855

I also love turning off dynastic title names. I wish there were an option to have it be thinks like "Seljuk Persia", but I don't think that is in the cards.

Ironically, this very question is a reason why I prefer having dynastic title names (plus I'm a huge Middle Eastern history nerd, and know that there was no real concept of titles or similar for most of the region, it was a more pragmatic matter, and the histories usually refer to dynastic instead of geographic names.)
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

16. - Top - End - #856
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I was going to say "Pre-1066 with no HRE or Francia present means a large Muslim Hispania", but then I realized that it isn't exactly rare to see Christian Umayyad appear. However, in this case, it's definitely a Muslim Hispania. Christianity is in a pretty bad place with Germanic rampant in Germania and Brittania. The only place that's really Catholic is Italy and northern France and they're drowning in Heresy. The same goes for the Byzantine Remnants. Several lords have held out on the early game Iconoclast Heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Ironically, this very question is a reason why I prefer having dynastic title names (plus I'm a huge Middle Eastern history nerd, and know that there was no real concept of titles or similar for most of the region, it was a more pragmatic matter, and the histories usually refer to dynastic instead of geographic names.)
    I just prefer seeing "Persian Empire" or "Arabian Empire". There's a couple of reasons for it. It helps with the feeling of accomplishment. It feels a lot better going from the King of Iraq to the Emperor of Persia than going from Bavandid to...Bavandid. There's also a more practical element in that if you have a Kingdom that straddles two different de jure kingdom regions, you can tell at a glance which title he holds rather than have to go nosing around the title list.

I know the historical reasoning why they did it that way and don't begrudge it. I'm just happy they gave us a way to turn it off.

17. - Top - End - #857

So, I just started a run as Matilda di Canosa, Duchess of Tuscany. After a successful plot to steal the duchy of Lombardy and another plot to steal Verona, I formed the Kingdom of Italy (and then the emperor gave me a couple vassals to make me happier to get me out of the independence faction. He shouldn't have bothered since I wanted to be able to form E_italia as soon as I got independence, but it made getting the territory easier. My problem is that I forgot to switch to Primogeniture before forming k_italy, so now I have to spend inordinate years waiting to increase my crown authority so I can go primogeniture. Any suggestions?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I just started a run as Matilda di Canosa, Duchess of Tuscany. After a successful plot to steal the duchy of Lombardy and another plot to steal Verona, I formed the Kingdom of Italy (and then the emperor gave me a couple vassals to make me happier to get me out of the independence faction. He shouldn't have bothered since I wanted to be able to form E_italia as soon as I got independence, but it made getting the territory easier. My problem is that I forgot to switch to Primogeniture before forming k_italy, so now I have to spend inordinate years waiting to increase my crown authority so I can go primogeniture. Any suggestions?
    Buy Conclave, never worry about crown authority ever again?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

19. - Top - End - #859

I bought CK2 a few weeks back when it was on sale, got the Dynasty Starter Pack. It's going pretty well. Took me a while to get the hang of what I should be doing, but in the end I made it from Chief of Austisland to Emperor of Scandinavia in a bit over 200 years, which struck me as decent for my first time playing the game.

Since then, my expansionist tendencies have certainly kept things interesting...
    Spoiler
    Show
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

20. - Top - End - #860

So, I'm trying to do a run as the Chief of Thufider(the Jewish vassal of Alaniain the "Old Gods" start). I keep getting about 30 years before I get Holy Warred out of existence. Any suggestions for getting to the point where I can turn in to a merchant republic? My most recent run involved getting holy warred by the Muslim Khanate of Kazaria. After the Holy War, the King decided to revoke my title. I suppose I should have been quicker about the whole false conversion thing. Maybe I should play with secret cults and see if that helps.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #861
    Colossus in the Playground

So, I'm trying to do a run as the Chief of Thufider(the Jewish vassal of Alaniain the "Old Gods" start). I keep getting about 30 years before I get Holy Warred out of existence. Any suggestions for getting to the point where I can turn in to a merchant republic? My most recent run involved getting holy warred by the Muslim Khanate of Kazaria. After the Holy War, the King decided to revoke my title. I suppose I should have been quicker about the whole false conversion thing. Maybe I should play with secret cults and see if that helps.
    If you have a Jewish heir, you can select the "convert to attacker's religion" decision and IIRC the heir won't be affected. Then your current ruler lives out the rest of his life as a whatever, and it's back to Judaism as soon as he dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #862

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you have a Jewish heir, you can select the "convert to attacker's religion" decision and IIRC the heir won't be affected. Then your current ruler lives out the rest of his life as a whatever, and it's back to Judaism as soon as he dies.
    The problem was that (except for the one time I was overrun by Samaritans) I haven't managed to get independence. And even that time, I couldn't find the "convert to attacker's religion" button.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #863
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Let me preface that I love the Secret Cults in Crusader Kings II.

However, the secret Sunni Cult I have in my Zoroastrian Persia game is actually driving nuts. I bring up a list of my courtiers for councilors and all I see is "Sympathy for Islam" as far as the eye can see.

AKA "these guys are probably in the Secret Sunni Society"

24. - Top - End - #864

So I decided to go for a significantly easier Jewish run. I am running as the duke of Azov and Cheremisia. I plan to go Republic as soon as possible. Any suggestions for dealing with the big purple blob as a persecuted religion?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

25. - Top - End - #865
    Colossus in the Playground

So I decided to go for a significantly easier Jewish run. I am running as the duke of Azov and Cheremisia. I plan to go Republic as soon as possible. Any suggestions for dealing with the big purple blob as a persecuted religion?
    Wait until they collapse due to religious infighting and Muslim raids?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

26. - Top - End - #866

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Wait until they collapse due to religious infighting and Muslim raids?
    I also have maximum power province revolts. And I burned the temple in Cherson (which raised the Jewish Moral Authority by 1%, woot!). Raiding Cherson is actually pretty easy since the Byzantines don't bother shipping their troops, so I have lots of warning that they are about to step on me. I'm currently trying to build up my capital duchy. Kahzaria has been doing really well at spreating over the steppes. However, I expect that to go south as soon as a religious rebellion hits. I really need to figure out how to convert all my provinces to jewish ASAP, but 39% moral authority is really low. And there aren't any Jewish Holy sites close by. I would have to go take on the Muslims before I could get any.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My solution to dealing with The Byzantine Empire was to "Get China to Do It"

Getting the 5000 Grace in order to ask for The Boon of Death Starring an Empire is not as hard as it probably should be. It's fairly easy to do in just a couple of generations. Less so if you get lucky with The Emperor's likes and your Kowtow. Although Azov might be a bit far away to interact with China...It worked for me...sort of.

Spoiler
    Show

I still don't know how I managed to get multiple Anatolia's.

28. - Top - End - #868

ElfMonkGuy

Really? China can interfere with the Byzantine Empire? Is there not a diplomatic distance for them? That just seems ridiculous; the east shore of the Caspian Sea should be the absolute farthest they could go, and even that would be farther than they ever went IRL.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Trying to talk myself into starting earlier than 1066. I REALLY like the 1066 start dates because that's the time period I'm really interested in (1066 - just after the 30 year war).
    Right now I three ideas in my head:
    1. A count in will-be-poland in the earliest start date
    2. A count in one of the francias in the earliest start date
    3. The duke of Brittany in 1066.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

I found playing a Slavic 'count' in 867 to be an interesting experience.