New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread IV: Time to Create a New Title

So it turns out my understanding of inheritance laws was somewhat inaccurate. I'm the shiny new King of Scotland and decided that my first order of business should be retaking the Duchy of Lothian (it's a sorry state of affairs when Edinburgh's English). I invited the heir to my court, gave him a county and then arranged a fun hunting trip for the young Duke as a sort of "getting to know you" affair. Always a good idea to maintain foreign relations and all that.

Following the tragic hunting accident I expected my vassal to inherit the Duchy and thus give me indirect control. What actually happened was that my vassal inherited the Duchy and gave the King of England direct control over the County of Ross.

So did I need to give him an equivalent title (i.e. a Duchy) or is there something else I'm missing?

2. - Top - End - #272

DruidGuy

Paradox have announced they are going to be patching some adjustments for M&M soon.

For starters devil worshippers will have more risk and drawback including higher risk of discovery and neighbours being able to holy war you.

The Hunt Apostate ability for Court Chaplin's is being boosted, including allowing revocation on apostates and the ability to burn them at the stake.

Hermetics will be given an option to use the various ingredients being collected.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    So it turns out my understanding of inheritance laws was somewhat inaccurate. I'm the shiny new King of Scotland and decided that my first order of business should be retaking the Duchy of Lothian (it's a sorry state of affairs when Edinburgh's English). I invited the heir to my court, gave him a county and then arranged a fun hunting trip for the young Duke as a sort of "getting to know you" affair. Always a good idea to maintain foreign relations and all that.

Following the tragic hunting accident I expected my vassal to inherit the Duchy and thus give me indirect control. What actually happened was that my vassal inherited the Duchy and gave the King of England direct control over the County of Ross.

So did I need to give him an equivalent title (i.e. a Duchy) or is there something else I'm missing?
    Yeah, equivalent or higher. Also the Laws of England might play a part as well, if they have no external inheritance.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I think that trick would have worked for a CLAIMANT if you'd invited him and pressed his claim (not sure you even need to land him since Lothian is de jure Scotland)...but then you have to fight England, which is something you probably shouldn't do without allying France and/or the HRE, or they've managed to blow their entire levy on a Crusade or something.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

I noticed that I messed up with duchy assimilating. I became an emperor, so my primary title was no longer King of Portugal.

Is this an issue? My King title is titular, but my Emperor title holds all my Iberian holdings. I also have one kingdom held by a vassal outside my kingdom and three vassal duchies outside my empire and vassal kingdoms.

Is this going to cause issues? Should I have avoided the Imperial title and waited for Iberian duchies to assimilate? I am concerned that my Dukes will inherit odd and be able to create king titles and firce me to cede easily controlled nearby duke vassals.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

6. - Top - End - #276

PirateCaptain

I can now confirm that giving the heir a Duchy works. On a related note, those "short reign" modifiers make it really easy to chain-kill Dukes until you reach the first guy in the line of succession who'd agreed to join the court.

7. - Top - End - #277

DruidGuy

Apparently sacrificing a kinsman in a Great Blot gets you the kinslayer tag.

I did it anyway - by that stage it was the only way to deal with the annoyance of elective gavelkind.

Seriously, that must be the worse of all systems of governing. Not only do all your titles get spread around by your vassals get to elect your successor from among all your brothers, son, half-brothers, uncles, cousins, nephews etc. And given you can't control the breeding or education of many of them, your vassals end up selecting some utterly useless person. The case in question was a dull character with not a single stat above 8. I managed to imprison him after he revolted for being a bad boy.

Problem is my council liked him and wouldn't allow me to strip him of titles, banish him, execute him or anything else. And he sat for a dozen years in the oubliette laughing at me with out suffering any ill effects. So a ritual sacrifice he became.

This was from my Gotland run. I've managed to claw my way to the dominate power in Scandinavia, grabbed three holy sites of the Germanic faith - only to find my fellow religious practitioners have tanked the moral authority down to 28%

8. - Top - End - #278
    Colossus in the Playground

Yep, imprisoned kinsmen are one of those situations where you might actually consider using the "wait, don't" option. Which makes one wonder - why did you take that prisoner out of the dungeon anyway?

There was a pretty great bug with Tanistry once. I was playing a Pictish lord who had managed to form Pictland, and feudalize. Regardless of my efforts, the lords of the realm wanted a really crummy relative to succeed me. Out of options, I ordered him to become a monk...and as soon as I died, Pictland ceased to exist because a monk could not hold titles. I was shunted to a random uncle with but a single county to my name, and ragequit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I think the correct solution to that puzzle is "revoke everyone's titles down to Count level and burn the kingdom down in the ensuing rebellions rather than acquiesce to an unworthy successor."

I haven't finished any of my Ireland games btw.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm at that frustrating part of the game where things are very standoffish.

HRE somehow got absolute crown authority in France at least, so none of those duchies are going anywhere outside their realms by inheritance. Same for any other Duchy I try (as soon as their heirs end up in spain, a different heir pops up).

I finished conquering Mali just in time for the king of Scotland to inherit one of the duchies somehow....kinda annoying, but I will get him back by getting his successor as a King vassal of Mali (once a new castle is finished).

My issue remains the HRE. Nobody can stand up to them, I have the most troops out of any Christian nation at 45k max (high crown authority, working on absolute). HRE has 75-90k depending on the day of the week. We had a brief war over one of the Tolouse Counties, and even fighting a defensive war and ferrying my troops around in free ships, I lost badly. The HRE literally walked 45k troops from the middle of their Empire, through spain and through half of Africa with 5%+ attrition....and still kept their troop counts over 30k for that doom stack.

Somehow, he sat at 100-150 gold, even though he was losing 10 gold a month, for over 2 years. At the end of the war (still at -10 a month) he ended up with over 500 gold.

My new king just married a Norman Queen with a claim on England. Combined with my Scottish buddy, I might just try to conquer the UK. The mongols are nearing Central Europe. With luck, they will soon be fighting the HRE, but they look about ready to collapse, so who knows.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    I'm at that frustrating part of the game where things are very standoffish.

HRE somehow got absolute crown authority in France at least, so none of those duchies are going anywhere outside their realms by inheritance. Same for any other Duchy I try (as soon as their heirs end up in spain, a different heir pops up).

I finished conquering Mali just in time for the king of Scotland to inherit one of the duchies somehow....kinda annoying, but I will get him back by getting his successor as a King vassal of Mali (once a new castle is finished).

My issue remains the HRE. Nobody can stand up to them, I have the most troops out of any Christian nation at 45k max (high crown authority, working on absolute). HRE has 75-90k depending on the day of the week. We had a brief war over one of the Tolouse Counties, and even fighting a defensive war and ferrying my troops around in free ships, I lost badly. The HRE literally walked 45k troops from the middle of their Empire, through spain and through half of Africa with 5%+ attrition....and still kept their troop counts over 30k for that doom stack.

Somehow, he sat at 100-150 gold, even though he was losing 10 gold a month, for over 2 years. At the end of the war (still at -10 a month) he ended up with over 500 gold.

My new king just married a Norman Queen with a claim on England. Combined with my Scottish buddy, I might just try to conquer the UK. The mongols are nearing Central Europe. With luck, they will soon be fighting the HRE, but they look about ready to collapse, so who knows.
    I know higher crown authority seems like a good way to boost troop counts (and I normally try sitting at medium), but it only boosts troop counts for vassals who don't like you enough to give you the current authority's troop count. So if you have lots of 100 opinion vassals, higher authority does nothing troop related, and might actually drop their troop contributions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    I know higher crown authority seems like a good way to boost troop counts (and I normally try sitting at medium), but it only boosts troop counts for vassals who don't like you enough to give you the current authority's troop count. So if you have lots of 100 opinion vassals, higher authority does nothing troop related, and might actually drop their troop contributions.
    Oh no, they mostly only 30-40 like me.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

After gaining scotland as a vassal, and passing Absolute Crown Authority, I have 70k troops, which makes the HRE a lot less scary (I can get local superiority fairly easily esp. if I have free boats from a defensive war).

Other upside is the Mongols reformed their religion, and declared a succesful holy war on Hungary....so now they have a huge area of land right next to the HRE. They also trouned the HRE, who joined the war (though I cannot at the moment declare on them, as I have an 75% size faction from people unhappy about crown law changes and a title revoke).

Thinking I should just finish conquering the UK, but it will be a lot of ****ty tiny wars, though Ireland will be super fast (hardest part will be getting CBs).

14. - Top - End - #284

DruidGuy

I got my ruler up to being the leader of Hel's followers and stole the life force of my first child. Interestingly it seems that doing so gives you a health buff for 10 years, with an equal chance of +1/+2/+3. I haven't had a chance for a second child to be vampired yet.

Does anyone know if they stack and if so, does it reset the timer or what? If it does then being of a faith that allows concubines really makes a difference if they keep pumping out the life batteries to keep boosting up that health bonus.

He ruler is an interesting character. Not only is he a cruel, arbitrary, cannibal impalers, he is also lustful, greedy and wrothful. Yet he isn't particularly disliked given he is also a poet and a gardener and has a good diplo wife and chancellor and no one even suspected him.

The Gotland old gods start is interesting. Start as a 30 year old with a 10 year old son. Expect to be subjugated very early on as there are a number of powerful petty kings around who will eye you off greedily in their quest to be king of Sweden.

My ruler is currently mid 50s and is on the verge of being the main power in Scandinavia. He started off snapping up all the minor one county chieftains he could before the bigger boys got in the act. As he was doing that he got subjugated by one of the petty kings (like literally while he was off up north in the middle of the wars). Nothing I could do to stop it so I ate it. Then that petty king got run over by the much more powerful Danes who in turn lost their elderly ruler and saw their nation fragment thanks to gavelkind. I by that stage was running with 7 counties giving me a powerful army so I took out the breakaway petty king. Winning that got me my independence as I was now the same rank as the Danish petty king, and gave me 3 vassals.

Since then I've been forcing tribute from the various nations in de jure Norge as I can't take them over (yet). Once that is done, with 7 chiefdoms of my own, 4 vassals and a half dozen tributary nations I'll be strong enough to subjugate Svitjod and Sjaelland and will thus control most of Scandinavia.

The big problem lies to the south. After just 25 years, Francia is immensely powerful. Not only have they taken over all of Saxony (and made reforming the Germanic faith that much harder in the process) but somehow they took over all of Asturia before the Umayyads could. Never seen that happen before. If they come north any time soon I could be in for some trouble.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Spent the whole day reading Act 1 of Blood in the Bosphorus.

I am never, ever playing Byzantium.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I don't know if this is a bug in the current version, or a legitimate change. However, I recently had a ruler with a very low diplomacy focus on carousing.

The Carousing focus gives you access to the events to buff your diplomacy if your diplomacy skill is low(it used to be only when your diplomacy was under 10), but over the course of his life...my ruler went from the mid-high single digits to a 27 base diplomacy and ultimately accruing a diplomacy score in the mid-thirties after traits. The +2 diplomacy event just kept firing every few years.

It's just that I don't know if it's a bug or just a change from the previous version. I have seen numerous characters with skill in the mid to upper thirties or higher(there's a Khagan that has a martial skill of 40...although most of his bonuses are from traits.)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leecros View Post
    I don't know if this is a bug in the current version, or a legitimate change. However, I recently had a ruler with a very low diplomacy focus on carousing.

The Carousing focus gives you access to the events to buff your diplomacy if your diplomacy skill is low(it used to be only when your diplomacy was under 10), but over the course of his life...my ruler went from the mid-high single digits to a 27 base diplomacy and ultimately accruing a diplomacy score in the mid-thirties after traits. The +2 diplomacy event just kept firing every few years.

It's just that I don't know if it's a bug or just a change from the previous version. I have seen numerous characters with skill in the mid to upper thirties or higher(there's a Khagan that has a martial skill of 40...although most of his bonuses are from traits.)
    Highest of any score I have seen is 27 in Vanilla. 30 diplomacy means a +78 to opinion? That is so broken.

That said 40 martial skill is something like 150% larger demesne levies. That would buff my 16k levies to 40k....easily murder-death-killing the HRE (but costing ludicrous amounts of gold every month).

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Based upon the ignominious conclusion of the Ua Briain dynasty in yesterday's celebratory Celtic unification Ironman run, I want to write this down for my own edification later:

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever do any of your vassals a single favor, even if it leads to you becoming King of Brittany. The second you land someone and finishing pressing a weak claim for them, they'll backstab you for Gavelkind inheritance or something equally stupid. Actually no, probably Gavelkind. Why in the everloving hell does everyone want Gavelkind succession, all the time, every game? Who has that ever not screwed over?
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Based upon the ignominious conclusion of the Ua Briain dynasty in yesterday's celebratory Celtic unification Ironman run, I want to write this down for my own edification later:

Never ever ever ever ever ever ever do any of your vassals a single favor, even if it leads to you becoming King of Brittany. The second you land someone and finishing pressing a weak claim for them, they'll backstab you for Gavelkind inheritance or something equally stupid. Actually no, probably Gavelkind. Why in the everloving hell does everyone want Gavelkind succession, all the time, every game? Who has that ever not screwed over?
    That demense limit tho....

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Why in the everloving hell does everyone want Gavelkind succession, all the time, every game? Who has that ever not screwed over?
    It's probably one of those mechanics which are put into place specifically to be a setback to the player.

The AI doesn't care about vassal management or half of their demense passing from their realm. It's just one of those things...

Also, as far as Monks&Mystics is concerned....I'm seriously disappointed that there isn't a special event for sacrificing The Pope to Satan. Just the standard Religious Person text. Seems like a missed opportunity.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

It's probably one of those mechanics which are put into place specifically to be a setback to the player.

The AI doesn't care about vassal management or half of their demense passing from their realm. It's just one of those things...

Also, as far as Monks&Mystics is concerned....I'm seriously disappointed that there isn't a special event for sacrificing The Pope to Satan. Just the standard Religious Person text. Seems like a missed opportunity.
    Give it a few minutes, someone will make one.

22. - Top - End - #292

PirateCaptain

I might have just found an infinite prestige bug.

Still playing as the King of Scotland, I notice that one of my vassals is plotting to kill me. I've never really liked him much (despite him having the name "Murray of Moray", which I personally find hilarious), so I plan to do the standard "arrest, war, revoke". The bug comes in when about halfway through my sieging down his capital, his rival takes advantage of him having his entire army wiped out and launches a rivalry CB war and captures him in battle.

Now, Murray's imprisoned, so I instantly get 100% warscore. However, he's not my prisoner, so he's still free to reject revocations, which he does. Except he's still imprisoned, so I instantly get 100% warscore and enforce demands, netting me 50 prestige. And then I try to revoke again, but he refuses again, and we have another war, which I once again instantly win and claim 50 prestige for. I did this about four times before getting bored and moving on with the game.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Doesn't title revocation cost 50 prestige nowadays?
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    The opinion hits are what add up, more than the Prestige. I was already dealing with succession rebellions without having a tyranny rebellion at the same time, like my dillhole brother-in-law in Scotland was.

Although actually, what ended my run was (ironically given my earlier comment) what caused Rincewind's game over in Blood in the Bosphorous: ruler died, game went to his daughter who was already patrilineally married to a damn Englishman, with non-dynasty kids. I guess I could have gotten out of it with at least some titles intact, but it seemed like a good time to ragequit.

EDIT: oh that was to something else. Whatever I still wanted to talk about my fail.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2017-03-18 at 05:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Up to 1315 aD and in an interesting position.

HRE declare war on me again, trying to take part of Tolouse. I successfully beat the crap out of them, dropping them down to negative gold and 10k troops....before two things happened.

I got a fabricate success on the "Republic of Algiers" that would drop me seriously negative.

The HRE Emperor died, and a stupidly rich (8k gold) guy became emperor.

I was at 97% war score, and am earning 70 gold per month, so I completed a quick siege, and peaced out with HRE (sadly, only earning me 200g from the resolution for some reason). I also fabricated the Republic of Algiers, leaving me -500 gold. After quickly getting positive gold again, I attacked Pisa, stole the Republic of Algiers, and make a very loyal, very rich guy the head of it. Unf. the Republic is already part of the Pisa de jure kingdom, and I can't revoke it as it is a merchant republic.

At the moment, HRE is recovered and has 83k troops (and stupid amounts of gold). I have 71k troops (20k from my demesne). I think if I finish taking Britania (got Scotland, and most of Ireland with the Irish king siezing the rest for me) I should be in a great position to defend against the HRE.

26. - Top - End - #296

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    Does it? I don't recall seeing that anywhere (although I don't really keep enough of an eye on the top-right as I really should, so it's possible that it happens and there just isn't a warning). Maybe it's different if they're flagged as a traitor or something.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Just a little amusing thing.

My rival died and I had the option to steal his body and take his skull as a trophy. Of course, I couldn't resist and went ahead for it.

Turns out that Skull Trophies label their original owner as the person who was beheaded. It might sound like an obvious conclusion, but most Artifacts label their original owner as the character that first obtained them.

It's a small thing, but it greatly amused me. Also now I want to start a skull collection.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Just a little amusing thing.

My rival died and I had the option to steal his body and take his skull as a trophy. Of course, I couldn't resist and went ahead for it.

Turns out that Skull Trophies label their original owner as the person who was beheaded. It might sound like an obvious conclusion, but most Artifacts label their original owner as the character that first obtained them.

It's a small thing, but it greatly amused me. Also now I want to start a skull collection.
    I mean...Bob did own his own skull before I made a drinking mug out of it.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I would assume that St. John owned his fingers too, but that particular artifact displays the ruler who found/obtained it and not St. John.

of course most all of those myriad of fingers are fraudulent. Your characters in-game don't know that though.

30. - Top - End - #300

DruidGuy

So the Gotland run has gone from amazing to imploding to amazing to imploding and back to amazing again. All in a short space of time.

The Hel follower hit 66 and all was going well. He had siphoned life from some of his (many) kids. It turns out the bonuses don't stack but do renew sot he most you can get is +3 health. Between that and family man he was rocking +4 health though, which I though would last a while. Then he suddenly became infirm and that can't be cured by dark healing. He died shortly after from the effects of it, before he could off enough sons. His kingdom split up into three parts.

Then his son and heir died pretty much straight away in his mid forties and gavelkind ripped the heart out of what remained. Thew new ruler was reduced to just a single chiefdom, the family's old holdings of Gotland, and a couple of vassals. The rest of the once powerful nation was shared out between brothers and uncles and he was too weak to be taking all of them on. But he wasn't about to lie back and take it. In true viking tradition he went ahead and conquered, subdued and forced tribute from other weaker tribes until he was in a position to take back the old family land. When he passed on pretty much all of Sweden, Denmark and Norway was under his rule and he had even added the Jarldom of Kent to the nation.

His death saw his 16 year old grandson elected to take over, a strong, shrewd, patient man. Gavelkind only hda a modest effect on his inheritance, and that was quickly fixed.

At just 26, now also brave, he started to search for immortality. As it was the first time I'd gone through the chain, I didn't know what I was doing so failed it when I gave money to some drunk. If he couldn't live for ever, he could at least make his name do so and he set about on a massive plundering spree, from Pommerania all the way to Flanders. Over the course of a number of years at least a dozen temples and a similar number of towns were sacked, seeing hundreds of gold pouring into Gotland.

All of it raised the moral authority of old germanic enough that he could reform the faith.

And things started to go bad again. I'd forgotten how bad the pagan attrition penalty was, and how much it had been protecting me. His first target was a holy war for Estonia, a tiny two chieftain nation with barely a thousand men to its name. Yet as the armies gathered, word game back than now it had an army 10,000 strong. Somehow it had picked up 9000 event spawned troops and I know he didn't have the money for that many mercs or the prestige for that many tribal warriors.

Needless to say that between an army now larger than mine and attrition it ended badly.

While that disaster was going on, near ever Catholic man and their dogs declared holy war. Somehow despite loosing three holy wars, two personal counties, going into debt, having the army decimated and prestige gutted, he survived and pulled through. After a couple of years of rebuilding the army, he went on another massive plundering spree, the last stage of which was the sacking of Rome itself.

With that done, he set up the Serene Republic of Gotland.

It has been a few years since that and the gold has been pouring in. While the army remains weak he has banked up enough that he can throw mercenaries at the problem for a while.

But his life is now drawing to an end and his heir stands ready to led the Republic on, secured by a large war chest (and a couple of assassinations).