New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread IV: Time to Create a New Title

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    So, regarding my current Rome playthrough...

I currently have the eleven or so units of my demesne concentrated into two duchies (Thrace and Latium) and one barony off in the Middle East, wherein I have basically all the castles in those six counties.

I am, as they doin' it right, or would I be better served (especially regarding tech spread) to start picking out the odd county from a more far-flung place, making that my desmesne and handing out my baronies? That would not increase my vassal count would it?
    As Rockphed says, baron-tier vassals don't count towards the vassal limit. In general, having an extra county with vassal barons is better in every way than having a barony in your demesne. Barons never factionalize or revolt or even desire higher titles, so there's really no reason to keep a barony unless you're not above your demesne limit and don't have a county to replace it with.

I usually find that the tech benefits of having a demesne of widely-distributed counties are outweighed by the various "I want that county" vassal opinion penalties you might pick up. Really, for technology purposes, unless one of your demesne counties is Constantinople, any distribution of demesne is going to be inferior to just parking your spymaster in Constantinople.

I usually pick two nice duchies (or even only one, if it's a really nice duchy, like Brugge), keep all the counties in those duchies, both duchy titles, and the kingdom title for those duchies, and I give all the other duchies in the kingdom to king vassals so they de jure drift out of the kingdom. After a hundred years, none of my vassals want any of my demesne titles. There's no reason to eat the "I want that title" opinion penalty if you don't have to.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    As Rockphed says, baron-tier vassals don't count towards the vassal limit. In general, having an extra county with vassal barons is better in every way than having a barony in your demesne. Barons never factionalize or revolt or even desire higher titles, so there's really no reason to keep a barony unless you're not above your demesne limit and don't have a county to replace it with.

I usually find that the tech benefits of having a demesne of widely-distributed counties are outweighed by the various "I want that county" vassal opinion penalties you might pick up. Really, for technology purposes, unless one of your demesne counties is Constantinople, any distribution of demesne is going to be inferior to just parking your spymaster in Constantinople.

I usually pick two nice duchies (or even only one, if it's a really nice duchy, like Brugge), keep all the counties in those duchies, both duchy titles, and the kingdom title for those duchies, and I give all the other duchies in the kingdom to king vassals so they de jure drift out of the kingdom. After a hundred years, none of my vassals want any of my demesne titles. There's no reason to eat the "I want that title" opinion penalty if you don't have to.
    So, fun fact, my demense includes Constantinople, but, for reasons, I have my capital parked over in Adrianopolis. So for a while I could park my spymaster in Constantinople which I controlled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

As I am Rome, my spymaster is parked in, like, one of the vanishingly few counties of other countries thatr has a higher tech anything than me (which happens to be Tolerance, which I've deliberately not increased...)

My average tech (as of about 1090ish) is about 5-6 and 7 in a few selected techs, so I'm WELL ahead of most of the rest of the world. (On account, I think, of so many viceroylties...)

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar
    That's basically my current set-up. I have just (after a long and tedious time of having to occasionally strip stuff off vassals and hand it back to the right vassal) about got Greece and Italy (the titles of which I destroyed early on) parcelled up and handed out to several kingdoms, leaving me with just the afirementioned duchies and some merchant republics.

I have recently become immortal, so I'm hoping that the long reign bonus is going to eventually make stuff like the opinion bonus not really matter much - and hense I'm starting to look as to whether to try expanding my domain (and basically by handing out some of the baronies and replacing those demesne slots with new counties further out (and thus making a new nexus to spread technology, since as I understand you tech spreads to your demesne fastest, even if its not adjacent to your capital).

(I've had my tech-spreading minions assigned to Rome (Constantinople is my capital) since near the start to give me to points of spread, but the empire is sufficiently big now I'm wondering whether I do just need some extra points.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-01-02 at 04:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I'll be honest, I typically only hold like one to three counties depending on my stewardship score...

However I'll pick up a county like Paris or Constantinople or Rome that have Six subholdings and I'll fill it with castles that I hold and stack up those delicious, delicious Steward and Marshal bonuses to taxes and levy sizes respectively.
    Last edited by Leecros; 2017-01-02 at 12:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    teleporting Hyper Nixon solves problems with Patriotism.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Barons do not count.
    Was the pun intentional?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Was the pun intentional?
    What pun?

So, question: what is the best way to turn an elective empire into a primogeniture one? I got back byzantium, held off a jihad, and took land from the Fatimids. Now my character is old and about to die. What is the best way to make sure that the next Basileous is one of my successor's sons? I would like to actually use the bonuses that "born to the purple" gives.

I just have the base game, so any funny business that involves way of life or legacy of rome will have to wait until I save up and get those.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

7. - Top - End - #37

What pun?
    Barons do not count. Eh? Eh? Because counts outrank them?

So, question: what is the best way to turn an elective empire into a primogeniture one? I got back byzantium, held off a jihad, and took land from the Fatimids. Now my character is old and about to die. What is the best way to make sure that the next Basileous is one of my successor's sons? I would like to actually use the bonuses that "born to the purple" gives.

I just have the base game, so any funny business that involves way of life or legacy of rome will have to wait until I save up and get those.
    Primogeniture takes a long time to achieve, you have to get your crown laws in order. And unless they changed it, a ruler can only change one crown law per lifetime.

Your best bet is to butter up electors with hella stacks of cash, and revoke the duchies of those that don't like you.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

If your eldest son's powerful enough and doesn't have the content trait, he could start a faction for it. I'm not 100% on how the mechanics work (it's probably on the wiki) but if you irritate him enough (court jestership, fire him from the council if he's on it, maybe imprison his children if he has any), he'll probably either form a primogeniture faction or make a play for the throne (which wouldn't be all bad, since you'd have some more time to change the succession rules with your new younger ruler).

Failing that, what Flickerdart said.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Barons do not count. Eh? Eh? Because counts outrank them?
    Barons do not count, but sometimes counts duke it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Muahahahahahahahahahaha!

After befriending, like, half the Miaphisites the world, Emperor Rapacious was finally able to let one of them convicne him to convert! (So, goodbye Orthodox Holy Order, it was nice while it lasted in the several centuries.)

After forcing the conversion of, like, the vast majority of my minions (who are converting their minions now), the process of converting the Roman Empire has begun!

And now that I am immortal, am the right religion and have the counties I want to spread my tech (in theory), now I can return my attention properly to conquest!

State of Roman Empire as of 1140...
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, as the opinion modifier caps out at 100, out of interest, I had a gander at Idunn and her net opinion actually stands at a net 498. She worships the ground I walk on. I would have to, like, literally murder loads of people before she'd even bat an eyelid... Yay frienship!
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2017-01-06 at 08:25 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

PirateCaptain

I feel that I should point out the new dev diary. Was secretly being part of another religion something that was already in the game/another dev diary? Because otherwise a fairly cool new mechanic was just announced in the most unsatisfying way possible.

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I feel that I should point out the new dev diary. Was secretly being part of another religion something that was already in the game/another dev diary? Because otherwise a fairly cool new mechanic was just announced in the most unsatisfying way possible.
    As far as I know, the only "secretly part of another religion" mechanic was an event where another character could accuse you of heresy, and your liege decided whether or not you would get a Heretic malus.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    It has not been officially revealed (as was expounded by one of the devslater in the thread); what we got was basically a teaser.

14. - Top - End - #44

I think they often do things like that. I.e. they don't bother to sanitize their screenshots, and their screenshots are often of a game that is 90% to the next version.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Really obnoxious problem with my mod that I can't figure out.
    Spoiler: Code
    Show
    Code:
    #if you're undead, you eventually accumulate all manner of deformities as your bits fall off
    character_event = {
    	id = Mal.51
    	desc = "EVTDESCMAL51"
    	picture = GFX_evt_sick_character
    	trigger = {
    		trait = zombie
    	}
    	mean_time_to_happen = {
    		years = 10
    	}

option = {
    		name = EVTOPTA6081
    		random_list = {
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = maimed
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = clubfooted
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = harelip
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = hunchback
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = mute
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = ugly
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = weak
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = eunuch
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = blinded
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = deaf
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

#if you're undead, you eventually accumulate all manner of insanities
    character_event = {
    	id = Mal.52
    	desc = "EVTDESCMAL52"
    	picture = GFX_evt_lunatic
    	trigger = {
    		OR = {
    			trait = zombie
    			trait = shade
    			trait = wight
    			trait = lich
    	}
    	mean_time_to_happen = {
    		years = 10
    	}

option = {
    		name = EVTOPTA6081
    		random_list = {
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = stressed
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = depressed
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = lunatic
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = possessed
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = wroth
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = envious
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = cruel
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = cynical
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = paranoid
    			}
    			10 = {
    				add_trait = ruthless
    			}
    		}
    	}
    }

These two events are, as you can see, very similar. They are, as you can see, supposed to fire about once every ten years.

The first one appears to fire at the correct frequency -- it's never actually fired for me that I can recall, but it seems to fire for NPC zombies occasionally, as sometimes I see very old zombies around with various bits missing.

But the second one fires (for the appropriate characters) about once a month, which is way too often, and I can't figure out why.

Anybody have any insight?
    After much stress and aggravation, I found a missing }.

16. - Top - End - #46

Just finished my first campaign, 1066-the hard end date, vanilla, unmodded, no DLC. I quite like this game. I started as the King of Scotland, (well, a large chunk of Scotland. Some folks had to be... convinced to acknowledge my kingship). I finished as the King of Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Portugal, in addition to having absorbed the Orkneys into the Kingdom of Scotland, as well as conquering Iceland, the Duchy of Norfolk, and the Canary Islands.

I think I played the long game with a little bit too much patience- I was just preparing to draw the noose tight on England to give me the territories needed to establish the Empire of Britannia when I ran out of time. Just shortly after my Genius, Diligent king took the throne as well. Ah, alas, lessons for the next game.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been having some fun lately with the Seduction focus, seducing all the Genius Christian ladies in the world and legitimizing any Genius bastards. Only problem is this strategy always makes my wife furious, and they keep murdering me.

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Benthesquid View Post
    Just finished my first campaign, 1066-the hard end date, vanilla, unmodded, no DLC. I quite like this game. I started as the King of Scotland, (well, a large chunk of Scotland. Some folks had to be... convinced to acknowledge my kingship). I finished as the King of Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Portugal, in addition to having absorbed the Orkneys into the Kingdom of Scotland, as well as conquering Iceland, the Duchy of Norfolk, and the Canary Islands.

I think I played the long game with a little bit too much patience- I was just preparing to draw the noose tight on England to give me the territories needed to establish the Empire of Britannia when I ran out of time. Just shortly after my Genius, Diligent king took the throne as well. Ah, alas, lessons for the next game.
    A handy tip for a Christian lacking the cool CBs - make liberal use of pushing claims on others' titles. Invite wanna-be English dukes into your court and push their claims. Bam! They become your vassal, and their territory is added to your realm. You can also put your own minor claim into play by pushing a woman or child's major claim to the same title, and then declaring war on them.

I used these two strategies very effectively as 867 Bulgaria to best the Magyars, form Carpathia, and then swallow the Karling kingdoms one after the other.

I've been having some fun lately with the Seduction focus, seducing all the Genius Christian ladies in the world and legitimizing any Genius bastards. Only problem is this strategy always makes my wife furious, and they keep murdering me.
    Why do you even bother getting married?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A handy tip for a Christian lacking the cool CBs - make liberal use of pushing claims on others' titles. Invite wanna-be English dukes into your court and push their claims. Bam! They become your vassal, and their territory is added to your realm. You can also put your own minor claim into play by pushing a woman or child's major claim to the same title, and then declaring war on them.

I used these two strategies very effectively as 867 Bulgaria to best the Magyars, form Carpathia, and then swallow the Karling kingdoms one after the other.
    Don't you either need to give land to the claimants or be the de jure liege of the claimed title for this to work?
    ithilanor on Steam.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

Why do you even bother getting married?
    For state attributes, mostly.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Look for a wife with the kind trait then, I think that prevents assassination plots.

Or a bit more gamey, imprison her once you notice the plot. I just tested it, you still get her bonus to state attributes, adjusted of course for the diplomacy penalty she receives due to imprisonment.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

I don't get why if you marry a wife well past child bearing age, they get uppity when you legitimise your bastard with your immortal lover. I mean, duck, it's not like you could have any children and they wouldn't inherit anyway because immortal...

(And as I can't marry immortal lady, I too am only marrying for the spousal bonuses...!)

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Don't you either need to give land to the claimants or be the de jure liege of the claimed title for this to work?
    That's what the tooltip says, but I think it checks before the new title is assigned. And landless courtiers are, by default, at your capital and therefore you are always de jure liege.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

In my experience the fastest way to expand is religious CBs. You don't need to worry about attaining claims and on victory you get all holdings in the contested area, to be distributed as you see fit.

That's what I did in my Sieghardinger game. Work up from count to king of Germany, my Genius heir founds the HRE and conquers Zeeland and Sjaelland. Move capital to Sjaelland, convert to capital religion through decision and instantly enough religious authority to reform Norse paganism. With a bribe here and there I had enough vassal opinion to get most of them to convert right away, those who refused lost their titles one after the other. There were a few vassal's vassals who remained Christian holdouts but they never caused real trouble.

After that I could just swallow up the rest of Italy and the four separate kingdoms in France duchy by duchy until I got bored. Even casually conquered Tunis, gave the title to a son and granted him independence to lower my Threat score. He made king of Africa later all on his own.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    In my experience the fastest way to expand is religious CBs. You don't need to worry about attaining claims and on victory you get all holdings in the contested area, to be distributed as you see fit.

That's what I did in my Sieghardinger game. Work up from count to king of Germany, my Genius heir founds the HRE and conquers Zeeland and Sjaelland. Move capital to Sjaelland, convert to capital religion through decision and instantly enough religious authority to reform Norse paganism. With a bribe here and there I had enough vassal opinion to get most of them to convert right away, those who refused lost their titles one after the other. There were a few vassal's vassals who remained Christian holdouts but they never caused real trouble.

After that I could just swallow up the rest of Italy and the four separate kingdoms in France duchy by duchy until I got bored. Even casually conquered Tunis, gave the title to a son and granted him independence to lower my Threat score. He made king of Africa later all on his own.
    If you win a holy war, you become leige of any rulers of your religion who got conquered. So when the ruler of Livonia converted instead of letting me conquer him and then lost a county, I got the bishop and city vassals when I re-conquered his lands.

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it is to take on the Mongols. They showed up and conquered Cumania. At the same time, I took the duchy of Crimea from Cumania. The guy I gave the duchy to died without male issue, so his cousin inherited. I kept Cumania, but lost the tribe in Livonia that I had given him to the Mongols. I currently have the Wendish empire (minus 1 or 2 counties), but my desmense is over in Pskov rather than in Krakow or Prussia where I have actually invested tech points. Any suggestions for taking on the Mongols or getting them to attack the Persians?
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

26. - Top - End - #56

Religious CBs are great if a) you're near heathen lands, and b) those heathens are not all going to dogpile you the moment you declare and c) their lands are worth a damn. This is a rare combination indeed.

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it is to take on the Mongols. They showed up and conquered Cumania. At the same time, I took the duchy of Crimea from Cumania. The guy I gave the duchy to died without male issue, so his cousin inherited. I kept Cumania, but lost the tribe in Livonia that I had given him to the Mongols. I currently have the Wendish empire (minus 1 or 2 counties), but my desmense is over in Pskov rather than in Krakow or Prussia where I have actually invested tech points. Any suggestions for taking on the Mongols or getting them to attack the Persians?
    Mongols are tricky because they get a lot of event troops, so they don't have a period of gathering men at the start of the war. But because they are tribal, the liege's relationship with his vassals matters a lot. So try your best to murder the current Great Khan.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #57

Mongols are tricky because they get a lot of event troops, so they don't have a period of gathering men at the start of the war. But because they are tribal, the liege's relationship with his vassals matters a lot. So try your best to murder the current Great Khan.
    So it is time to Kill the Great Khan? Okay, how do I do that? And should I try to kill him before I declare war, or start the plot after war is started? Should I let him build a bigger empire first, or will that just make things harder?

Also, if somebody is in my borders gathering forces to reclaim their RIGHTFUL TITLE, can I give them a landed title, wait for them to start the war, and then join to enlarge my empire? Or would giving them a landed title break their attempts to gather forces? I think I have an adventurer in my court right now and want to know the best way to utilize him.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there any way to get a special casus belli against one of your faith's holy sites that is occupied by a rival faith? I'm trying to reclaim enough holy sites to reform the Germanic faith, but I have a couple of Zealot councilors that won't support the declaration if I just use the "pagans can attack any neighboring county" CB. If I could reframe it as a religious conflict, they should fall into line.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Used to be that the Great Khan got an event for moar event troops that he could use once in his life, so even though everyone recommended murdering him, repeatedly killing the Mongol leader was literally the worst thing to do (unless their mandatory Ultimogeniture gave them a child Khan, then you were set).

Dunno if that's the case any more, though.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

30. - Top - End - #60

Yes, the slickest move I pulled was pushing the claim of a Englishwoman to the Duchy of Northhampton, sending my councilor to fabricate a claim on the County of Northhampton while that war was still underway, forcing the British to grant her independence, and then invading them almost immediately from the North while the English invaded from the south, successfully carving off the county and laying the ground for my usurpation of the Duchy a few years down the line.