New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Crusader Kings II Thread IV: Time to Create a New Title

Just had a rather awful run a few generations into my recent game. And by a few, I mean I've been through something like fourteen rulers now.

First, the Aztecs invaded. Then, the Mongols. I'm still some nobody duke in the HRE, so for the moment this isn't a problem, just a cause for profuse sweating and being thankful I'm not Ireland or Rus right now. Time went on as it normally did, with me repelling the fourth attempt by a neighbouring county to fabricate a claim on and steal my home county.

We went to war with England, and in my time as commander I was captured and made a eunuch. Luckily, I had exactly one child - a son. I spent the next four years launching a massive plot in which I orchestrated the murder of the king of England for being, like, totally uncool.

Then, the black death hit. It swept across the entire map, leaving only the mongols untouched. I locked myself in the castle and held out as long as I can. Unfortunately, not only did I get attacked by some ungrateful, diseased peasants, but I contracted the plague. Luckily, my physician cured me by chopping my face off, giving me a sweet iron mask.

Then death came to me in my sleep in the guise of a nun. My face half missing, I leaped from my bed and shouted "It's time to duel!" before challenging her to a shadow game of chess for my soul. Or at least, that's how I assume that conversation went.

Being a genius, I started white, and used my tactical cunning to do all of the wisest moves. I lost, and death killed me. Rats.

Due to the by then receding plague, my succession went kaput. I jumped from son to cousin to aunt to nephew in a matter of a few years. All my generations of grooming and planning and political murdering, completely snuffed out in half an hour.

My new character has a surprise rival. This rival takes my home province in a war that drains my entire treasury to lose by a hair. My home province falls. My rival cackles and then, against all expectation, becomes Kaiser. He immediately revokes my titles, then dies of old age.

So that's where I am. I can't even fathom how it came to this.

(Created by me. I should probably put that on there somewhere.)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoreward View Post

So that's where I am. I can't even fathom how it came to this.
    Your signature literally says "cursed, of course."
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have been playing this game for 470 plus years. And now the neighboring Islamic state had declared a Holy War for Egypt. Problem, I gave away my provinces in Italy to totally focus on my provinces in...Egypt. There is no way the Byzantine Empire, and this idiot Emperor, will save me. The Empire is a shadow of itself. It will lose. What happens if they take Egypt? Am I displaced? Wiped out? Forced to convert?

I am the next person in line for the throne! Everybody is voting for me! I have had family members on the throne before but not the one I was playing. I am so close....so close...*weeps*
    Avatar crafted by the Great and All Knowing Mr_Saturn

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

Let's Play -Road Of Queens - CKII India AAR

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valley View Post
    I have been playing this game for 470 plus years. And now the neighboring Islamic state had declared a Holy War for Egypt. Problem, I gave away my provinces in Italy to totally focus on my provinces in...Egypt. There is no way the Byzantine Empire, and this idiot Emperor, will save me. The Empire is a shadow of itself. It will lose. What happens if they take Egypt? Am I displaced? Wiped out? Forced to convert?

I am the next person in line for the throne! Everybody is voting for me! I have had family members on the throne before but not the one I was playing. I am so close....so close...*weeps*
    If it was any other war type you'd be okay. But holy war expunges all people from all holdings in the target duchy. If you have any holdings outside that duchy you will be displaced to them only, but otherwise you become unlanded and thus game over.

Isn't Crusader Kings 2 fun?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

5. - Top - End - #125

Quote Originally Posted by tonberrian View Post
    If it was any other war type you'd be okay. But holy war expunges all people from all holdings in the target duchy. If you have any holdings outside that duchy you will be displaced to them only, but otherwise you become unlanded and thus game over.

Isn't Crusader Kings 2 fun?
    If you have vassal landholders of Count or above outside the affected area, you automatically usurp one of their titles when you have none remaining. This may also work with baronies, but I am not sure, since it could lead to a hilarious situation where an Emperor owns 0 counties.

If you are losing a holy war, you can convert to make peace instantly, though maybe it's only pagans that can do that.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you have vassal landholders of Count or above outside the affected area, you automatically usurp one of their titles when you have none remaining. This may also work with baronies, but I am not sure, since it could lead to a hilarious situation where an Emperor owns 0 counties.

If you are losing a holy war, you can convert to make peace instantly, though maybe it's only pagans that can do that.
    If you're left with only a barony you lose. You need to be a count or above to declare wars.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

7. - Top - End - #127

I'm doomed. But I can fight to the end! Let us see how many I take to hell with me!

Off to play the game and watch my centuries old game die a slow, painful death.

HEY! Nobody kills that many of my followers in one round except ME! Or maybe the goblin!

If I thought I could have slipped laser-headed sharks through the WOTC editing staff, I would have.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Your signature literally says "cursed, of course."
    Well, you can remind my signature to stop being such a cheeky git. If I made it, I can unmake it!

Oh well, at least I still exist. The holy war fiasco above is proof that there's still one more thing which the game could throw at me.

(Created by me. I should probably put that on there somewhere.)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that it is only independent people who can do that. However, if you did switch religions before the war ended, you would keep all your titles. All your vassals would get kicked out and you would probably have titles revoked like crazy. Best plan: figure out how to murder the attacker several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

I'm doomed. But I can fight to the end! Let us see how many I take to hell with me!

Off to play the game and watch my centuries old game die a slow, painful death.
    If you can get enough local superiority to win battles if not the war, try to chase down the stack containing the war leader or his heir. If you're lucky you can capture or kill him and force the war to end that way, and the heir should be worth enough to at least get a white peace.. if nothing else, force them to keep fighting and hope their ruler suffers a fatal injury.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Fight them on the beaches, fight them on the streets, fight them on the silty floodplains.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ettin in the Playground

I always get into trouble when I get to the Empire stage. I pretty much can always get from the county through to Kingdom without too much difficulty, and can build up my Demense areas quite well. The issues really begin when I have vassals that have more troops than me (basically anyone with Kingdom-level strength if I am the Emperor). All it takes is one bad war/revolt or my heir having ****ty military skills and the (usually family member) King wants my crown too. I've tried giving it away to random new nobles so there's no claims, but that rarely works out either.

Is it bad of me to give my heir titles before they replace me? I like doing it as it gives them a chance to earn some money and prestige before they become my playable character.

Playing pretty much Vanilla though. I need the DLC to go on sale.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

13. - Top - End - #133
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    I always get into trouble when I get to the Empire stage. I pretty much can always get from the county through to Kingdom without too much difficulty, and can build up my Demense areas quite well. The issues really begin when I have vassals that have more troops than me (basically anyone with Kingdom-level strength if I am the Emperor). All it takes is one bad war/revolt or my heir having ****ty military skills and the (usually family member) King wants my crown too. I've tried giving it away to random new nobles so there's no claims, but that rarely works out either.

Is it bad of me to give my heir titles before they replace me? I like doing it as it gives them a chance to earn some money and prestige before they become my playable character.

Playing pretty much Vanilla though. I need the DLC to go on sale.
    So long as your personal desmense is fairly built up and you don't lose it, between 25 and 50% of your military should be from your personal levy. In my Byzantium game I recently had about 12K of personal troops and 50K of levy, plus the 3500 of Varangian guard. Then I decided to try breaking the Mongols down and got severely trounced (I didn't coordinate my dates of arrival well and was attacking across a river) so a bunch of my vassals took the opportunity to rebel for elective succession. That was about 2 in the morning day before yesterday. I have since uninstalled the game because it was taking too much of my time. I'll come pick it up again during the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #134

The answer is - don't have Kingdom level vassals! Dukes are more than good enough for the likes of you. Play them against each other to ensure that nobody has more than the 2 duchies they are entitled to.

The only time you should have Kings is when you claimed a kingdom for a subject. Then they will be eternally grateful to you... until either one of you dies, so take that opportunity to suppress his titles and lands.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

The answer is - don't have Kingdom level vassals! Dukes are more than good enough for the likes of you. Play them against each other to ensure that nobody has more than the 2 duchies they are entitled to.

The only time you should have Kings is when you claimed a kingdom for a subject. Then they will be eternally grateful to you... until either one of you dies, so take that opportunity to suppress his titles and lands.
    Typically I have the kingdom titles lying around because I use them for De Jure claims (claim half the country, get the King title, use it on the rest to vassalize or conquer).

I usually have a big demense with about half my troops.

Should I be destroying Kingdom titles I hold then besides my main one? I get so tired of seeing "-20, X wants title <King of Y>"

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post

Should I be destroying Kingdom titles I hold then besides my main one? I get so tired of seeing "-20, X wants title <King of Y>"
    That's what I do, usually. Once you get old, start destroying them - it will not matter once you die, and the -X for destroying a title will get you used to the -X for short reign that you'll have soon.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

17. - Top - End - #137

That was interesting. Won the war.
    Spoiler:
    Show

That's good.

But during the war I noticed my Brother-In-Law was getting more votes to be the next Emperor. No doubt because he was a Prince of the Byzantine Empire.

That's bad.

So I spied on him and found out he was up to something and had him arrested. I figured you can't be voted into the throne if you were in jail. I was wrong.

Spoiler:
    Show

That's weird.

And when his father died....
    Spoiler:
    Show

That's strange.

He was so nice he even kept me in the Council!
    Spoiler:
    Show

That's awkward.

I decided the least I could do was ransom him...to himself.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Now we friendly in-laws and I am back on the top of the list again. With more votes then ever.
    Spoiler:
    Show

I would like to take this moment to say that this is one crazy game.

I am not sure if I should laugh at this or cry at this.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

If you were feeling evil enough, should have kept him in prison. The diplomacy penalty for being oublietted plus being at your court as a prisoner would have made it easy to faction and/or plot against him. But letting him out is certainly better for the stability of the realm as a whole, what with preventing Regency nonsense and the like.

Edit: Or, since you're in the Byzantine Empire and presumably are one of the Byzantine culture groups, you could have castrated him before the previous ruler died and activated the inheritance. Merely being in prison does not disqualify somebody from inheritance, but being castrated does.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2017-02-12 at 10:39 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    If you were feeling evil enough, should have kept him in prison. The diplomacy penalty for being oublietted plus being at your court as a prisoner would have made it easy to faction and/or plot against him. But letting him out is certainly better for the stability of the realm as a whole, what with preventing Regency nonsense and the like.

Edit: Or, since you're in the Byzantine Empire and presumably are one of the Byzantine culture groups, you could have castrated him before the previous ruler died and activated the inheritance. Merely being in prison does not disqualify somebody from inheritance, but being castrated does.
    Things turned out well. Kind of. He died in battle in some war with Saxony....

Now I just have to last long enough to make sure my Bloodline stays on the throne. Oh, and the Empire does not fall apart, of course.

But mean I have to live as long as I can. That may be the hard part.

Oh...and maybe I should not lead troops into battle...

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well, I just bought Paradox's entire suite of Grand Strategy games for 25 bucks (had HoI3 instead of 4 but honestly 4 looked kind of bad anyway). No DLC, but uh. Nice knowing you guys.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Well, I just bought Paradox's entire suite of Grand Strategy games for 25 bucks (had HoI3 instead of 4 but honestly 4 looked kind of bad anyway). No DLC, but uh. Nice knowing you guys.
    4 is rapidly getting better. From what I have seen, Paradox has made great strides in reducing the amount of system mastery and micromanagement required to play the game without compromising depth, with things like battle plans.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2017-02-15 at 10:31 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

22. - Top - End - #142

My name is Eldan, and I'm a power-hungry Bastard ("Hi, Eldan!")

Remember that low-key one county game as Kernev? Yeah, I'm now King of Brittany and Wales and, with the Franks splintered beyond recognition, one of the stronger Christian powers in Europe. I've got Brittany, Normandy, Anjou, Cornwall, Wales, parts of Ireland and relatives on the thrones of Aquitaine and Scotland. I wasn't even trying to conquer so much, it just happened.

Help.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2017-02-16 at 05:36 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

Remember that low-key one county game as Kernev? Yeah, I'm now King of Brittany and Wales and, with the Franks splintered beyond recognition, one of the stronger Christian powers in Europe. I've got Brittany, Normandy, Anjou, Cornwall, Wales, parts of Ireland and relatives on the thrones of Aquitaine and Scotland. I wasn't even trying to conquer so much, it just happened.

Help.
    I would help you if I could but have my own problems. In just a few months of being Emperor I think I have had more plot pop-ups then over 400 years of being a Doux (Duke). None of them are about me but, my God, I didn't realize how many people hate my spymaster (besides me) and how many of them just hate each other. I have to move at speed One just to be able to handle all the plots, requests, messages, and politics.

I may end up playing one day per day at this rate.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ettin in the Playground

I would help you if I could but have my own problems. In just a few months of being Emperor I think I have had more plot pop-ups then over 400 years of being a Doux (Duke). None of them are about me but, my God, I didn't realize how many people hate my spymaster (besides me) and how many of them just hate each other. I have to move at speed One just to be able to handle all the plots, requests, messages, and politics.

I may end up playing one day per day at this rate.
    I generally set it to auto-tell-plotters-to-stop-plotting and plot notifications to only go into the log. Generally not worth paying attention to.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post

Help.
    Based on my few hours of experience with this game, this is what happens when you chase every opportunity. Stuff just sort of naturally falls into your realm.

Note, this is you, not the generic you. When I play chasing after every opportunity I get my entire army spread into a thin paste across the breadth of Wales by the English, and then accidentally aggro my ally Scotland when I try to take some beachfront property elsewhere. Maybe I'll just stay on Noob Island, becoming king there wasn't too hard.

Also, important lesson learned: if your vassals already hate you, don't raise their levies or make any changes to Crown Law. Just settle down and have parties until you die and get replaced with someone who isn't Arbitrary. Maybe hand out a couple of duchies to the people you can trust if you're running Tanistry. Which was probably a suboptimal idea but whatever I'm learning the game and it's historically accurate.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2017-02-17 at 02:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    I generally set it to auto-tell-plotters-to-stop-plotting and plot notifications to only go into the log. Generally not worth paying attention to.
    Oh, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's often better to try to imprison plotters, since that way you can get ransom money. Still, doing that is time-intensive and involves a lot of clicking around, so I can see why people don't always do it.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

What we really need is an "autostop plots unless they're my heir improving their position without harming the realm or a powerful vassal I would really like an excuse to imprison and/or revoke titles from".

29. - Top - End - #149

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    What we really need is an "autostop plots unless they're my heir improving their position without harming the realm or a powerful vassal I would really like an excuse to imprison and/or revoke titles from".
    Programmatically, "auto-stop plots involving X rank and below" would probably hit most of the cases you're looking to hit. Set it to Count and then you only get involved when it's Duke on Duke. Or "auto-stop plots except those involving X rank and above" set to Duke, so you can get involved as soon as any Dukes do.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

Programmatically, "auto-stop plots involving X rank and below" would probably hit most of the cases you're looking to hit. Set it to Count and then you only get involved when it's Duke on Duke. Or "auto-stop plots except those involving X rank and above" set to Duke, so you can get involved as soon as any Dukes do.
    Or autostop unless the plotter is flagged important to the player