New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalt Gunslinger//? (Seeking Advice/Second Opinions)

Quote Originally Posted by Serafina View Post
    I refer you to this post, or this thread, or just to sum it up "Wizard Spellslinger 1/Magus Eldritch Archer X".
    Combine your gunnery with spells by casting a spell while making full-attacks with your gun, then deliver the effects of those spells with your bullets while boosting their DC.

Since this campaign has advanced firearms, you don't even have to worry about reload issues - just go with your rifle, make it your arcane gun/bonded object, and you're good to go.

Granted, this may or may not fit with what you had in mind for your character, background-wise.
    Do note that you could also go Spellslinger 1/some other casting class X. Arcane Gun works with any spells you cast. Cleric, Druid, Hunter and Warpriest all work just fine
    However, that won't give you "fire full-round attack while also spellcasting, with an extra attack from spellstrike". For that, you need at least 6 levels of Magus and the Broad Study Arcana.
    Unfortunately, full casters are off the table (which includes Spellslinger for some stupid reason, but the DM has already ruled that it counts), although Magus is available (as it's brought up in the first post). Magus is definitely interesting,and Eldritch Archer is even better than Myrmidarch. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ualaa View Post
    If you're mixing and matching...

A few sorcerer levels, for a decent armor bonus and shield bonus via Mage Armor & Shield, only need a CHA of 11 and three levels (plus the trait Magical Knack) to have 3x Shield (first three combats) and Mage Armor for 15+ hours of the day.

The monk levels would combine for WIS to AC. Wisdom is the stat for your Grit, so it is probably decent. Combining Dex and Wis (both as dodge bonuses), get you a better set of odds for the gun fight showdown since your touch AC is a lot higher that way.
    For non-touch AC, the Sorcerer levels add 8 more AC.

The Inquisitor I liked, because you would be quick on the draw. That is also Wisdom based.

These are all high Will save classes, for the weak save.
    Unfortunately, not 6/8 skill point per level classes, but four isn't bad.
    I feel like I've already seen this exact post.

*checks*

I have, you suggested it earlier and I responded. As previously mentioned, Sorcerer's off the table, and I'd be disinclined to use it since it's based on my intended dump stat. A Monk dip is interesting, as previously mentioned, and Inquisitor looks great, as previous mentioned.

Also, Inquisitor gets 6 skill points per level, although I suppose it's balanced out by the Sorcerer levels in that build? Eh, irrelevant.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You said a full caster was off the table.
    I assumed a few levels dip might be okay; did not know it was going to be your dump stat.

I didn't really elaborate on the reasoning for the classes, in the earlier post.
    Mainly because it was time to leave for work...
    I did that in the second post.

I'd still look at good will save classes.
    Ideally that make use of Wis and Dex, which are likely your best stats as a Gunslinger.

If a full caster is entirely off the table then disregard a Cleric.
    But three levels in the class would be strong Will saves over those levels, and a smattering of 1st and 2nd level spells.
    After going Inquisitor 2, and Monk 2, and having the DM know you're not advancing beyond a few levels, that might be a worthwhile dip as opposed to a full caster class progression.

If you can use the Dreamscarred Press material, specifically Ultimate Psionics...
    Take a look at a four level dip into Soulknife.
    They're a Ref/Will class, so that's your poor save.
    At 2nd level, you can take Focused Offense as a blade skill, and at 4th level you can take Focused Defense.
    That is WIS to attack/damage rolls and WIS to armor (as a dodge bonus) while using either Combat Expertise or Fighting Defensively and psionically focused.
    The Monk AC (WIS) shouldn't stack with the Soulknife, but the Soulknife can wear armor and get the bonus.
    If you were going that route, you could archetype the monk.
    Soulknife could take the archetype 'Gifted Blade', which at 3rd level starts to get them psionics from a very limited list.
    One of the first powers (potentially the only power on a 3/4 level dip) would be Force Screen (which functions like Shield, except it doesn't protect against Magic Missiles); by S.Knife 3 they have the Power Points to have it up for 10+ combats per day.
    If you take Soulknife to at least 3rd level (and don't take the Soulbolt archetype), you can take the feat 'Fighter's Blade' which makes your Mindblade count as if you were four levels higher (to a maximum of your actual level).
    ~ Ualaa

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh, I figured a one-level dip would be okay. Really, you're just there for the Arcane Gun feature - normally also for the weapon proficiency, but this is not necessary if you're using abundant guns. Which boils down to "this 1-level dip gives me up to +5 to my spell DCs", so of course you can go without it.

Also, if you do go for Magus, do not the Siege Gunner gunslinger archetype. It bases your Grit off Intelligence and actually makes you pretty good with shotguns, with increased damage and scatter-range. The two bonus siege-feats might be useless, but then again the wild west also had cannons around, so who knows.
    Do note that you might have to ask your GM how Scatter-attacks interact with Ranged Spellstrike - but it ought to be rather simple, given that you are effectively just making a bunch of attack-rolls. So your spell would just apply to one such attack roll (and if you get multiple rays, you can split the up between targets), which is pretty simple.

Combine that with an animal companion via feats, and you can have your rider barrel through enemies, blasting them with your magic shotgun left and right. Which ought to be pretty sweet.

As an alternative to the Animal Ally feat, you can go exotic and grab a Mauler Familiar. At level 3, it can turn medium-sized, big enough for a Goblin to ride (and it can always turn back tiny, making it sneaker).
    You can use the Beastblade Archetype if you want, it stacks with Eldritch Archer just fine.
    This allows you to actually grab a flyer as your mount, via the Flying Fox-Bat, Hawk or Owl.

Compared to an animal companion, the familiar will not have any feats - but actually a better BAB (your full progression, rather than only going up to +12), better saves (yours), and not that much less HP (it has half yours. An animal companion with 20 Constitution would have 152 HP at level 20, if you get yourself up to 20 Con by then and use retraining to max your HDs, your familiar gets 150 HP).
    So whether you want that or not is mostly whether you want a flying mount, or some exotic mount, or whether one of those from animal ally will suffice.